Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The stream was still up a little while earlier and it said 05:00 in the corner. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Greetings from Stansted Airport where I am hungry, hungover and incredibly loving tired

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Saw a couple leave signs at a picture of a protest over there. Aware this has been covered ad nauseum. One was obviously stupid. "63% of constituencies voted leave", obviously Brexit was a popular vote referendum not by constituency as Brexiteers keenly remind everyone, and Remain has been winning Leave/Remain polling the last few years. The 2nd one I wanted more context on, to see if it's as catastrophically stupid as it seems. "Remain MPs are the only obstacle to a good deal". Most political discussions are normative, rather than empirical, so it's rare that major assertions can be empirically disproven, but this statement should be one of them. Even pretending the sign actually means "Remain MPs are the biggest obstacle to a good deal to leave the EU", while not absolutely positively disproven yet, is more absurd than ever. After years of increasingly serious threats to leave without a deal, the EU have moved none of their red lines. Even with under 2 months left, a harder line PM, prorogued parliament and (until perhaps today) uncertainty whether parliament could pass a delay, still no EU red lines moved.

Let's say hypothetically BJ won the GE and had a strong pro no-deal majority, EU-UK negotiations continue with Remain MPs unable to do anything to stop a crash out and still, as expected, no better deal is forthcoming and no EU red lines move. That situation begs the question, at what point would they admit that the EU is the biggest obstacle to a 'better' (in their eyes) deal, not Remain MPs? After the crash out? 1 second before? 5 minutes before? 5 days before? Or are they so emotionally invested in the idea most of them can simply never admit it?

It seems to me the only scenarios where most of the true believers who blame Remain MPs for lack of a 'better' deal could ever admit to being wrong are scenarios where Britain actually does crash out without one. I don't see any way they could learn from their mistake in time to avoid it. They've become impervious to that sort of rational updating. Which is a drat shame. It reminds me a lot of hardcore Trumpistas in the US unable to admit the trade war is doing serious harm to the economy. The only way a lot of them can admit the trade war isn't worth it (at least the way Trump has fought it) is if the economy actually suffers a serious recession as a result. In both cases the catastrophe has to actually occur in its full magnitude in order for the mental stimulus to be strong enough to overcome the delusions of its true believers.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 5, 2019

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Greetings from Stansted Airport where I am hungry, hungover and incredibly loving tired

have a crumbly scone and some tea, always works.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Eregos posted:

It seems to me the only scenarios where most of the true believers who blame Remain MPs for lack of a 'better' deal could ever admit to being wrong are scenarios where Britain actually does crash out without one. I don't see any way they could learn from their mistake in time to avoid it. They've become impervious to that sort of rational updating. Which is a drat shame. It reminds me a lot of hardcore Trumpistas in the US unable to admit the trade war is doing serious harm to the economy. The only way a lot of them can admit the trade war isn't worth it (at least the way Trump has fought it) is if the economy actually suffers a serious recession as a result. In both cases the catastrophe has to actually occur in its full magnitude in order for the mental stimulus to be strong enough to overcome the delusions of its true believers.
How naively optimistic.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m in GMT+7 rn, it’s nice to see other people in the thread before mid afternoon.

Re political capital, IMO it’s more like a badboy counter in a paradox game: how much you can get away with before everyone else drops their squabbling to kick your poo poo in.

For an example of what a political leader running out of political capital looks like, see Johnson, B.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

wocobob posted:

Do the Lords ever do anything of consequence? Watching this from the US it sort of seems like they're just the US Senate but without any real point and even more undemocratic.

I saw a few posts like this so I am not picking on yours specifically, but the House of Lords while unelected is essentially harmless, kinda like the Sovereign, since unlike the US Senate they can't block all useful legislation or stack the UK courts with 25 year old Heritage Foundation interns with the support of about 30-40 percent of the electorate. They can, at most, delay legislation slightly.

The biggest quandary in the UK system right now is that there really isn't a system, just a bunch of gentleman's agreements to be broken.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

frumpykvetchbot posted:

have a crumbly scone and some tea, always works.

Had a "bacon butty" from Burger King which was absolute rank. Now just heading to the pub because of course

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Blinks77 posted:

Very much a nuclear option and one that Johnson would have to ask her to do.
Which'd mean him asking her to pick a side as suddenly she'd have to do something.

Which way she'd jump then? Who knows.

I think if Johnson advised her to deny royal assent, she'd break two of his fingers and inform him that if he wants to keep the other eight then he's changing his advice right loving now.

