Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Shadow225 posted:

in addition to the cool tables posted on the page, i wanted to say that your chairs look v comfy

I annoyed people in our discord and my friends in our hangouts chat for months looking for the perfect chairs. Ended up with 'captains chairs', since I wanted something with padded seats, padded backs and arms, light enough to move around and low enough to not block views around the room when not in use.

https://www.houzz.com/products/boss-refined-rustic-accent-chair-slate-gray-commercial-grade-linen-prvw-vr~90941385

But yeah, they're comfy.

My previous ones were metal bar stools with thin seats and low backs with no arms, and they were hell after several hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Tapestry review embargo is up (as preorders go live, wow!) and even the smiley gladhands at MvM didn’t give it their “MvM recommends” lol. Of course Rahdo says it might be a top ten game for him but how many times a week does that happen?

Note: I didn’t actually watch either of them and don’t recommend you do either, just seeing the buzz around social media.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kerro posted:

I made a convertible gaming table so that my wife and I can leave games set up and not have to worry about pesky toddlers!

Nice! A table you can leave games set up on is really sweet.

E: and yes pool tables are absolutely not designed to be sat at or around with chairs and it absolutely shows if you try. :psyduck: If one must attempt it, try before you buy for sure.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 4, 2019

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

yeah barstools sound so painful. the upgrade seems to have served you much better!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chairs are the unsung heroes of board gaming. We all like to talk about our pimped out tables but if you expect me to sit on a slab of wood for 8 hours I'm out.

I was at a pizza joint last week with reclining stools that were unbelievably comfy. They were basically high chairs with a back but the spring somehow gave enough resistance to casually lean back at the perfect angel without feeling like you'd tip over. I wish I looked for a label or something because drat they were nice.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 4, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Good interview with Tom of Holland, didn't see it posted https://www.punchboardmedia.com/hom...V0uFATbe7IIq9G0

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

StashAugustine posted:

Good interview with Tom of Holland, didn't see it posted https://www.punchboardmedia.com/hom...V0uFATbe7IIq9G0

Definitely was confused as to why there'd be an interview with the guy who played Spider-man.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Morpheus posted:

Definitely was confused as to why there'd be an interview with the guy who played Spider-man.

Confusingly theres also a Tom Holland who writes about classical history

E: vvv :thejoke:

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 4, 2019

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I was confused about the namesake from Finland.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Some Numbers posted:

How hard/expensive was the DIY on this? I’ve been thinking about buying something like this, but if I can make one for cheaper...

It's reasonably involved unfortunately. You can often get away with making smaller items with minimal tools but once you're working with larger pieces of wood you really need all the stuff like table saws, power sanders, sash clamps etc to put it together.

It's not a complicated project though - the hardest part was actually finding ways to clamp the table top since it's 2m long which is longer than any of my clamps so I had to improvise a bit.

Also if you didn't care about making it convertible, the gaming table part itself is pretty straightforward if you have access to a table saw a cordless drill and a biscuit jointer (and even that you could probably skip and just use dowel).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My preference for boardgaming is to sit on a kitchen-style stool which is the same height as the table. I do most of my home gaming on a folding plastic table which I can store away when I'm not using it. I'm thinking about making a topper for it just to make it into a slightly nicer surface.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Great quote about meltwater in there!

quote:

Then you have something like Erin Lee Escobedo's Meltwater, which definitely has hexes and counters, and very direct conflict, but doesn't feel like a hex and counter game in any traditional sense. It plays more like a combinatorial abstract! It's a very smart and innovative design that I admire very much; it has a clearly-expressed point of view and purpose, and people have really responded to that. It's become one of our flagship titles, alongside Cole Wehrle's An Infamous Traffic.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I got my playmat from the Overpowered game mat kickstarter, and it is extremely excellent. I have a huge round table that is super hard to find playmats for and they were the only people who made one big enough from my table. Super high quality print too. If you had a really huge table I would give them a look.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kerro posted:

I made a convertible gaming table so that my wife and I can leave games set up and not have to worry about pesky toddlers!

