Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I felt that way reading the synopsis but the trailer got me. I like the idea of Hitler as Hobbes the cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

The fact that they're plastering "THIS IS A SATIRE" all over the marketing is really bugging me.

I assume that's the studio's idea. I'm sure there was a caveat about marketing due to the reactionary nature of present times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Is that the girl from Leave No Trace? Awesome.

This looks fantastic, and I am positive that Disney wishes they had nothing to do with it. I'm sure they want to get all the big projects started at FOX prior to their purchase out the door pronto (Alita, Dark Phoenix, Ad Astra, Jojo, etc), and cancel everything else that's not late in development.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

LesterGroans posted:

The fact that they're plastering "THIS IS A SATIRE" all over the marketing is really bugging me.

considering the current culture climate they probably have to

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Honestly it looks really good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Is that the girl from Leave No Trace? Awesome.

This looks fantastic, and I am positive that Disney wishes they had nothing to do with it. I'm sure they want to get all the big projects started at FOX prior to their purchase out the door pronto (Alita, Dark Phoenix, Ad Astra, Jojo, etc), and cancel everything else that's not late in development.

Alita's already out...? It came out right before the Disney deal. In fact, the Disney deal is why it took a while to come out on Blu.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

LesterGroans posted:

You have way more faith in the average movie going public than you probably should

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

considering the current culture climate they probably have to
There was a new research report recently that showed a huge fuckton of people cannot identify satire when they see it. It’s not just a small minority.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Alita's already out...? It came out right before the Disney deal. In fact, the Disney deal is why it took a while to come out on Blu.

I mean, I'm aware, but the deal hung over Fox and all their decision making for like a year, and considering that Alita is only now finding its audience I think it's fair to say that it was undermarketed, possibly on purpose in order to not compete too heavily with Captain Marvel.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A small part of me hopes that the second half of the movie goes full Come and See.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Vegetable posted:

There was a new research report recently that showed a huge fuckton of people cannot identify satire when they see it. It’s not just a small minority.

See: Most people's reactions to Last Action Hero.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

See most critical responses to The Beach Bum.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

porfiria posted:

Honestly it looks really good.

It reminds me a bit of Boy, in that it features a young protagonist who is confronted with some harsh truths that force him to confront his beliefs and views. And heck yes, I'm on board. I also never expected to see a Maori play Adolf Hitler, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vagabundo posted:

I also never expected to see a Maori play Adolf Hitler, but I guess stranger things have happened.

A Jewish Maori, to boot.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Vegetable posted:

The CEO of the last company I worked for (a middle sized indie film distributor in Germany) thought that The Death of Stalin was a serious drama depicting the incompentence of Russian politicians in that era. He just didn't see the comedy at all.

The CEO.

Of a company working in film distribution.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
"you're not a Nazi, you're a 10 year old kid who likes dressing up in a funny uniform and wants to be part of a club"

lol that people will watch this and not realize how on the nose it is

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCj3XuPG8M

No Bay no sale :colbert:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Martin Lawrence doesn't even look that large but his head has gained 100 pounds

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Lawrence looks perpetually sweaty and out of breath. I wonder if he still refuses to get out of his trailer if it's not parked on the road because he won't walk on grass.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh man, seeing him in profile does him no favors.

Dillbag posted:

Lawrence looks perpetually sweaty and out of breath. I wonder if he still refuses to get out of his trailer if it's not parked on the road because he won't walk on grass.

Haha what?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I thought Martin seemed alright at the beginning but by the end of the trailer he was way off. His timing, his puffiness, his face.

Also, seems like Bad Boys 4 is already in pre-production, so they're banking on this. I don't think Fresh Prince is the draw he used to be. 97-07 was his decade, now he's just in poo poo after poo poo, though I loved MIB 3.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AlexF posted:

The CEO of the last company I worked for (a middle sized indie film distributor in Germany) thought that The Death of Stalin was a serious drama depicting the incompentence of Russian politicians in that era. He just didn't see the comedy at all.

The CEO.

Of a company working in film distribution.

It's one thing if he doesn't think it's a satire but to not think anything in the movie is funny is next level.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

It's a story I heard about him years ago. He also had a box of underwear delivered to his trailer once a week because he would only wear his skivvies once, then throw them away. But TBF, if I was rich as gently caress I might do that too.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Oscar fever starts now folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxUL0NI9O4

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

This movie better have a fitting tribute for Tom Cruise Heidecker.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Dillbag posted:

It's a story I heard about him years ago. He also had a box of underwear delivered to his trailer once a week because he would only wear his skivvies once, then throw them away. But TBF, if I was rich as gently caress I might do that too.

I've heard of others doing the underwear thing and from decades back, professional athletes and people living on the road. I have to imagine that practicality extends to action movie star.

cappaj
Jul 29, 2019

morestuff posted:

Martin Lawrence doesn't even look that large but his head has gained 100 pounds

B(LO)A(TE)D BOYS

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZgkHjpUM8w

The Blackcoat’s Daughter was pretty good, so... maybe?

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 4, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP6LZqgnOM0

e: It's a leak, so will probably disappear. I'll try to remember to replace it with the official upload.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 4, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They just had to sneak that ridiculous full title in there somewhere.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2SdKY_5JYQ

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

god thats really bad. and the girl kicking looks naked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This seems like it could really confuse people, which I assume is the point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

holy loving LOL

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FoneBone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZgkHjpUM8w

The Blackcoat’s Daughter was pretty good, so... maybe?

Well, it took longer than expected for something to rip off the sound direction of the trailer for mother! but there you have it

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
LOL I know it was probably only filmed for the trailer but that first shot of Margo Robbie looks like something you'd see telling you your "mission" right before boarding some crummy Suicide Squad themed roller coaster.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bush league sound guy on that production for sure. This reminds me of when friends try to make their own feature-length film on a shoestring budget and can't figure out why it looks so amateurish.

The answer is you have to pay for sound. Yes, it's important, Brandon. Yes, your whole production is ruined, Brandon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

* screams at god and shoots AR into the sky

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looks enough like Bay that I’m interested but January? C’monnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Lol at having to add in one more nonsensical popping balloon to cover up the swear word.