Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Oxxidation posted:

oh lol i totally forgot about that other thing

one part i did like was the about-face of trench and darling's characters in the final act. we're led to believe that trench was the weary hard-bitten leader trying and failing to keep darling's reckless experimentation in check and that's what caused the Hiss, but in reality darling did everything right and it was trench (first in his pointlessly risky decision to venture into Slide 36, then in his growing Hiss-induced paranoia) who destroyed the FBC

darling's only real fuckup involved his abduction and then improper care of dylan, which tbf is a pretty big fuckup

im also thinking that Darling's song to Jesse in the final Oceanview Hotel might be dlc hooks because he keeps telling her that she's DYNAMITE which i think is some sort of coded message about using dynamite to blow something up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i also have a crackpot theory that dylan isn't real and was created by polaris/jesse to throw the fbc off of the scent of jesse/polaris, they're monitoring her but only as a "backup"

edit: i think that the hiss incantation is actually specifically directed at jesse and states this, "The hole in your room is a hole in you. You came and we let you in through the hole in you. You have always been here, the only child."

Al! fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 3, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Al! posted:

im also thinking that Darling's song to Jesse in the final Oceanview Hotel might be dlc hooks because he keeps telling her that she's DYNAMITE which i think is some sort of coded message about using dynamite to blow something up

my take is that darling became a resonance-based lifeform like Hedron through over-exposure to her frequency and has actually spent the game covertly helping jesse out. all those monitors that mysteriously pop on to display his instructional videos are actually him "speaking" to jesse and giving her background on the FBC, and in the finale he drops all pretense and contacts her directly through the Hotline to give her that final push

that Dynamite video is his final message to her, just his way of telling her "go on, you got this"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Al! posted:

i also have a crackpot theory that dylan isn't real and was created by polaris/jesse to throw the fbc off of the scent of jesse/polaris, they're monitoring her but only as a "backup"

In the first conversation with Dylan he points that both he and his sister have gender-neutral names, which I thought might be leading to some sort of "who was even real all along anyway" reveal but it didn't seem to come up again.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

"the thunder song distorts you" could also be a sign that the incantation is specifically for jesse, if you take it that the service weapon is a form of mjolner, or even more literally if you consider the poets of the fall to be either scandanavian deities or their puppets

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'm getting a crash to desktop like every ten minutes. This is loving annoying since I really like the game otherwise. Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: latest Nvidia drivers are installed, I'm on an RTX 2080, 16 gigs of RAM, i9 9900.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just reading through the hiss incantation i could probably lyricsgenius it to cover the entire plot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there a file in-game anywhere that fully transcribes the incantation?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

Not as a collectible but the fake credits become a transcript that repeats several times before it's unreadable so a recorded playthrough of that bit should have it.

There is a file about sending staff to listen to floating people and write it down, carefully so there probably *should* be a transcript somewhere.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

i didnt find one but i found a full transcript here

https://www.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/cwwa2k/full_hiss_incantation/

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

haveblue posted:

In the first conversation with Dylan he points that both he and his sister have gender-neutral names, which I thought might be leading to some sort of "who was even real all along anyway" reveal but it didn't seem to come up again.

It makes way more sense to me if the “only child” lines from the incantation are saying Jesse and Dylan are two halves of the same.

Or even more if you take it as referring to Polaris. She’s always been there, she’s the only child (of Hedron). Maybe the Hiss have issues separating her conciousness from Jesse’s?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The game gave a bunch of hints about the fate of Northmoor, the directory before Trench, but I'm surprised none of them paid off. But based on the comments about the Director's main duty being to keep the lights on, and a few offhand comments about how he has no recorded date of death and how he was second only to Jesse in paranatural power: he's definitely inside the reactor, right? Because someone is in there, and it makes most sense that he's in there literally keeping the lights on

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 3, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slanderer posted:

The game gave a bunch of hints about the fate of Northmoor, the directory before Trench, but I'm surprised none of them paid off. But based on the comments about the Director's main duty being to keep the lights on, and a few offhand comments about how he has no recorded date of death and how he was second only to Jesse in paranatural power: he's definitely inside the reactor, right? Because someone is in there, and it makes most sense that he's in there literally keeping the lights on

NSC stands for “Northmoor Sarcophagus Containment”

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

power crystals posted:

It makes way more sense to me if the “only child” lines from the incantation are saying Jesse and Dylan are two halves of the same.

