Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So what happens today? A vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

OwlFancier posted:

How do you do your sectarianism without a state church?

I think flutes, drums, flegs and "walking along the Queen's highway" do it

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A vote that will force bojo to beg the eu for an extension.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

poo poo’s obviously about to go down so I’ve bitten the bullet and have joined the Labour Party. I’m in the Ealing Central and Acton constituency for the OP list. The site crapped out when I pressed the confirm button, but I got an email welcoming me to the party, so I guess it worked. But I need a membership number to access the MyLabour stuff, and the email didn’t include one. Was that on the page that didn’t load, or will it be turning up in an email later?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's another one of those things that despite the US going to great lengths to protest its separation of church and state we're still better at it in practice despite literally giving the church seats in the lords.
It's funny because one of the big reasons for Great Awakening religious types to be against a state church wasn't because ~freedom of religion~ in a "I should be able to choose between Catholicism and Islam and atheism" way but because

Rev. W. Hanna, Memoirs of Thomas Chalmers posted:

For in its promoters view a state religion, or compulsory support of religious institutions was inconsistent with the nature of religion ... its tendency, as exhibited by its effects was to secularize religion, promote hypocrisy, perpetuate error, produce infidelity, destroy the unity and purity of the Church, and disturb the peace and order of civil society.

They viewed state churches as bad because by being such an entwined part of the state people would be drawn away from faith, fervor, and religion and into viewing it as just some poo poo you did at Christmas and Easter until it dwindled away in significance entirely.

Quite prescient :getin:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes, today is the 'go beg for an extension, you failure, you stupid gently caress' bill, and is generally expected to pass. It'll be voted on later this evening.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Honest question. What would happen if after being forced to go for an extension he just didn't. Would he be indicted by some function of the role of government, or would it be up to MPs to VONC?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I hope the vote passes and Boris decides to self-immolate as a form of protest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Primpod posted:

Honest question. What would happen if after being forced to go for an extension he just didn't. Would he be indicted by some function of the role of government, or would it be up to MPs to VONC?

A race between Parliament and the judiciary to see who can do him for it first, probably won by parliament because they can hold him in contempt with a vote then Bercow breaks out the parliament cops.

Of course I don't think the speaker has ever tried to arrest the prime minister before so that's a loving constitutional nightmare in and of itself but that'd be my suggestion! It is something he should theoretically be allowed to do but it'd be unprecedented.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
No goverment was held in contempt until may so I wouldn't be shocked to see boris ask for a extension at gunpoint

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

What about the 100+ amendments that have to be debated in the Lords?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1169239920461975557

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Vlex posted:

What about the 100+ amendments that have to be debated in the Lords?

I believe they can shorten debate time for each of them. And the Tories don't have a majority there

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Big J McD is my spirit politician.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What's to stop Johnson just waltzing over to Brussels and saying oi cunts gis an extension and then just gently caress off. Like will there be a criteria here or is it just an assumption this guy is going to do something he doesn't want to do. Is the happy scenario expectation that the EU will just give an extension regardless on the pretext they hope Labour wins a snap? None of this seems realistic even if Johnson loses the vote today. That doesn't even take into consideration some of the loons in the EU 27 helping him no deal out by refusing an extension.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

AceOfFlames posted:

Why are prayers at the top of the list? I thought it was the US that had the religious lunatics.

I have been told by a former MP that it is how you bag your place for the day in the House if you want a seat!
There aren't enough seats for all MPs in a full chamber, so if you want to be there with a seat, you bag a place at prayers.

ed: beaten again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What actually is the next step after this bill? A vote on revocation in the event of no deal being agreed by Parliament? That seems like the only way to actually guarantee that no deal is taken off the table regardless of whether we leave or not.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Holy gently caress

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

lemonadesweetheart posted:

What's to stop Johnson just waltzing over to Brussels and saying oi cunts gis an extension and then just gently caress off. Like will there be a criteria here or is it just an assumption this guy is going to do something he doesn't want to do. Is the happy scenario expectation that the EU will just give an extension regardless on the pretext they hope Labour wins a snap? None of this seems realistic even if Johnson loses the vote today. That doesn't even take into consideration some of the loons in the EU 27 helping him no deal out by refusing an extension.

I think the EU would be very happy to give another extension, if they get a reason for doing so. Boris just bumbling over won't cut it - they need to see some kind of material change in UK politics either happening or on the horizon. Boris going over and saying "look, humpaflompa, we're doing a GE basically about Brexit and we'll have an answer" might do it. The EU at this point is essentially done with Brexit (until the actual trade negotiations start) because - as Barnier has said 150,000 times - the deal on the table is the one you're going to get. End of story.

The only way the deal changes is if the Tories are booted out and May's/BoJo's red lines are a thing of the past and a new (Labour) government would consider Norway/EEA an option, if not full remain. But if BoJo wins the election it's over, guaranteed.

