Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i loving swear, if we get super mario sunshine HD, the very bad 3d mario game, announced tomorrow, before the superior and best 64 or galaxy 1/2 i will have an incredibly dumb and awkward online meltdown in this very thread so get your nice meltdowns primed.

Sunshine very bad? You already look incredibly dumb and awkward. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Delfino DLC for Odyssey would be pretty sweet

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Super Mario Odyssey 2: Sunshine 2 Galaxy 3 Dark Forces 4 Jedi Academy 2 Yoshi's Island 3

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Mario Sunshine sequel where you're cleaning up all the loving ink after a Splatoon match.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Mario Sunshine sequel where you're cleaning up all the loving ink after a Splatoon match.

Viscera Cleanup Detail when

with gyro controls

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

On chapter 7 of Three Houses, first run, Black Eagle Route.
It’s a weird thing this game has going on where a support conversation will sometimes be genuinely uncomfortable and end in the two characters just completely failing to connect with each other...but then afterwards I’ll still get the bright jingle and “SUPPORT LEVEL UP!” message

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Square and Nintendo finally bury the hatchet to develop a full FF7R-style remake of Seven Stars

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Augus posted:

It’s a weird thing this game has going on where a support conversation will sometimes be genuinely uncomfortable and end in the two characters just completely failing to connect with each other...but then afterwards I’ll still get the bright jingle and “SUPPORT LEVEL UP!” message

My first FE game and yeah this is indeed bizarre, although it seems like that tends to be the lower ranks and there's an overarching narrative across all the different events for a given pair. If that's the case I can understand why they just said whatever and tried to write something more interesting.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there are already Switch Lite replacement joysticks on the market. They look mostly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVQVdhQEtHs (2:20 to skip the intro/ad)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Violen posted:

If anyone else was wondering about this I found this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abRZiPcQ59c

"Rock solid 30 FPS in handheld" is all I needed to hear

Turns out it can be done!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Augus posted:

That happens the most in the Black Eagle route.

I believe they're better friends because of the teamwork and fighting/eating together, and the support convo just kind of marks an important point in their growing friendship.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Square and Nintendo finally bury the hatchet to develop a full FF7R-style remake of Seven Stars
I think they've already buried the hatchet, given Final Fantasy 7 has been ported to a Nintendo console. Seriously, I can't get over that and it's been half a year since it came out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

If two people had a fight in their most recent support convo and you invite the two of them to lunch or put them on horse-duty or w/e together, they'll be intensely uncomfortable around each other instead of doing their usual " oh, i like this food" shtick, so it's not like the game doesn't acknowledge stuff happening.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I’m up to Chapter 6 of Astral Chain, man I’m loving loving this game. The controls took some time getting accustomed to it, but now I’m a Stand using master who’s gonna send these chimeras back where they came from.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HenryEx posted:

If two people had a fight in their most recent support convo and you invite the two of them to lunch or put them on horse-duty or w/e together, they'll be intensely uncomfortable around each other instead of doing their usual " oh, i like this food" shtick, so it's not like the game doesn't acknowledge stuff happening.

drat that owns.
As weird as it is with the mechanical language I definitely think it’s for the best that the support conversations aren’t all just lighthearted fluff. The characters are more relatable when they’re shown getting upset about things and being at odds with each other at times.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

drat that owns.
As weird as it is with the mechanical language I definitely think it’s for the best that the support conversations aren’t all just lighthearted fluff. The characters are more relatable when they’re shown getting upset about things and being at odds with each other at times.

If you invite certain characters with relations to one another (like Seteth/Flayn) together for dinner, they have special dialogue as well. Said special dialogue can even change depending on how much their relationship has grown (meaning, how far you are into their support conversations).

There is a gently caress ton of dialogue in this game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah and i've noticed that some support conversations can change depending on where you are in the story / what sidequests you've done. They account for some of the "info" available to the characters at that point and incorporate it. It's never anything too big but it must have been a nightmare to plan out when there's like 240 cross-character relationships to keep track of

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

They should have used 3DS style circle pads on the Lite. They're nice to use, don't seem to break all the time, and would have made it so the Lite could fit neatly into nifty little flip covers.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

They should have used 3DS style circle pads on the Lite. They're nice to use, don't seem to break all the time, and would have made it so the Lite could fit neatly into nifty little flip covers.

