Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

maybe it’s pure cynicism but I can’t give a drat about that icyclone man’s thoughts

the tweets from people who actually have a personal connection to the situation are the ones worthy of reading. gently caress that bro :radcat:

Bulgakov has issued a correction as of 12:22 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Bulgakov posted:

the tweets from people who actually have a persona connection to the situation are the ones worthy of reading. gently caress that bro :radcat:

but his tweets have a direct connection to his "hurricane man" persona

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Over Easy posted:

but his tweets have a direct connection to his "hurricane man" persona

oops lol meant to type personal. fixing.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bulgakov posted:

maybe it’s pure cynicism but I can’t give a drat about that icyclone man’s thoughts

the tweets from people who actually have a personal connection to the situation are the ones worthy of reading. gently caress that bro :radcat:

the dude was on abaco and was pretty personally at risk :shrug:

ya it's pretty tonedeaf but it was probably a marketing intern running his twitter

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Colin Mockery posted:

No, 7 people have officially died.
I did some math on the death tolls after Katrina when Puerto Rico got hit last year. The final death toll was about 200 times the early reported numbers in both cases. It's an extremely loose ballpark estimate, but I think it's safe to assume the final number will be in the 4 digits here as well.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

soy posted:

Yeah but he chose to go there and put himself at risk.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jesus christ. And grand bahamas is going to be worse

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

soy posted:

ya it's pretty tonedeaf but it was probably a marketing intern running his twitter

its all bullshit

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i assume that the more southern bahamas which are an enormous black hole of financial crime and tourism and gambling will never truly help recompense for the suffering of the more human tolls who were wrecked on the upper islands, because by the terms of history theres so much foreign influence of rule via snotty pedigree

all commonwealth nations need 2 form their own unified state against the old master

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heed my words C-SPAM, and dabble not in dark psychic forces unless you are prepared to accept the spiritual consequences.

Waves of crippling depression have struck me in the midweek, following the weekend of channeling energy toward Dorian.

Safeguard yourself and especially your astral self.

I regret nothing.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

What forecast is the current best for predicting future movement up the Eastern us?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
whoops

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the only question i have is are the rich and powerful going to snap up all that cheap carribean land that suddenly became available or are they going to go "nah to risky" and leave everyone there to die

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Al! posted:

the only question i have is are the rich and powerful going to snap up all that cheap carribean land that suddenly became available or are they going to go "nah to risky" and leave everyone there to die

They are gonna buy everything they can for cheap, squeeze the maximum amount of relief money they can out of it, rebuild everything super cheaply but insured to the max and hope for another hurricane to double their money while everyone who actually lives there gets screwed out of relief money and has to deal with the lovely rebuilds that just fall apart faster and worse in the next hurricane

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
yeah that makes sense

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bulgakov posted:

its all bullshit

eh maybe but that show sounds badass

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

They are gonna buy everything they can for cheap, squeeze the maximum amount of relief money they can out of it, rebuild everything super cheaply but insured to the max and hope for another hurricane to double their money while everyone who actually lives there gets screwed out of relief money and has to deal with the lovely rebuilds that just fall apart faster and worse in the next hurricane

gently caress dude spoiler tag that poo poo i was doing so good in my blind runthrough

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is Dorian still doing donuts on the Bahamas?

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:sbahj:

This looks like the civilizational ruins in that new blade runner lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Is Dorian still doing donuts on the Bahamas?

no, it's now sitting off shore of central florida and shouting "i'm not touching you" really loudly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/wxdam/status/1169309514669199361

Not only did they loving sharpie in some extra stuff so it looks like it would hit Alabama, the map is a loving week old. Like holy poo poo, the current project is no where near the place the President tweeted out today

Here is a link to a post with that map, from the 29th

Here is the current projection for Dorian

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

What forecast is the current best for predicting future movement up the Eastern us?

IIRC the "European" model was best the last couple of years. Vague memory.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Not only did they loving sharpie in some extra stuff so it looks like it would hit Alabama, the map is a loving week old. Like holy poo poo, the current project is no where near the place the President tweeted out today

Here is a link to a post with that map, from the 29th

Here is the current projection for Dorian

got im #resist

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

to be fair to tromp, he doesn’t say its the current projection, he says it’s an old one that Florida avoided

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Watch out, Newfoundland!

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

El Burbo posted:

to be fair to tromp, he doesn’t say its the current projection, he says it’s an old one that Florida avoided

to be fair, pretend as though literally anyone else is in that chair doing that update.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Wrenever posted:

to be fair, pretend as though literally anyone else is in that chair doing that update.

a TAN SUIT

what the gently caress

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Glumslinger posted:

also i've finally hit the edge of health vs. substance use in regards to maintaining an acceptable detachment from reality

crackping or whatever

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
honestly it’d be the funniest thing in the world if after all the poo poo trump has done that could be impeachable, this is why he got impeached. like I’m just imagining a world where falsifying a weather report over some petty poo poo gets the president of the most powerful country to ever exist impeached, and it’s wonderful.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

honestly it’d be the funniest thing in the world if after all the poo poo trump has done that could be impeachable, this is why he got impeached. like I’m just imagining a world where falsifying a weather report over some petty poo poo gets the president of the most powerful country to ever exist impeached, and it’s wonderful.

but when the President does it, that means it is not illegal

crack ping

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

El Burbo posted:

They literally call this a hurricane update on the official White House twitter account:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1169300628000124929

:psyboom:

Thanks for showing everyone a worthless, week old forecast and not even bothering with showing the latest one to at least try and cover for this transparent attempt at "I'm not wrong, you're wrong." dumb poo poo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The funny thing is how across the top of every forecast map it says "...hazardous conditions can occur outside the cone." So he didn't even have to draw a halfassed sharpie extension, he could have used that. Like, if the hurricane did actually follow that path it would probably cause some heavy rains and wind in alabama.

Furthermore, why does the noaa keep changing their forecast? It's like they don't know what they're doing. Just pick one and stick to it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh my god, he can not let it go

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1169375550806351872

Again, tweeting out week old hurricane projections, it hadn't even gotten to Puerto Rico yet. This man is unwell

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

jamal posted:

The funny thing is how across the top of every forecast map it says "...hazardous conditions can occur outside the cone." So he didn't even have to draw a halfassed sharpie extension, he could have used that. Like, if the hurricane did actually follow that path it would probably cause some heavy rains and wind in alabama.

Furthermore, why does the noaa keep changing their forecast? It's like they don't know what they're doing. Just pick one and stick to it.

This but more ironically.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Glumslinger posted:

Again, tweeting out week old hurricane projections, it hadn't even gotten to Puerto Rico yet. This man is unwell

haha such a thin skinned old baby

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bulgakov posted:

thats not jeff

lmfao

i cant breathe

trump

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Jesus christ. And grand bahamas is going to be worse

Well it was a Cat 5 hurricane, I remember seeing a cinder block style construction building completely demolished by the storm.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

The Glumslinger posted:

lol, one of the lines goes off the map, I think he just asked someone to scribble a bunch of extra ones going west over Alabama, none of those have colors or symbols that match the key to the diagram

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

twoday posted:

lol, one of the lines goes off the map, I think he just asked someone to scribble a bunch of extra ones going west over Alabama, none of those have colors or symbols that match the key to the diagram

VectorSigma posted:

They're the ones marked APxx and EExx, which are "ensemble members" of GFS and ECMWF models, respectively. These are model runs that use slightly varied initial conditions which are different than what actually exist as a sort of way of representing chaos and unknown variables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Oh god lol
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1169379991693537280