Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Adventure requiring that you exile the card until your upkeep could work? Solves the memory problem, isn't busted. Maybe you have to pay to cast from exile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Design feels real good, hope it's more of a Lorwyn or Innistrad then a uh... I dunno, Avacyn's Restored.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If witching well was 2u to activate it would be a constructed card. As it stands, it's just too expensive.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kalli posted:

Design feels real good, hope it's more of a Lorwyn or Innistrad then a uh... I dunno, Avacyn's Restored.

Strongly agree with this

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the Swamp and Well seem cute for limited, the rest seem junk

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Run Away Together is a good reflavoring of Peel From Reality

now someone explain to me how putting on a high heel made of glass makes you faster and hit harder

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Elyv posted:

now someone explain to me how putting on a high heel made of glass makes you faster and hit harder

You run barefoot and smash them with the shoe

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Elyv posted:

cinderella used the shoes to embrace her impulsive desire to go to the royal ball and cut a killer rug there

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Run away together also seems aimed at new Commander players.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you can re-cast the sorcery parts of Storybook cards Run Away Together may have some pretty solid upside.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kalli posted:

If you can re-cast the sorcery parts of Storybook cards Run Away Together may have some pretty solid upside.

Run Away Home actually has decent synergy with Adventure if it works the way I keep suggesting it does-- you can throw down a creature, then if later in the game you would rather cast the spell, you can bounce it to your hand and cast it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Witch's Cottage is a swamp. Before this there has been one cycle of nonbasics with single basic land types, from Shadowmoor. Eldraine is Lorwyn 2 confirmed.

Witch's Cottage doesn't care if the 3 other swamps are basic, though, Blood Crypts and Watery Graves satisfy it just fine.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I wonder if colored artifacts as a normal thing won't lead to the removal of enchantments as a whole. The only difference between a colored artifact and an enchantment is that one can be removed by red and green (and white) and the other by green and white. All you need is some sort of cursed equipment for pacifism style effects and the card type is completely redundant.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

I wonder if colored artifacts as a normal thing won't lead to the removal of enchantments as a whole. The only difference between a colored artifact and an enchantment is that one can be removed by red and green (and white) and the other by green and white. All you need is some sort of cursed equipment for pacifism style effects and the card type is completely redundant.

I feel like they're different enough. Artifacts can tap for abilities, enchantments not so much, so the design space seems different even if they're tied closer to a color identity than normal artifacts.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

ItBreathes posted:

There have been colored artifacts for years now and enchantments are still around

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

life gain???????

:douche:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

goose seems...bad?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
wow unless food is incredibly easy to create, its seems like an insanely bad mechanic

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm assuming the idea with food is that it's very easy to create and then you feed it to your guys and that using it to gain life is basically a fail case

turn 1 goose turn 2 oko and you have a bird of paradise :v:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I guess Food being this makes Oko pretty good???

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's like half of saccing a clue when Graf Mole is in play.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Elyv posted:

I'm assuming the idea with food is that it's very easy to create and then you feed it to your guys and that using it to gain life is basically a fail case

turn 1 goose turn 2 oko and you have a bird of paradise :v:

Also great with the plus one tbh

Honestly I love the goose just loving love it i don’t even care

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I also like the beast card with llanowar elves

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

uggy posted:

I also like the beast card with llanowar elves

Hope you like it enough for Modern.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

A big flaming stink posted:

wow unless food is incredibly easy to create, its seems like an insanely bad mechanic

Free life as a rider on whatever other spell or ability isn't bad, of course, but given that the bonus is pound-for-pound weaker than drawing cards or generating mana, you'd think they would have been a little bit more aggressive with it. Compare food 1-to-1 with clue tokens, which were a playable but not busted mechanic, and it just seems much less powerful in every way. I'm pretty sure gaining 3 life is not the same value as drawing a card, and on top of it, these have an extra cost, albeit one that may not be relevant in most cases (the tap to activate).

e: Of course, yes, we're making this evaluation in a near-vacuum, having seen a single unexciting food enabler, so there could be stuff to come that'll make food blow our socks off.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Voyager I posted:

No but it’s cute

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Voyager I posted:

craft your elfs now for historic before they cost TWO common wildcards

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

If food is really easy to create then stuff like the goose is gonna be very strong, even if food tokens themselves are underwhelming as hell. Should've either been free to sacrifice or did something more significant (like, I dunno, scry or get a card back from the yard or play an extra land or something). . If it's scarce or the effects are bad then it's gonna flop hard.

The goose itself is playable as a mana dork.

JerryLee posted:

Free life as a rider on whatever other spell or ability isn't bad, of course, but given that the bonus is pound-for-pound weaker than drawing cards or generating mana, you'd think they would have been a little bit more aggressive with it. Compare food 1-to-1 with clue tokens, which were a playable but not busted mechanic, and it just seems much less powerful in every way. I'm pretty sure gaining 3 life is not the same value as drawing a card, and on top of it, these have an extra cost, albeit one that may not be relevant in most cases (the tap to activate).

e: Of course, yes, we're making this evaluation in a near-vacuum, having seen a single unexciting food enabler, so there could be stuff to come that'll make food blow our socks off.

Wasn't there a design article a while back about how much lifegain you would need to get per point of mana cost in order for a pure lifegain spell or effect to be worth playing over a more powerful thing like drawing cards or scrying? I think the rate was 5 life for one white mana (2 or more for other colors or colorless) or something like that?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 4, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Food so far has been on a planeswalker that elks it and a goose that uses it for mana.

Seems alternate uses are the order of the day.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Look Around You posted:

I feel like they're different enough. Artifacts can tap for abilities, enchantments not so much, so the design space seems different even if they're tied closer to a color identity than normal artifacts.

One having a strictly more limited design space than the other doesn't seem to me to be a compelling reason to keep them both, especially as, as Witching Well shows, artifacts don't have to tap.

Panderfringe posted:

There have been colored artifacts for years now and enchantments are still around

Not like this though. There's been an uncommon cycle in M20, a rare cycle in Rav3, a mythic cycle in Kaldesh, a rare cycle of enchantment artifacts in Theros, an handful of (mostly creature) card in New Phyrexia with Phyrexian casting costs, and then you're back at Alara.

Now, I'm not saying they're going to do so, but if they came and said they were getting rid of enchantments to reduce complexity I wouldn't be surprised. I'd be less surprised if colored artifacts on a large scale are less popular than artifacts have been historically and they walk the whole thing back.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
3 life is 1 more than I thought, and it's going to make this limited format extremely slow. Decks are going to be able to stabilize and get out of reach.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Like, the goose and Oko can work together to make an army of elks, do that with clues, nerds.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Like, the goose and Oko can work together to make an army of elks, do that with clues, nerds.

clues also turn into elks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AnEdgelord posted:

clues also turn into elks

Where's the goose that makes that many clues turn after turn???? :smug:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Obv they're weaker than clues but as pure upside thrown on a bear or whatever seems deece.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

While people are spending 2 mana to sac foods and stabilize, there will probably be some pretty aggressive uses of food to counter it. Maybe using food to make token creatures so its harder to stabilize.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Goose isn't great but is still a better 1-mana accelerant than that 0/3 that lets you make another land drop.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
A man keeps eating food because an elk is mauling him, the endless stalemate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Where's the goose that makes that many clues turn after turn???? :smug: