Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

Why would you watch this are you a masochist

A Lord is literally talking of his fear of guillotines right now.

Oh snap. In 79AD Mount Vesuvius erupted in one of the deadliest volcanic eruptions in European history. Several Roman settlements nearby were destroyed by the pyroclastic flow and ash fallout, such as Herculaneum and Pompeii.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol this fucko lizardman is so transparently filibustering, he's even cracking up about it

Sounds like my da when he talks about poo poo he has no idea about

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jess Philips is a narcissist who was raised to hate tories and immediately forgot all of it because they were nice to her personally. She could meet you drowning puppies and forget about it two minutes later if you compliment her hair.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Delthalaz posted:

OK so what happens next?

The dumbest 10% of the Lords may or may not try to filibuster. There have been rumours that they've been bought off and won't.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wouldn't mind Emily Thornberry but I don't think Corbyn needs to go.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Also Stephen Kinnock is a loving idiot

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Do the Lords ever do anything of consequence? Watching this from the US it sort of seems like they're just the US Senate but without any real point and even more undemocratic.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Delthalaz posted:

OK so what happens next?

Conservative lords to try to filibuster, have multiple heart attacks, legislation passes lords by the skin of its teeth, Corbyn finally puts a bangin' VONC on it.

EDIT: Reminder, this was Boris' THIRD DAY officially on the job.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 4, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is the House of Lords supposed to be full of olds who've realized that they cannot take all their wealth with them and are therefore hellbent to gently caress over everyone else?
Because that's certainly what it looks like.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

A Lord is literally talking of his fear of guillotines right now.

good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

Go on, post the whole thing then.

I'll be 100% honest here, I just wanted someone else to do it. But now I don't care as I'm just listening to the original instead

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

wocobob posted:

Do the Lords ever do anything of consequence?

Noncing

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

wocobob posted:

Do the Lords ever do anything of consequence? Watching this from the US it sort of seems like they're just the US Senate but without any real point and even more undemocratic.

They've proven useful for stopping a lot of the more batshit crap the commons passes now and then.
Strangely enough the undemocratic upper chamber seems more interested in protecting the democratic rights of the people than the lower but, there you go.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

wocobob posted:

They occasionally stop obviously terrible laws from passing or make them slightly less terrible but it's pretty rare

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

Go on, post the whole thing then.

I had a similar idea...

Who day and night must sit upon a big chair,
Issue shouts of "order", hear the daily brayers,
And who has the right as speaker of the house
To have the final word on votes?

The Bercoowwwww! The Bercow!
DIVISION!
The Bercoowwwww! The Bercow!
DIVISION!

Edit:

Who must know the way to run a quiet bench,
A mini-bench, a loser bench,
Who must prop the Tories up to "quell the stench"
So Cable's free to read the Orange Book?

The Libdeeeeems! The Libdems!
DIVISION!
The Libdeeeeems! The Libdems!
DIVISION!

At three I sat on Nanny's lap,
Latinam didici,
I hear they've picked a seat for me
I hope it's petty.

The Reesmooggg! The Reesmogg.
DIVISON!
The Reesmooggg! The Reesmogg.
DIVISON!

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 4, 2019

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

wocobob posted:

Pretty much.

Also they are just generally really good at slowing things down if the want to - just in this case slowing things down means the wheels fall off

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is the House of Lords supposed to be full of olds who've realized that they cannot take all their wealth with them and are therefore hellbent to gently caress over everyone else?
Because that's certainly what it looks like.

There are two sides to the Lords

The first is like you described: A bunch of olds saying gently caress you everyone else and doing what they want

The second is basically the opposite: A bunch of olds who know that nobody can take their position away from them so it doesn't matter what they do.

It's why it kinda works as a second chamber.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

wocobob posted:

They haven't even been able to block a law for the last 100 years. Best they can do is send it back to the Commons who can just pass it again.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I fully expect at least one Lord to die from old age before the night is over.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Lords is supposed to be full of industry and sector experts who can weigh in on the technicality of bills from their expertise without having to pander to joe public. On occasion they'll send back bills because they just wouldn't work.