Or even more if you take it as referring to Polaris. She’s always been there, she’s the only child (of Hedron). Maybe the Hiss have issues separating her conciousness from Jesse’s?

What if she is not from this world?. The one therapy recording where she recites part of the poem where she got the name Polaris from and is told that the supposed author is not a poet at all gave me Fringe parallel reality vibes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slanderer posted:

What if she is not from this world?. The one therapy recording where she recites part of the poem where she got the name Polaris from and is told that the supposed author is not a poet at all gave me Fringe parallel reality vibes

zane is a poet, and a key figure in Alan Wake, which means his existence got redacted to hell and back by the FBC. most if not all of jesse’s psychiatrists were probably on the take

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

NSC stands for “Northmoor Sarcophagus Containment”

Ah poo poo I just looked this up and there are even thermal camera images of him in the control room. Well good to know I guess lol

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wengy posted:

I'm getting a crash to desktop like every ten minutes. This is loving annoying since I really like the game otherwise. Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: latest Nvidia drivers are installed, I'm on an RTX 2080, 16 gigs of RAM, i9 9900.

I had this problem (also with an RTX card) and this is what worked for me:

guppy posted:

Crashing update: I just played a little bit without crashing. Unfortunately it's the morning and I have to get ready to work, but I'll try a more extended test tonight to see if the problem is actually resolved. Here are the things I did:

1. Deleted renderer.ini in the main game folder. This advice was going around and I thought it was dumb -- I opened it up in Notepad and it looked perfectly normal -- so I didn't do it before, but before I could bitch on their forums that their advice didn't help I figured I should at least try it. Obviously this seems to have reset my display settings. More on this in a moment.

2. Opened GeForce Experience and let it "optimize" or whatever. I had not done this before because I had manually updated the drivers and that should have been good enough, but I thought, what the hell.

At this point I opened the game, and it was actually way worse! My screen flickered between off, on-but-black, and brief glimpses of my screen, and the game never loaded. I used the Ctrl+Alt+Del menu to sign out, but canceled the sign out (I had an unsaved Notepad document open that was preventing it) in a last-ditch effort to see if I could get back to the desktop. I was able to get back to the desktop, BUT a bunch of extraneous stay-resident programs were closed. More on this in a moment.

3. Launched the game and played. I then died several times to the first named mob I've encountered, and then had to go, but everything worked fine during that time.

I had monkeyed with the display settings. I assume they are now set back to default as a result of deleting that .ini file, because the game is running in fullscreen instead of borderless. I have no idea what "optimizations" GeForce Experience made. As far as the closed programs go, they include Skype, which probably doesn't matter, but I also have a couple of stupid gamer nerd peripherals (Corsair RGB keyboard, Arctis SteelSeries headset) that both have their own stupid gamer nerd control suites to manage stuff like color-changing, and those got closed too. It's also possible that there's some other thing that was running that I don't remember.

Some possibilities:
  • The problem isn't fixed and I just haven't played long enough to encounter it again.
  • Deleting renderer.ini fixed the problem. If this is the case, I dont yet know if setting it back to Borderless will cause it to eat poo poo again. I'm going to keep playing in fullscreen for now, and if I go an hour or two without crashes I can try setting back and see if the problem returns. That's a big if!
  • Letting GeForce Experience do its auto optimization stuff fixed the problem. That would be bizarre, but it's possible.
  • One of the closed programs was causing problems. If the problem stays gone and the Borderless thing doesn't cause it to return, I can try reopening these one at a time and see which one causes the problem to recur.

That's about everything I can think of. This has been pretty frustrating, so if the problem stays gone, maybe this info will help somebody else.

I've now played 10+ hours with no further crashes. I have successfully set it back to Borderless now and had no issues with it. I strongly suspect the problem was an interaction with some third-party software, so watch out for that, especially audio like a headset package or something like Nahimic. Are you on Windows 8.1, by any chance?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

zane is a poet, and a key figure in Alan Wake, which means his existence got redacted to hell and back by the FBC. most if not all of jesse’s psychiatrists were probably on the take

Zane used the power that Cauldron Lake gives creative people to write himself and all his work out of existence, aside from one shoebox full of books of his poetry.

