Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sparksbloom posted:

Not sure if this would be a good bet for what I'm looking for, but it looked promising looking through recent pages. The Dell XPS 15 looked promising too.

The XPS15 has some pretty annoying thermal throttle problems especially when the GPU is running full blast.

Gaming Laptops like the Helios series are bulkier but tend to have better thermal performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Razer Stealth is getting i7-1065G7 Ice Lake (at 25w) and you can spec it out with a GTX1650 if you want.

https://www.cnet.com/news/razer-blade-stealth-ultrabooks-it-in-white-with-ice-lake/

Edit: Models equipped with the DGPU are 15w for the CPU instead of 25w.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 4, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Has anyone had bad/good experiences using Klarna to finance a laptop from Lenovo.com? I suddenly have no laptop at the moment and having it sooner rather than later would definitely be preferable. I’m confident I’d be able to pay it off before interest is accrued.

It is generally considered a really bad idea to finance anything besides a car or a house

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The Razer Stealth is getting i7-1065G7 Ice Lake (at 25w) and you can spec it out with a GTX1650 if you want.

https://www.cnet.com/news/razer-blade-stealth-ultrabooks-it-in-white-with-ice-lake/

The 1650 in that chassis is best dGPU in that size class, and the only nearest competitor is the Surface Book 2 w/ 1050 dgpu, but that's got a fanless CPU which throttles pretty hard.

That's 1080p 60hz @ medium-high triple-A gaming.

Looking forward to the reviews and thermal tests. Wonder if they've ported the vapor chamber from the Blade 15.

Frankly it would be nice if we could get the i7/1650 with a 256GB SSD for less cash moneys and then upgrade the SSD ourselves, but alas.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 4, 2019

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Wow, they're sticking to 100W USB-C PD even for the GTX1650 version. This looks really compelling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Another article.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/4/20837517/razer-blade-stealth-2019-nvidia-gtx-1650-graphics-gaming-laptop-intel-ice-lake

The Verge said it was smooth sailing 60+ FPS at 1080p Ultra settings in Doom.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The t470 is on sale for 600, is that a good price for a new one or is used still the way to go for a thinkpad?

I'm mainly looking for a general purpose laptop

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jarvisi posted:

The t470 is on sale for 600, is that a good price for a new one or is used still the way to go for a thinkpad?

I'm mainly looking for a general purpose laptop

What options does it have?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The 1650 in that chassis is best dGPU in that size class, and the only nearest competitor is the Surface Book 2 w/ 1050 dgpu, but that's got a fanless CPU which throttles pretty hard.

That's 1080p 60hz @ medium-high triple-A gaming.

Looking forward to the reviews and thermal tests. Wonder if they've ported the vapor chamber from the Blade 15.

Frankly it would be nice if we could get the i7/1650 with a 256GB SSD for less cash moneys and then upgrade the SSD ourselves, but alas.

Holy crap, that's awesome. That plus a 1440p144 screen with vrr is basically the perfect laptop.

Given intel gen11 graphics are supposed to be vrr capable, is it possible we could finally have optimus and adaptive sync coexisting?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Bob Morales posted:

What options does it have?

It's got 8 gigs ddr4 ram and a 256 ssd, which both seem pretty nice! I5 6300, sixth gen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm sure if it had any sort of adaptive frame rate on the internal panel, Razer would be crowing about it. That said, I'm really seriously considering getting rid of all the various PCs I have (XPS15, Surface Pro, Desktop), distilling down to the 4k model, and tossing my GTX1080 into Razer Core X Chroma for extra ommph on external monitors and calling it a day. I mean, even if it is a 15w mobile part, the i7-1065G7 has to be close to my desktop's i5-3570k's performance running a GTX1080, right?

In other news, UNLEASH THE NEXT POINTLESS SPEC RACE at IFA. A bunch of new models from Acer are getting 300hz panels. Because...that's needed with notebook graphics being what they are.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

I'm sure if it had any sort of adaptive frame rate on the internal panel, Razer would be crowing about it. That said, I'm really seriously considering getting rid of all the various PCs I have (XPS15, Surface Pro, Desktop), distilling down to the 4k model, and tossing my GTX1080 into Razer Core X Chroma for extra ommph on external monitors and calling it a day. I mean, even if it is a 15w mobile part, the i7-1065G7 has to be close to my desktop's i5-3570k's performance running a GTX1080, right?

In other news, UNLEASH THE NEXT POINTLESS SPEC RACE at IFA. A bunch of new models from Acer are getting 300hz panels. Because...that's needed with notebook graphics being what they are.