Counterpoint: traditional analog sticks are better for precise stuff, even if they're on the smaller side, like the Joycon's.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

HenryEx posted:

Oh yeah and i've noticed that some support conversations can change depending on where you are in the story / what sidequests you've done. They account for some of the "info" available to the characters at that point and incorporate it. It's never anything too big but it must have been a nightmare to plan out when there's like 240 cross-character relationships to keep track of

It helps that not every character has supports written every other character, and a lot of characters only have one or two support scenes together.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It would be really cool and good if they didn't announce a single old game coming to switch. OLD GAMES SUCK NEW GAMES RULE.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Torchlight 2 port, among other things, doesn't even show the health and status of your loving pet.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

HenryEx posted:

It is, however, quite funny when they DON'T account for it. Seeing numb, broken, eyepatch Dimitri agonizing in his young voice about asking out a girl is pretty hilarious.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I think they've already buried the hatchet, given Final Fantasy 7 has been ported to a Nintendo console. Seriously, I can't get over that and it's been half a year since it came out.

I still can’t get over Cloud Strife being in Super Smash Bros.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

Given that they can't seem to hit their internal sales quotas to save their lives I imagine they'd be very amenable to piggy-backing on one of their most popular games with the most popular video game mascot of all time
I imagine that's another hail-Mary in the quiver after the FF7 remake

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Fallom posted:

"Rock solid 30 FPS in handheld" is all I needed to hear

Turns out it can be done!

You can see a lot of the pretty invisible concessions they've made to preserve that without turning it into Witcher 3 Switch, it's really well-handled. Like in the side-by-side the 3-dimensional grass blade bunches are cut down on the handheld version. In Sunny Villa from Spyro 3 later in the video the water has less dynamic splash effects kicking up from the grates and falls. I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff, those are just the two examples I noticed by going out of my way to specifically look for such a thing. You can make similar comparisons between docked and the PS4 version and it's similarly elegant in its downgrades. Meanwhile they've managed to keep on all the show-stealer effects that you really need to nail to keep the aesthetic singing like the lighting. The heavily stylized look obviously helps a lot on low resolutions providing less of a noticeable visual hit, but regardless it's a really solid job and the game's sporting plenty of stuff you don't expect to see maintained on a port to the system. I'm excited to get it as soon as there's a decent break in the current 'all the video games ever at once' schedule the industry's working with.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/d0nnykong/statu...756992254464000

Well, that makes a lot of sense. Looking at the results in motion it's definitely the best choice they could've arrived at to avoid massive sacrifices to a game that has no real business running on Switch intact, especially because it's another technique the cartoonishness of the visuals work more politely with than most would.

Violen fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 4, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

In Torchlight 2 for the Nintendo Switch, you can't see your scroll/potion inventory when you're in the shop menu (you have to switch to the sell menu), nor can you buy more than one at a time. :wtc:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Here's hoping for some Breath of the Wild news in tomorrow's live. Don't fail me monkey paw

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Isn't this Direct strictly covering 2019 games? I'd be surprised if we see/hear anything about BotW 2, Bayo, or Metroid Prime.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tokyo mirage sessions

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It said mostly 2019, so there might be mention of 1-2 2020 games. Probably nothing really substantial though.

Also those Spyro changes seem very similar to the changes they did to Crash, I'm curious if it was the same studio that ported it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

BisterdDave posted:

Isn't this Direct strictly covering 2019 games? I'd be surprised if we see/hear anything about BotW 2, Bayo, or Metroid Prime.

Surprise Smt:V drop announced tomorrow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

d3lness posted:

I can only hope.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

d3lness posted:

This serves as my quarterly reminder that SMT5 notionally exists.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
need a big pile of tricky platforming levels for odyssey

like a whole bunch of the fludd-less levels in mario sunshine

whaley fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 4, 2019

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5-EIzDtKo

Remember this is what they teased for Tokyo Mirage Sessions

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
hopefully since it's named shin megami tensei 5 it won't turn into an idol themed game. even though tokyo mirage sessions was pretty great

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5-EIzDtKo

Remember this is what they teased for Tokyo Mirage Sessions

i know, with a boring teaser like that i'm amazed TMS ended up good too

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I didn't get far in TMS but I would buy it again because I'm pretty sure I was having fun with it?

Hated the fact they left the screechy anime voices though. I don't mind foreign language things and when the words weren't screechy combat yells it was fine. But man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
who the heck thinks Mario Sunshine is bad