Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you need to earn 5 points over the event and genius and gamemaster get you like two each. and then it's a 50/50 to lose two points or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

you need to earn 5 points over the event and genius and gamemaster get you like two each. and then it's a 50/50 to lose two points or something

If you invite them home, that's also a point.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm wanting to try out some of the worst starting positions in the game for kicks. Can people recommend some particular stinkers? Know there's some terrible ones in the 769 start date.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm wanting to try out some of the worst starting positions in the game for kicks. Can people recommend some particular stinkers? Know there's some terrible ones in the 769 start date.

That one Zoroastrian start right next to the all the Islamic countries in 867 can be pretty loving rough

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gotland. You're on an island — you can cross the water to the mainland but with a time penalty — and you can only move off it in one direction. You're perfectly positioned for a lot of boating, but you have no boats. It has some development potential, but you start out with few holdings. You a single-county duchy with no de jure rights to anything. It's so bad it even has its own achievement if you manage to build anything from it.

There are a couple more spots kind of like it, such as Anglesey and Wihtwara, but they generally belong to something bigger that you can worm your way into, making it easer and more worth-while to take stuff over.

Later start dates usually improve matters, but as a 769 start it's just horribleness all the way through.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Thanks for those recommendations, but I've already gotten the Gotland and Zoroastrian achievements :v:

Might try Anglesey though, sounds neat.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Thanks for those recommendations, but I've already gotten the Gotland and Zoroastrian achievements :v:

Might try Anglesey though, sounds neat.

Southern France in Gascogne or Toulouse, especially as a Count instead of the Duke, might well be your cup of tea. You're positioned to get rolled by the Umayyids, and the various Francias are poised to and usually implode before they get their act together a century or two too late to save you. The knotted Karling tree really works against you because they're all too busy loving each other metaphorically, feudally, and literally to stand against the blob.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hmm i think you mean saved by allah's light by the umayyids

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well my vassals and I have managed to eliminate every Muslim independent, and there's about eighty years left. The Aztecs have come and gone and the Mongols converted. So I'm wondering what's left to do - I'm not in the mind for something too radical, but I'd like something to work towards.

(also is there a bug where bloodlines just fall off? I created the Alexander bloodline, but it seems to have disappeared on my main family).

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Pick a fight with china and surrender.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeeeeeep playing chess with death has a pretty low chance of success. If you do win though the reward isn't too awful bad: a permanent boost to that ruler's health.

Interestingly, just the other week I had a character who won the game of chess - and he SEEMED to lose his health bonus in exchange for continued life. My memory might be slightly fuzzy on this, but I think he was wounded at the time, caught a bad disease and had a bad treatment.
Then I got some event that was basically like "you're suddenly better, but lose your second chance/health bonus". I've never had that before, so it was interesting to see - since I'm sure he would've died from the disease if that hadn't happened, as he was also fairly old.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

Interestingly, just the other week I had a character who won the game of chess - and he SEEMED to lose his health bonus in exchange for continued life. My memory might be slightly fuzzy on this, but I think he was wounded at the time, caught a bad disease and had a bad treatment.
Then I got some event that was basically like "you're suddenly better, but lose your second chance/health bonus". I've never had that before, so it was interesting to see - since I'm sure he would've died from the disease if that hadn't happened, as he was also fairly old.

I think when that happens basically what it means is that the game actually did roll for you to die from it, but instead of dying it consumes the bonus from the event.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think when that happens basically what it means is that the game actually did roll for you to die from it, but instead of dying it consumes the bonus from the event.

Ah nice! That's interesting, then. I wonder what circumstances it fires under? Obviously not for a duel/fight (SURELY not) but I wonder if it would help with avoiding death in certain events like the dreaded "you've fallen down some stairs while drunk" event, if you decide against calling for help.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Never knew the death chess bonus could work like a get out of burial free card. That's cool.

winterwerefox posted:

Pick a fight with china and surrender.

:stare:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

Gotland. You're on an island — you can cross the water to the mainland but with a time penalty — and you can only move off it in one direction. You're perfectly positioned for a lot of boating, but you have no boats. It has some development potential, but you start out with few holdings. You a single-county duchy with no de jure rights to anything. It's so bad it even has its own achievement if you manage to build anything from it.

There are a couple more spots kind of like it, such as Anglesey and Wihtwara, but they generally belong to something bigger that you can worm your way into, making it easer and more worth-while to take stuff over.

Later start dates usually improve matters, but as a 769 start it's just horribleness all the way through.

For Gotland can't you just swear fealty to the first Viking King that shows up then embark on a career of being That Vassal?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How do you check a character's history? I'm trying to figure out how the King of Hungary got some of my counties even though I had inheritance controls enacted.