I mean, the bizarre thing on the Labour/LibDem side is a little bit that they just expect the EU to just nod along with whatever the gently caress is going on. That's gonna end pretty soon.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What actually is the next step after this bill? A vote on revocation in the event of no deal being agreed by Parliament? That seems like the only way to actually guarantee that no deal is taken off the table regardless of whether we leave or not.

GE, Labour forms govt, negotiates a deal without May's red lines, brings it to the people as Deal vs Remain.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

As to the current EU attitude to all this: :ughh:

I posted an article about it a few pages back

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The bill itself explains it better:
https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/status/1168560598650621953

Mostly focus on section 3 (in picture 3 on page 3, as it happens).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Holy poo poo I didn't realise it dictated the exact letter Boris would have to send to the EU :laffo::laffo:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I find this a bit bizarre - maybe Cummings is a sort of Heat Seaking Missile designed to destroy the tories from inside?

quote:

Mr Cummings’ political affiliations have also been the subject of fevered speculation in Westminster.

On Tuesday the adviser was asked if he was a member of the Conservative Party and refused to answer.

It has taken Cummings two weeks to become everything he hates
The 47-year-old gave a speech in 2017, in which he said “people think, and by the way I think most people are right: ‘The Tory party is run by people who basically don’t care about people like me.’”

“That is what most people in the country have thought about the Tory party for decades. I know a lot of Tory MPs and I am sad to say the public is basically correct,” Mr Cummings added.

“Tory MPs largely do not care about these poorer people. They don’t care about the NHS. And the public has kind of cottoned on to that.”
source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-brexit-vote-commons-no-deal-downing-street-a9091181.html

And I was idly wondering whether given how unpopular Johnson seems to be with tory MPs whether they voted for him in the leadership election just so they could finish him off once and for all?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah it's a real good example of how the UK system differs from say, the US one.

Parliament runs the country, the PM only gets a say by virtue of being able to command a majority, and boris currently has a -43 majority lol. Until he fixes that he does what he's told.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/StewartWood/status/1169177033383043072

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know Jeremy should really offer Nutt a lordship so he can be the official Weedlord.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Appropriate for Baron Janner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdydtDuj3VU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Saros posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't realise it dictated the exact letter Boris would have to send to the EU :laffo::laffo:

Would YOU trust Boris with just about anything?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Bercow has done his homework. Good lad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Primpod posted:

Hmmmm. Constitutionally, does it even need Boris' cooperation? The EU want Article 50 to be invoked by 'the British government'. Boris isn't that per se, he's just some bloke, so if it came right down to it I wonder if the EU would be just like 'ok, right, Parliament is sovereign and has invoked the article, we're good here'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Saros posted:

it owns that he's being treated like that kid that couldn't stop teasing the class pet in kindergarten

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The bill doesn't state 'no backsies' or explicitly demand the uncrossing of fingers. For shame.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1169231615148662784
Looks like The BJ Clown has failed?

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Hmmmm. Constitutionally, does it even need Boris' cooperation? The EU want Article 50 to be invoked by 'the British government'. Boris isn't that per se, he's just some bloke, so if it came right down to it I wonder if the EU would be just like 'ok, right, Parliament is sovereign and has invoked the article, we're good here'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9g4YsGpO-A

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Forcing BoJo to extend again is a great flex for an election, IMO. Makes him look like a complete loving moron and riles the BXP vote up.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

OwlFancier posted:

A race between Parliament and the judiciary to see who can do him for it first, probably won by parliament because they can hold him in contempt with a vote then Bercow breaks out the parliament cops.

Of course I don't think the speaker has ever tried to arrest the prime minister before so that's a loving constitutional nightmare in and of itself but that'd be my suggestion! It is something he should theoretically be allowed to do but it'd be unprecedented.
That makes sense. I figured it would be illegal in some way, just not how quickly it would move once it happened. Just concerned about him terminally throwing the toys out the pram and breaking government rather than conceding an inch after too long watching american politics.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

This is absolute comedy gold but i'm not entirely sure it's a good idea. Then again having brexit extended *and* further in the future might help make it a little less all consuming for the election.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is what I was referring to earlier - would stopping no deal mean passing a bill that literally auto-revokes Article 50 if no other deal is agreed by Parliament, or would it take some other form? I guess we'll find out either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Breaking the UK government is a bit harder because we don't have separation of powers. Breaking the government is when the commons can't agree on anything, but if it can agree on something, and right now it agrees that boris is a moron, it can enact legislation and has some degree of independent ability to force it to be complied with.

The difficult part is really that I don't believe a PM has ever said "no u" to the commons before. And the only thing I can think of that would be comparable would be the civil war which ended with james the first being decapitated and christmas being banned lol. And the UK being a creature of habit, it doesn't generally like having to set new precedents. Arresting the PM would be a constitutional level precedent, which Bercow would probably enjoy but which would be profoundly weird.