Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Elsbeth rescue mission incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm hoping with the Dominaria stuff, Historic Knights is good

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Historic Knights sounds fun to play in Historic Brawl, a format that will not exist :(

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Zendikar Rising in Q4?

Why are we going back for a 3rd round so soon?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

Zendikar Rising in Q4?

everyone's agreed to pretend the second round didn't happen cause it sucked and was actually the second round of rise of the eldrazi, not of zendikar

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

vegetables posted:

Historic Knights sounds fun to play in Historic Brawl, a format that will not exist :(

Honestly, if WotC had just said that historic cards cost 2:1 wildcards for the first one you craft and the other 3 are 1:1 that would make more sense to me than just a flat 2:1.

It would mean that brawl won't cannibalise historic too much but sort of add a premium for playing Brawl.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
lol my opponent cast Single Combat while I had Korvold, Mayhem Devil, Orzhov Enforcer and another creature in play. They conceded when my triggers went on the stack.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Are BFZ/OGW the actual worst sets in modern? I think it's a case that could be made

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hades is cool, but I'd much rather be revisiting Tarkir than taking another trip to Zendikar.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

sit on my Facebook posted:

Are BFZ/OGW the actual worst sets in modern? I think it's a case that could be made

OGW is singlehandedly responsible for one of the top tier decks in the format. BFZ is probably the worst designed set since saviors though

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Depends on the metric you use I guess. Do you consider a set thats too broken or too weak to be worse?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

OGW is singlehandedly responsible for one of the top tier decks in the format. BFZ is probably the worst designed set since saviors though

In the same vein, Avacyn Restored is probably the worst limited set in Modern and is responsible for Miracles.

OGW does also probably have the weakest lore, being the highpoint of wow, the Jacetice League!, but at least it made draft better then 3x BFZ.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kalli posted:

In the same vein, Avacyn Restored is probably the worst limited set in Modern and is responsible for Miracles

Also Griselbrand

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AceClown posted:

Honestly, if WotC had just said that historic cards cost 2:1 wildcards for the first one you craft and the other 3 are 1:1 that would make more sense to me than just a flat 2:1.

It would mean that brawl won't cannibalise historic too much but sort of add a premium for playing Brawl.

I think that might genuinely be the best compromise plan I've seen anywhere. If they really have their heels dug in and don't want to change the ratios at all, I hope they at least extend the deadline beyond November.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

remember that a huge portion of modern’s power comes from ZEN-INN, a total of seven sets (plus cores). Worldwake alone had Stoneforge, JTMS, Amulet, allied manlands, eye of ugin, deaths shadow, searing blaze...

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dont forget New Phyrexia

Not even Scars of Mirrodin block, specifically New Phyrexia.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lair of the Behemoths should have no CMC's under 6 and everything should be a 7/7 or greater

The ultimate dream

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zendikar Rising in Q4?

It'll be four years old. The gap between Innistrad and Shadows was four and a half.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

remember that a huge portion of modern’s power comes from ZEN-INN, a total of seven sets (plus cores). Worldwake alone had Stoneforge, JTMS, Amulet, allied manlands, eye of ugin, deaths shadow, searing blaze...

A huge amount of weird stuff comes from 8th, 9th and Mirrodin as well. Without those you don't have Urza lands, Ensnaring Bridge, Arcbound Ravager, Chalice of the Void or Aether Vial. Even if those sets don't put in the most cards per se the format looks very different without them.

(also LOL Worldwake)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Modern's power comes from Core Set 2020Modern HorizonsWar of the SparkRavnica AllegianceGuilds of RavnicaCore Set 2019DominariaRivals of IxalanIxalanHour of DevastationAmonkhetAether RevoltKaladeshEldritch MoonShadows over InnistradOath of the GatewatchBattle for ZendikarMagic OriginsDragons of TarkirFate ReforgedKhans of TarkirMagic 2015Journey into NyxBorn of the GodsTherosMagic 2014Dragon's MazeGatecrashReturn to RavnicaMagic 2013Avacyn RestoredDark AscensionInnistrad
Magic 2012New PhyrexiaMirrodin BesiegedScars of MirrodinMagic 2011Rise of the EldraziWorldwakeZendikarMagic 2010 Alara Reborn Conflux Shards of Alara Eventide Shadowmoor MorningtideLorwyn Tenth EditionFuture SightPlanar ChaosTime SpiralColdsnapDissensionGuildpactRavnica: City of GuildsNinth EditionSaviors of KamigawaEighth EditionBetrayers of KamigawaChampions of KamigawaFifth DawnDarksteelMirrodin.

