Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is the website you poster people use for checking OTA signal? I have a friend who is looking at getting rid of cable but wants to have local channels still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Tvfool

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If anyone is interested in Disney+ if you signed up for even a free D23 membership, they're offering a deal. 3-year Disney+ sub for the price of a 2-year. Not sure if they'll do it for new sign ups.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

If anyone is interested in Disney+ if you signed up for even a free D23 membership, they're offering a deal. 3-year Disney+ sub for the price of a 2-year. Not sure if they'll do it for new sign ups.

How much is that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

How much is that?

They ding you for $140 which works out to $3.89 per month over the 3 years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

They ding you for $140 which works out to $3.89 per month over the 3 years.

I guess that’s not as bad as I was expecting. I could see doing that.

Ok I am signed up for a d23 account and just wait for the offer. It’s a pretty drat good deal for 4K and HDR content.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 27, 2019

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

What if you wanted to do the bundle? Is there an offer for that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What if you wanted to do the bundle? Is there an offer for that?

AFAIK from looking at the slick deals thread there isn't one yet.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
What's the website where I can compare all the providers with each other to see what works best for my needs?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thisdude23 posted:

What's the website where I can compare all the providers with each other to see what works best for my needs?

https://www.suppose.tv

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks Hulu for the 135 second unskippable ad for a channel I already subscribe to. You make DVR’d sports unwatchable.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Thanks Hulu for the 135 second unskippable ad for a channel I already subscribe to. You make DVR’d sports unwatchable.

I'm pretty sure that happens when you don't have something DVRed but it is available on demand. Hulu does a really bad job at making that distinction but it is a legal one, if it's on demand the content provider calls the shots on ads, if it is DVRed, even cloud based DVRed, the user has control.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally had someone install my antenna on my roof, now I get 74 local channels. Neat... I never knew that home shopping network broadcast OTA.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I'm pretty sure that happens when you don't have something DVRed but it is available on demand. Hulu does a really bad job at making that distinction but it is a legal one, if it's on demand the content provider calls the shots on ads, if it is DVRed, even cloud based DVRed, the user has control.

It could be user error, but I made triple sure I hit “record this game” from the menu, and that team is a “favorite team” set to record every game. If I did something wrong after jumping through those hoops, I start to lean that’s it’s intentional.

The only events that haven’t done that for me are ones over broadcast tv.

Either way, I’m trying something different.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So my plan to eliminate as much of my cable TV bill is complete.

I have a DirecTV DVR from my brother on his account, which has pretty much everything except local channels since he lives out of state. Used the AM-21 off air tuner to feed local channels into the DirecTV to have them show up on the guide and record with the DVR. I then used an HDMI splitter to mirror that DVR to my living room and basement TVs, and got an extra RF remote so it can be controlled from the other room. Have antenna running into the other TV as well.

This will work... my wife and kid pretty much watch Netflix nonstop anyway, so I don't see there being a conflict to use the DVR.

Was so on the fence about getting a Tivo Bolt for the second TV with the antenna, but this will do to get the cable/satellite only channels on both TVs. Was $30 in splitters and cables instead of $300+ for a Bolt and be missing channels on one TV

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My mom and her husband are coming over Saturday to help me clean. She wants to have the OSU game on to watch. I don't have TV service because I don't need it. I'm thinking of using the YouTube TV trial for this, but if there's another method that won't make me blow that trial that'd be great

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My mom and her husband are coming over Saturday to help me clean. She wants to have the OSU game on to watch. I don't have TV service because I don't need it. I'm thinking of using the YouTube TV trial for this, but if there's another method that won't make me blow that trial that'd be great

Sling? DirectTV Now? PSvue?

Sling has a 7 day trial I know for sure.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

MarcusSA posted:

Sling? DirectTV Now? PSvue?

Sling has a 7 day trial I know for sure.

Vue has a trial and the channel I need, I'll use that. Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Less 'cutting cable' and more 'cable adjacent', but I'm going to be receiving a streaming box from AT&T next week to beta test, apparently it's the same essential thing as a box they made for DTV NOW. I'm pretty happy as I'm generally disappointed by their TV services compared to Comcast, especially comparing their Firestick app to the Xfinity Roku app (which essentially acts like a cable box, and has been in free beta testing for about 2 years+ now, whereas the AT&T one is just garbage). The only disappointment is for my bedroom setup I'd far rather a USB power driven device so I don't have to run more power through the wall but hey. Talk is if you pay for one of these devices, it might then open up apps on other streaming platforms for you.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't seem to find an answer to this.