How Jesse knew one of his poems, I have no idea.

I loving love how this game is.explicitly tied to Alan Wake.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Ah thanks, I barely remember Alan Wake

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this line from the incantation "The egg cracks and the truth will emerge out of you. You are home. You remind us of home. You’ve taken your boss with your boss with you." absolutely has to refer to Hedron cracking apart, her being transported to the hiss's "home" which was partially destroyed in the fire, her reminding the hiss of home because she was tainted by that slide when she used it originally in its uncorrupted/destroyed state. the taking her boss with her boss with her referring to polaris being the piece of her "boss" being kept inside her (and possibly her link with the astral plane and the Board)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Slanderer posted:

There's some evidence in the game to suggest that Jesse and Dylan are parallel universe versions of each other whose realities merged during the Ordinary AWE, each having the false memories of the other, but I don't think it ever fully committed in that direction. I'd have to check the data logs to see if Jesse and Dylan ever talked about their lives together before they found the slide projector.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

guppy posted:

I had this problem (also with an RTX card) and this is what worked for me:

I've now played 10+ hours with no further crashes. I have successfully set it back to Borderless now and had no issues with it. I strongly suspect the problem was an interaction with some third-party software, so watch out for that, especially audio like a headset package or something like Nahimic. Are you on Windows 8.1, by any chance?

Thanks man, I tried your recommended steps and while I don't have time to test it extensively, I think you might be on to something: I have a nerd mouse and a nerd keyboard by Logitech, and I've been playing crash-free for like 30 minutes since quitting out of their software (and since using Geforce Experience to "optimize" the game's setting). Let's see if this holds up.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Slanderer posted:

Ah thanks, I barely remember Alan Wake
Key facts to remember about Alan Wake (Major Spoilers for Alan Wake)

1. Zane as mentioned was a poet. He tried using the Dark Presence to bring back his wife, but wound up creating the big bad of Alan Wake. I forget if he accidently made his wife the host of the Dark Presence or something like that. Again, he wrote himself out of existence to contain it.
2. Alan Wake also accidentally summoned the Dark Presence. He was indirectly aided by Tor and Odin Anderson, basically using their various supply caches to fight the Taken. It's implied there's more going on to the Andersons besides having fought the Dark Presence in the past, because their songs keep referring to events they couldn't have experienced.
3. Alan's manager and friend Barry Wheeler helped him a few times and mostly knew what was going on. He survived the first game and is mentioned as being a manager to the Andersons in American Nightmare. He's also probably the smartest person in horror fiction because he literally wrapped himself in christmas lights to keep the Taken at bay.
4. Alan Wake wrote himself out of existence as well, but figured out a way back to our world by using his old scripts of the show Night Springs; I forget how it worked, but the ending implies he got back to the real world, maybe.
5. The Poets of the Fall song for American Nightmare, Balance Slays The Demon, in addition to again referring to the plot, has a section that when played backwards says "It will happen again, in a town called Ordinary"
6. Not an Alan Wake spoiler, but there's a file in Quantum Break which references a event caused by frequent blackouts in Ordinary. I'm curious if there are any references to QB in Control.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This might be a silly question, but approximately how long is this game? Remedy's games don't typically pan out to 50 hour monsters so the addition of a incremental upgrade system seems weird.

Basically, is it worth it to go out of your way for the upgrades besides unlocking new guns?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

CuddleCryptid posted:

This might be a silly question, but approximately how long is this game? Remedy's games don't typically pan out to 50 hour monsters so the addition of a incremental upgrade system seems weird.

Basically, is it worth it to go out of your way for the upgrades besides unlocking new guns?
If you do all the right things to avoid having to grind for mods, maybe 10 hours at most?