:effort:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

One piece at at time...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lair of the Behemoths should have no CMC's under 6 and everything should be a 7/7 or greater

The ultimate dream

The smaller creatures are just toes and fingers of the behemots

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Brawl being in Arena already is very exciting. And you can get a playset of 6 different cards for winning 6 games. 24 free cards is pretty sweet even if it's only just for making it more likely that opening packs gives you vault progress.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Modern's power comes from Core Set 2020Modern HorizonsWar of the SparkRavnica AllegianceGuilds of RavnicaCore Set 2019DominariaRivals of IxalanIxalanHour of DevastationAmonkhetAether RevoltKaladeshEldritch MoonShadows over InnistradOath of the GatewatchBattle for ZendikarMagic OriginsDragons of TarkirFate ReforgedKhans of TarkirMagic 2015Journey into NyxBorn of the GodsTherosMagic 2014Dragon's MazeGatecrashReturn to RavnicaMagic 2013Avacyn RestoredDark AscensionInnistrad
Magic 2012New PhyrexiaMirrodin BesiegedScars of MirrodinMagic 2011Rise of the EldraziWorldwakeZendikarMagic 2010 Alara Reborn Conflux Shards of Alara Eventide Shadowmoor MorningtideLorwyn Tenth EditionFuture SightPlanar ChaosTime SpiralColdsnapDissensionGuildpactRavnica: City of GuildsNinth EditionSaviors of KamigawaEighth EditionBetrayers of KamigawaChampions of KamigawaFifth DawnDarksteelMirrodin.

:effort:

When you think about it expansions are just core sets with kicker.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GimmickMan posted:

When you think about it expansions are just core sets with kicker.

That come in loot boxes

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gonna be upset if there isn't a bone splinters type card that sacrifices food to kill a creature and has a now you're GingerDEAD flavor text.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That trailer owns, except for garruk eating the gingerbread dude. Would've preferred it be a rando knight

set flavour looking great though. Hopefully we get a card that refers to spicing things up with flavour text that refers to flavour

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

They're pretty bad but I think the worst-designed sets in modern are bng, avr, sok, and dgm in no particular order

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Kurtofan posted:

The smaller creatures are just toes and fingers of the behemots

Parasites/symbiotes that live on the behemoths

mid-size creatures are monsters that attack the symbiote "towns" to eat them for food

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Because Adventuring and casting the creature all occurs at Sorcery speed, I actually don't think its going to be all that confusing.

The only surprise about the mechanic to me is that it happens in reverse order - I really thought the Adventure mechanic would open up once the creature was in play.

Regardless, looks like a lot of fun for limited

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mike N Eich posted:

The only surprise about the mechanic to me is that it happens in reverse order - I really thought the Adventure mechanic would open up once the creature was in play.

On reflection that'd be basically identical to a creature just having an activated ability

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

flatluigi posted:

On reflection that'd be basically identical to a creature just having an activated ability

Or it could get exiled, then recastable from exile so it doesn't go into the hand?
Like I summon a dude, send him off to get me a forest, then summon him back

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Yeah, I'm not sure how adventuring has memory issues like some people have said. Usually that's something you say about untracked mechanics that last longer than a turn, which adventuring is not.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
seriously though, there is a valid reason to complain about adventure memory issues being a pain in the rear end.

come on wizards, at least do something lazy like "exile it with an adventure counter on it."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ultimately it just means you keep your adventure pile separate from your other exile pile. I bet there will be little or no other exile in the set so it won't matter in limited

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Retromancer posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how adventuring has memory issues like some people have said. Usually that's something you say about untracked mechanics that last longer than a turn, which adventuring is not.
You don't have to cast the Adventuring Creature that turn though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mike N Eich posted:

Because Adventuring and casting the creature all occurs at Sorcery speed, I actually don't think its going to be all that confusing.

Regardless, looks like a lot of fun for limited

Unless I'm mistaken there are instant adventures as well

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Rinkles posted:

Hades is cool, but I'd much rather be revisiting Tarkir than taking another trip to Zendikar.

go back to Tarkir and the clans have figured out that the dragons are actually bullshit and are rising up against them.

seriously gently caress sarkhan and his dragon fetish, Tarkir and everyone who lived there was way better off without the loving shithead dragons

or Phyrexians have shown up and started compleating everything, including the dragons

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Ultimately it just means you keep your adventure pile separate from your other exile pile. I bet there will be little or no other exile in the set so it won't matter in limited

where, exactly, are you going to put your adventure exile cards so that they aren't in your graveyard or your regular exile cards? limited is one thing, but constructed is chock full of ways to exile stuff, and having to remember if this card was exiled as an adventure or due to another reason is just begging for a rules clusterfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

A big flaming stink posted:

where, exactly, are you going to put your adventure exile cards so that they aren't in your graveyard or your regular exile cards? limited is one thing, but constructed is chock full of ways to exile stuff, and having to remember if this card was exiled as an adventure or due to another reason is just begging for a rules clusterfuck

This is a total nonnissue and your handwriting about it is strange.