But yes they're also a chamber of old farts, many of whom have great wealth and speak in the interests of great wealth.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So what you’re saying is in December when the new Corbyn government has an overwhelming majority, Labour will abolish the monarchy, the house of lords, and finally the commons itself, vesting absolute power in Labour Party Secretary Jeremy Corbyn

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

There are two sides to the Lords

The first is like you described: A bunch of olds saying gently caress you everyone else and doing what they want

The second is basically the opposite: A bunch of olds who know that nobody can take their position away from them so it doesn't matter what they do.

It's why it kinda works as a second chamber.
There's only a tiny pond between Denmark and the UK, and this is utterly flabbergasting to me, because it seems completely dysfunctional.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

an angry penguin posted:

Just fyi you're not allowed to say "gently caress the tories" in the chat

:(

Well they don't allow children on the platform.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

I fully expect at least one Lord to die from old age before the night is over.

I more expect that with all this going up and down to vote one of them will fall and break their hip

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's only a tiny pond between Denmark and the UK, and this is utterly flabbergasting to me, because it seems completely dysfunctional.

Yes

It works as long as you don't look at it to hard, or start asking questions about why it works. Labour started doing that in the last couple of years - they noticed the Government never showed up to opposition days (which are usually not binding), so they took the opportunity to make it binding (which is how we had today). It had never really happened before, but nobody said it couldn't so they did it.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

The Lords is supposed to be full of industry and sector experts who can weigh in on the technicality of bills from their expertise without having to pander to joe public. On occasion they'll send back bills because they just wouldn't work.

For this reason the Lords also has the hottest industry drinks receptions and networking events in Central London.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

Yes

It works as long as you don't look at it to hard, or start asking questions about why it works. Labour started doing that in the last couple of years - they noticed the Government never showed up to opposition days (which are usually not binding), so they took the opportunity to make it binding (which is how we had today). It had never really happened before, but nobody said it couldn't so they did it.
Ah, so the centipedes dilemma.
Given how that particular story ends, I fully expect the world to burn.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I peeked in on the Mail's website to see this take on all this - and surprisingly they're also taking the line that Boris is being a loving idiot and is ruining everything. They said his first PMQs was a "calamitous" disaster.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
why don't you just hang the ones who thought up brexit and then figure out what to do about it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

why don't you just hang the ones who thought up brexit and then figure out what to do about it
There seems to be a perfectly good guillotine, but which I'm not seeing used. :confuoot:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm watching the Lords stream now and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Are they voting on the amendments that just passed in the commons?

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I just wish we could get Terry Pratchetts commentary on this.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bardeh posted:

I'm watching the Lords stream now and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Are they voting on the amendments that just passed in the commons?

They are voting on amendments they could add to the bill. If passed, these amendments would need to be approved by the commons.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sloth Life posted:

Clearly I should prep for Brexit more, the moment I spend money it becomes less likely to happen.

Yeah but next time it snows you won't have to run out for bread and milk.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bardeh posted:

They seem to be voting by getting up and walking around, which seems less than ideal considering that it looks like at least some of them are so old and frail that they can barely move.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D. Ebdrup posted:

There seems to be a perfectly good guillotine, but which I'm not seeing used. :confuoot:

look bro i'd already written "hang" and if it's not obvious from my posting, I don't do "backstepf"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i feel like at this point i should stop trying to completely understand everything the gently caress that's going on and just let it all wash over me until someone can definitely say if we're hosed or not and in what way exactly, scheduled for approx. 2027

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

D. Ebdrup posted:

They seem to be voting by getting up and walking around, which seems less than ideal considering that it looks like at least some of them are so old and frail that they can barely move.

For this reason I hope they're not going to vote on every amendment on the order paper...

...all 86 of them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

look bro i'd already written "hang" and if it's not obvious from my posting, I don't do "backstepf"
Why not both?

Angepain posted:

i feel like at this point i should stop trying to completely understand everything the gently caress that's going on and just let it all wash over me until someone can definitely say if we're hosed or not and in what way exactly, scheduled for approx. 2027
Pretty sure we're hosed because nothing is being done about the environment, regardless of how much we may be hosed because of all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Pochoclo posted:

No Recall or Intervention can work in this place

There is no escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

I'm the Democratic Will of the People! How can you kill the Democratic Will of the People?! What a grand and intoxicating innocence!