Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why would you NOT buy an SV400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why would you NOT buy an SV400

Cause they have all the downsides of an SV and almost none of the upsides?

Literally the only thing they're good for is donating the bottom end to make a frankesv race bike engine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess maybe if you’re in an area of the world where an SV400 isn’t a crazy rare and unique gem like it would be in the US

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

From what I've seen they are identical outside of engine internals, carb jetting and they always have a black frame which I'll admit looks better than silver.

To ride they feel like a really peaky, really gutless SV. Like it would be fun chasing the revs if it made decent power and the chassis were tweaked to suit the different engine character.

There is nothing remotely special about them, just like you can get an er4-n or a gsr400 which are just sleeved down 650's otherwise identical to the donor bike. Heavy, underpowered turds built to exploit Japanese license laws, getting a new burst of popularity here because they fall squarely into "I want a 'big' bike but I don't have a full license" territory opened by the new license rules.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tim Raines IRL posted:

of course Enfield needs "another week" as parts trickle in piecemeal, and I'm still not convinced any of this is going to resolve the problem.

I think I'm going to have to go back for my trailer that I left there next week in any case, because I need it the following weekend to help someone move.

I am tempted to eat a $1000 loss or whatever as a learning experience I shouldn't have needed, and just have the dealership cash me out at whatever they will cash me out on the bike at, and buy an SV400 in the spring like I should have in the first place. We'll see.

I'm really sorry man. You couldn't have predicted this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

From what I've seen they are identical outside of engine internals, carb jetting and they always have a black frame which I'll admit looks better than silver.

To ride they feel like a really peaky, really gutless SV. Like it would be fun chasing the revs if it made decent power and the chassis were tweaked to suit the different engine character.

There is nothing remotely special about them, just like you can get an er4-n or a gsr400 which are just sleeved down 650's otherwise identical to the donor bike. Heavy, underpowered turds built to exploit Japanese license laws, getting a new burst of popularity here because they fall squarely into "I want a 'big' bike but I don't have a full license" territory opened by the new license rules.

If you really wanted an underpowered version of a 90s era 600/650 it'd be much easier to just get the more common 600/650cc bike and then slap a restrictor kit on it (which will be readily available because that's what the West got instead of a wash of 400cc bikes, because as you say licencing laws are different outside of Japan).

Eg my old zzr600 (which I was directed towards by these very forums over a zzr400, which I was looking at for the same reasons you mention) originally came from the shop with fuel flow restrictor that limited it to 50-60hp down from a claimed 100hp to make it A2 compliant.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ironically people pay me to do the opposite; stick normal sv ECU's into learner model gladius', derestrict learner Hyosung 650's etc.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I'm actually wondering how much longer we'll see Royal Enfield dealers in the US since we're pretty much in the midst of a recession (thanks, trump). Guessing by Tim Raines IRL's experience that the answer to that is "not long" being that motorcycles are considered toys here, and that nobody wants to buy garbage-tier toys.

It's kinda weird that a decent manufacturer like Hyosung or Sym doesn't try to make a simple, standard scrambler-style bike and market it as the "who-gives-a-gently caress-400", a super-cheap machine based on bog-standard Honda engine clones that you can chuck off a cliff and replace instead of wasting time on poo poo like oil changes. :v: Sounds like it would give the notoriously underpaid Millenial generations here a cheap bike they can pick up and learn to enjoy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

It's kinda weird that a decent manufacturer like Hyosung or Sym

Careful, New Zealand has had enough seismic activity as it is.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Careful, New Zealand has had enough seismic activity as it is.

Well, in comparison with Royal Enfield, isn’t a guy who ties a Predator Honda-clone to a broken sportster frame making a decent bike? :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

I'm actually wondering how much longer we'll see Royal Enfield dealers in the US since we're pretty much in the midst of a recession (thanks, trump). Guessing by Tim Raines IRL's experience that the answer to that is "not long" being that motorcycles are considered toys here, and that nobody wants to buy garbage-tier toys.

It's kinda weird that a decent manufacturer like Hyosung or Sym doesn't try to make a simple, standard scrambler-style bike and market it as the "who-gives-a-gently caress-400", a super-cheap machine based on bog-standard Honda engine clones that you can chuck off a cliff and replace instead of wasting time on poo poo like oil changes. :v: Sounds like it would give the notoriously underpaid Millenial generations here a cheap bike they can pick up and learn to enjoy.

They do.

They are cheap, have decent suspension and run a Honda xr derived engine.

