Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mendrian posted:

How can the entire Trump family insist on wearing suits but none of them employ a tailor.

For real. They look like me at my first job interview wearing my grandpa's hand me down suit.

Edit-gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My actual thoughts on that are to regulate ammo instead of trying to regulate guns. Only able to be purchased at a firing range, for use on that range. Guns have to be checked for remaining ammo when you leave. If you make it really hard to get bullets, you make it really hard to kill people with guns.

If it makes anyone feel better, I know a staunch Republican that told me last week "At this point, I'm ready to give up the guns. Bow hunting is more fun anyways." :unsmith:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

hidden_msg posted:

Interestingly in Dave Chappelle's new special this is a point he makes with one of his jokes. That there is no meaningful way to disarm dangerous white folk. When I thought about this I realized he isn't wrong. I am sure a gun buyback program coupled with making some parts and accessories rarer could move the needle a bit but I just don't see folks who have M4 Carbines or ARs giving them up at all.

They almost seem tied to their sense of self. So if that is the situation what do you do?

I mean frankly speaking, they're not the problem and you don't really have to do anything. Like, yeah, the guy with 100+ guns in their basement who keeps talking about revolution might be unsettling, but with a handful of exceptions those people aren't the ones going out and committing mass shootings.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

KillHour posted:

My actual thoughts on that are to regulate ammo instead of trying to regulate guns. Only able to be purchased at a firing range, for use on that range. Guns have to be checked for remaining ammo when you leave. If you make it really hard to get bullets, you make it really hard to kill people with guns.:
This is a Chris Rock bit from like 25 years ago.

All the same legal problems, even harder to regulate.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KillHour posted:

My actual thoughts on that are to regulate ammo instead of trying to regulate guns. Only able to be purchased at a firing range, for use on that range. Guns have to be checked for remaining ammo when you leave. If you make it really hard to get bullets, you make it really hard to kill people with guns.

If it makes anyone feel better, I know a staunch Republican that told me last week "At this point, I'm ready to give up the guns. Bow hunting is more fun anyways." :unsmith:

any extensive regulation of ammo in the way you suggest would just be de facto gun regulation even if not de jure, and would run up against the same (potential) set of second amendment problems.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Personally I think people underestimate how quickly "common sense" can change because the current version of it has been enforced for 40+ years.
Which incase it wasnt obvious is not normal.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean frankly speaking, they're not the problem and you don't really have to do anything. Like, yeah, the guy with 100+ guns in their basement who keeps talking about revolution might be unsettling, but with a handful of exceptions those people aren't the ones going out and committing mass shootings.

Uhhh

We don't know for sure, but that appears to be exactly what the Vegas shooter was

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ginette Reno posted:

Eric has his Dad's fat rear end and bad posture and Don JR has a weird body where he's got long spindly arms but no shoulders.

Also Dad is the only one that looks happy there

That’s because you know dad yelled and slapped at them for years about body language and power moves and whatnot.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1169249774526185478?s=20

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Eric has his Dad's fat rear end and bad posture and Don JR has a weird body where he's got long spindly arms but no shoulders.

Also Dad is the only one that looks happy there

Don Jr is just fat. Dude probably spends all day eating and drinking poo poo.

I have a former coworker who's a turbo chud and also super into lifting. He posts memes on social media making fun of people who lift wrong or complain about the gym. He also seems to really love Don Jr as a masculine aspiration. Chuds are fuckin dumb.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well if you let that environment persist. If I am a bad actor the easiest way for me to get a semi auto weapon is to make friends with a person who has a gun and then convince them to let me borrow it or steal it. So I am not sure you can just preserve them in some sort of legal bubble and expect for things to change.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

eke out posted:

any extensive regulation of ammo in the way you suggest would just be de facto gun regulation even if not de jure, and would run up against the same (potential) set of second amendment problems.

On top of that, reloading shotgun shells is actually pretty easy and can be done at home with equipment that’s found in an antique store, some gunpowder, some sort of shot of choice and a small food scale.

Shotguns don’t have the range of rifles but are just as horribly dangerous, so we’d just see rashes of shotgun-based shootings instead.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1169249774526185478

Lol Dan Crenshaw is loaning guns to people

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I didnt realize so many agreed with Megan McCain.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

On top of that, reloading shotgun shells is actually pretty easy and can be done at home with equipment that’s found in an antique store, some gunpowder, some sort of shot of choice and a small food scale.

Shotguns don’t have the range of rifles but are just as horribly dangerous, so we’d just see rashes of shotgun-based shootings instead.

I can't imagine a Vegas, VT, or otherwise large scale mass shooting with a shotgun & home filled shells working quite as planned.