How does this protect against toddlers?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I can leave a game set up on the recessed surface and then put the wooden top over it so it is sealed away from prying hands until we're ready to play again 🙂

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kerro posted:

I can leave a game set up on the recessed surface and then put the wooden top over it so it is sealed away from prying hands until we're ready to play again 🙂

Ah, I missed that the top gave that sort of clearance. Clever.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

Tapestry review embargo is up (as preorders go live, wow!) and even the smiley gladhands at MvM didn’t give it their “MvM recommends” lol. Of course Rahdo says it might be a top ten game for him but how many times a week does that happen?

Note: I didn’t actually watch either of them and don’t recommend you do either, just seeing the buzz around social media.

A stonemeier game is highly mediocre? I am shocked. Shocked I say.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On the other hand it’s also being unfairly maligned on BGG. Lots of review bombs from people who openly admit they’re doing it because they hate Jamey or hate that it’s being called a civ game in the same way nerds get upset about COIN being called a wargame.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
People are also real mad that there was a review embargo that lifted right as preorders went on sale. Because how dare Jamey sell a thing before we can find out if it's good or not. Nevermind that it'll be in retail in a few months and you'll have plenty of time until then if you're on the fence.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it was a videogame it'd be embargoed all through the preorder period and the embargo would only be lifted a couple of days before the first shipments arrived

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mind you it makes sense to me that there should be some restrictions on reviewing a game that hasn't had general release and that people haven't actually played when people seem to be gearing up to review bomb it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jabor posted:

If it was a videogame it'd be embargoed all through the preorder period and the embargo would only be lifted a couple of days before the first shipments arrived

I think that is part of why people are so angry about review embargos making there way into this hobby, yeah.

Frozen Peach posted:

People are also real mad that there was a review embargo that lifted right as preorders went on sale. Because how dare Jamey sell a thing before we can find out if it's good or not. Nevermind that it'll be in retail in a few months and you'll have plenty of time until then if you're on the fence.

Yeah but he's also pushing this preorder very hard based on a discount and after Wingspan supply shortages I've seen a lot of people saying they're buying it despite the only "reviews" being from semi-promo/hype channels. I know online retailers will have it cheaper and the print run is 25k, but many other consumers interested in the game do not.

CommonShore posted:

Mind you it makes sense to me that there should be some restrictions on reviewing a game that hasn't had general release and that people haven't actually played when people seem to be gearing up to review bomb it.

Every big game has this happen on BGG, no matter the release channel.

Tapestry might be a fine game, but Jamey sucks and I'm tired of his marketing method of always finding new ways to spin up hype over controversial drama he stirs up himself.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 5, 2019

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm really curious about Cooper Island but have been too tired this week to properly process the rulebook. Anyone gotten a bead on it yet?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'm starting a 'best Pandemic' contest at work. We play every week, and just finished both Seasons of Legacy. Co-workers want more Pandemic, so between my collection, a local game library, and borrowing from friends, I've compiled a list of 35 variants of Pandemic, or games that have Pandemic in the title. So Pandemic Contagion counts even though it is very different than Vanilla Pandemic. I gave the expansions two or three variants each (Bioterrorist, Virulent Strain, Hinterlands, etc) and then through in games that follow the same structure (Flash Point, Black Orchestra, Forbidden Trilogy, Captain is Dead trilogy, Kings of Israel, etc). When games have expansions, I gave them an extra slot (flash point only has two shots despite having a million expansions). I've loosened the criteria somewhat to allow for Freedom Underground railroad and Hotshots. Gotta have some variety. I'll let you all know in many many months which is crowned king.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The only practical reason for a review embargo is because the game sucks. What other purpose could it serve? People had the game and were playing it so they could legitimately review it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you were trying to hide how bad it was why drop the embargo before most people have a chance to buy it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aramoro posted:

The only practical reason for a review embargo is because the game sucks. What other purpose could it serve? People had the game and were playing it so they could legitimately review it.

It builds hype. These channels were posting gameplay videos and talking about playing it but without being able to offer analysis it is pure marketing for them and Stonemaier. Anti-consumer hype though, and it’s especially egregious when it’s from someone with a rabidly loyal fan base that will probably love the game and be very happy with it without all that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you were trying to hide how bad it was why drop the embargo before most people have a chance to buy it?

