Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

that's a real good fuckin' card name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Mechanics article
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/throne-eldraine-mechanics-2019-09-04

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

Finally you can eat changelings

it's an artifact subtype rather than creature subtype so i dont think it will apply to changelings

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jen X posted:

Teferi is the best, though?

:agreed:

Looking forward to that one guy that can't count to 4 screaming and crying about more Teferi

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

evilweasel posted:

it's an artifact subtype rather than creature subtype so i dont think it will apply to changelings

The gingerbread man isnt an artifact creature ?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Pastry golem

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Adventure cards don't have their second type while in any other zone. If you cast the adventure half, you put the card in exile and then can cast the creature half at a later time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Warlock is the stupidest type because they already have enough stupid magician types they don't support enough.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
These have got to be the laziest set mechanics wotc has ever done

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Warlock is the stupidest type because they already have enough stupid magician types they don't support enough.

Mystic spellshaper warlock

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
These storybook cards just became an utterly loving miserable rules and memory issue.

Whatever your idea of someone being dumber than a box of rocks is; always assume Magic players are even dumber than that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

what were the set mechanics in Born of the Gods?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sampatrick posted:

Devoid ?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ya adventure seems hosed for rules stuff

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I'm so excited for more zendikar aesthetic. Give me more angular geometric basic lands

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

Mystic spellshaper warlock

Shaman Druid Cleric Monk Warlock.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Im interested in the monster world

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looking forward to fetches in the next Zendikar set, right on schedule for the shocks to rotate

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Hellsau posted:

what were the set mechanics in Born of the Gods?

The same as the ones from Theros but also Inspired and the other one

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

Tell us more about your threshold for "hard working" mechanics in Magic

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I didn't see the trailer for Eldraine get posted yet so here you go. It's much better than the last one we got.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

idk when its not literally investigate but worse or slightly different devotion or kicker with memory and gameplay issues

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Extremely looking forward to the MTGA auto tapper loving up adamant, constantly

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bootstraps -

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mikujin posted:

I didn't see the trailer for Eldraine get posted yet so here you go. It's much better than the last one we got.

I was skeptical of the chosen soundtrack at first, but it pays off by the end

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

like literally how can you look at these mechanics and not think they're lazy af?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Extremely looking forward to the MTGA auto tapper loving up adamant, constantly

Are there any in the precon Brawl decks? I bet they use the same interface as split cards/spectacle, at the very least.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

like literally how can you look at these mechanics and not think they're lazy af?

They work mandatory weekends and 12 hour days, ok.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mikujin posted:

Garruk is a dick

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Sampatrick posted:

Food rules you nerd

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The worst set to go on a diet

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

because we've played multiple magic the gathering sets with poo poo like Amass or Addendum or Afterlife?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

i assume it will be. but food is still an artifact subtype not creature type. dunno if they'll have it artifact - food creature or "counts as a Food" in the text box

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Adventure is fine. You cast it and if it resolves you exile it and put a counter on it to remind yourself you can cast it, easy enough., not sure what the memory issues here are supposed to be?

Adamant is a generic limited mechanic, sure whatever.

Food is good. It's exceptionally mediocre on its own, but they've already shown a bunch of cards that interact with it so I'm sure that'll be good.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

Uh Adventure is something they haven't done before, and Food is tweaking an already existing mechanic that worked well, which is a tried and true formula for the game.

Delve, Manifest, and Energy were all brand new "non-lazy" mechanics and they all sucked poo poo. It turns out that the amount of "effort" put into a mechanic has no relation to how good or fun it is.

You know what the least lazy mechanics of all time were? Banding and Rampage. poo poo, maybe I need to rethink my views about complex mechanics being "good"

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 4, 2019

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Sampatrick has bad opinions? Oh, mercy me!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There always seemed to be a rule of thumb in the past where every block got at least one major "innovation" mechanic (equipment, sagas, Tribal, etc), and a few supplemental mechanics, not to mention mechanics got carried over between sets in the block. As this is the first set fully developed under the "3+1 rule" I wonder if we're seeing them wanting to ration mechanics between sets that are so creatively different.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

What does lazy even mean in this context? Uncomplicated? Leading to boring play? "Easy to have come up with"?

Like, if the set drafts well who cares?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

evilweasel posted:

i assume it will be. but food is still an artifact subtype not creature type. dunno if they'll have it artifact - food creature or "counts as a Food" in the text box

IIRC subtypes are always presented in the same order as types; Dryad Arbor is a Land Creature - Forest Dryad, for instance. So Gingerbrute will be an Artifact Creature - Food Golem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I found an old box in my house and it had some artwork I did when I was around 8 years old. :3: