Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Delthalaz posted:

What happens if the queen doesn’t give her assent to a law?

Then Parliament needs 50%+1 to abolish the Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

Very much a nuclear option and one that Johnson would have to ask her to do.
Which'd mean him asking her to pick a side as suddenly she'd have to do something.

Which way she'd jump then? Who knows.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Someone on twitch chat saying 10 amendments voted on right now, 90 remaining.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

lol I don't know if I'm ever going to recover from Bojo getting triple hosed in his first three days.

Also who the gently caress were the three Labour MPs who voted for an early election?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

PittTheElder posted:

Then Parliament needs 50%+1 to abolish the Queen

I guess I mean hypothetically - - wouldn't the queen need to give her assent to the law abolishing the queen?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh wow I think the tory lords gave up on their fillibuster. Or something happened. They are wrapping things up for the night.

Edit- Lord Adonis says the government caved and some kind of deal was made

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1169406626366971904?s=20

marktheando fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 5, 2019

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

marktheando posted:

Oh wow I think the tory lords gave up on their fillibuster. Or something happened. They are wrapping things up for the night.

Seems like they reached an agreement to all go home and a totally NEW (but the same) programme motion to be laid tomorrow.

Not sure if the Tory peers have agreed not to trying amending that also

yeah actually as above

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/1169405535998943232

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Finally found some bitter in my neighborhood liquor store but it's Boddies which pisses me off because it's brewed in loving Luton now and the gorgeous old brewery got demolished.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Thank god for the tory lords all being a million years old and needing their beds

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've actually met one of the Labour Lords. He wasn't a Lord yet when we met, though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Delthalaz posted:

Constitutional crisis of a degree not seen since the 17th century. Probably, Parliament passes some emergency measure stripping the need for her to do so (Likely by some fiction like "Actually the Queen HAS given permission, as proven by the presence of The Mace in this House" or something equally wild) and we're on course for abolition

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What exactly is the Queen "allowed" to do in profound parliamentary crises like this? I get that the role of the monarchy is basically ceremonial and there'd be Deep poo poo if ever a monarch tried to actually involve themselves in parliamentary business, but is there any room for them to privately suggest "I know I'm not supposed to interfere but this is bullshit please sort it out for the good of the country"?

Like, didn't George V do something along those lines in 1909-10 by telling the Tories if they didn't vote to strip powers from the House of Lords he'd ennoble enough random Liberals to allow Lloyd George to pass his People's Budget so shut the gently caress up and die in the dark already?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Delthalaz posted:

I guess I mean hypothetically - - wouldn't the queen need to give her assent to the law abolishing the queen?

It might, depending on how they do it, but it sure didn't save Charles.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 5, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OddObserver posted:

If you pardon this ignorant American for asking, what would it take to get rid of the whole "House of Lords" thing?

(Though in some ways, the U.S. Senate might be worse...)

The Lords is fine, and replacing it with an elected chamber would not be an improvement. It’s much cooler-headed and more sensible than the commons because it’s not so strongly party-political - see how they actually reached a compromise tonight.

As mentioned before ITT, a lot of the Lords are subject matter experts who perform a useful role in scrutinising bad legislation. Electing the Lords would just make it another chamber full of braying idiots and we’ve already got one of those.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Finally found some bitter in my neighborhood liquor store but it's Boddies which pisses me off because it's brewed in loving Luton now and the gorgeous old brewery got demolished.

It'd need a proper no poo poo we have nothing else brexit to get me to drink Boddington's again in this day and age. Rather have canned carling

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

wow that's a lot of votes for the lib-dems

this but... unironically?

still the only major explicitly pro-remain party lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this but... unironically?

still the only major explicitly pro-remain party lol

lol Labour are just as pro-remain as the Lib "No Deal should be an option in a second referendum" Dems if not more so

and in case you don't realise younger voters skew heavily for Labour, like >60% of under 30s

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Literally last week the Lib Dems refused to back a Corbyn caretaker government, the entire purpose of which would be to apply for another extension and call an election.

At the time, it was the safest way to prevent No Deal, because nobody would have predicted that Boris would have hosed it this badly. The Lib Dems care more about their own electoral prospects than they do about Brexit.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Reforming the House of Lords is generally not very popular in the House of Commons, so it doesn’t happen. It’s not popular because electing the Lords gives them legitimacy, and therefore more power, power that the Commons would then lose.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What about just abolishing it and being unicameral, though?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Reforming the House of Lords is generally not very popular in the House of Commons, so it doesn’t happen. It’s not popular because electing the Lords gives them legitimacy, and therefore more power, power that the Commons would then lose.

