Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scott is way too anal to not know if X is Xavier or not. Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Saoshyant posted:

If that's true, then Hickman is not doing a good job of distinguishing between X and the Maker. Everywhere I go online where people are discussing this run there's always some claiming X is the Maker. If it's setting up a fake out, then it's a very weird thing to set a fake out on.

And I say this has someone who has never read a single thing with this Maker character in. I didn't read the Ultimate universe, and I never bother with the Avengers regardless of who's writing them.

I don't know that the tendency of certain people to go "But they both have shiny metal helmets that cover half their faces they're clearly the same dude" is really on Hickman

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I don't know that the tendency of certain people to go "But they both have shiny metal helmets that cover half their faces they're clearly the same dude" is really on Hickman

He's doing it on purpose and I think it's hilarious, personally.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I guess you could handwave it around with "well you know, he can change shape! And height and weight and voice, probably!" or whatever, but the Maker and Professor X in HoX are both just white dudes who have the top half of their heads covered.

In comics, half of the characters are drawn by 90% of artists as interchangable Big Handsome White Dudes, it's easy to go "that could be anyone under that mask!" but within the 'real' world of comics, all of these people have known Xavier for years, decades, their entire adult lives.

The idea that Cyclops or Wolverine or Magneto or Jean Grey couldn't tell these nine dudes apart because part of their face is covered is absurd narratively. And these are just generic still photos, not someone walking around and talking and making different facial expressions and etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Plus Jean Grey is an Omega level telepath.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

The idea that Cyclops or Wolverine or Magneto or Jean Grey couldn't tell these nine dudes apart because part of their face is covered is absurd narratively. And these are just generic still photos, not someone walking around and talking and making different facial expressions and etc.

Lol thanks for making this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

The idea that Cyclops or Wolverine or Magneto or Jean Grey couldn't tell these nine dudes apart because part of their face is covered is absurd narratively.

The issue with saying this is that you're discussing superhero comics where all it takes a domino mask to render people unrecognizable to people who know them, let alone a full-face mask.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s no way he’s the Maker, but I’m sure he’d be able to mimic Xavier’s facial structure.

Regardless, the helmeted mastermind look is pretty great.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The issue with saying this is that you're discussing superhero comics where all it takes a domino mask to render people unrecognizable to people who know them, let alone a full-face mask.
Is this really true, outside of bad comics? I get that the general public might go "oh it's someone in the Captain America costume, it must be Captain America!" but pretty much every single storyline with 'replacement character' involves someone being able to use normal human senses to determine that their friend [Batman/Daredevil/Captain America/etc.] has been replaced.

So far in HoX/PoX the only people we've seen interact personally with Xavier/"Professor X" (if you prefer) are Wolverine, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Magneto, and some mutant kids who don't know anything presumably.

There's a big difference between "random Gotham citizen isn't entirely clear how many Robins there are" (something that is part of Comic Book Reality} and like... Alfred being shocked that Dick and Tim are two different people. And the Xavier Isn't Xavier hypothesis tends towards the latter, putting aside superhuman perception.

WHAT IS BLACK WIDOW DOING TURNING INTO IRON MAN, WHO ALSO HAS THOR'S HAMMER NOW?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 1, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Is this really true, outside of bad comics? I get that the general public might go "oh it's someone in the Captain America costume, it must be Captain America!" but pretty much every single storyline with 'replacement character' involves someone being able to use normal human senses to determine that their friend [Batman/Daredevil/Captain America/etc.] has been replaced.

So far in HoX/PoX the only people we've seen interact personally with Xavier/"Professor X" (if you prefer) are Wolverine, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Magneto, and some mutant kids who don't know anything presumably.

There's a big difference between "random Gotham citizen isn't entirely clear how many Robins there are" (something that is part of Comic Book Reality} and like... Alfred being shocked that Dick and Tim are two different people. And the Xavier Isn't Xavier hypothesis tends towards the latter, putting aside superhuman perception.

WHAT IS BLACK WIDOW DOING TURNING INTO IRON MAN, WHO ALSO HAS THOR'S HAMMER NOW?

I mean yes, absolutely. "Every Batman comic ever" relies on the idea that the international billionaire handsome playboy can't be recognized by comparing him to Batman despite the fact that literally every LA Batman shows us that of course you can. Even if you allow for the things comics love to use of "Of course I knew all along" (Lois/Aunt May and MJ/whatever) there are still plenty of examples of people just plain not figuring out the obvious. Like Jonah never figured out Peter was Spider-Man despite A) hearing the dude's voice all the time and B) The multiple scenes we see of Spider-Man with his mask half pulled up so he can eat or whatever, including scenes with Jonah.