It dropped as preorders went live with people F5ing to get in and the people that were provided the game were carefully selected to be the most milquetoast “reviewers” and would present the game in a certain light. They have a vested interest in not being negative or they won’t get an early copy the next time, and being in on a Stonemaier early copy is big for their views.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 5, 2019

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I'm a hater but i can't deny that jamie is genius at marketing.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Memnaelar posted:

I'm really curious about Cooper Island but have been too tired this week to properly process the rulebook. Anyone gotten a bead on it yet?

Is it out yet? Got told that the rule book should be out this week but I didn't see it yet.

Also really interested in Cooper Island and if the rule book seems good then I might preorder it for Essen Spiel.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
He also, in an industry that isn't particularly innovative in some ways (like marketing and publishing), seems unafraid to openly try different things and talk about them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Do we need innovations in marketing? Do we not in fact hate them?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

He also, in an industry that isn't particularly innovative in some ways (like marketing and publishing), seems unafraid to openly try different things and talk about them.

Ah yes building hype about a mediocre game to make sure lots of people buy it on pre-orders. That's the innovation we're looking for in boardgaming.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That'll be "what is Kickstarter", Alex.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Ah yes building hype about a mediocre game to make sure lots of people buy it on pre-orders. That's the innovation we're looking for in boardgaming.
I wish some companies would put more effort into marketing

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
(The joke is that it's a carp on the cover. german humor.)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a Jamey fan girl, and I have no problem admitting that the review embargo is fuel for the hype train and serves no other purpose, but to apply malicious intent and review bomb because of it is just stupid.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Frozen Peach posted:

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a Jamey fan girl, and I have no problem admitting that the review embargo is fuel for the hype train and serves no other purpose, but to apply malicious intent and review bomb because of it is just stupid.

How can it be anything other than malicious? People had the game but weren't allowed to review it?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One thing a review embargo does is ensure that reviews all "drop" at the same time, which creates a splash and therefore more attention (it's something that gets noticed by news feeds and junk, too.) It's desirable from a marketing standpoint to have the first batch of reviews come out all at once, instead of piecemeal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Eyes Have It posted:

One thing a review embargo does is ensure that reviews all "drop" at the same time, which creates a splash and therefore more attention (it's something that gets noticed by news feeds and junk, too.) It's desirable from a marketing standpoint to have the first batch of reviews come out all at once, instead of piecemeal.

this also ties into what i consider the only non-bad reason, that it creates less pressure for reviewers and critics to be "first to market" and instead lets them put together content at a sane pace since having your video/etc out first is a huge boon.

that's just theory though i have no clue if that actually translates to better, more thorough and leveled reviews and its entirely possible it does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It builds hype. These channels were posting gameplay videos and talking about playing it but without being able to offer analysis it is pure marketing for them and Stonemaier. Anti-consumer hype though, and it’s especially egregious when it’s from someone with a rabidly loyal fan base that will probably love the game and be very happy with it without all that.

It dropped as preorders went live with people F5ing to get in and the people that were provided the game were carefully selected to be the most milquetoast “reviewers” and would present the game in a certain light. They have a vested interest in not being negative or they won’t get an early copy the next time, and being in on a Stonemaier early copy is big for their views.

I don't really buy this at all, in so far as all board game reviewers are milquetoast but also that if it's a marketing campaign you're not going to blacklist people who actually bring in the views.

The problem is the review process. For various reasons board game journalism isn't a thing that exists, BGG ratings are pointless since anyone can rate a game, and even SA thread approved people like SVWAG by their own admittance aren't interested in formal reviews.

Countblanc posted:

this also ties into what i consider the only non-bad reason, that it creates less pressure for reviewers and critics to be "first to market" and instead lets them put together content at a sane pace since having your video/etc out first is a huge boon.

that's just theory though i have no clue if that actually translates to better, more thorough and leveled reviews and its entirely possible it does not.

Yes, board games are unique from every other medium in that it's entirely self taught. There's not only a rush among reviewers to be first, reviewers sometimes actively get things wrong in a rush to be first. We often complain about one-and-done reviews because on a reviewer's end all they care about are page hits. That's not saying it won't happen with embargoes but if I were a board game publisher I would rather a reviewer sit on the review for 2 weeks and hope they refine it over time than copy my loving press release word for word with excerpts from the manual you directly quote.