Unicameral legislatures are a thing... :shrug:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lycus posted:

What about just abolishing it and being unicameral, though?

The actual reason is just inertia. Nobody wants to waste political capital on constitutional reform except the Lib Dems.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the Commons has not exactly covered itself in glory over recent years and the Lords remains an effective chamber of review

at some future point its role might evolve toward emphasizing the power to propose amendments to the Commons, since its other powers have steadily dribbled away over time anyway

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

forkboy84 posted:

The actual reason is just inertia. Nobody wants to waste political capital on constitutional reform except the Lib Dems.

I'm sorry, but I was told by leftist uspol posters that political capital wasn't real and only a excuse used by those in power to deny the poor anything that would actually really help them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's real but it doesn't necessarily work the way it's often advertised. And it's possible to spend it in a way that gains you more of it in the long run.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQnOL_T6rc0

late night tunes: armalite rifle - gang of four

some 70s IRA nostalgia

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

ThanosWasRight posted:

I'm sorry, but I was told by leftist uspol posters that political capital wasn't real and only a excuse used by those in power to deny the poor anything that would actually really help them.
You were told right. Political capital as conceived of by American liberals and, I guess probably, British Liberal Democrats, doesn't really exist. To them, it's a thing bestowed upon the winner of an election in some finite quantity as determined by the margins of the victory, and is a resource you use to govern. I suppose in the case of parliamentary democracy you also get political capital by really super cleverly manipulating the political system to achieve some symbolic victory or sick but ultimately toothless owns or some other stupid poo poo like the lib dems in 2010. But you must be careful! If you spend too much of it frivolously doing things that the people want, you will run out and then find yourself unable to govern. Also probably some of these broke-brained idiots think political capital accumulates interest or something so there is another reason not to spend too much of it.

In reality of course when you win an election what you get is a mandate from the people that voted for you to do the things that they elected you to do and that you promised to do to win their vote, and if you don't bust your rear end to make all those things happen ASAFP or have a really loving good reason that you couldn't which you communicate clearly to them, you will lose the support of those people, and your opponents will know it, and they will take the opportunity to gently caress you over and make you look feckless and incompetent so you lose the next election. Which won't be hard. And then they'll ban poor people and minorities and throw them in camps or maybe something worse while you cluck about decorum. Because you are feckless and incompetent, after all, being the sort of hopeless loser rear end in a top hat who believes in "political capital" like it's a factory or something, you idiot. You loving moron.

Anyway yeah political capital. Boy, I don't know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Specifically nobody's going to win an election on lords reform so doing it is going to be perceived as timewasting. See: the AV referendum.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"political capital" makes sense as a concept in a legislative environment that is focused on dealmaking and you only have so much you can offer before you lose support.

In modern American politics it's a dead.concept.because modern American politics is winner take all and no dealmaking is possible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Surprised I didn't see this on the Sun Front cover today.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

Specifically nobody's going to win an election on lords reform so doing it is going to be perceived as timewasting. See: the AV referendum.

he needs a box of depends, not a revoking of his peerage

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
the 1999 lords recommendations were great, and the top two would go a long way to making for a good second chamber
  • It should have around 550 members of which 65, 87 or 195 should be elected.
  • There should be an independent Appointments Commission responsible for all appointments.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

What's more meant in the British conception of political capital is Legislative time and effort. If you're writing bills to abolish the lords and presenting them to the media, defending them, editing bills etc.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Like, didn't George V do something along those lines in 1909-10 by telling the Tories if they didn't vote to strip powers from the House of Lords he'd ennoble enough random Liberals to allow Lloyd George to pass his People's Budget so shut the gently caress up and die in the dark already?
Why yes, he did. But in 1911.
It also allowed for further progress regarding the Irish Home Rule Question, sadly that was bypassed by WW1.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Are these old fuckers really still awake and debating poo poo at 5 AM UK time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thread does probably hover around 30 average age but I don't think that's really an old fucker.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sapozhnik posted:

Nah they came to some sort of deal a few hours ago and wrapped up, something like 1:30 or 2am. Not sure what that deal was but wouldn't have been agreed to if Lab wasn't mostly okay with it. Plus of course the Lords as a whole don't have to give a gently caress about re-election so if they think Boris is a wanker and/or No Deal Brexit is a doubleplusungood idea they can pretty much just tell the Brexiteers to do one. Probably helped sway some Tory Lords a bit.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Sapozhnik posted:

I can’t sleep until I know we’re getting an election.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Chuka Umana posted:

I can’t sleep until I know we’re getting an election.

Hasn't Corbyn ruled it out until the extension? You'll go as mad as I am waiting 'til then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I can't wait for the tory BXP split to crush the government