Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

Holy moly McDonnell is on form

bump_fn posted:

he's so good

yeah him outright pointing out that this is political posturing cynically picked out of opinion polling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ShadowSpectre posted:

"Mr Speaker, I believe the right honorable member for uxbridge is shouting at me... the last person he shouted at had to call the police... maybe we might have to do it here too?" - John “Based God” McDonnell

:drat:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:eyepop:

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1169230409793753089

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmagenda/OP190904.pdf

SUMMARY AGENDA: CHAMBER
11.30am Prayers
Afterwards Oral Questions: Wales
12 noon Oral Questions: Prime Minister
12.30pm Urgent Questions, Ministerial Statements (if any)
No debate Presentation of Bills
Up to 20 minutes Ten Minute Rule Motion: Compulsory Purchase and Planning
(Emma Hardy)
Until 7.00pm European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 6) Bill: All Stages
Up to 90 minutes Early Parliamentary General Election (Motion)
Until 7.00pm Animal Welfare (Sentencing) Bill: Remaining Stages
No debate after
7.00pm
Motion relating to the membership of the Selection Committee
No debate Presentation of Public Petitions
Until 7.30pm or for
half an hour
Adjournment Debate: Treasury funding for the Department of
Health and Social Care (Robert Halfon)

Why are prayers at the top of the list? I thought it was the US that had the religious lunatics.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Goddamn McDonnell is just laying fire. The Shadow Chancellor of my Heart.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

AceOfFlames posted:

Why are prayers at the top of the list? I thought it was the US that had the religious lunatics.

my dude have you heard of the DUP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given labour need to get an extension I'm quite happy to let boris roll around in his own poo poo until we can :v:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bump_fn posted:

my dude have you heard of the DUP

Sure but why is prayer in the OFFICIAL SCHEDULE? The INSTITUTION should not have anything to do with religion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

AceOfFlames posted:

Sure but why is prayer in the OFFICIAL SCHEDULE? The INSTITUTION should not have anything to do with religion.

The UK has a state religion and the queen is the head of it. Also four (I think) of its bishops get seats in government.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The UK has a state religion and the queen is the head of it. Also four (I think) of its bishops get seats in government.

Fair enough. Still dumb.

Sorry, religion combined with government is one of my pet peeves. Dunno what it says about me that of everything in House of Cards, what truly made me physically disgusted is that one bit in the first episode where Frank and all those politicians are attending church together.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

AceOfFlames posted:

lol don't ever google the lords spiritual

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

AceOfFlames posted:

We have a state church which our head of state is in charge of. The people here are less wacko religious as a whole, but institutionally far more intertwined.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The UK is literally a christian nation, it's just not particularly observant.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

AceOfFlames posted:

It's prayers, mate, not witch burnings. Lunacy is not required.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, we were still following the Christian tradition of invading the Middle East until relatively recently

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OwlFancier posted:

How antisemitic

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
As I understand it 'prayers' in the morning are mainly an opportunity to bag the prime seats for you and your mates because our parliament is structured and mostly populated by public schoolboys

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

As I understand it 'prayers' in the morning are mainly an opportunity to bag the prime seats for you and your mates because our parliament is structured and mostly populated by public schoolboys

I remember when the SNP first popped en masse in 2015 they got into a small war with Dennis Skinner over the prime hectoring spot for the opposition

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's another one of those things that despite the US going to great lengths to protest its separation of church and state we're still better at it in practice despite literally giving the church seats in the lords.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

lol are you forgetting we have bishops setting in the house of lords and Parliament literally controls many aspects of the Church of England

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

Because we live in hope that the front bench may one day consider the actual content of the main prayer:

"Lord, the God of righteousness and truth, grant to our Queen and her government, to Members of Parliament and all in positions of responsibility, the guidance of your Spirit. May they never lead the nation wrongly through love of power, desire to please, or unworthy ideals but laying aside all private interests and prejudices keep in mind their responsibility to seek to improve the condition of all mankind; so may your kingdom come and your name be hallowed.

Amen."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bristol peeps, this is happening on Friday and will probably vibe with UKMT attitudes. I hope to be there myself if my mental health has sorted itself out by then.

Bristol Rise For Democracy posted:

This will be the second assembly of its type in Bristol.

We are building something that is fit to challenge the further concentration of power within the hands of a hard right section of the ruling class. We want to build something that is not only fit to mount a transformative response to the present situation, but will outlast this crisis and be a step in the way to building structures that bring the power back to the people.

We want to extend democracy, not simply defend the scraps that we had before this mess.

Now is the time to get organised - we have everything to win.

Everything for everyone. All of us first.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Church of England wants to appoint female bishops? Yep Parliament has to give it the okay.

You can make the argument for disestablishment and everyone in NI and Wales will quietly wonder why you haven't bothered already

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

England is officially, Wales waived that quite recently (1920s), and Scotland struck it ages ago due to the king trying to force bishops on their Kirk or the wrong kind of bishops or something. I'm not touching NI, I think they still haven't found the last person who tried to establish a state religion there.

minema
May 31, 2011
McDonnell might not be the most powerful speaker but he just seems so genuine and invested in what he's saying. I think it makes a good contrast to the shiny Tories saying whatever the line of the week is.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

minema posted:

McDonnell might not be the most powerful speaker but he just seems so genuine and invested in what he's saying. I think it makes a good contrast to the shiny Tories saying whatever the line of the week is.

I dunno who writes for him, but that person deserves a big raise. That was great.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not touching NI, I think they still haven't found the last person who tried to establish a state religion there.

The state religion of NI is Fleg

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

England is officially, Wales waived that quite recently (1920s), and Scotland struck it ages ago due to the king trying to force bishops on their Kirk or the wrong kind of bishops or something. I'm not touching NI, I think they still haven't found the last person who tried to establish a state religion there.

The church of Ireland was disestablished in 1869 after being split off from the Church of England (they merged for a few decades post Union)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

kustomkarkommando posted:

lol are you forgetting we have bishops setting in the house of lords and Parliament literally controls many aspects of the Church of England

I'm not British.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Bercow slapping eggman down again.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm not British.

Well we do, the church of England is a state church much like Denmark or Norway

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

god I loving hate javid, want to watch this foul oval office burned in acid

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't you live in Norway lol?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A couple of my meltier friends are somewhat down on Corbyn (and like Yvette Cooper :gonk:) but they were both super enthusiastic about McDonnell. No, I don't get it either, but it's probably further proof that he would be a decent successor to Corbyn.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Don't you live in Norway lol?

No. I have family there, though.

Also had no idea they had a state Church.

VVV Guess not, lol

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 4, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well we do, the church of England is a state church much like Denmark or Norway*

*Norway no longer has a state church as of 2012, because what the gently caress even is that poo poo. Unacceptable.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

Fair enough. Still dumb.

Sorry, religion combined with government is one of my pet peeves.

Parliament is a mediaeval institution. They've being saying prayers in parliament since the days when the next order of business was to legislate for people to be burned at the stake for liking/not liking the Pope. Our government rather predates that 'separation of church and state' idea, that was one of the things the yanks didn't like about it.

See also: separation of powers, which we don't have, as Parliament is currently literally proving. Our supreme court only stopped being a subset of the House of Lords like a decade ago, even.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Brexit uh...finds a way

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

AceOfFlames posted:

No. I have family* there, though.

Also had no idea they had a state Church.

*nobody has family in Norway we all detest eachother as equals. Familial attachment is done via a 3067-B form with the tax authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How do you do your sectarianism without a state church?