Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Also you never know how good a hot meal is until you’ve lost power for 3 days and have only cold canned meat and soup for meals. A local Chinese place used a generator to reopen as soon as Irma passed and began selling hot food. There’s a palpable sense of relief and joy to going from a powerless stove and microwave to having a huge steaming plate of sliced pork and fried rice.

Keep in mind that they’re not making people operate during the disaster. Nobody is manning the building during 125 MPH winds in case a family of four crashes their SUV into the window trying to evacuate. They close when it’s dangerous and reopen to provide food once they can.

During Sandy we were without power for 2 weeks. It's easy to get sick of soup, peanut butter and crackers, etc. A pizza place was basically the only open restaurant in town. They made a killing. Having a hot meal every night was a great comfort, especially after cleaning trees and having nothing to shower in or take a bath in besides the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RCarr posted:

The only appropriate time for eating at a Waffle House is black out drunk at 3am. Even then you will regret it.

That and the morning after when you can't quite meet each other's gaze and you're trying to remember what you did, while the other half of your brain is trying its best to forget it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dick Trauma posted:

Back when I did 911 we were grateful for the Waffle House in our jurisdiction because it was a reliable generator of late night fistfights and stabbings. :cop:

Why, were you on commission?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Krankenstyle posted:

Lifting wallets from Waffle House patrons who were bleeding out?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Krankenstyle posted:

I'd guess bored.

Back when I was a taxi dispatcher I had to call the cops early one Sunday morning because a passenger wasn't willing to pay his driver. The police dispatcher said "Oh really! How many cars do you want? We've got a lot of bored cops sitting around." I think she ended up sending four or five squad cars. Scared the poo poo out of that passenger according to the driver, who was all smiles when he got back to the office.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
gently caress the police

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Only with a rubber.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

Back when I did 911 we were grateful for the Waffle House in our jurisdiction because it was a reliable generator of late night fistfights and stabbings. :cop:

People get weirdly protective of their hash browns & waffle batter, but it's WH & you can't really blame them because they're awesome

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElGroucho posted:

gently caress the police

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bored As gently caress posted:

During Sandy we were without power for 2 weeks. It's easy to get sick of soup, peanut butter and crackers, etc. A pizza place was basically the only open restaurant in town. They made a killing. Having a hot meal every night was a great comfort, especially after cleaning trees and having nothing to shower in or take a bath in besides the pool.

:smith::hf::smith:
Yeah, I had no power for 8 days, but still had propane for cooking and heating water, and had a fireplace for heating.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That's a hell of a strain on the wrist

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

He’s drawing it in ink not blood

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/cutiepiesensei/status/1168968150731436033?s=21

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

:smith::hf::smith:
Yeah, I had no power for 8 days, but still had propane for cooking and heating water, and had a fireplace for heating.

We had a big ice storm here about 10 years ago and we were without power for 9 or 10 days. Everyone in my family's house was knocked out except my mom's house. After two days staying there with the rest of my family, with heating and hot food and everything, we were extremely happy to go back to our house and sit in the cold and dark. I remember it wasn't so bad, kind of an interesting adventure, when our whole street was without power, but when all the houses around us got turned back on days before we did and we could see them sitting in their warm houses watching TV, that's when we started to get a little bitter.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

RCarr posted:

He’s drawing it in ink not blood

It's water dude but point stands

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Elephant vs rhino

https://i.imgur.com/AfOLczL.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOykG2Rb1Sc

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

rear end in a top hat Elephant looking for a fight.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Elephant vs rhino

Usually it takes an animal bored of being among the living to mess with a rhino, but this also gives an idea why every predator, lions included, absolutely yield when elephants show up to have a nice pick-nick at the watering hole.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1169644294350737408

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/paul_haine/status/1168953153158598656

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Usually it takes an animal bored of being among the living to mess with a rhino, but this also gives an idea why every predator, lions included, absolutely yield when elephants show up to have a nice pick-nick at the watering hole.

Accept for when lions attack and kill them, yes. Though I understand that's pretty drat rare.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rhinos are the 2nd largest land animal behind the elephant. And that size different is still so huge!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's interesting to see how elephants move quickly, it's more of a quick amble than a run- you just can't scale a normal gallop up to that mass without breaking something.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Accept for when lions attack and kill them, yes. Though I understand that's pretty drat rare.

Separated, sick and elderly or very young elephants usually. They have to be really desperate to try anything against full-grown healthy one with full set of tusks and going against the entire herd is a suicide mission.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/benonwine/status/1169346327798538242

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

a looping version of that would make a loving amazing phone wallpaper

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It's interesting to see how elephants move quickly, it's more of a quick amble than a run- you just can't scale a normal gallop up to that mass without breaking something.

Elephants are actually incapable of running, they have some of their feet on the ground at all times.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

wow very real #woah

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The synchronisation between the thunder and visible lightning is another clue.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Also the fact that the clouds are apparently moving tens of miles in a couple of seconds. Hurricanes don’t blow thousands of miles per hour on Earth.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Not yet

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Needs a black sharpie arrow showing the direction its going.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Can you count to seven?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njy7pMVKJ8Q

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/1170183538861400070

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I suspect shenanigans... loops too perfectly.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

ESA is the only 'exceptable' excuse for this.

Edit: ESL. Hoist by my own petard.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Sep 8, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Beachcomber posted:

ESA is the only 'exceptable' excuse for this.

If I had an emotional support animal that could type, I wouldn't complain.
Getting a GSA for my ESA would be pretty cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cable Guy posted:

I suspect shenanigans... loops too perfectly.

Yeah, and I was very confused by the way the drone moved after the guy put it out the window. One second it’s in the car and he’s looking into it, then the video is a blur for a split second, then the drone is hovering perfectly alongside the car right by the window.