Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kitfox88 posted:

What’s drainage precious

Probably gutters along the inside of the parapet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

igloo security station has a big plug right over the foundation for drainage

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I saw a review of Ring the other day that came to the conclusion that it wasn't actually much good as a doorbell, since going through the internet to find your phone often involves some delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE&t=520s

I wonder how it compares pricewise to other security camera services.

The delay is generally caused by the wake from sleep state, not the internet. If you hardwire to the (hopefully) existing doorbell wiring and the transformer is good (read: new) there shouldn't be a delay at all. That's why the Nest Hello only comes in hardwired. Wireless will always have an unacceptable delay by virtue of the battery management.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/1168987461437071360

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

idgi if its wireless why cant i just put on a mask and snatch that gravy off the wall?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

idgi if its wireless why cant i just put on a mask and snatch that gravy off the wall?

There's nothing stopping you from doing the same thing to the wired ones really. The wires are of an incredibly thin gauge that anyone should be able to snap.

The best ones though are the Arlo wireless cameras as they aren't even attached with screws, just magnets.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

the only problem with the nruemburg thrial is they should have gone on for ten years

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Considering how many nazis it let off the hook, that's technically correct. Less than 1% of all captured Einsatzgruppen went to trial, most ended up having their sentences commuted and were free men within 15 years of the war ending. They murdered over 2 million civilians.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I work for an alarm company that's currently peddling a ring competitor and the loving thing snaps into the outdoor (hardwired) base. The clips aren't too beefy or awkward because it's sold as a "completely wireless" doorbell that you'd bring inside and recharge every now and again. We've got strict orders not to install them that way because a doorbell that you have to recharge is possibly the single dumbest thing anyone could think of.

My favorite part is that even though the doorbell rings a typical doorbell chime, the Internet of Things innovators turned it into a rube goldberg machine. A typical door bell is two pieces of springy metal that you push down and they physically close the circuit. It can't get any more efficient, cheaper or more resilient. The new doorbell has the old/existing chime connected to the intelligent base which houses charging circuity and a relay/power transistor of some kind. The doorbell attaches to this base and is also a wifi host. You connect to its open wifi and redirect it to the home network. The button on the doorbell isn't "active" until you jump through some hoops and only then will it send the signal to the base to ring the loving chime.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I work for an alarm company that's currently peddling a ring competitor and the loving thing snaps into the outdoor (hardwired) base. The clips aren't too beefy or awkward because it's sold as a "completely wireless" doorbell that you'd bring inside and recharge every now and again. We've got strict orders not to install them that way because a doorbell that you have to recharge is possibly the single dumbest thing anyone could think of.

My favorite part is that even though the doorbell rings a typical doorbell chime, the Internet of Things innovators turned it into a rube goldberg machine. A typical door bell is two pieces of springy metal that you push down and they physically close the circuit. It can't get any more efficient, cheaper or more resilient. The new doorbell has the old/existing chime connected to the intelligent base which houses charging circuity and a relay/power transistor of some kind. The doorbell attaches to this base and is also a wifi host. You connect to its open wifi and redirect it to the home network. The button on the doorbell isn't "active" until you jump through some hoops and only then will it send the signal to the base to ring the loving chime.

i don't think you understand. the problem with just using two pieces of springy metal is that nobody can ring the person's doorbell over and over from across the street at 3 am with their iphone and an inevitably unearthed security flaw

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
also think of all the money that's just being pissed in the wind from not selling the data from every time someone rings your doorbell to advertisers!!!!!!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/notjessewalker/status/1168852398309367808?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Springy piece of metal is like, three moving parts, and that is unacceptable.

What this calls for is a film of indium tin oxide deposited onto unyielding glass.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
rape kit app

https://mobile.twitter.com/katejsim/status/1169012221676011521
https://mobile.twitter.com/katejsim/status/1169013886445600769
https://mobile.twitter.com/katejsim/status/1169016778468540427
https://mobile.twitter.com/katejsim/status/1169018951101235200

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think things that look like other things are funny. like, the weinermobile is funny and a shack shaped like a cooler is also funny :shrug:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

And after you're done, you can store it in a closet and never, ever look at it again, just like the police do!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

And after you're done, you can store it in a closet and never, ever look at it again, just like the police do!
Kids' fake career toys sure have taken a dark turn since my childhood.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tubgoat posted:

Kids' fake career toys sure have taken a dark turn since my childhood.

