Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I work on a ship. This one,

and yeah, though we have a fairly extensive fire suppression system, job one for anyone not directly tasked with firefighting is get to your boat and be prepared to get the gently caress off. In your assigned boat ideally, but if it comes to it, however possible. We drill on it weekly, and we take it very seriously. A fire at sea is no joke. We often operate VERY remotely, even for the sea, far from standard shipping lanes, and help can sometimes be even a week or more away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do you know why the doors on the boat might have been locked?

I really hope it was just the operator making a leap of logic and not actually the case, because, drat that's horrifying.

No I don't. But there will be a investigation by the USCG.

Escape routes would have been clear during the COI. But that doesn't mean they were at the time of the accident or that the accident didn't block them.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Inferior Third Season posted:

You're nearly perfectly describing the "petite bourgeoisie". They imitate, identify with, and defend the bourgeoisie, but don't have anywhere close to the amount of capital and power they have.

I feel like the ongoing college admissions bribery trial is a great example of the petite bourgeoisie. People who are rich so they think they should be able to buy their kids' way into college, but they (and the people saying "why didn't they just donate to the college like rich people have always done?") don't realize the nearly unimaginable levels of wealth needed to do that sort of thing, at least when it comes to making a dent at a school with a multi-billion dollar endowment. "I can't just give a couple mil and get my kid into <prestegious school>? Sure a donation that size might make an impact (and get my idiot child past the admissions office) at a tiny, decent quality, unknown liberal arts college, but what's the point of sending my kid to a school no one's ever heard of? Maybe I'll just engage in some nice affordable bribery instead."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jethro posted:

I feel like the ongoing college admissions bribery trial is a great example of the petite bourgeoisie. People who are rich so they think they should be able to buy their kids' way into college, but they (and the people saying "why didn't they just donate to the college like rich people have always done?") don't realize the nearly unimaginable levels of wealth needed to do that sort of thing, at least when it comes to making a dent at a school with a multi-billion dollar endowment. "I can't just give a couple mil and get my kid into <prestegious school>? Sure a donation that size might make an impact (and get my idiot child past the admissions office) at a tiny, decent quality, unknown liberal arts college, but what's the point of sending my kid to a school no one's ever heard of? Maybe I'll just engage in some nice affordable bribery instead."

A bourgeoisie is Roger Goodell

A petite bourgeoisie is a NFL football player, or Jay-Z pretending to be woke until someone offers him an ownership stake

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NFL players are working for compensation how does that make them a member of the bourgeoisie?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

A bourgeoisie is Roger Goodell

A petite bourgeoisie is a NFL football player, or Jay-Z pretending to be woke until someone offers him an ownership stake

A quick google check says that Jay-Z's net worth is 1 billion dollars.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

NFL players are working for compensation how does that make them a member of the bourgeoisie?

Methinks some people may not be clear on the definitions and just think anyone with a good paycheck needs the guillotine. :ssh:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah Jay Z is loving rich. If the Jay Z-Beyoncé household were a person, it would be one of the ten richest black people on earth.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sundae posted:

Methinks some people may not be clear on the definitions and just think anyone with a good paycheck needs the guillotine. :ssh:

That's kinda the joke, yes. Also we take solace in our lowly worlds whenever a rich person bootlicks for another rich person.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

I guess Beyonce finally found someone who can pay her telephone bills.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ReidRansom posted:

I work on a ship. This one,

and yeah, though we have a fairly extensive fire suppression system, job one for anyone not directly tasked with firefighting is get to your boat and be prepared to get the gently caress off. In your assigned boat ideally, but if it comes to it, however possible. We drill on it weekly, and we take it very seriously. A fire at sea is no joke. We often operate VERY remotely, even for the sea, far from standard shipping lanes, and help can sometimes be even a week or more away.

You know how they say every Marine/Soldier is a rifleman? Every Sailor is a firefighter. Yeah. That’s how dangerous fires at sea are.

I was lucky only having to deal with two fires when I was active duty and neither of them spread past a single compartment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ships sound real bad and maybe we just shouldn't have them.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Better get used to them. Jet air travel is about to be beyond the reach of us plebs.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

On the other hand, fires on nuclear powered cargo ships will be a lot more exciting.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

On the other hand, fires on nuclear powered cargo ships will be a lot more exciting.

Engineered blackbox nuke tech with an input output on switch will save our planet and the navy is the best chance we got.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pseudorandom name posted:

Nah, they'll be drone ships so anyone on board will be valueless stowaways

No casualties!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Ships sound real bad and maybe we just shouldn't have them.

Everybody dies without ships. Basically everything you used today had some very important part of its supply chain trsnsported on ship.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Egress issues aside, I'm hearing the cause of that fire may have been power strips in the galley. There have been bulletins from USCG and some of the flags on the issue going back about 5 years.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Or lithium batteries catching fire while charging. Some ships have started charging lithium devices in fireproof boxes but it's not a requirement at this time.

Regulations are written in blood.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

AlternateNu posted:

You know how they say every Marine/Soldier is a rifleman? Every Sailor is a firefighter. Yeah. That’s how dangerous fires at sea are.

My dad spent 20 years on ballistic missile boats and he always said his most intensive training (by far) was fire suppression.

RandomPauI posted:

Regulations are written in blood.

Evergreen Tweet.