Otoh, we'd just see more homemade bombs or IEDs or whatever.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

hidden_msg posted:

I grew up in and around the swamps of Louisiana and I can tell you folks down the bayou are different. It is a whole other world and the cops don't patrol there. Some are probably afraid because most cajun folks don't particularly like cops or trust the government. These are people with acres of land 30+ rifles and will bury them in places then surround it with booby traps. Who know how to modify the m4 carbine to make it fully automatic. And those aren't even the crazy ones. This is just the environment you grow up in.

I hope we navigate the issue in some way because it needs to happen. I am just pessimistic about the reality of it happening and I hope I am wrong.

This is honestly fine, though. Like, if we got to the point where people were either handing their guns in or literally burying them in their yards then I'd call that a victory. You won't get every gun, but we're at least making positive steps if we can limit access and make it more difficult and risky for shooters to transport an arsenal to their preferred locations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1169255063476457472

https://mobile.twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1169258314087194625

Something people do not think of when it comes to the barbaric kidnaping going on by ICE.

Edit: stupid comment and apologize for saying it

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 4, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ripoff posted:

Nobody is going to be nearly as lethal with a shotgun as they are an AR15. It's still horrific, but shotguns don't have 100 round magazines and aren't semi auto most of the time.

Reloading shotgun shells is actually not hard, and is cheaper than buying new. If people had to load their own shells there would be a barrier to entry at least.

Also shotguns have a legitimate defense and hunting purpose that an AR simply doesn't.

What I'm saying is that if we only allowed shotguns it would be a drastic improvement over the status quo.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Something people do not think of when it comes to the barbaric kidnaping going on by ICE.

"this is doing permanent damage to children" is something folks have been shouting since day one of the family separation policy

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Nobody is going to be nearly as lethal with a shotgun as they are an AR15. It's still horrific, but shotguns don't have 100 round magazines and aren't semi auto most of the time.

Reloading shotgun shells is actually not hard, and is cheaper than buying new. If people had to load their own shells there would be a barrier to entry at least.

Also shotguns have a legitimate defense and hunting purpose that an AR simply doesn't.

What I'm saying is that if we only allowed shotguns it would be a drastic improvement over the status quo.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

They really don't because hunting migratory birds is stupid and shotguns are not a great self defense tool. An AR platform rifle is pretty much the gold standard for defense because it is 70 years of refinement geared towards killing or disabling a human at ranges less than 400m.

5.56 is also generally much safer for use indoors due to its tendency to fragment and tumble rather than plow through walls like buck or slugs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

theflyingorc posted:

Uhhh

We don't know for sure, but that appears to be exactly what the Vegas shooter was

That is the biggest exception, but it is an exception.

hidden_msg posted:

Well if you let that environment persist. If I am a bad actor the easiest way for me to get a semi auto weapon is to make friends with a person who has a gun and then convince them to let me borrow it or steal it. So I am not sure you can just preserve them in some sort of legal bubble and expect for things to change.

The way I look at it is that machine guns are still technically legal, but they're so restricted and such a pain in the rear end to get ahold of that nobody who has one is just going to lend one out. Give most semi-autos the same treatment, and the same thing will happen-supply drops over time while costs rise, making them harder and harder to get, and no one is going to be willing to lend them out because the criminal penalties are so severe, and because they're legitimate investments.

Frankly speaking we don't even need to ban anything, just throw semi-autos under NFA Title II (same restrictions as MGs), make hi-cap mags NFA items, and restrict the production of new weapons, and that takes care of 90% of the problem.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1169258314087194625

As a parent of young children, this is practically the ONLY thing I think about when it comes to the family separations. These kids are getting absolutely shattered by a system they cannot comprehend.

On my younger daughter's third birthday, a NYT front page story was about a two year old representing herself in immigration court and it loving broke me completely.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dan Crenshaw really loves getting dunked on on Twitter....

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ummel posted:

This is what I'm talking about.

Brothers and Sisters, what have they done to you that you don't even know it?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nth Doctor posted:

As a parent of young children, this is practically the ONLY thing I think about when it comes to the family separations. These kids are getting absolutely shattered by a system they cannot comprehend.

same

i mean this without any malice at all, but a take like "folks don't consider the impact that separating a young child from their parents has on the child's emotional health" is a take that can only come from someone who doesn't have kids. for parents it is screamingly obvious

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

What else is he going to do with them after kidnapping them via balloon?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nth Doctor posted:

On my younger daughter's third birthday, a NYT front page story was about a two year old representing herself in immigration court and it loving broke me completely.

loving same man.