I guess maybe the weird upgrade system is to encourage you to stick around and find more of the cool sidequests, but still

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alan didn't write himself out of existence like Zane did because people all remember him and his works still exist. Incidental dialogue in Control mentions that his book series is now a movie series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe 10 hours if you're only rushing the story beats, a good 20-25 hours to clear out the entire map with sidequests and secrets.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think it took me about 20 hours but i was painstakingly completing all of the non-alert sidequests and scouring the environment for lore

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Am I the only one who was getting consistently lost during the first 10 or so hours of the game? I finally had to slow down and realize I had to read signs instead of just blindly following the icon on the map. I know that sounds obvious but it was definitely a change from most 'action' games, which I sort of enjoy now that I know what to look for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Alan didn't write himself out of existence like Zane did because people all remember him and his works still exist. Incidental dialogue in Control mentions that his book series is now a movie series.

The guy in charge of Containment mentions that The Sudden Stop was just released in theaters, which was the last book Alan wrote before the events of the game.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Am I the only one who was getting consistently lost during the first 10 or so hours of the game? I finally had to slow down and realize I had to read signs instead of just blindly following the icon on the map. I know that sounds obvious but it was definitely a change from most 'action' games, which I sort of enjoy now that I know what to look for.

Oh hell yeah, same here. This game makes me feel quite stupid.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

muscles like this! posted:

The guy in charge of Containment mentions that The Sudden Stop was just released in theaters, which was the last book Alan wrote before the events of the game.

Yeah but Zaneretroactively erased himself, so his previous works ceased to be. Which is why the therapist couldn't find any poet by that name.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Wengy posted:

Oh hell yeah, same here. This game makes me feel quite stupid.

The map is just garbage which makes navigation way harder than it should be.

Astrognome
Jun 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

There's some evidence in the game to suggest that Jesse and Dylan are parallel universe versions of each other whose realities merged during the Ordinary AWE, each having the false memories of the other, but I don't think it ever fully committed in that direction. I'd have to check the data logs to see if Jesse and Dylan ever talked about their lives together before they found the slide projector.

Jesse has a line of dialogue in the Ordinary AWE room with the fake town where she talks about how they liked playing in the dump before they found the projector.

Finished this yesterday, I liked the whole game but the last three hours or so in particular were amazing. Everything from getting to the ashtray maze for the first time on, in particular of course the maze itself. Seems like it would suck to die there and break the momentum, but by that point you should have the mechanics mastered enough that it probably shouldn't happen.

Still debating whether Ahti is Loki (or a more Finnish equivalent) or a more direct incarnation of the House itself. Earlier in the game I thought he was a member of the Board on "vacation" in the House pretending to be human for fun, but that's definitely ruled out by the end I think.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Alan Wake / American Nightmare

Alan didn't write himself out of the world like Thomas Zane tried to do. Alan traded himself for his wife, a balanced act that left him trapped in the Dark Place instead of his wife.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Boy, that last gauntlet sure soured me on the game. Shoulda done more side quests I suppose.

But hey, they at least have the decency to retain every attempts' psybucks and assets so that's cool.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

i love casper darling now

Also it's brilliant that the visual effect for the Hiss looks like a flame-damaged photograph/slide (endgame spoiler)

edit I loved the entire ending sequence starting with the fake credits but I wish there was a final boss instead of just a gauntlet where you're in godmode

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 4, 2019

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wengy posted:

Thanks man, I tried your recommended steps and while I don't have time to test it extensively, I think you might be on to something: I have a nerd mouse and a nerd keyboard by Logitech, and I've been playing crash-free for like 30 minutes since quitting out of their software (and since using Geforce Experience to "optimize" the game's setting). Let's see if this holds up.

That's great! I don't think it helped the other guy much so I'm really glad it was helpful.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

f#a# posted:

Boy, that last gauntlet sure soured me on the game. Shoulda done more side quests I suppose.

But hey, they at least have the decency to retain every attempts' psybucks and assets so that's cool.

I had pretty much everything but melee combat maxxed out and I still died a couple times in that final gauntlet. It was just long and there were lots of enemies and no shortage of platforms to miss a jump for. Frustrating.

By comparison the Ashtray Maze was one of those wonderful experiences where my skill and character abilities were a near perfect fit for the challenge, and apart from a little bit of a slowdown dealing with the Named Baddie in the middle the pacing was awesome and made me feel like a complete badass. The soundtrack was icing on the cake.

I wish they could have delivered one or two experiences on that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Apparently this is a thing. I had no idea you could do it.