I mean this is true even of modern comics and modern characters. Ms. Marvel is an insanely identifiable young woman and her mask consists of less than a pair of sunglasses but only some of the people who should know managed to piece it together despite her face being prominently displayed and also existing in an era of social media where in reality it would take .3 seconds for some lovely blog to post her real identity for clicks, let alone the people who literally know her.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Ms Marvel is a children’s comic, so it’s not the great example you think it is. Further more, Xavier has been rocking the cerebro helmet for decades. It’s more likely the Maker stole his look from Xavier, and not the other way around. The hoxpox helmet looks like Xavier just wanted to add cyclop’s dumb X-face design to it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
THIS THREAD: I don't find it realistic that a mask could hide anyone's identity!

ALSO THIS THREAD: So Magneto uses his powers to rip all of the Adamantium out of Wolverine's body but it turns out his claws weren't given to him in the Weapon X procedure but were there all along and now he just has BONE CLAWS.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well gently caress you guys for mentioning grand design, I've been binging on it all weekend. It's awesome.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

New theory: the x-men got extremely good at identifying people by their chins after putting up with Cyclops’ terrible costume decisions for years.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's a Hickman story, so it's way more likely that it's Doom under that helmet than Reed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think the whole Xavier's identity thing is a red herring really. Revealing Xavier to be secretly someone else just overcomplicates an already complex narrative.

My wild theory on what a big reveal might be, which makes more and more sense now that I think about it, is that "Alia Gregor" = Moira MacTaggert...

Like think about it, in Moira's lives, the one thing she didn't attempt is to try to infiltrate the Sentinel project herself. And she has a head full of data on Nimrod to do it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 1, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You are right that's too Scottish to be a coincidence

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently Rosenberg has said the X plotline has been dropped, so it's likely the masked Xavier isn't even meant to be Fantomex's body anymore either.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently Rosenberg has said the X plotline has been dropped, so it's likely the masked Xavier isn't even meant to be Fantomex's body anymore either.

But it wasn't his story and this isn't his story (and I don't like him) so why would he know?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rantmo posted:

But it wasn't his story and this isn't his story (and I don't like him) so why would he know?
But he was the guy who took over the main line X-Men right after it.

I guess yeah, Hickman could pick up up a bad story that was dropped 2 years ago if he wanted to but that’s kind of against everything he’s said he’s doing here.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but has Jean ever been able to use the focused totality of her telekinetic powers to make a knife?

Psylocke tought young jean grey how to make psychic/telekinetic weapons and all of young Jean's memories transferred to her so she should be able to make them if she wanted to. I think she made an axe or a mace or something like that. (sorry I am very late on this I was away for almost a month without internet at my in-laws when I wanted to reply and just remember this post to reply to.)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 2, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I mean yes, absolutely. "Every Batman comic ever" relies on the idea that the international billionaire handsome playboy can't be recognized by comparing him to Batman despite the fact that literally every LA Batman shows us that of course you can. Even if you allow for the things comics love to use of "Of course I knew all along" (Lois/Aunt May and MJ/whatever) there are still plenty of examples of people just plain not figuring out the obvious. Like Jonah never figured out Peter was Spider-Man despite A) hearing the dude's voice all the time and B) The multiple scenes we see of Spider-Man with his mask half pulled up so he can eat or whatever, including scenes with Jonah.

I mean this is true even of modern comics and modern characters. Ms. Marvel is an insanely identifiable young woman and her mask consists of less than a pair of sunglasses but only some of the people who should know managed to piece it together despite her face being prominently displayed and also existing in an era of social media where in reality it would take .3 seconds for some lovely blog to post her real identity for clicks, let alone the people who literally know her.
Even by dumb comic book logic, people generally recognize when Iron Fist dresses up as Daredevil, when there's a new Robin or Batman, that there's a new Captain America, etc. etc. etc.

The flimsy comic book logic is generally that "by putting on a mask random people can't tell who that person is unmasked", not "well Namor just put on Hawkeye's costume and despite being taller and older and having a different build and body language and voice and everything else, all of the Avengers walk around going "weird how Hawkeye has gotten really lovely at shooting arrows and has pointy ears and can lift up cars and keeps screaming IMPERIUS REX, oh well, whatever."

danbanana posted:

THIS THREAD: I don't find it realistic that a mask could hide anyone's identity!

