Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Omobono posted:

Sorry, I want double check my understand of the current situation.
The "Bojo has to plead to the EU for an extension while wearing a pink tutu" bill has passed the house and now has to clear the lords.
There's going to be a vote shortly on having an election but Labour and the other opposition parties don't want it right this instant because Bojo could gently caress things up and drag the UK off the no deal cliff. If the bill actually clears the Lords then it's election time.
Tory Lords can try to delay but the House can respond to that.

Anything wrong and/or missing?

If by "gently caress things up" you mean "deliberately switch the election date into November" then yes

e: Bloody Stupid Johnson is the UK's 77th PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

If there is at least one then its a party, if you go by my birthday party attendance

hosed up you didn't even go to your own birthday party and left me alone with the cake.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How does this lords filibuster poo poo work?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
does anyone have that future labour leader polling showing that jess phillips is unpopular with the membership? assuming i didn't imagine it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1169343260336300034?s=20

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
drat, Sandy Martin has a great tie.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/09/what-just-happened-stephen-kinnocks-amendment-and-what-does-it-mean

This article is fascinating. One para in particular is interesting for what it doesn't say:

NS posted:

But the second and more important consequence is that because the vote passed by default, there is no division list. Even in defeat, the bill risked creating a far more dangerous blow to Boris Johnson than any effort to delay no deal – a positive majority for an alternative Brexit approach. Had 30 or so Labour MPs actually voted for the deal, the path to a plausible and negotiable deal other than that favoured by Johnson would have been clear.

that interpretation is one way to look at it but the other is that by pulling that the lab melts didn't get to raise their flag and have support counted for soft tories by saying 'we will support may's bill and will vote with tories who do'. By succeeding kinnock failed lol. No wonder he was looking shook.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jose posted:

does anyone have that future labour leader polling showing that jess phillips is unpopular with the membership? assuming i didn't imagine it

leftiestats just retweeted it

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1153326333788749824

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1169344098576359424

Cards continue to be played close to chest.

I'm torn personally. It would be REALLY loving funny to watch BoJo beg for an extention but the shitshow tonight shows he will use every dirty trick in the book to try and get No Deal. If we ended up crashing out because the extention bill wasn't as watertight as we thought it would be a tragedy.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

The clear hatred from all the MPs towards boris owns

Genuinely think the Tories might have hosed it by picking a leader Labour MPs hate more than Corbyn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ratjaculation posted:

If there is at least one then its a party, if you go by my birthday party attendance
:getout: Toby.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
anyone know what bercow was chastising LRM about?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Haven't been on these threads in a while but came back for the drama. Votes are happening RN.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Accusing BoJo of lying. It was before he was PM so it's not contempt per-se but pretty close to it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I dunno if the stream skipped, but it almost sounds like Bercow ensured the last words of the debate were Russell-Moyle saying "the prime minister allegedly lied twice".

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nuclear Spoon posted:

anyone know what bercow was chastising LRM about?

Accusing someone of being a liar, but the stream was glitchy and skipped a bit.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Delthalaz posted:

How does this lords filibuster poo poo work?

Various lords have apparently proposed over a hundred different amendments to the bill, all of which have to be discussed and voted upon, so it's an attempt to drag it out until parliament is closed down next week.

Edit: this is some weak poo poo right here
https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1169307403084554240

Sharrow fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 4, 2019

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Boris Johnson: He wanted to be a tiger, but ended up as a rug.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

sauer kraut posted:

Accusing someone of being a liar, but the stream was glitchy and skipped a bit.

Specifically, being sacked twice for lying. Hopefully, not long before number three.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I just want to see Bercow kick someone in the chest, please dear God make it happen.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Sharrow posted:

Various lords have apparently proposed over a hundred different amendments to the bill, all of which have to be discussed and voted upon, so it's an attempt to drag it out until parliament is closed down next week.

Edit: this is some weak poo poo right here
https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1169307403084554240

They've managed about 6 in 4 hours

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So what mechanism is there to override the lords filibuster?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

A closure motion on each amendment which reduces it to 30 minutes an amendment (no debate, only voting)...this means everyone needs to stay awake and present

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
late but jess phillips sucks poo poo

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Delthalaz posted:

There's others, but this is my favourite:

An Act for the Abolishing the House of Peers posted:

The Commons of England assembled in Parliament, finding by too long experience, that the House of Lords is useless and dangerous to the People of England to be continued, have thought fit to Ordain and Enact, and be it Ordained and Enacted by this present Parliament, and by the Authority of the same, That from henceforth the House of Lords in Parliament, shall be and is hereby wholly abolished and taken away; And that the Lords shall not from henceforth meet or sit in the said House called The Lords House, or in any other House or Place whatsoever, as a House of Lords; nor shall Sit, Vote, Advise, Adjudge, or Determine of any matter or thing whatsoever, as a House of Lords in Parliament: Nevertheless it is hereby Declared, That neither such Lords as have demeaned themselves with Honor, Courage and Fidelity to the Commonwealth, nor their Posterities who shall continue so, shall be excluded from the Publique Councils of the Nation, but shall be admitted thereunto, and have their Free Vote in Parliament, if they shall be thereunto elected, as other persons of Interest elected and qualified thereunto, ought to have.

Otherwise to have no Priviledge.

And be it further Ordained and Enacted by the Authority aforesaid, That no Peer of this Land, not being Elected, Qualified, and sitting in Parliament as aforesaid, shall claim, have or make use of any priviledge of Parliament, either in relation to his Person, Quality or Estate, Any Law, Usage or Custom to the contrary notwithstanding.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So what is being voted on right now?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

bump_fn posted:

late but jess phillips sucks poo poo

It's true, but the core point she was making today is pretty solid, and she looked good and furious with the Tories while she was doing it

Zip! posted:

Snap General Election

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Zip! posted:

Calling an early election

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zip! posted:

Boris's Trap Election: Yes/No

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what yhis mean

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if we end up no dealing because of the lords filibustering its going to be carnage

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Stupid Boris. Can't even sack himself properly.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Mass abstention lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol eat poo poo boris

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Tories have gathered for a good ole fashioned circlejerk

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Come on Boris, just announce Martial Law and start arresting everyone.

you can cunt off
May 5, 2019

by VideoGames
congrats boris on his first win in parliament

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Come on Boris, just announce Martial Law and start arresting everyone.

tbf everyone left in that chamber has probably committed terrible nonce crimes

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
HUMILIATION FOR LOSER BORIS

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Government is defeated again in motion on general election

As expected, Boris Johnson has suffered another big loss, with the Commons rejecting his motion calling for a general election.

Ayes:298

Noes: 56

Aye we want no election, we want no election today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

you can oval office off posted:

congrats boris on his first win in parliament

no it still failed