Does the Fire TV Recast allow you to download shows for offline viewing with the Mobile App for iOS?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No. Only streaming off the box.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Less 'cutting cable' and more 'cable adjacent', but I'm going to be receiving a streaming box from AT&T next week to beta test, apparently it's the same essential thing as a box they made for DTV NOW. I'm pretty happy as I'm generally disappointed by their TV services compared to Comcast, especially comparing their Firestick app to the Xfinity Roku app (which essentially acts like a cable box, and has been in free beta testing for about 2 years+ now, whereas the AT&T one is just garbage). The only disappointment is for my bedroom setup I'd far rather a USB power driven device so I don't have to run more power through the wall but hey. Talk is if you pay for one of these devices, it might then open up apps on other streaming platforms for you.

I've had the AT&T box since Christmas as a DTVN customer, and it's same the box you'd get if you sign up for their "AT&T TV" service they've been pushing in a few test markets. In those markets, they're not even offering DirecTV or UVerse TV to new subscribers, this is the only option.

This box was spotted in FCC filings in fall 2017, so the hardware was substantially done over a full year before it ever saw a customer. So think about how a two year old streaming stick is probably already feeling long in the tooth, and then add to it the fact that this one comes from the phone company who's trying to build it to a price.

The UI is choppy as hell. If you're used to crappy cable company STBs then it's not going to feel out of place for you, but if you've used any modern streaming hardware you're going to want to throw this thing out the window at your first opportunity.

I got mine out of blind curiosity since it was free. I keep it plugged in just because when my in-laws come over to babysit, it's close enough to the concept of a "cable box" that they can watch TV without a half hour seminar on what streaming apps to open.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 8, 2019

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

I've had the AT&T box since Christmas as a DTVN customer, and it's same the box you'd get if you sign up for their "AT&T TV" service they've been pushing in a few test markets. In those markets, they're not even offering DirecTV or UVerse TV to new subscribers, this is the only option.

This box was spotted in FCC filings in fall 2017, so the hardware was substantially done over a full year before it ever saw a customer. So think about how a two year old streaming stick is probably already feeling long in the tooth, and then add to it the fact that this one comes from the phone company who's trying to build it to a price.

The UI is choppy as hell. If you're used to crappy cable company STBs then it's not going to feel out of place for you, but if you've used any modern streaming hardware you're going to want to throw this thing out the window at your first opportunity.

I got mine out of blind curiosity since it was free. I keep it plugged in just because when my in-laws come over to babysit, it's close enough to the concept of a "cable box" that they can watch TV without a half hour seminar on what streaming apps to open.

My understanding is they are going to charge a device fee on each box which is complete bullshit and like 30% of the reason I left AT&T in the first place.

We kept U-Verse for way too long just because I didn't want to teach my husband how to work a steaming service, now he raves to friends about how happy he is with Hulu. Even my mother who I don't even think owns a computer figured out how to use it when she house sat for us.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

My understanding is they are going to charge a device fee on each box which is complete bullshit and like 30% of the reason I left AT&T in the first place.

We kept U-Verse for way too long just because I didn't want to teach my husband how to work a steaming service, now he raves to friends about how happy he is with Hulu. Even my mother who I don't even think owns a computer figured out how to use it when she house sat for us.

With the AT&T TV service, the first box is included "free," while additional boxes are $10/month. Or you can buy it outright for a one-time $120. They're selling the TV service with a required 2-year contract, so you're only screwing yourself if you take the monthly fee option. But this is the phone company, after all, and they perfected this bullshit by giving you the option to lease a telephone into perpetuity.

$120 is also a stunning ripoff for what is under the hood in their streaming box.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I take it you can only use the service with “their” set top box?