ALSO THIS THREAD: So Magneto uses his powers to rip all of the Adamantium out of Wolverine's body but it turns out his claws weren't given to him in the Weapon X procedure but were there all along and now he just has BONE CLAWS.
Even fantasy stories have underlying logic to their worlds and sometimes bad stories violate that logic, congratulations on being the first person to discover this.

"Identity Crisis is a good mystery because anything that doesn't make sense can be addressed by the fact that AQUAMAN CAN BREATHE WATER, of course bitches are crazy for no reason, you stupid rear end in a top hat. God."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Today’s issue was so good. I loved the dialogue and brutality of the mission. And now we know when the opening of House of X actually happens

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I just finished the Brood Saga in my Claremont readthrough, and between that and HoX 4 I'm now all about Wolverine and Kurt being bestest buds.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

gently caress, that was an issue. It also Doesn't make me feel great that we're just growing x-men in pods now. Hoping to get some info on that soon.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Even though we all know the events won't stick, stuff like seeing Nightcrawler just instantly burn to a husk after teleporting is pretty loving brutal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

enigmahfc posted:

Even though we all know the events won't stick, stuff like seeing Nightcrawler just instantly burn to a husk after teleporting is pretty loving brutal.

Most of them had a brutal death. Mystique for airlocked. Cyclops got headshot. Jean’s death was probably as bad if not worse than Kurts. Spaced and torn apart by Sentinels? Hell of a way to go. And given the fact that Scott/Jeans last conversation was them still trying to make their way out I don’t think they know (or are aware) that Xavier can potentially bring them back. I’m curious to see how X plays this out and how ok they are with being reborn

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
This was the first issue that really landed for me. The little exchange between Logan and Kurt was really great.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Still convinced the opening HoX 1 scene is a red-herring and that what this issue shows is not what we think.

The Mother Mold's little soliloquy as it drops into the implies to me that this didn't stop anything. The machine rise is still happening, just not with this particular Mold. And yes, it might mitigate the problem but that's not exactly what someone saying "NO MORE" would find acceptable right? That's a lot of A-list deaths just to delay, or have a "lesser" man-machine supremacy come about. If this is the culmination of Moira's nine previous lives then she loving sucks at it, yo.

So I'm still of the mind that this is Life VI, or that Moira's "final" plan hatches in Life XI after this boondoggle.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

danbanana posted:

Still convinced the opening HoX 1 scene is a red-herring and that what this issue shows is not what we think.

The Mother Mold's little soliloquy as it drops into the implies to me that this didn't stop anything. The machine rise is still happening, just not with this particular Mold.

I think this was pretty explicitly stated in one of the previous books, though I forget if it was a Powers or a House. The only questions are when, and what their disposition is.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I often wonder why no one in these universes full of killer sentient robots doesn't just... build a race of nice sentient robots.

Granted, it probably wouldn't serve much of a purpose seeing as if they were truly pacifist, they'd probably gently caress off to live in real of pure data, fueled by a dyson sphere rather than defend humanity/mutants from their killer cousins, but it seems like "fight killer robots with good guy robots" is only Vision's schtick, and in his case it was a happy accident

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OnimaruXLR posted:

I often wonder why no one in these universes full of killer sentient robots doesn't just... build a race of nice sentient robots.

Granted, it probably wouldn't serve much of a purpose seeing as if they were truly pacifist, they'd probably gently caress off to live in real of pure data, fueled by a dyson sphere rather than defend humanity/mutants from their killer cousins, but it seems like "fight killer robots with good guy robots" is only Vision's schtick, and in his case it was a happy accident

I think it might be because in the Marvel universe one of the first attempts was Ultron, which kind of...poisoned the well a bit.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Great issue. Very on the nose with the x-men and the human scientist saying almost the exact same thing, but in a good way.

If Xavier already has the rebirthing pods ready to go, why was he crying and screaming so much at the end?

OnimaruXLR posted:

, they'd probably gently caress off to live in real of pure data, fueled by a Dyson sphere

Sounds kind of like the phalanx.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Billzasilver posted:

If Xavier already has the rebirthing pods ready to go, why was he crying and screaming so much at the end?

Right? Seems like an overreaction for someone who can Dr. Venture some more Logans whenever he needs to...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stanfield posted:

I just finished the Brood Saga in my Claremont readthrough, and between that and HoX 4 I'm now all about Wolverine and Kurt being bestest buds.