Also I'd like recommendations on what I should do for my next start. A few things I would like to learn:
-Nomads. I eventually want to do a Khazar run but where would be a good place to learn their mechanics?
-A vassal start, either in or out of the HRE.
-A good spot to learn how to be a Viking.

EDIT: There isn't an SA discord channel for CK2, is there?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 3, 2019

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

My easy Viking start is the Ytra family of Hordaland in 769. If you start with good martial, you can immediately take a neighboring county and snowball into forming your duchy. From there, you can do whatever you want while you wait for the Viking Age to start. None of the other big Germanic powers are keen on taking Norway, so they’ll usually leave you alone, and the Christians are too far away to worry about.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

How do you check a character's history? I'm trying to figure out how the King of Hungary got some of my counties even though I had inheritance controls enacted.

If you click on the county shield that brings up the info screen for the title. That has a 'History' button that gets you the current and past owners of the title and how they got it. Also check that the counties in question were in your de jure territory and not somebody else's (crown laws only affect the title's de jure territory)

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Can someone help me understand the game mechanics behind this:

When the Byzantine Emperor title gets passed on, the duchy of thrace always goes with it, so the emperor is always in constantinople, while any other lands and titles they have are subject to their own succession

When the HRE title gets passed on, the new emperor rules from wherever his personal realm is, there is no actual imperial capital or "crown lands" that go with the emperor title

Also, when I was playing my scandinavian empire game, I went feudal elective, and I was able to govern my next highest level title (Kingdom of Sweden) laws separately from the imperial title, so I guess that works more like the HRE system

How is the duchy of thrace "attached" to the emperor title like that? Is this imperial capital thing just hardcoded into the imperial government or something?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Technowolf posted:

If you click on the county shield that brings up the info screen for the title. That has a 'History' button that gets you the current and past owners of the title and how they got it. Also check that the counties in question were in your de jure territory and not somebody else's (crown laws only affect the title's de jure territory)

Does it matter if you're primary title is Empire? I formed Outremmer but I noticed that I can have separate Crown laws for Outremmer and Jerusalem. Since I handed out the other kingdom level titles to manage my vassal limits I think they're laws might be different.

EDIT: What are some tips on recruiting for a secret society? Specifically the Old Christians?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 3, 2019

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Is there any reason to create a second empire? It seems like all it would do is create succession headaches and if you have the territory to create it all the stuff under it will de jure drift into your current empire soon enough. I guess if you're roleplaying someone who wants to split their territory for their children.

When you reform paganism some lands convert right away, others stay unreformed. Is it random which ones flip? How long does it take for the unreformed to convert to reformed if the rulers are reformed? Does it depend on the rulers or just luck?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

Also I'd like recommendations on what I should do for my next start. A few things I would like to learn:
-Nomads. I eventually want to do a Khazar run but where would be a good place to learn their mechanics?
-A vassal start, either in or out of the HRE.
-A good spot to learn how to be a Viking.

EDIT: There isn't an SA discord channel for CK2, is there?

-Khazars are good in any start they're available, or you could do Cumans in one of the later starts
-Matilda of Tuscany in 1066
-Sviţjod in either 769 or 867

https://discord.gg/0Xj0w8YosFujejqw is the goon mapgame discord, althouh CK2 chat is kinda slow

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 4, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is there any reason to create a second empire? It seems like all it would do is create succession headaches and if you have the territory to create it all the stuff under it will de jure drift into your current empire soon enough. I guess if you're roleplaying someone who wants to split their territory for their children.

When you reform paganism some lands convert right away, others stay unreformed. Is it random which ones flip? How long does it take for the unreformed to convert to reformed if the rulers are reformed? Does it depend on the rulers or just luck?

You get more prestige the more titles you have directly or serving you. That may or may not be something you care about; it can just be a high score sort of thing. The roleplaying the split up is another thing but you also get de jure claims for stuff that "should" be under you. I'm reasonably certain that you can press de jure claims for stuff that is de jure part of your empire titles just like you can duchy or kingdom titles.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Hardest run in the game: getting a Wallachian state up and running a thousand years early

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You get more prestige the more titles you have directly or serving you. That may or may not be something you care about; it can just be a high score sort of thing. The roleplaying the split up is another thing but you also get de jure claims for stuff that "should" be under. I'm reasonably certain that you can press de jure claims for stuff that is de jure part of your empire titles just like you can duchy or kingdom titles.
Yeah I forgot about the de jure claims. It does work with empires. I didn't think of it because it doesn't apply to the empire the game is offering me, I already have claims on the pieces I don't have.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I see there are rules for reforming pagan religions, but can this also be done with Abrahamic relgions?