If you have any ability to do so please look into foster care. there are so many children that need a good family and home.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I apologize for comment, I did not mean it in that way but I see how it came like that. :(

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I think a lot of you really don't quite grasp how much the COME AND TAKE IT MOLON LABE DONT TREAD ON ME BROTHERRRRRRR poo poo is entrenched in the gun community. It's not just "the crazies", it is the culture.

As much as I loath the screeching progeny of John McCain, she is correct in that any kind of confiscation operation would likely spark some kind of conflict within the US.

To be clear, I have no idea what the solution is, and there are nearly 400 million guns owned by civilians within the US - but the Dems routinely don't have the loving spine to fight back against the GOP on matters that are far less likely to spark a goddamn second civil war, so 🤷‍♂️

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

I think about it a lot.

The way PTSD works, whether it be children or soldiers...
Step 1: Traumatic event
Step 2: post-traumatic, pre-sleep period
Step 3: sleep
Step 4: post-traumatic, post-sleep period

If in step 2, after the traumatic experience and BEFORE FALLING ASLEEP (EARLY INTERVENTION IS KEY), the human being that suffered the traumatic event has a conversation with a caring sympathetic person, and the victim feels /heard/, and THEN moves on to step 3... you get a significant reduction in later PTSD symptoms. Like, an order of magnitude less.

If you skip step 2, and send a traumatized person right to sleep, the sleep cycle just bakes it all in and it becomes a defining feature for that humans' experience /forever/.

That early intervention, the soothing, the empathy, the sympathy, the listening and hearing, the feeling heard... that's how you stop PTSD.

Instead there are children in cages drinking out of toilets infested with scabbies while the flu goes around and they're crying themselves to sleep unsoothed every night.

This is /horrifying/. No act of legislature is required to immediate put an end to this machine. It's breaking humans.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I agree with you 100% on shotguns being a huge improvement over what we have now, just trying to make the argument that regulating ammunition isn’t going to be sufficient enough to stop shootings in general.

ummel posted:

I can't imagine a Vegas, VT, or otherwise large scale mass shooting with a shotgun & home filled shells working quite as planned.

We won’t see a Vegas or VT, sure, but there’s no questioning that a kid could walk into a tightly packed school cafeteria and commit an atrocity with a shotgun, which is unacceptable.

As for the homemade bomb thing yeah, this is true. We’d suddenly see incels and former 8-channers getting a sudden interest in fertilizer and aluminum oxide. Thankfully though, bomb-making is hard and would be less successful, as evidenced by the Columbine shooters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Solving spree killings shouldn't be the primary goal of gun legislation in any case.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

Don Jr is just fat. Dude probably spends all day eating and drinking poo poo.

I have a former coworker who's a turbo chud and also super into lifting. He posts memes on social media making fun of people who lift wrong or complain about the gym. He also seems to really love Don Jr as a masculine aspiration. Chuds are fuckin dumb.

It's just really weird to see an adult male with no shoulders. Even if you don't work out you'd usually have some naturally but Don JR just....doesn't.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Objurium posted:

I think a lot of you really don't quite grasp how much the COME AND TAKE IT MOLON LABE DONT TREAD ON ME BROTHERRRRRRR poo poo is entrenched in the gun community. It's not just "the crazies", it is the culture.

As much as I loath the screeching progeny of John McCain, she is correct in that any kind of confiscation operation would likely spark some kind of conflict within the US.

To be clear, I have no idea what the solution is, and there are nearly 400 million guns owned by civilians within the US - but the Dems routinely don't have the loving spine to fight back against the GOP on matters that are far less likely to spark a goddamn second civil war, so 🤷‍♂️

You start by reversing the otherization of their local government so when the local sheriff deputy says they need you to stand down you dont think its Jade Helm.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1169263856582971397

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Objurium posted:

I'm totally fine with them having to figure out if their cop worship takes precedent over their gun worship.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
The gun people are already doing violence. Take their loving guns away.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Super-Id posted:

The gun people are already doing violence. Take their loving guns away.

I don't even like the just take away assault weapons poo poo. take it all away.

if people want to shoot guns they can go do it at the range where it's supervised but gently caress anyone personally owning one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

James Garfield posted:

I don't remember where I saw it, but apparently when some of the white supremacist reddits were closed the posters there mostly didn't move to other white supremacist reddits or whatever the reddit version of gab is called, they just quit posting.

This doesn’t surprise me, there’s an inherent parasocial aspect to this.

If we closed Something Awful tomorrow, there would be offshoots and some people might gather and stick together, but most people probably wouldn’t because it’s hard to just replicate a community like that. There’s both a lack of legitimacy and the reality that not everyone likes everyone else enough to want to do that.