Read the first arc of Astonishing Amazing X-Men (2013). It has one of my favorite Wolverine and Kurt moments of all time.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 4, 2019

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

It feels like The trick will be the pod squad won't remember dying or something like that. Sacrificing soldiers and loving with people's memories seems like peak Xavier.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Read the first arc of Astonishing X-Men (2013).
No.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I meant Amazing X-Men. Jason Aaron writing and Ed Mcguiness art.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
I kinda like the dramatic repurposing of "No More" by Xaiver.

He may not have the pods ready yet, but even if he does, Hickman is pretty blunt about Xavier's extensive trauma about having his children be killed over and over again and being unable to stop it. There's even that awesome No More splash page of his crying face mixed between a listing of past horrors and the current horrific deaths of each crew member. Ideally he wouldn't have to send core Xmen on a suicide mission to prevent the extinction of his species. He's also clearly connected telepathically to each one of them as they die horribly. It's possible he may already have his solution cooking but that doesn't necessarily take away from any pain he might be feeling about having to actually make use of it. Even if he can actually resurrect the sun gang, it doesn't mean that he feels any less guilty about them having to experience death. I think people are so expecting of a villainous twist from Xaiver it's hard to see him as a grieving father in this moment. I also think Hickman has been making Xaiver up to this point come off like an unfeeling tyrant/dictator as a bit of misdirection too.

"While you slept, the world changed" is possibly Xaiver announcing to the entire planet that mutants can no longer die and I wouldn't be surprised if Krakoa cannot physically be destroyed without some kind of incredible damage to the planet's ecosystem or to potential millions of humans who took the Krakoa pills. Basically there has to be some motivation to keep the island from being annihilated like every other mutant compound in this lifetime as well as any of the past 9. This becomes an even more necessary precaution to take if Krakoa is some kind of unlimited mutant rebirth organism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This was quite a strong issue that unfortunately had three sticking points with me. Four if we're being mega nitpicky.

1) The Mother Mold's whole soliloquy was...interesting? and certainly got the point across...except it got like every single fact about mythology wrong. The gods were the titans' successors, not the other way around. In fact, a titan made mankind, not the gods. And then that same titan also stole fire, not man themselves. Did they teach this Mother Mold by feeding it Disney movies or what?

2) Referring to Wanda as "the pretender" seems just...annoyingly cruel. You, the writers at Marvel, hosed up this character and had her do a bunch of lovely things because she's apparently so crazy or something. Thanks Bendis. Then again you, the writers at Marvel, hosed with her origins because of motion picture licensing issues, which now turned out to be a pointless exercise because the movies get to use mutants now anyway and movie-Wanda's probably going to be a mutant at some point again, and then I guess the comics Wanda will follow along again so hey great job tossing in this dig about her being a pretender which is probably gonna get retconned in a bit. What was that you were saying, Hickman, about how comics should pave the way for the films and not the other way around?

Look. I know that, narratively-speaking, it makes sense for mutants to harbor a great deal of resentment towards Wanda which is going to be exacerbated by her turning out (currently) not to be a mutant in the first place. But I can't divorce the metatext of this from the real life associations of the entirety of Marvel Comics just loving with this character over and over for no good reason and then trying to shift blame to the fictional character itself. There's also the gross implication of a character who's legitimately, mentally ill (again, Marvel, you canonically told us this, this is an aspect of the character you implemented) who "pretended" to be something that she wasn't. It smacks of villainizing someone for her illness -- something she had no control over -- and is just...I can't think of any other word but gross.

3) Speaking of metatext, it makes utterly no sense that there's no mention of the Inhumans or the M-Pox at all. I guess that it doesn't fit neatly into the whole "Look how much they hate us" angle Hickman is trying to play out with these mutant genocide events, but the idea of this run just flat-out ignoring the Terrigen plague is insane considering how big a deal it was (it killed Cyclops for pete's sake!). What's more, wasn't it Hickman himself who originally had Black Bolt unleash the mists onto the planet? It feels, honestly, a little cowardly for him to not have to deal with its implications at this time, in this run where he's diving deep into almost everything else that ever even happened to the X-Men.

4) We're gonna have to talk about Hickman's weird infantilization of Jean at some point. It's subtle. It's not something overt and impactful and barely affects what the characters do. But it's there. She's literally wearing her high school uniform. She's calling Xavier "sir" and he's calling her "child" even though the last time they were around they were on far more equal terms. Monet, of all people, a third or fourth generation X-Man, is talking down to her like she barely knows how to use her own powers. It's...me nitpicking, but it's still there.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 4, 2019