No Chinese brand or enfield are anywhere near Hyosung quality though.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

They do.

They are cheap, have decent suspension and run a Honda xr derived engine.

No Chinese brand or enfield are anywhere near Hyosung quality though.

We don’t get that Sym in the US because our country is bullshit and we don’t get cool bikes until long after the rest of the world had them and got over it. We have the “Wolf CR300i” which looks like a CB300 and an ancient Ducati Monster has a regrettable one-night stand, and a “Wolf Classic 150” which actually looks kinda cool in an old-school townie-bike kinda way. $3,000 would get you a decent used small-bore bike, though.

I guess it’s just a bitch to get anything legalized on US roads so nobody brings any good stuff here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
The Wolf Classic 150 is cute but man are they ever tiny. Like they're probably 30% smaller than my CL350, even smaller than an old Rebel 250. Teeeeeeeny little bikes.

They look like they'd be great if you were cross-shopping scooters though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I'm really sorry man. You couldn't have predicted this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've got a triumph tiger 800 xrx rental reserved for this weekend, gonna dad-bike it up to the max baby. Going to check out a motorbike museum in Sorrento, BC, and take the long way back. Pretty exciting stuff!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Good morning y'all.

I'm having trouble selling my Motorcycle.

Am i over-priced?

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Harley-Davidson-STREET+750-5009371765

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/austin-2016-harley-davidson-street-750/6969075494.html
(Have it at a bit more on CL to have built in room to haggle)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Seems reasonable but I never mess with ads mentioning the seller’s wife because I assume it’s sign I’ll have to listen to a rant when I’d rather look at a bike.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Seems reasonable but I never mess with ads mentioning the seller’s wife because I assume it’s sign I’ll have to listen to a rant when I’d rather look at a bike.

I was trying to put a non-negative against the bike reason for selling it.

Because i don't want to say "now that im done with my learner bike, help me fund buying a good motorcycle".

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Bananana posted:

Because i don't want to say "now that im done with my learner bike, help me fund buying a good motorcycle".

I don’t think you need to list a reason for sale at all in the ad. The one time someone led with “why are you selling?” in response to a vehicle I was selling, I ignored it and never heard from them a second time. Other than to make conversation, I don’t think most people care.

I’m just a bit cynical after spending too much time on ADVRider where every time a wife (usually “the wife”) is mentioned, it’s immediately followed by a lot of bullshit about the dude’s relationship that I don’t want to hear and he shouldn’t be airing to strangers.

But to the point, and I don’t know much about HDs, it’s priced lower than much less desirable ones in my area.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Just don't put a reason for selling down, and if the buyer asks just say you're looking to upgrade or you've got your eye on whatever model.
Also take more+better pictures. Those look like "eh I guess here's a bike, so you can see the colour". Doesn't have to be art, just get some lower angle shots against an interesting backdrop, and maybe highlight something about the bike that you think looks cool.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put more details in the main listing. How many miles? What mods does it have (if none, say that). List some of the features of that particular model. Harley’s especially are confusing in that regard. Don’t make buyers google the bike.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

The Bananana posted:

I think it's a fine price for a Street 750, but while I'd agree that removing the wife bit (and maybe even adding the starter motorcycle bit) is a good idea, I think the trouble might be that it's a Street 750. Those typically don't sell well even with Harley boys, as they'd rather buy a Sportster as a first bike. Or, hell, a Road Glide.

But like Jim Silly-Balls said, drop in some manufacturer stats and info on any mods you've done (or not done), remove the wife line, and it'll sell eventually.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Shes got just 8000 miles.

Is that a pro or a con in motorcycles?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

The Bananana posted:

Shes got just 8000 miles.

Is that a pro or a con in motorcycles?

It's a normal amount of miles for the time you've owned it, I don't think anybody would blink at that. Bonus if you can show when it was serviced.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8000 miles is not an issue on that bike. I’d call it a selling point considering a lot of Harley’s rack up high mileage

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 4, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those photos are utter trash and are actively hurting your ability to attract buyers. You have to make some effort to actually sell the bike and make it seem appealing, I did a big effort post on this a while back but the tl;Dr is: you aren't selling a sensible vehicle to a rational person making an objective decision, you're selling the idea of fun to someone looking for something to brighten their life. You've gotta get them in the feels, make them think of sunny days, sitting at the cafe admiring their beast. lovely pictures of a grubby anonymous blob is only gonna attract fuckwits and lowballers.

