Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Here are the existing knights for new standard

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Aknight+legal%3Afuture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

corpse knight, knight of the ebon legion and midnight reaper are the playable ones there. possibly the two skyknights if it doesn't gently caress up your mana too hard

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Looks like I'll be crafting some benalish marshals and histories of benalia for historic.

Don't they rotate out after this set?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Samael posted:

Don't they rotate out after this set?

For Historic

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Galaxy brain move to make the round table itself a card.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

She's a gallery artist now. She legit has better things to do now.

Her insta is NSFW but man alive, she is good.

If she's in this set, it'll be because she wants to be and because they showed her the money she deserves. I'd love for them to give her a real showcase card like they do Seb. There's no way, though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WOTC this afternoon posted:

We talked Rebecca Guay out of retirement and paid her a million dollars to do the food token.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Can we get a thread consensus on whether Adventures are "basically just Kicker" or "basically just Flashback"?

I think making them have zero graveyard value is actually pretty interesting, it means they can push it further than something like Aftermath if they want.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a flashback mechanic, though a much more interesting one than the Retrace/Jump Start.

It's not kicker, since you don't have to do both at the same time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Imo it's closer to kicker because you have two options when you cast it and that determines what happens later

Obviously not a perfect analogy in this case, this is one of the few mechanics that isn't just a subset of kicker, split cards, or <blank>back

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 4, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So to answer your question:

mossyfisk posted:

Can we get a thread consensus on whether Adventures are "basically just Kicker" or "basically just Flashback"?

No.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's flashkicker, kind of deceptively both kicker and flashback. A very guileful mechanic.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It has nothing to do with the graveyard so comparing it to flashback doesn't make much sense. It's more like split-kicker.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

the card is absolutely loving bonkers in limited
It's a five mana do nothing enchantment if you play it into an empty board, and a 5 mana Anthem if you don't have a critical mass of Knights. The floor is way too low to call it absolutely loving bonkers.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

Imo it's closer to kicker because you have two options when you cast it and that determines what happens later

Obviously not a perfect analogy in this case, this is one of the few mechanics that isn't just a subset of kicker, split cards, or <blank>back

it's basically a split card
side #1 is a creature
side #2 is a spell that lets you later cast a creature

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tibalt posted:

It's a five mana do nothing enchantment if you play it into an empty board, and a 5 mana Anthem if you don't have a critical mass of Knights. The floor is way too low to call it absolutely loving bonkers.

a card that churns out 3/3s every turn is absolutely loving bonkers in limited, even if it's not good to enough to instantly win the game when you have an empty board and are facing down lethal

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

corpse knight, knight of the ebon legion and midnight reaper are the playable ones there. possibly the two skyknights if it doesn't gently caress up your mana too hard

I could see running one of the Cavaliers as a curve topper as well but that depends on the direction the deck goes in and what gets spoiled later on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

it's aftermath, which is Flashback, and also a split card. not kicker

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wonder how common artifact destruction is though. Any red deck would probably be happy mainboarding shieldbreaker for example, and there might be more stuff that is intended to eat all the food.

Obviously anything that makes a 3/3 every turn is still powerful, but it might be the target of a few surprising blowouts.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Jabor posted:

a card that churns out 3/3s every turn is absolutely loving bonkers in limited, even if it's not good to enough to instantly win the game when you have an empty board and are facing down lethal
I'm not saying it's bad because it's not a wrath, i'm saying that calling it "absolutely loving bonkers" when it'll sometimes be a dead topdeck is hyperbolic.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Now that's a good card

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ehhhh

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

At least on Arena, Garruk is the preorder bonus card.
It's kinda whatever, but being able to do his -5 the turn after if any of the wolves die is pretty appealing.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Motherfuckin garruk tribal in modern here I come

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
That Garruk is very good. It's a six Mana Planeswalker that is almost always going to be a three for one at minimum.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

is that garruk the buy a box or what

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

It is basically 6-drop Vraska only less flexible.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

6 seems like kind of a lot, but maybe all this food makes for a slower format.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

is that garruk the buy a box or what

The collector pack or whatever versions all have high collector's numbers

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sampatrick posted:

Now that's a good card

Probably some good interplay with Proliferate too, looks like a format defining card unless it's a fast one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Spark double Garruk and ult same turn

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Say it with me WotC

Mardu Knight Legendary. Mardu Knight Legendary.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

It is basically 6-drop Vraska only less flexible.

It's much stronger. You get two cards on the minus and two tokens on the psuedo plus.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that wolf has a tree for a hat

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I don't know if it's good, but I really like that garruk

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Food tokens

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Tibalt posted:

I'm not saying it's bad because it's not a wrath, i'm saying that calling it "absolutely loving bonkers" when it'll sometimes be a dead topdeck is hyperbolic.

the card isn't good when behind but the decks that want it the most are aggro decks that are dropping it turn 4 that don't care about recovering when behind, and it gives them a mana sink which is the most important thing to push an aggro deck over the finish line. it's a windmill slam first pick that you can draft around, regardless of semantics of word choice or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Croissants are finally in the multiverse