Let's play Police, Daddy!
::hands you a plastic playdoh knife::
Plant this on Mr. Bear so it looks like a good shoot

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I saw a review of Ring the other day that came to the conclusion that it wasn't actually much good as a doorbell, since going through the internet to find your phone often involves some delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE&t=520s

I wonder how it compares pricewise to other security camera services.

i just know one day I'm going to get a complaint at work about someone (probably me) scowling at the ring camera

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1169078793572626433?s=20

America

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

battle royale high

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/katejsim/status/1169020803003965440

this would be helpful but

rentseeking too is cyberpunk

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Remulak posted:

Hi Calibre answer.

If this is a pun on a popular ebook manager, then well done

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ogresque posted:

https://twitter.com/katejsim/status/1169020803003965440

this would be helpful but

rentseeking too is cyberpunk

43 dollars to read the article for one day? lmfao

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

got any sevens posted:

43 dollars to read the article for one day? lmfao

It's usually free through your institution if you're a college student or employed by the university but I agree, this poo poo should be free

It's literally just rentseeking by academic publishers. Sure, you'd think that with their $400 textbooks and their quid pro quo with campus bookstores they'd have enough money, but no lol gently caress you

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/hackermaderas/status/1168905401645043717

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Man, I didn't consider before, but of course a lot of the earliest high-impact deepfake incidents will be in contexts with small audiences and some amount of privacy. I've mostly been picturing viral Facebook and Twitter posts convincing some group what they already want to believe, which are already easy without new technology.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sci-hub y'all

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

where's my loving magic and rigging, i wanna fly around robo drones and shoot lone star officers till i'm gunned down or fried by black ice

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

if i was a mixed up troubled teen who listened to too much marilyn manson and played doom, i'd see this as a personal challenge

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Ditocoaf posted:

Man, I didn't consider before, but of course a lot of the earliest high-impact deepfake incidents will be in contexts with small audiences and some amount of privacy. I've mostly been picturing viral Facebook and Twitter posts convincing some group what they already want to believe, which are already easy without new technology.

Oh that's already being used big time. Before I told a childhood friend to gently caress off for being a nazi he re:re:re:fwd:fwded enough "This is a recording of what $politician REALLY thinks about workers!!1!" to convince me of this.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smarxist posted:

if i was a mixed up troubled teen who listened to too much marilyn manson and played doom, i'd see this as a personal challenge

unless you were also a nazi you wouldn't be a school shooter tho

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/Guerazulay/status/1168444854784806912 new gta looks like poo poo

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kitfox88 posted:

where's my loving magic and rigging, i wanna fly around robo drones and shoot lone star officers till i'm gunned down or fried by black ice

do you even own a gun?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

smarxist posted:

it's literally a cover-based shooter map

look here's what we actually need to do: we install super-powered electromagnets in the walls and ceilings of our high schools, and when the shooter shows up, someone hits the panic button and the magnets turn on and all the guns and bullets fly up to the ceiling and are stuck there until the police release them.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Remulak posted:

Hi Calibre answer.

:golfclap:

lol at the police car that tries to pull sideways to block them off and they all just go around

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Krankenstyle posted:

sci-hub y'all

sci hub and libgen pride world wide

pay to support the actual authors when you can but until then get you some info any which way

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nobody ever stops to think that the future school shooter is in the loving class learning how to beat all these stupid measures like he's gonna know where all the hiding places are and everything

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

The Nastier Nate posted:

it's literally a cover-based shooter map

look here's what we actually need to do: we install super-powered electromagnets in the walls and ceilings of our high schools, and when the shooter shows up, someone hits the panic button and the magnets turn on and all the guns and bullets fly up to the ceiling and are stuck there until the police release them.

This is the best idea yet. Make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

purple death ray posted:

Nobody ever stops to think that the future school shooter is in the loving class learning how to beat all these stupid measures like he's gonna know where all the hiding places are and everything

They also know who the kid is. It's the guy who keeps being creepy at women, making death and rape jokes constantly, and has a history of being a giant piece of poo poo bully.