E: here you go, looks like I was even directly talking to you!

Slavvy posted:

I have only ever sold bikes online and have literally never lost money even on the few where it looked like I'd crash and burn badly, so here's some serious advice on how to flick a shitter:

Pretty much everything hinges on the photos in your listing, your description and your pricing as these do the bulk of the work in filtering out the morons and attracting serious buyers. Take good pictures.

By good pictures I mean get a hold of a DSLR with a long distance/portrait lens or something similar so you can take a few really pretty magazine style shots with competent framing. Give the bike a super anal retentive clean beforehand, use favorable lighting conditions. Only take 3-4 pictures, a few really good pics works much much better than twenty lovely ones. A smart phone can work in a pinch but you have to be more creative with angles etc. Don't take pictures of tires, instruments, other close up bullshit; it's just more chances for people to spot imperfections. Your want pretty distance shots that look inviting and make people want to look at the bike in person. Keep the description brief, don't go into details, just explain the tax status etc and give a reason for selling that ISN'T 'want to upgrade' or anything else that implies you're at all unhappy with the bike.

When it comes to the actual sale, make sure the bike is clean and tires pumped up and just generally the best it can be from a rider's perspective. In dealing with the buyers, say NOTHING unless you're asked; let them talk themselves up to it on their own. Never say anything negative about the bike if you can, never talk price until they do first, be generous (within reason) about test rides. Most of the sale is in the mind of the buyer and you trying to persuade them will just make it harder.

Example of what I mean:

That bike is much, much shittier than your street 750, wouldn't survive a competent inspection from 10 feet away and definitely the most challenging bike I've ever tried to make a profit on. But I did, because the guy convinced himself it was his dream bike from the photos alone and the actual inspection was just a formality.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 4, 2019

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I hope I'm not the one one wondering what the heck those tubes on the tank are?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Air intakes. They're rad and stupid as hell

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Grab handles so it’s ADA compliant

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Those photos are utter trash and are actively hurting your ability to attract buyers. You have to make some effort to actually sell the bike and make it seem appealing, I did a big effort post on this a while back but the tl;Dr is: you aren't selling a sensible vehicle to a rational person making an objective decision, you're selling the idea of fun to someone looking for something to brighten their life. You've gotta get them in the feels, make them think of sunny days, sitting at the cafe admiring their beast. lovely pictures of a grubby anonymous blob is only gonna attract fuckwits and lowballers.

E: here you go, looks like I was even directly talking to you!

I remember your post!

I was trying to channel that, but uh...

Its certainly lacking. I'll admit it.

Ugh, alright, I'll get out and go take some photo shoot worthy GQ poo poo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Every time you post this pic I hear your lovely frankenbike calling to me.

It's a really good picture.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Redvenom posted:

Thank you thread for justify my petty moral outrage. This all came from being asked to get off my bike the last two times I've filled up (different petrol stations). That's on top of being requested to remove my helmet ever since I moved state at the beginning of the year.

Would a justifiable response be to go and buy some big jerry cans and a funnel so I can get fuel separately, then fill up at home? It's so immeasurably petty but it shits me so much.

Go gently caress yourself petrol stations, go gently caress yourself....

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If only there was some source of propulsive energy available directly out of the walls of our houses...

tjones
May 13, 2005

Redvenom posted:

Go gently caress yourself petrol stations, go gently caress yourself....

I like your style and sometimes do the same for non-ethanol high test, when I can get it --- but all that aside, if you're gonna buy gas in bulk to fill up later, you might as well get a can that holds more than a gallon at a time.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Germans had fuel containers sorted 80 years ago. :cmon:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Every time you post this pic I hear your lovely frankenbike calling to me.

It's a really good picture.

I swear I would never have sold that bike for anywhere near as much if it weren't for those photos promising so much more than you actually get.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Ola posted:

If only there was some source of propulsive energy available directly out of the walls of our houses...

I would totally buy one of these if they existed for less than a billion dollarydoos in this backwards country. Oh and if I didn't love my little DRZ so much.

tjones posted:

I like your style and sometimes do the same for non-ethanol high test, when I can get it --- but all that aside, if you're gonna buy gas in bulk to fill up later, you might as well get a can that holds more than a gallon at a time.

Totally agree in principle; this was a first pass and my tank doesn't take much more from empty than the 5L those hold each.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm a giant loving idiot. Should I get a Grom or a Monkey?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Skyarb posted:

Super Cub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skyarb posted:

Suzuki RV