Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
it's going to be a three dimensional flap that you flip over after activating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
You cast adventure, it exiles on resolution and becomes a creature card qith suspend and a number of time counters on it equal to the cmc of the creature.

Or you cast the creature side first and start ticking down story counters.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sampatrick posted:

It's going to be like forecast

i like this idea

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

tinaun posted:

It'll be this.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'm going with Aftermath, where the spell can be cast from the yard once the creature is dead. The Beast card would be awkward, but the first Beast would fuel future ones if you can sac it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

It's just monstrous but you cast a spell yall, dont get excited

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

The Beast card would be awkward

or appropriately tragic

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's not going to be literally a split card because we just had split cards so it's got to be something along the lines of forecast or a one time activated ability or something. It probably can't be forecast because then you could do it multiple times and the one Mana card would be a mythic uncommon that's almost unbeatable.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

tinaun posted:

Lol when only 1 or 2 of these cards is competitive and everyone has 4 wierdly boweded sleeves cause the folds never quite go back to flat

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You guys aren't paying attention to the adventure keyword. That clearly indicates to me you're sending it off somewhere for an intermediate effect that coincides with whatever else it has going on once it's put back on the battlefield later.

e: This also lets them do what they like to do and add a trigger for whenever you cast an adventure spell, cost reductions for adventure spells etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

It's not going to be literally a split card because we just had split cards so it's got to be something along the lines of forecast or a one time activated ability or something. It probably can't be forecast because then you could do it multiple times and the one Mana card would be a mythic uncommon that's almost unbeatable.

yeah i was thinking how you'd limit multiple uses if it was forecast-like. you can't, since even ignoring other memory issues, you could have multiples in your hand.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I find it extremely unlikely for them to do time counters again when people apparently hated that back in TSP standard

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Everything is loving kicker

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the adventure is CLEARLY an alternative time line

goldielocks OR 3 bears
beast OR prince adam

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Hurray for more counter to put on things.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't know if it was discord, here, or the other thread but I think I'm liking the idea of needing to tap it as an additional cost to activate it the most

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

beast OR prince adam

it's called heart's desire, which in this case i don't think is adam

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Hey, SOME things are Flashback.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rinkles posted:

don't judge

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

every mechanic in magic is a variant of kicker or split cards

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

every mechanic in magic is a variant of kicker or split cards

trample

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The kicked power goes to the opponent not the blocking creature

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You pay a kicker at deckbuilding to get trample over a creature of the same P/T

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I hope they explain this adventure sorcery stuff soon because I can't think of any variation that isn't unfun, stupid, or overly complicated.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Cumulative upkeep is just multikicker where you kick it to make it last more turns.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sampatrick posted:

it's absolutely not an activated ability because 1) it can't be multiuse because otherwise the beast one is one of the most broken cards of the last few years and 2) they don't do single-use activated abilities without some kind of counter to solve the memory problem

it might be forecast or some kind of aftermath effect, but forecast is an 8 on the storm scale for a bunch of reasons, and i don't think it's aftermath because a 1 mana 1/1 that you can then cast from your yard as a 3 mana 5/5 is busted for standard. it's actually better than that because the 1/1 doesn't have to die first.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

2) they don't do single-use activated abilities without some kind of counter to solve the memory problem

I mean, the counter is the token these are creating.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Skyl3lazer posted:

ok, so what happens when the token dies, or when they print an adventure that does anything except make a token

i can sort of see it as a redo of spellshapers-- discard a card to activate the adventure-- but they generally don't like repeatable effects because they make the play pattern boring. maybe you exile the creature and pay the cost to cast it, but then the noble's is terrible.

given that the adventure half has its own name, mana cost, type and subtype, i can't imagine that it's anything but a split card.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

e: ^^^^ If it's a split card why give it a subtype and all that. Also the two halves in the examples dovetail too nicely to be one or the other on their own.

1) so that other cards in the set can mechanically interact with it ("return target adventure from your graveyard to your hand" "adventure spells you cost cast one less" "whenever you cast an adventure spell, deal 2 damage to target player")
2) they're thematic, and they enable each other. draw two beasts? cast one and adventure the other to turn the first on.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 4, 2019

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
e: ^^^^ If it's a split card why give it a subtype and all that. Also the two halves in the examples dovetail too nicely to be one or the other on their own.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Doesn't really work when you have multiples of the source card. Y'all are overthinking it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

you're right, it has to be gaston

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I liked whoever's guess that was you can cast either side but if you cast the adventure you exile it with a counter and can cast the creature from exile

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Allstone posted:

I liked whoever's guess that was you can cast either side but if you cast the adventure you exile it with a counter and can cast the creature from exile

Yeah, this is my guess.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Trying to decide if a card that can either be a 1/1 for G or a 5/5 that can't attack unless you have a 1/1 for 2G would be a (likely below average) rare, or if the Adventure part lets you cast the 2G 5/5 later.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Where is this quote from because lol

Maro has been using that language about the secondary market for years, for all I know it may just be a maroism.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I can tell you right away that this mechanic will be either good or it will be bad. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yawgmoth posted:

you're right, it has to be gaston

not a fuckin chance gaston is a 1/1

i guess he'd be roughly a 5/5

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
It probably isnt, but it would be funny if the mechanic worked like:

Sacrifice a food token: You may play Adventure spells this turn.

i.e. Eat some foods then Adventure time!

Also, my bet for food token is Artifact that you sack to gain 2 life.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
five more cards from LRR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuYXkuW8Q4

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is gaston's character archetype from the original folktale or is he solely a disney invention?

Lone Goat posted:

not a fuckin chance gaston is a 1/1

i guess he'd be roughly a 5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

These are fun commons. I actually really like Witching Well for standard control decks, but it'll depend on the speed of the format.