Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
you dumb assholes

it's almost two cathedrals time

nobody has come out and been like hey i know and hate the west wing i wanna two cathedrals

Today's ep being published at 11:38pm local definitely has nothing to do with my state of mind

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That one particular line about how "I don't get 27 more votes than anyone else" is a particular stand-out because A. it's revealing of how un-democratic the free market actually is, and B. it's revealing of Sam's character that he'd actually want things to work that way

I'm going to gripe about it because I have (and I assume y'all have also had) conversations in which "voting with your wallet" has been brought up as an example of how we get to have our say within capitalism, and perhaps more specifically as an argument against regulations (or in favor of "market self-regulation") - if a company is behaving badly, then I can simply choose to patronize a different company, and makes capitalism democratic!

No, it doesn't loving work that way, because if soy sauce company X is making lovely soy sauce, your individual decision to buy from company Y instead isn't going to make a lick of difference compared to all the restaurants and cafeterias and corporations that company X acts as a supplier to. They're getting to make hundreds if not thousands of times more "votes" from you in terms of how much product they buy from company X, so it doesn't count.

And that's not counting the ability of the oligarchs to simply pour a zillion dollars into keeping the company afloat, giving them a huge marketing budget that they can flood the airwaves with ads about how their soy sauce is NOT lovely, letting them buy scientists who will write entire papers about how good their soy sauce objectively is, hiring security forces (both private and public) to infiltrate attempts by the soy sauce factory workers to organize, and so on and so forth.

It's completely ridiculous on its face to desire a system where one guy gets 27 times more votes than someone else on the basis of their wealth and still consider that a functional democracy, and not only does Sam operate under the assumption that that isn't already the society he lives in, he wants to make it explicit!

gently caress you Sam, and gently caress you Rob Lowe, when Bernie wins, just tweet that Seth Gillette speech at him over and over.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
In addition to drastically misjudging the imbalance of power between the two sides, "voting with your wallet" also makes the assumption that these markets are actually open and competitive, and not run like a loving cartel

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

And that you even buy from them directly in the first place. Want to boycott Koch Industries? Good luck, they make things for the people who make things for the people who make things for you to buy, they don't give two fucks what you think even if you did manage to subpoena the entire supply chain of every company you buy things from.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Just FYI we have not been missing recordings, we just decided to roll last week's episode and this week's into one glorious soon to be released Season 2 Finale Extravaganza Episode!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Sam making the argument is also rich because he's just the White House Communications Director, a role that is entirely disconnected from the productive output of the economy. Is income supposed to be a measure of worth to society? Aaron Sorkin is really bad for this, and he obviously believes that people are paid according to their objective value, which is maddeningly terrible as a position.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Little Death posted:

Sam making the argument is also rich because he's just the White House Communications Director, a role that is entirely disconnected from the productive output of the economy. Is income supposed to be a measure of worth to society? Aaron Sorkin is really bad for this, and he obviously believes that people are paid according to their objective value, which is maddeningly terrible as a position.

A reminder that his entire dumb argument is just to prevent ONE LINE from being added to a speech. A line saying billionaires are bad and greedy. And Sam puts the full force of his rhetorical skills and wit to ensure that he doesn't have to include that line because he's offended on the behalf of his fellow elites.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

Just FYI we have not been missing recordings, we just decided to roll last week's episode and this week's into one glorious soon to be released Season 2 Finale Extravaganza Episode!

I'm conflicted about the format. If I run all this poo poo together it's god drat 90 minutes long, NOBODY wants to listen to that much of us chuckling and slurring words

I'll see if I can rejigger it a bit or just put in a "SKIP TO THIS PART IF YOU DON'T FUGGIN CARE"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'm conflicted about the format. If I run all this poo poo together it's god drat 90 minutes long, NOBODY wants to listen to that much of us chuckling and slurring words

I'll see if I can rejigger it a bit or just put in a "SKIP TO THIS PART IF YOU DON'T FUGGIN CARE"

*in wise Solomon voice*

SPLIT THE EPISODE IN HALF! Each woman who is claiming to be the mother of the episode can keep one half.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

*in wise Solomon voice*

SPLIT THE EPISODE IN HALF! Each woman who is claiming to be the mother of the episode can keep one half.