Yeah, I'm still baffled as to why Razer doesn't offer G-Sync on their Blade laptops, even as a premium. It would be especially useful for the lower end models where they are definitely not exceeding the refresh rate of their displays.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, apparently the 1650 in this is the Max-P 50w part not the Max-Q 35w you get in something like the XPS15.

Really really curious about the thermal reviews of this. They've apparently give SOME thought to it though if the dgpu models are going to have 15w Ice Lake vs 25w in the ones without a dgpu (those ones also only come with a 65w charger vs 100w for the dgpu models).

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

space marine todd posted:

Yeah, I'm still baffled as to why Razer doesn't offer G-Sync on their Blade laptops, even as a premium. It would be especially useful for the lower end models where they are definitely not exceeding the refresh rate of their displays.

G-Sync means no Optimus, which means the dGPU is always activated, which means low battery life. They could just put in a bios mux switch actually, Asus and a couple of others did that.

That would in fact be the best possible thing for any laptop so it can switch between Optimus and *sync.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

G-Sync means no Optimus, which means the dGPU is always activated, which means low battery life. They could just put in a bios mux switch actually, Asus and a couple of others did that.

That would in fact be the best possible thing for any laptop so it can switch between Optimus and *sync.

That makes sense, but I'm curious if anyone is actually using a Blade 15 or 17 untethered for very long.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

space marine todd posted:

That makes sense, but I'm curious if anyone is actually using a Blade 15 or 17 untethered for very long.

Noooope. I had a Blade 15 and I was lucky to get 4 hours out of it with power savings options all turned on and just puttering around on the internet. I know that's sufficient for a lot of people, but yeah, you're not really going too far without a power cord.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

DrDork posted:

Noooope. I had a Blade 15 and I was lucky to get 4 hours out of it with power savings options all turned on and just puttering around on the internet. I know that's sufficient for a lot of people, but yeah, you're not really going too far without a power cord.

Yeah, I have a Blade 15 RTX 2080 right now and I only use it at hotels while plugged in. I'd much rather have G-Sync than whatever minimal battery life I can get with Optimus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is all why I think the push for higher refresh rate screens is really really dumb past a certain point. All they are going to do is consume more power and without adaptive refresh you are likely going to make things worse.

The new Stealth should be interesting. It only has a 53wh battery, but only has a 13" 60hz screen and only single zone RGB keyboard lighting. That's about the same size battery as the XPS 13 (52wh) also with a 15w TDP chip. Assuming optimus does its thing properly, it SHOULD get similar battery life to the XPS13 with doing things that don't require the dGPU. That will be a major step forward in this space to have a "normal" machine last for a good amount of time on battery that can also play games pretty well when you aren't concerned about battery.

The new Stealth falls under Intel's Project Athena which has some hard requirements for battery life and general use. It being a new standard though it remains to be seen how effective it is.

• 9 hours of real-world battery life, browsing the web over Wi-Fi, with their screen set to a level of brightness (250 nits)
  • wake from sleep in under a second
  • be ready to browse the web in under two seconds
  • have the same sort of responsiveness on battery that they have when plugged into the wall

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

That's actually what I was speculating/wondering about though: the gen11 igpu in ice lake supports vesa adaptive sync. Optimus doesn't work with gsync because to do optimus you have to pass the dgpu frame through the igpu - now that the igpu can do vrr would optimus and gsync or adaptive sync (since nvidia does adaptive sync now as well) be possible with optimus rather than a hardware mux.

I'm aware the blade stealth doesn't have vrr this was more of a speculative question.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jarvisi posted:

It's got 8 gigs ddr4 ram and a 256 ssd, which both seem pretty nice! I5 6300, sixth gen.

I just checked it out - good deal

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

• 9 hours of real-world battery life, browsing the web over Wi-Fi, with their screen set to a level of brightness (250 nits)
  • wake from sleep in under a second
  • be ready to browse the web in under two seconds
  • have the same sort of responsiveness on battery that they have when plugged into the wall

I really would like to talk to whoever is in charge of some of these design features and ask them who the gently caress their focus groups are. If ever given the choice, I will always opt to accept a slightly longer resume time if it gets me better battery life. This whole "connected sleep" bullshit that means that I can't leave some laptops sitting overnight because they'll be near dead by morning, but OH BOY! if I opened that lid I'd have my emails all updated and right there instead of having to wait 5 seconds! Totally worth the trade off! It's even more silly now that everything comes with a NVMe SSD and can resume from hibernate in <15 seconds, let alone S3.