Also proof of why libertarianism is the official philosophy of double capital-D DumDums.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

If a significant portion of that compensation is invested, they then profit from others' labor even if they're still earning money from their own labor. Obviously there's a sliding scale of how bad this is ranging from "a random person's modest 401k" at the low end (and even among the rich, entertainment/sports people are probably the least bad since they're generally not coming from an elite background), but once a person becomes rich they probably have enough invested that they're profiting substantially from others' labor.

I feel like a reasonable point to "draw a line" is once someone has enough wealth saved up that they can live comfortably from just the returns off of investing it (or makes enough money that they could have chosen to do this).

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like a reasonable point to "draw a line" is once someone has enough wealth saved up that they can live comfortably from just the returns off of investing it (or makes enough money that they could have chosen to do this).

So...anyone who can retire?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

GamingHyena posted:

It isn't in of itself a bad thing. If a 401k retirement is something that's achievable by all members of society then we've in a roundabout way achieved a sort-of classless society. The problem is it's only attainable to upper-middle class professionals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

It isn't in of itself a bad thing. If a 401k retirement is something that's achievable by all members of society then we've in a roundabout way achieved a sort-of classless society. The problem is it's only attainable to upper-middle class professionals.

Huh I wonder why d&d is obsessed with defending that system

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What a piece of poo poo:
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1170712554777317386
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1170716379542097925

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Trying to make changes and having a 401k are not mutually exclusive, which is what I think you're suggesting.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Quote the people defending the 401(k) system, I haven’t seen these posts.

I mean let’s be honest, you’re doing that thing where you’re conflating posts that say “hey, lots of people have a 401k”, or had their pensions converted to a 401k against their own wishes with whatever crap you’re posting.

No one likes the 401(k) system. No one thinks it’s right or fair that everyone has to take money they need now and put it away in a formalized gambling den and hope to god that maybe they’ll be able to retire with many failing. And of course it benefits the rich with massive tax benefits because of course it does. But guess what? That’s the system that lots of us have been forced into, and wanting to preserve some of that money normal, every day people have saved through whatever transition people advocate isn’t unreasonable. It’s not even that much money for normal folks, after 40 years of wage stagnation, why would you begrudge them this?

The real enemies aren’t dental hygienists or plumbers or teachers or unionized mechanics, it’s those at the very top.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

It’s not even that much money for normal folks, after 40 years of wage stagnation, why would you begrudge them this?

VitalSigns posted:

lol at the idea that most 60 year olds have a million dollar household net worth, when in reality it's a relatively small number of white collar assholes who will go full reactionary at the mere suggestion that their inferiors don't deserve to starve

Computer touching goons believe that being a millionaire is normal because everyone they know is one and they don't talk to the 80% of Americans who don't have 7 figures in the bank when it's time to get that gold watch, news at 11

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Strapping in for :newt: "But it doesn't feel true" to dismiss incontrovertible evidence that no it is not normal to be a millionaire at 60 years old

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Computer touching goons believe that being a millionaire is normal because everyone they know is one and they don't talk to the 80% of Americans who don't have 7 figures in the bank when it's time to get that gold watch, news at 11

Why do you keep lying? It’s loving obnoxious. It doesn’t even further the discussion.

Quote where I said anything about how “being a millionaire is normal”. Search was reindexed a while back, go through my entire posting history if you must.

Put up or shut up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

Why do you keep lying? It’s loving obnoxious. It doesn’t even further the discussion.

Quote where I said anything about how “being a millionaire is normal”. Search was reindexed a while back, go through my entire posting history if you must.

Put up or shut up.

Ok. What amount of money are you talking about here:

Solkanar512 posted:

It’s not even that much money for normal folks

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

I’m talking about the minuscule amount of money the vast majority of people lucky enough to have a 401(k) have saved up. As we both have literally stated, it’s certainly not enough to retire on. Especially when you start talking about folks who’ve had to drain their account due to emergency situations, healthcare costs, long term unemployment and so on.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

Let's go back to this post: no. Being able to retire means you have enough wealth to last you the rest of your life. It does not mean that you'll be living solely off of capital gains. You'll be spending through the principal as you go.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Put up or shut up.
I think VitalSigns misunderstood your post as saying "[A million dollars is] not even that much money for normal folks" whereas you were actually saying "[The amount in people's 401k accounts] is not even that much money for normal folks."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m talking about the minuscule amount of money the vast majority of people lucky enough to have a 401(k) have saved up. As we both have literally stated, it’s certainly not enough to retire on. Especially when you start talking about folks who’ve had to drain their account due to emergency situations, healthcare costs, long term unemployment and so on.

Oh ok.

Can you quote the person who said we should seize little old ladies' $1000 accounts, because I'm not sure whom you're arguing against

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Rex-Goliath posted:

No, not even close. Maybe, at best, you can get to a point where people aren't going hungry. That's a good thing - but it doesn't solve the problem that some people will still have more resources, and the people way out at the end of the wealth distribution are going to be able to buy influence to keep improving their own position, and keep banking their exponential gains with less and less going towards the necessities of life.

And, guess what they're going to do with that purchased influence?

"Why should those people have all these resources that do nothing but buy them food I can't even eat? It should be going to a wealthy influence-buyer like me."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I suggest making a different thread rather than continuing this discussion in this one; the one with higher posting penalties.

VitalSigns posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

Put up or shut up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/08/us/cargo-ship-st-simons-georgia.html

Car carrier fire / capsize in GA

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 9, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Another one big enough for national news? Guess we're going to see a lot of nautical tragedy getting reported on in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They rescued the 4 trapped inside.