Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ItBreathes posted:

One having a strictly more limited design space than the other doesn't seem to me to be a compelling reason to keep them both, especially as, as Witching Well shows, artifacts don't have to tap.

Not like this though. There's been an uncommon cycle in M20, a rare cycle in Rav3, a mythic cycle in Kaldesh, a rare cycle of enchantment artifacts in Theros, an handful of (mostly creature) card in New Phyrexia with Phyrexian casting costs, and then you're back at Alara.

Now, I'm not saying they're going to do so, but if they came and said they were getting rid of enchantments to reduce complexity I wouldn't be surprised. I'd be less surprised if colored artifacts on a large scale are less popular than artifacts have been historically and they walk the whole thing back.

there's only been 120+ coloured artifacts and THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I just hope for more aura curses and some sort of enchantress cycle

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
show me the faeries wotc

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gingerbrute when wizards?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Looking forwards to the oracle update where they give all the lords their aristocracy back.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lone Goat posted:

there's only been 120+ coloured artifacts and THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LINE

130. 86 of which are from Alara, where they were the gimmick. 5 of which also enchantments, so you're looking at 39, 12 of which don't actually require colored mana to cast. Versus the 1700+ non colored ones.

Don't be disingenuous, in any previous set these'd been enchantments. They've been quite open that they see colored artifacts as a potential solution to the power level issues that plague artifacts, and they've similarly admitted that artifacts and enchantments aren't particularly distinct even before this change, but I haven't heard any proposals to address this.

Face it, in a game who's biggest issue is being hard as hell to learn, having redundant card types just doesn't make sense.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think they are just split cards in isolation, but that the Adventure type will be relevant for other stuff.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I realize there are like 300 of them, but I have to admit it still bugs me to see humans which are themed as one dude, and are 3/3 or bigger. It just seems wrong. It’s like a 2/2 dragon or something.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Witching well could be argued either way, enchantments don't normally have an activated ability that sacrifices themselves (yes I know they've done it before but its exceedingly rare compared to artifacts with that ability) and the slipper is literally an equipment

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The WAR planeswalkers were a test run for getting rid of artifacts, enchantments, instants, and sorceries and replacing them with planeswalkers

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Intuitively, from the way it’s framed, they’re creatures that have a spell in their own hand that they can cast once if they’re on the battlefield.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Hansel and Gretel will be the food equiv of tireless tracker because of their breadcrumb trail

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aren't the twin planeswalkers Hansel and Gretel (Witch Hunters)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Food is a clue token except you always draw a free healing salve

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Already building my 4c FoodStuff deck and it's looking delicious

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"(2), tap, Sac: gain 3 life" isn't great but I'm pretty sure they did that just so the tokens had SOME innate value. Looking at the Goose, I'm pretty sure it's going to be at least somewhat easy to create a Food token.

The interesting thing to me is how Food is going to interact with some of the artifact and proliferate strategies out there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A Moose posted:

While people are spending 2 mana to sac foods and stabilize, there will probably be some pretty aggressive uses of food to counter it. Maybe using food to make token creatures so its harder to stabilize.

Smashmouth the Goblin gonna eat all the eggs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kalli posted:

Smashmouth the Goblin gonna eat all the eggs

If there isn't a card with a Food alternate wincon this set is a flavor fail

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Time to craft Tezzeret and make a standard Eggfinity deck

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I knew you could elk the food

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Wishful merfolk is good flavour. Does the 5/5 lovestruck guy get to attack if there's an intangible virtue on the field? Seems to me like 1/1 tokens are still 1/1, but get +1/+1 afterward.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ilmucche posted:

Wishful merfolk is good flavour. Does the 5/5 lovestruck guy get to attack if there's an intangible virtue on the field? Seems to me like 1/1 tokens are still 1/1, but get +1/+1 afterward.

No. They aren't 1/1s.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aren't the twin planeswalkers Hansel and Gretel (Witch Hunters)
That movie is one of my favorites to put on after having a few beers with the intention of drinking more. Hansel as a Fantasy Diabetic was :discourse:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Framboise posted:

show me the faeries wotc

Wotc: ok

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDmGr1HWwAEgaVG?format=jpg&name=large

Edit: also a 2/2 flying faerie for UG that taps for U/G

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 4, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If alternate uses for food are the primary way the mechanic works then it's basically an energy variant.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

If alternate uses for food are the primary way the mechanic works then it's basically an energy variant.

Is this going to be a downturn for the quality of Standard then

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
https://twitter.com/MTGatTCGplayer/status/1169119200381689856

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Faeries are BACK baybee

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
that 4 mana faerie is the most disappointing card i've ever read

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A 3/3 with flying and haste is disappointing to you?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

It has more text than that

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

Unless the set has some real way to take advantage of it, yeah, it's a 50 cent mythic.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
But also yes a 3/3 for 4 is not fantastic

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sampatrick posted:

It has more text than that

It's all optional text, so it certainly can't be worse than if it didn't have that text at all.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

It's all optional text, so it certainly can't be worse than if it didn't have that text at all.

Well it can certainly be more disappointing

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tome Raider. Heh.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
His discard and sacrifice effects sound really irritating since Faeries look like they'll have a lot of ways to plus and are small enough to be expendable. He can also do them both at once.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Card seems good if you want a 3/3 Flying Haste with a whole ton of optional effects - if you're playing against a control deck, you smack them for 4 and both of you draw a card, or maybe hit them for 3 and choose discard and get rid of some dead removal spell. The edict seems fine as a situational effect if the opponent just has a big ground idiot or two and you get to trade a faerie for a much larger creature.

If you're empty handed you can make only them discard a card and then both of you draw a card, which seems good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In any case, if fairies follow their usual theme of having crappy bodies with powerful etb effects, "each player sacrifices a creature" is going to feel pretty close to "your opponent sacrifices a creature", which is very nice on a hasty evasive thing. The discard mode being optional is especially nice (you only need to use it when you're hellbent or have a card you don't mind discarding - while your opponent needs to choose whether they answer it before they find out whether you intend to use it or not), and the draw mode doubles as a secret +1 damage mode to help close out the game if you think you can answer whatever your opponent draws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is that a promo or are legendaries going for a borderless look ?