*nodding sagely* 37

If you, want to buy me flowers, just go ahead now

and

If you, want to talk for hours, just go ahead now

because I know what a TV show ought not to beeee

I know what a TV show ought not to be

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

E: Nice, a big update, can't wait to listen.

You should do an episode about a hypothetical West Wing continuation or reboot, but reflective of our more enlightened perspective.

Bartlett is confronted with his connections to notorious pedophile John Liebsten and answers with a quotation, in the original Greek, of the philosopher Thales on the merits of pederasty. Sam Seaborn's Pod Darn It spends months investigating Russian interference in US elections but frustratingly keeps turning up Israeli ops. Toby struggles to ratfuck the popular Gillette primary campaign. Santos deals with adrenochrome withdrawals.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

yess it's time for two cathedrals

younger me held this epsisode up as everything television should be and everything a man should be

I'd like to hit younger me in the skull with an aluminum trash can

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What gets me is, FDR hid his polio for most of his Presidency. Or, at least, the extent of his suffering. There is a precedent!

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
FDR had an agenda and did things. I don't see how this relates to Bartlett at all.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MonsieurChoc posted:

What gets me is, FDR hid his polio for most of his Presidency. Or, at least, the extent of his suffering. There is a precedent!

That had nothing on Woodrow Wilson and his wife

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TheChirurgeon posted:

That had nothing on Woodrow Wilson and his wife

yeah lol edith galt was functionally president for a long time, and Wilson got hosed up by spanish flu and a UTI as well even after the stroke.

dude was drat near dead for the last 18 months of his presidency.

my pre-escalator brain would have said "mercifully all this happened after the war concluded" but gently caress, maybe Edith Galt would have made an excellent president who knows.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I listened to episodes 0-8 on a road trip and am really enjoying this, having never really watched the show.

I in particular like it more than the other left critique podcast of the West Wing with a co-host named Dave.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Zenithe posted:

I in particular like it more than the other left critique podcast of the West Wing with a co-host named Dave.

It is better, and WAY more listenable. I appreciate that you guys actually seem to know how microphones work and the sound levels remain steady vs that other West Wing podcast where they oscillate between shouting and inaudible as they move towards and away from the mics repeatedly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zenithe posted:

I listened to episodes 0-8 on a road trip and am really enjoying this, having never really watched the show.

Acinonyx posted:

It is better, and WAY more listenable. I appreciate that you guys actually seem to know how microphones work and the sound levels remain steady vs that other West Wing podcast where they oscillate between shouting and inaudible as they move towards and away from the mics repeatedly.

Thanks for the awesome nice comments! :shobon:

Also I got a newer, much more high quality microphone, so the next episode should have my half sounding a lot better!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Acinonyx posted:

wow lol this is as surprising as it is kind, thank you

I'm super conscious of how my voice flies all over the range and I try to maintain discipline so I'm glad to know it works. I also do some audacity magic to normalize out spikes in volume

my challenge for the new season will be not mumbleslurring complex words. I was p bad this last time and although I've become comfortable with listening to my voice on tape, not enunciating is utterly infuriating to listen to