Because that’s some grade-A bullshit if so and a hard pass (well, anything DirectTV/ATT is pretty much a hard pass these days)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait, so AT&T is offering a streaming box that only runs AT&T TV and costs almost as much as an AppleTV which will run AT&T TV plus all sorts of other stuff? Or you can pay an egregiously high monthly fee for it? LMAO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, so AT&T is offering a streaming box that only runs AT&T TV and costs almost as much as an AppleTV which will run AT&T TV plus all sorts of other stuff? Or you can pay an egregiously high monthly fee for it? LMAO

Pretty much.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hey guys. I got some coupon codes for Disney+ in the mail. It's two offers, neither as good as the one from a couple weeks ago. But if you missed on that one and want to save a few bucks, here you go:

3 year sub for $169.99 (4.73 per month)
2 year sub for $119.99 ($5.00 per month)

Now here's the catch, according to the offer, you have to pay for it with a Disney Visa Card, but you may as well give it a shot just in case it doesn't really care. PM me if you want a code to try

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah the free nature is the main selling point, I'm sure I'm not going to think much of it (don't rate Android as a base for... anything really) but if it can replicate a cable box in my bedroom then I'll not moan too much because the current offering via apps is pretty poor. It's so silly that they decided that going the original hardware route is the way to compete, but thats cablecos for you.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My Dad wanted to get CBS All Access because he found out it lets you stream your local CBS affiliate so he could watch his precious NFL games. (they cant get a good enough signal for their local CBS over antenna). I discovered at least on the Roku platform, even though you enter your ZIP code and pick your local affiliate, the app will prioritize IP Geo-location and use it instead. So it picked one several states away with no way of overriding it. Que a 25 minute phone call to CBS All Access support on a Sunday afternoon. The agent I spoke with acted like they get this all the time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stevewm posted:

My Dad wanted to get CBS All Access because he found out it lets you stream your local CBS affiliate so he could watch his precious NFL games. (they cant get a good enough signal for their local CBS over antenna). I discovered at least on the Roku platform, even though you enter your ZIP code and pick your local affiliate, the app will prioritize IP Geo-location and use it instead. So it picked one several states away with no way of overriding it. Que a 25 minute phone call to CBS All Access support on a Sunday afternoon. The agent I spoke with acted like they get this all the time.

We truly are living in the future.

It’s also poo poo when you have like YouTube tv and travel and can’t use any of it lol. (Out of the country at least)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Also it runs Android TV, so you can pick up a better box for next to nothing.

In mild defence of AT&T, their angle is they are selling a solution that they will support, install, warranty, blah. Which is legit, like I would never tell my father he needs to sign up for YouTube TV because he just wants to watch TV and yell at someone when it doesn't work, it's just a terrible value proposition for so many people it comes off as pretty scummy.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey guys. I got some coupon codes for Disney+ in the mail. It's two offers, neither as good as the one from a couple weeks ago. But if you missed on that one and want to save a few bucks, here you go:

3 year sub for $169.99 (4.73 per month)
2 year sub for $119.99 ($5.00 per month)

Now here's the catch, according to the offer, you have to pay for it with a Disney Visa Card, but you may as well give it a shot just in case it doesn't really care. PM me if you want a code to try

They found a way to make a contract for a streaming service...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Astro7x posted:

They found a way to make a contract for a streaming service...

And they're collecting the money upfront 2-3 months before the service even goes live. I will admit I got in on the 3-year D23 deal when that was going on two weeks ago. I have a 18 month old and a 7 year old; I realized I may as well face it, I'm going to be paying for this service for the next 8 years anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Three Olives posted:

Which is legit, like I would never tell my father he needs to sign up for YouTube TV because he just wants to watch TV and yell at someone when it doesn't work

Eh, my 68 year old parents bought a Roku and did YouTubeTV all on their own and they've taken to it like ducks to water.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Eh, my 68 year old parents bought a Roku and did YouTubeTV all on their own and they've taken to it like ducks to water.

Two of my father's favorite hobbies are wasting money and yelling at people. I wish I was kidding.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Really enjoying ATTTVNOW saying it's blacked out every time ESPN goes to commercial. Great job guys.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

kitten smoothie posted:

And they're collecting the money upfront 2-3 months before the service even goes live. I will admit I got in on the 3-year D23 deal when that was going on two weeks ago. I have a 18 month old and a 7 year old; I realized I may as well face it, I'm going to be paying for this service for the next 8 years anyway.

As a parent, kids will watch pretty much anything and are not picky. Also, they won’t know the service exists unless you tell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Matt Zerella posted:

Really enjoying ATTTVNOW saying it's blacked out every time ESPN goes to commercial. Great job guys.

Yeah, I got this too. Dtvnow/Attnow works good 95% of the time for me, but when it doesent...