Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Henry Black posted:

Yeah if you're a backbencher and want a seat you have to get up at 6am, write your name on a prayer card, and stick it in the little holders behind the seats. If you're just too lazy then you can sit on the steps. It is a system befitting a modern democracy in 2019.

https://twitter.com/houseofcommons/status/676326739941924864

Kind of glad we didnt inherit this system in Canada because Im not sure I could handle our parliament being any weirder/dumber.

e: What a lovely page snipe. Sorry guys. I hope these votes are going the right way for you all and things start to unfuck themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda wish they'd kept the old layout for parliament with the speaker in the middle of the room, but instead put the entire dais on bearings so bercow could wheel himself around when talking.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

feedmegin posted:

And the Speaker, if we're being technical

He'll bash your head in!

I guess most normies can't sit in the PMs seat either unless allowed to.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Re Skinners seat, the power that grants it to him is the threat of violence *schniff*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doccykins posted:

29 amendments put forward, up to the Speaker to decide which ones get voted on

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2017-2019/0433/amend/euwithdrawal6_daily_cwh_0904.pdf

any interesting ones likely to pass?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

I kinda wish they'd kept the old layout for parliament with the speaker in the middle of the room, but instead put the entire dais on bearings so bercow could wheel himself around when talking.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

PST posted:

From Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad

This deserved more attention

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
am i right to assume the gammons are in full meltdown rn

more than usually i mean

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If they have another vote on May's deal, this will be the fourth time right? Or the fifth?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually while you're at it just put a motorized turret ring on the speaker's chair and install one of those automated pitching machines loaded with ping pong balls.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Furnaceface posted:

Kind of glad we didnt inherit this system in Canada because Im not sure I could handle our parliament being any weirder/dumber.

e: What a lovely page snipe. Sorry guys. I hope these votes are going the right way for you all and things start to unfuck themselves.

You need to edit your post with a fact relating to the number 69 or else the Botherington falls precedence is in effect and the magpie proclamation will happen within 3 fortnights.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1169288019247063040?s=20

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I thought the rebels had the whip withdrawn and thus couldn't vote?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The chamber for the Commons was destroyed during the Blitz and plans were made to rebuild it as a larger semicircle with seats for all MPs like any other parliament in the world, but Churchill put his foot down and wanted it to be just like before.

notaspy posted:

Withdrawing the whip means "you are no longer a member of our bloc in the House of Commons".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

notaspy posted:

no? they're just kicked from the tory party

Thetobester
Jul 14, 2012
So how long do you reckon it'll take the tories to kick Boris out of the leadership? Surely, it'll be faster than Theresa at this rate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically you're not allowed to tell an MP how to vote to begin with, so the whip being withdrawn only makes it more democratic!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

notaspy posted:

Why would having the whip withdrawn stop them from voting?

MPs are employed as individuals, their relationship to their parties is a parallel but seperate thing. Getting the whip withdrawn makes them technically independents but they're still MPs with all the voting rights that come with that.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

notaspy posted:

Withdrawing the whip doesn't stop them voting, it just kicks them out of the club.

They're still MPs, you need to really gently caress up to be removed as a sitting MP (which triggers a by-election to replace you).

Removing the right of MPs to vote is a big no no.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

lol

https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1169289307082940417

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can someone make Stephen Kinnock shut up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

marktheando posted:

whats he saying? someone should slap his head though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Time to sleep through another important vote!

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

marktheando posted:

Somebody get the 2017 exit poll in here.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

so that's 300 a piece with hoey and mann

e: lol he forgot about the CUKs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1169290886343200773

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

*spins around and around* PEEter BOOOoooOOOnnnEEE!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Well, that makes a ton of sense. Why nick your pinky as an example when you can shotgun your leg off instead

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

notaspy posted:

The big deal about the whip being withdrawn is you are out of the party and essentially going to lose your seat at the next election when your former party runs a new candidate against you (because people vote for parties not candidates).

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
I'm laughing at Kinnock's attempt to look statesman like with his new Ted Cruz beard

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So what now? How many more votes does the no-deal block need before it becomes True Law(tm)?

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
How come Ken Clarke is still sitting in the government benches?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose posted:

He thinks there should be a cross-party brexit deal, along the lines of what people were talking about when May was pretending to reach across to Labour

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Because the threats were empty.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Henry Black posted:

How come Ken Clarke is still sitting in the government benches?

The expelled members decided to just stay where they are and see what happens I guess.

I don't think there's anything other than convention dictating where people sit so they don't need to be part of the government to sit on that side.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

People keep posting this but it's pretending that the Lib Dems could ever be coaxed to not side with the Tories.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Doccykins posted:

e: lol he forgot about the CUKs

Hard to blame him; everyone else did too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If someone wrote a movie character who was a toff tory MP called Sir Bill Cash I'd call them a hack

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

So what now? How many more votes does the no-deal block need before it becomes True Law(tm)?

It would have to go through the weird place with really old people sitting on red benches, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

What's Patrick Marber up to now? How much can we as a thread get together to get him to follow Kinnock around dressed as Lieutenant Colonel Kojak Slaphead III and interrupt every single thing Kinnock says?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR1mdQrG26o