Same with the fetishisation of thinness: sacrificing everything on that alter is how we ended up with the terrible current MacBook keyboards and often highly compromised thermal management systems.

At least Athena is trying to put some stricture to the battery life claims, instead of letting everyone inflate their numbers by a factor of 2-3 by quoting hilariously unrealistic usage scenarios.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing is, long standby and instant resume don't have to be mutually exclusive. ChromeOS can do it easily. I can leave my pixelbook for half a week and barely lose charge and it's ready to go as soon as I finish opening the lid.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Chromebooks do have much better battery life in general, but I don't think most of them do the equivalent of "connected standby" that Windows does, where it keeps the WiFi radio beaconing out every few minutes to download emails, files, and whatever the gently caress else it wants to.

I mean, I found my work laptop trying mightily to burn itself out of the laptop bag it was in one evening, because connected standby still lets Windows update run, so it was happily trying to update itself, and ended up blowing through 50% of its battery in about 30 minutes because it had to be running its fans at 100% to try to not melt itself.

So very, very stupid.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DrDork posted:

Chromebooks do have much better battery life in general, but I don't think most of them do the equivalent of "connected standby" that Windows does, where it keeps the WiFi radio beaconing out every few minutes to download emails, files, and whatever the gently caress else it wants to.

I mean, I found my work laptop trying mightily to burn itself out of the laptop bag it was in one evening, because connected standby still lets Windows update run, so it was happily trying to update itself, and ended up blowing through 50% of its battery in about 30 minutes because it had to be running its fans at 100% to try to not melt itself.

So very, very stupid.

tbh this post got me mad

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress everything about connected standby

If my laptop can't survive three days in sleep mode starting at 100% battery gently caress you

From 2001 through 2018 I never had a problem with sleeping for multiple days, suddenly new laptops can't survive through the night

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

gently caress everything about connected standby

If my laptop can't survive three days in sleep mode starting at 100% battery gently caress you

From 2001 through 2018 I never had a problem with sleeping for multiple days, suddenly new laptops can't survive through the night

It's one of the areas that Mac devices have a edge while Windows 10 laptops can drain like crazy overnight while in sleep mode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Too bad macbook keyboards gave me finger AIDS

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

etalian posted:

It's one of the areas that Mac devices have a edge while Windows 10 laptops can drain like crazy overnight while in sleep mode.

They don't have to, though. If you disable connected suspend / "modern sleep" or whatever bullshit they're calling it, and just go back to normal S3 sleep, it's just fine. But someone over at Microsoft apparently decided that it was more important to have all your email there THE MOMENT YOU OPEN THE LID--I mean, can you imagine a world where you have to wait 5 seconds for the network to reconnect? HORRIFYING. So now that's the default, and we should all just keep our laptops plugged in overnight or somesuch idiocy.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I thought about that some and while I travel for work both daily at a local level and nationally on planes , I imagine more people leave their poo poo plugged in most of the time rather than not. And thats why suspend is viewed at as something to come back from asap and not as a means of conservation.

That being said my work laptop (thankfully) seemed to work as I wanted it to out of the box.

I'd imagine that home users leave theirs plugged in even more tbh

Again ..not me, necessarily

There's no excuse for it to not be a simple toggle though. loving regedit for baseline functionality in 2019 jfc

eames
May 9, 2009

Re: G-Sync in that particular laptop, if the GPU really does 60fps 1080p ultra in the mentioned games then I’d argue that it will run most non-AAA games on lower settings at 60 fps for its useful lifespan. G-Sync is nearly useless at max refresh rate so I don’t view it is a huge loss. Obviously it’d be a different story with a 144Hz 1440p Panel...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

eames posted:

Re: G-Sync in that particular laptop, if the GPU really does 60fps 1080p ultra in the mentioned games then I’d argue that it will run most non-AAA games on lower settings at 60 fps for its useful lifespan. G-Sync is nearly useless at max refresh rate so I don’t view it is a huge loss. Obviously it’d be a different story with a 144Hz 1440p Panel...

1080p@60@ULTRAMAXXXX is stretching the abilities of the 1650 a good bit. I'd say more that it can do 1080p@60@med-high. With the next gen consoles likely dropping next year, we'll most likely see a bump in the complexity of AAA games to match, meaning a year from now you'll be targeting 1080p@60@low-med on AAA games. Which is still pretty impressive for a 13" ultrabook, but it will absolutely get solidly into the "GSync would be real nice here" range pretty quickly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The game mentioned that could sustain 1080p60 Ultra was Doom which is a 3 year old game now and is pretty well optimized.

Another point is that this is a 50w 1650 MAX-P not a MAX-Q, so that makes it different from most other 1650 notebooks.

Comments on it are funny though. "It's SOO EXPENSIVE."

As configured, the 1650 model is barely more expensive than a comparably equipped XPS 13 on amazon. Yeah, you can spend the same amount and get a 6 core i7 with RTX graphics and 144hz screen in a 15" chassis, but it's going to be a lot less portable and needs a proprietary charger. You don't buy premium 13" notebooks for performance per dollar, you buy them for build quality and portability.

I'm going to laugh if this outperforms the XPS15 in games out of the box and it just may. The processor isn't anywhere near as powerful as the one in the XPS15 but the the graphical performance may end up being higher.

One review I saw mention that they added 3 additional heatpipes over the outgoing model and the whole thing is half a mm thicker. So, they did more than swap out the mainboard into the same chassis.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 4, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to laugh if this outperforms the XPS15 in games out of the box and it just may. The processor isn't anywhere near as powerful as the one in the XPS15 but the the graphical performance may end up being higher.

One review I saw mention that they added 3 additional heatpipes over the outgoing model and the whole thing is half a mm thicker. So, they did more than swap out the mainboard into the same chassis.

It almost certainly will--the XPS 15 is not, and has never been, designed for gaming. The dGPU is in there more as an after thought than anything else, and while it's work well enough for its target audience, gaming performance has never really been a core competency for it. Razer, on the other hand, should know a bit more about how to get the system to perform well for gaming, albeit at an undoubted cost to battery life and weight, project Athena or no. Going quad-core instead of hex-core for the CPU is unlikely to provide a meaningful bottleneck in current games, to be honest. Maybe in the future, but for now 4 cores still does plenty fine if you're just gaming, and not gaming + streaming + whatever the hell else.

As for price, it is kinda crappy that the 1650 model starts at $1,800, but that's not that much of a price premium, and they are providing what is (for now) a unique product.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

That's actually what I was speculating/wondering about though: the gen11 igpu in ice lake supports vesa adaptive sync. Optimus doesn't work with gsync because to do optimus you have to pass the dgpu frame through the igpu - now that the igpu can do vrr would optimus and gsync or adaptive sync (since nvidia does adaptive sync now as well) be possible with optimus rather than a hardware mux.

I'm aware the blade stealth doesn't have vrr this was more of a speculative question.
Laptop gsync isn't actually "gsync" with the hardware module, it's just bog standard adaptive refresh, anyway.

But I have no idea if you can still get that after passing through the igpu.

It would be great if you could! But would probably depend on Intel and Nvidia drivers supporting it together I suppose?

Re core count, for certain a 15w 4c will choke, say, BFV once it turbos down after hitting boost for time limit. The 1650 can get high details in BFV but that cpu will ensure drops below 60fps.

It already happens in my 7700hq in 64p maps.

But for games not cpu intensive, the stealth should definitely do well.

Doom is like one of the best optimized games ever. People got that poo poo running on the GPD Win 2 at 30fps lol.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 5, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know I played Doom on my i5 3570k with a GTX1080 at 4k on Ultra and didn't dip below 60fps. That game is so perfect in so many ways.

I wonder if you can bypass the TPU limit and hit 25w if you use an egpu and leave the 1650 idle.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why is Doom still the benchmark for so many gaming laptops. I put about 20 hours into that game and I think I'm done. It's a great game but it's 4 years old now.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is Doom still the benchmark for so many gaming laptops. I put about 20 hours into that game and I think I'm done. It's a great game but it's 4 years old now.

Bigger number is better.

Doom is so drat finessed and optimized that i think a Riva TNT 2 gets playable FPS, so it's a nice gradient of numbers everyone can feel OK about.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The game mentioned that could sustain 1080p60 Ultra was Doom which is a 3 year old game now and is pretty well optimized.

Someone managed to get it run on a old Voodoo 2 card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSIT18bOvg

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

etalian posted:

Someone managed to get it run on a old Voodoo 2 card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSIT18bOvg

That's Doom 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

DrDork posted:

As for price, it is kinda crappy that the 1650 model starts at $1,800, but that's not that much of a price premium, and they are providing what is (for now) a unique product.

Hopefully not for long because I am personally not even considering buying a Razer laptop based on everything I’ve seen and read about their build quality and support. This new stealth and that one Intel magnesium model gives me hope that we‘ll see some very decent units from other manufacturers next year.