Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Doubtful, article says VA still has an appeal and will likely change the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

In a 5-4 Supreme Court decision, all veterans benefits are gone and you're being recalled to service

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nick Soapdish posted:

In a 5-4 Supreme Court decision, all veterans benefits are gone and you're being recalled to service

I can't wait to fight our enemies, the uh *checks notes* the entirety of NATO. Oh.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I can't wait to fight our enemies, the uh *checks notes* the entirety of NATO. Oh.
Puerto Rico.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

the marine corps's true enemies are countries that oppose the business interests of Chiquita

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the marine corps's true enemies are countries that oppose the business interests of Chiquita
Get with the times grandpa.

"YOU WILL PURCHASE HERBALIFE OR WE WILL KILL EVERY FIRST BORN CHILD SEMPER FI!!"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

wall money has to come from somewhere

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That Montgomery poo poo seems like such a scam that’s just archaic now

Like I get you can use it for uh...pilot school? And that’s about it? But in boot camp you don’t know any better and just throw them that money every month, which you don’t get until you exhaust your post 9/11, which not many do

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's cool, I'd go to pilot school for a laugh if nothing else

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I changed majors and exhausted my post 9/11 GI bill does that mean I can use the Montgomery GI bill?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I changed majors and exhausted my post 9/11 GI bill does that mean I can use the Montgomery GI bill?

I thought once you exhaust the 9/11 they just send you a check for $1,200, or it goes towards future tuition?

Pretty sure a buddy said he just got a check though. BUT, only when you exhaust your 9/11, which makes absolute sense

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can only convert your MGIB to Post 9/11, it's a one way, one time deal.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

You can try to switch to Voc Rehab if you have a VA disability rating of 20% or above (10 if you have a serious workplace hinderance). That gives you an automatic 12 month extension and the possibility of additional time if your case worker determines it is necessary

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You can try to switch to Voc Rehab if you have a VA disability rating of 20% or above (10 if you have a serious workplace hinderance). That gives you an automatic 12 month extension and the possibility of additional time if your case worker determines it is necessary

Yeah, that's basically what I did. I took this semester off because I'm a bit burnt out on school, and I was running out of GI Bill anyway. Think I'm down to a few months. So I jumped on the Voc Rehab bandwagon and they must've thought I was a mess because they said "yeah, you're approved until you are done with your degree". But normally and extra 12 months on top of your GI Bill is approved no problem at all. Just don't burn up your last day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don’t really get vocational rehab. I know it’s the new hotness. Can you use if you’re actively working, finished undergrad, etc?

or the way I’m interpreting it is that it’s sort of for struggling veterans to get some education and back on their feet...? Or the service disability has to directly hinder your ability to work? But sometimes y’all get like new laptops for your classes through it?

Like can a barely functioning adult with over 20% and undergrad finished use it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Wait they're still collecting the $1200 from incoming privates now? What the gently caress?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don’t really get vocational rehab. I know it’s the new hotness. Can you use if you’re actively working, finished undergrad, etc?

or the way I’m interpreting it is that it’s sort of for struggling veterans to get some education and back on their feet...? Or the service disability has to directly hinder your ability to work? But sometimes y’all get like new laptops for your classes through it?

Like can a barely functioning adult with over 20% and undergrad finished use it

It's designed to get you gainfully employed, so essentially if you can sell them on your plan which requires X training/degree to get Y job they can pay for it. I finished my bachelor's on Voc Rehab. I imagine it might be a struggle to get them to pay for a degree above undergrad, but it's probably not unheard of.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

GD_American posted:

Wait they're still collecting the $1200 from incoming privates now? What the gently caress?

ya probably and the person who just graduated boot camp and is waiting on orders who has been active duty for about two weeks helps you fill all that out

Like everyone else didn’t know better and just paid to play it safe, right? Guys?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, voc rehabs job is to get you back into the workforce. It can be used to sit a few weeks of courses to get some certs, trade school, or a degree.

You have to sell your plan, but it isn't a hard cell. After the initial intake they get you to put together some poo poo. Like what training you want to do, where you want to do it, and what jobs are currently on offer. It's a simple process.

There's a few things to work around though. Obviously you aren't getting earthmoving and a commercial drivers license if you have seizures. You're not getting a degree in pre medieval anime poetry analysis because there's no jobs for it.

And as long as you've got a single day left of post 911 benefits left you'll get paid at that rate for the duration of your voc rehab. Otherwise there's a base rate but unless you love in buttfuck Arkansas your post 911 is gonna be more.

There's other benefits and drawbacks but that's the general jive of it all.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Really awesome info, thanks.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2019/09/03/court-ruling-could-give-veterans-an-extra-year-of-gi-bill-benefits/

I think this was brought up elsewhere but does this mean that you can use 36 months Post 9/11 and then have 12 months of the MGIB afterward?