Specifically, I'm pretty certain my heiress is secretly Sunni, as are a lot of my other subjects. Could I create my own branch of Islam just on account of controlling all their holy sites?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

No. But you could convert to one of the less popular branches like Ibadi or a heresy and become the Caliph of that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Various Meat Products posted:

No. But you could convert to one of the less popular branches like Ibadi or a heresy and become the Caliph of that.

How would I do that? Let's presume that my character's religion is still secret. Do I have to proclaim my faith first?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No. You can't do it for Hinduism, Bhuddism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, or Taoism either. The idea is that reforming creates the the stability of the "big boy" religions rather than just a bunch of disorganized worship.

I think leaving Zoroastrianism without any reform mechanics is a bit of a mistake, since a little before the rise of Islam, Zoroastrianism was going through a bit of a reform with the translation of the Avesta and other reforms, but the Islamic takeover of the region shattered most of the Zoroastrian infrastructure and much of the Avesta was lost. There really should be some mechanic to model how much of a change it would be for Zoroastrianism to come back to prominence. Maybe something like what Judaism gets, or even just folding Zoroastrianism into Islam as a heresy like they did with more minor middle eastern pagan religions so that there could be a big moment when Sunni gets supplanted.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

A create your own heresy for the major religions would be a lot of fun. Just rework some of the reformation beliefs and the penalties of being a heresy in a sea of your primary religion is a nice challenge.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm still not sure how I would go about converting to a heresy. Especially for a secret religion.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

super fart shooter posted:

How is the duchy of thrace "attached" to the emperor title like that? Is this imperial capital thing just hardcoded into the imperial government or something?

I believe it is hardcoded, which makes some sense. There was never really a single Imperial capital of the HRE, whereas the ERE as an extension of the Roman Empire, had Constantinople as its capital from the outset. By the time we reach the time period covered in the game, Constantinople had become an important symbol connecting the Byzantine Empire with its Roman past. You could almost say that, like the pope, the Byzantine emperors ruled the empire in virtue of the fact that the seat of their power was Constantinople. Almost.

Edit.

I suddenly had flashbacks to EU4 and the gymnastics it takes to get some of the states into the HRE.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 4, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got the Sly bloodline. That flavor text :allears:

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm still not sure how I would go about converting to a heresy. Especially for a secret religion.

It's not hard. If you can, just marry someone from the religion at which point you can convert as an interaction. If that's not possible for whatever reason, just start inviting people of the religion to court and you'll get the opportunity by event eventually. You may need to renounce your secret religion first, I'm not sure about that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is there any real drawback to going whole ham tyrant and revoking titles if your ruler is going to die soon anyway. need to restructure some stuff

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

oddium posted:

is there any real drawback to going whole ham tyrant and revoking titles if your ruler is going to die soon anyway. need to restructure some stuff

These days there's a malus for your next ruler, from memory - depending on how much they hated the previous ruler. I'm not sure if that's the case for all succession types, however - since it might only be for primo/ultimo succession

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

There's a definite art to revoking vassal titles while provoking minimum outrage. One thing that's critical is having a high skill spymaster who is loyal, that way you can catch those fuckers whenever they start a plot. If you've got someone under you who's especially obnoxious, you can give/revoke an honorary title until they have -100 opinion and then wait until they plot to kill you, then use an incompetent Marshall to try (and hopefully fail) to arrest them. Then you get to revoke a title after they revolt, maybe more. The tyranny penalty from unjustified revokes only lasts 5 years.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Various Meat Products posted:

There's a definite art to revoking vassal titles while provoking minimum outrage. One thing that's critical is having a high skill spymaster who is loyal, that way you can catch those fuckers whenever they start a plot. If you've got someone under you who's especially obnoxious, you can give/revoke an honorary title until they have -100 opinion and then wait until they plot to kill you, then use an incompetent Marshall to try (and hopefully fail) to arrest them. Then you get to revoke a title after they revolt, maybe more. The tyranny penalty from unjustified revokes only lasts 5 years.

One thing people should keep in mind though, is that this won't work very well if you have the "auto-stop plots" box checked in the intrigue tab. Since otherwise the plots will end right away, (therefore eliminating your arrest justification) unless the person hates you enough to refuse to stop plotting

EDIT: Also, speaking of the "giving+revoking honourary titles" method; does this work for the Court Jester title? Since that's the one that gives negative relations when granted, right? Do they still receive a malus when you revoke it, though? Since surely they'd be happy to no longer be the court fool! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 5, 2019

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

These days there's a malus for your next ruler, from memory - depending on how much they hated the previous ruler. I'm not sure if that's the case for all succession types, however - since it might only be for primo/ultimo succession

This doesn't really matter, however, if your ruler manages to replace all or most of their direct vassals with pliant yesmen. I kind of feel like if you're going to get tyrannical, there's no point dipping your toes in. Just jump and see if you can restructure the realm completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Going full tyrannical is in fact so efficient that it makes the game kind of boring.