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
NEW AND IMPROVED

NOW WITH LESS CLIPPING

25% MORE WAMPA

It's time to pretend like Isaac & Ishmael didn't happen

and I'm out early this week, hurray!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Lawrence/status/1164759966470721536

gently caress off, Larry.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I only watched the last two seasons of the Worst Wing because of the election storyline. I'm part of the problem.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Imagine being Lawrence and thinking that plot made sense pre-trump. Oh no, you have offended these loving lunatics; the decorum of it all! Meanwhile no one has ever given a poo poo if a conservative says some wild poo poo that offends Democrats. You have to be Steve King level crazy to get even mild consequences as a Republican (because he finally started offending Republicans).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I finally caught up to the Two Cathedrals extravaganza and I wanted to throw out there that Bartlett smoking the cig and stubbing it out in church was a deliberate shot at his dad, who falsely accused him of smoking in church in one of the flashbacks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The whole MS thing remains funny to me, considering Woodrow Wilson, FDR, Reagan and now Trump.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I finally caught up to the Two Cathedrals extravaganza and I wanted to throw out there that Bartlett smoking the cig and stubbing it out in church was a deliberate shot at his dad, who falsely accused him of smoking in church in one of the flashbacks.

Ah, good catch. To put it in the words of Fight Club:

Tyler Durden:
Shut up! Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God?

Narrator:
No, no, I... don't...

Tyler Durden:
Listen to me! You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The whole MS thing remains funny to me, considering Woodrow Wilson, FDR, Reagan and now Trump.

Well considering Bartlet (spoilers) ultimately wins re-election easily, it makes all their panicking look totally foolish.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
The Bartlet Dad God Religion rabbit hole is a fun diversion, as I mentioned I hope the writers are good enough that it was deliberate to basically frame up a bunch of borderline blasphemy after his speech

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
happy fake labor day all who work for their bread

Bucolic Campaign Launch Stereotype! How is it that Americans identify with this garbage?

in 2019 my takeaway from the extreme cynicism and personal identity challenges that festoon this particular episode is that electoralism is utter folly

of course that's been my takeaway from the last... 9 years so hey imagine that

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ron Silver was the bad guy in Time Cop, as immortalized in Heat Vision and Jack.

Edit: For those who don't know what I'm taling about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-4mBbTUDq0
Later on, someone recognizes Ron Silver as "You were the bad guy in Time Cop!"

MonsieurChoc has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Aug 29, 2019

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
as mentioned, rip in peace, but Ron Silver's politics followed the arc of Bruno's from decent liberalish to proto-chud zionist bloodgargler. 9/11 broke him like many others

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember whichever of you recommended Can You Ever Forgive Me, but I watched it tonight and was completely riveted. I bawled like a baby at Jersey passing and Jack's AIDS, but it was a cathartic movie.

Thank you.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't remember whichever of you recommended Can You Ever Forgive Me, but I watched it tonight and was completely riveted. I bawled like a baby at Jersey passing and Jack's AIDS, but it was a cathartic movie.

Thank you.

i hyped up richard e grant a lot for a few months after seeing it because that last scene is crushing but the movie itself is very good.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:cheers:

I was pleasantly surprised as well. I feel like Melissa McCarthy's resume mitigates way too much against her moving out of comedic roles even though she's CLEARLY talented enough to do so

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I think I hate the west wing and also Aaron Sorkin

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Now that we're into the arc where our big strong dad is running for re-election, we'll finally learn something about his agenda!
Oh wait, nope, he's still the most centrist, useless, decorum infested poo poo and has no actual motivation beyond ego.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Wemus posted:

I think I hate the west wing and also Aaron Sorkin

https://twitter.com/StevePasquale/status/1169369602847121410
https://twitter.com/AlyssaFafel/status/1169416360738340864
https://twitter.com/AniCorne/status/1169424432093388800

just go down that thread to die instantly

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Thanks, I hate it!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Acinonyx posted:

Now that we're into the arc where our big strong dad is running for re-election, we'll finally learn something about his agenda!
Oh wait, nope, he's still the most centrist, useless, decorum infested poo poo and has no actual motivation beyond ego.

lol remember when he bitched about leo always holding him back and leading him to the middle blah blah blah and then they decided to "let bartlet be bartlet" and ... NOTHING
radical centrism at its best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Reminder: the people who think Bartlett is the ideal president also uncritically repeat the meme that Bernie has never accomplished anything.