I'm going to laugh my rear end off in the Spring when I finish my Post 9-11 Bennie's and I get an email telling "NO WAIT HERES MORE FREE MONEY". (finishing an MS Civil Engineering currently).

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Since it's two different programs meant for different things, does this mean I can appeal to regain my 60% Post-9/11 GI Bill once I've exhausted my Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship Post-9/11 GI Bill bennies?

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I did it. I burned my post 9/11 GI Bill and got a bachelor's from a brick and mortar school without paying anything. I'm starting grad school next term online but the TPD discharge is paying that off apparently. They say I can even take a PhD with it if I want. What a crazy rear end benefit. They were quick to point out that our children get free school too. It's like a happy twilight zone.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

I did it. I burned my post 9/11 GI Bill and got a bachelor's from a brick and mortar school without paying anything. I'm starting grad school next term online but the TPD discharge is paying that off apparently. They say I can even take a PhD with it if I want. What a crazy rear end benefit. They were quick to point out that our children get free school too. It's like a happy twilight zone.
GI Bill life still seems too good to be true 2 years in. After all the bullshit endured on active to get here, I keep expecting the hammer to drop at some point.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gray Matter posted:

GI Bill life still seems too good to be true 2 years in. After all the bullshit endured on active to get here, I keep expecting the hammer to drop at some point.

Oh, I probably should have posted this here when it happened. Last spring term was the end of my benefits. When they expired, they dropped $17k in my account as some sort of 'kicker'. When I called the GI Bill people they said that it was a current thing going on to give vets that finished out their benefits a boost to continue on with their school or work. If any of you are sitting near the end you should maybe check if this applies to you and finish out your education benefits.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 10, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Oh, I probably should have posted this here when it happened. Last spring term was the end of my benefits. When they expired, they dropped $17k in my account as some sort of 'kicker'. When I called the GI Bill people they said that it was a current thing going on to give vets that finished out their benefits a boost to continue on with their school or work. If any of you are sitting near the end you should maybe check if this applies to you and finish out your education benefits.

Well, this would be welcome. I'm at 0 months, 0 days and staring down one last semester.

At least I'm getting that frigging $1200 back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdF_Vo4B6Ms

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I used the post-9/11 bill I believe to get a bachelors, how do I check if I have any time left and if I do can I use it to get a certification for IT work I do? Been looking at, like, CCNA classes or something.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya I’m definitely planning to exhaust mine. Might be a few years before I’m back in grad school.

You have 10 years from EAS to use it or has that changed? Or is it 10 years from discharge from the IRR

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I think they changed it so that GI Bill benefits never expire.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bird food bathtub posted:

I used the post-9/11 bill I believe to get a bachelors, how do I check if I have any time left and if I do can I use it to get a certification for IT work I do? Been looking at, like, CCNA classes or something.

there's a tool to check: https://www.va.gov/education/gi-bill/post-9-11/ch-33-benefit

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

I think they changed it so that GI Bill benefits never expire.

Only if you became eligible after a certain date which AFAIK was 2013 or 2014? Correct me if I'm wrong.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Flying_Crab posted:

Only if you became eligible after a certain date which AFAIK was 2013 or 2014? Correct me if I'm wrong.

quote:

Elimination of 15-year Limitation to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill Program

The law removes the time limitation for the use of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits for individuals whose last discharge or release from active duty is on or after January 1, 2013, children of deceased Servicemembers who first become entitled to Post-9/11 GI Bill program benefits on or after January 1, 2013, and all Fry spouses.

All others remain subject to the current 15-year time limitation for using their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.

It's basically a big gently caress you if you joined during the surge and did 5 years or less

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Okay so has anyone got any more info on this because I can't find poo poo on Google.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

that’s some arbitrary poo poo

“Oh now you want to pursue higher education? Sorry you waited too long tyfys”

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You'd still be eligible for voc rehab, assuming a VA rating.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

bird food bathtub posted:

You can use it for the certification tests but not study material/classes (unless part of a school curriculum). It is a reimbursement system so you (or somebody) would pay first and submit after taking the test.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hey if your going to school, do me a solid and maybe don't kill yourself b? The poo poo gets better man, esp after you're done with this poo poo show, and I don't wanna catch another email from school mourning the loss of one of you motherfuckers. Be friends to each other please, watch out for each other, and keep an eye out for anyone that drops off? Idk what else to say but we're down one where I'm at and I don't want anyone else joining him. gently caress that poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every few days, I log in to my account at the university I applied to to check my application status and it just says complete. I know they say it will take a few weeks, but dang stop stressin me.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

not caring here posted:

Okay so has anyone got any more info on this because I can't find poo poo on Google.

No, unfortunately. It took a lot longer on the phone to find someone that had a clue what had happened. The first couple transfers were very confused where that money came from. It was pretty bizarre and the other vets in my program were also dumbstruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

not caring here posted:

lol VA/GI Bill benefits in a nutshell