She really, really doesn't want to be put in a position of having to make an active decision that half the country will hate

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SimmsMelanie/status/1169212494130421761

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Found you a new thread title. You're welcome.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

jesus christ this is a pretty insane

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

loving hell

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

Seems like they reached an agreement to all go home and a totally NEW (but the same) programme motion to be laid tomorrow.

Not sure if the Tory peers have agreed not to trying amending that also

yeah actually as above

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/1169405535998943232

They're lying though.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I find myself accidentally having some hope. Could someone tell me why this:

isn’t as cut and dried as it says, so I can go back to my normal comforting state of semi-controlled panic mixed with weary resignation?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Lone Badger posted:

They're lying though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sanford posted:

isn’t as cut and dried as it says, so I can go back to my normal comforting state of semi-controlled panic mixed with weary resignation?

The tories are going to go right back to filibustering tomorrow, having wasted one full day already and being able to start from the top.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...

Sanford posted:

Hope is the pathway to disappointment.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Re: the Queen not signing a law: the Belgian king refused to sign a law on abortion in 1990, so they suspended him for a day. Perhaps something similar could be done in the UK?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Martian posted:

Re: the Queen not signing a law: the Belgian king refused to sign a law on abortion in 1990, so they suspended him for a day. Perhaps something similar could be done in the UK?

I suggest suspension from a gallows, a day should be plenty

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guardian's saying that they've agreed to send it back to the commons by 5pm Friday:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...py_to_clipboard

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Guardian's saying that they've agreed to send it back to the commons by 5pm Friday:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...py_to_clipboard

I’m skeptical. What if they’re just doing this so that the idiot blairites in Labour and the libshits pass the election vote and then the Lords just go “lol psyke, filibuster forever now”

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pochoclo posted:

I’m skeptical. What if they’re just doing this so that the idiot blairites in Labour and the libshits pass the election vote and then the Lords just go “lol psyke, filibuster forever now”

You’d host a special commons vote and threaten to bypass them

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Total Meatlove posted:

You’d host a special commons vote and threaten to bypass them

Is there enough time left for this though? I thought poo poo was super tight

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Apparently the latest galaxy brain idea out of Cummings is that Johnson proposes and supports a VONC on himself.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Friday 5pm does seem suspicious as gently caress.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I can't wait for the tory BXP split to crush the government

Same but LD Lab

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Necrothatcher posted:

Apparently the latest galaxy brain idea out of Cummings is that Johnson proposes and supports a VONC on himself.

Does Parliament still get prorogued if there has been a VONC in the meantime and we're in the 14 day "form a new government" period?

Eregos posted:

Lol that you think that they won't still claim that we didn't Brexit hard enough

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Necrothatcher posted:

Put a bangin' VONC on me

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Eregos posted:

. In both cases the catastrophe has to actually occur in its full magnitude in order for the mental stimulus to be strong enough to overcome the delusions of its true believers.

Nah they'll just come up with a stab-in-the-back myth.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

This would be so hilarious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

The Lords is fine, and replacing it with an elected chamber would not be an improvement. It’s much cooler-headed and more sensible than the commons because it’s not so strongly party-political - see how they actually reached a compromise tonight.

As mentioned before ITT, a lot of the Lords are subject matter experts who perform a useful role in scrutinising bad legislation. Electing the Lords would just make it another chamber full of braying idiots and we’ve already got one of those.
The Lords isn't fine, it's massive compared to any other upper house, and it's full of old fucks who were mates/nonces with some previous cabinet member from the 70s and got made a life peer and now just show up to claim expenses. Also members given representation purely on account of their ordained religious role, which would generally not be okay outside of an actual religious organization or, say, Iran. Also they have gently caress all useful power, which is good given their lack of legitimacy, but not necessarily what you want from a chamber of account and review.

It's better than a directly elected upper house, but that's a bit of a canard, like whenever someone suggests scrapping the monarchy people say "oh, so you want an elected president with all the powers of an 18th century monarch then?" (They usually don't say exactly that, but it's clear that they mean American President and not Irish President or similar.) A better option would be some kind of Council of Provinces where every UK region gets 35 people they can send, there's some assumed minimum level of qualifications, and they aren't directly elected, but rather the Scottish Parliament/Welsh Assembly/East Midlands Councils Executive Board appoints them. You'd still get a bunch of people's mates, but at least they might be people's mates who met somewhere other than London, and at least there wouldn't be 800 of them bumbling around with no power but to delay things.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Necrothatcher posted:

You... you what m8

Ah wait I think I get it. If he gets a bangin' VONC put on him then deliberately doesn't put together a new government (And assumes Jezza can't which is one big assumption even from Cummies lol) it winds the clock down by two weeks and then gives us an election.

Can't see fifty five different ways THAT could blow up in their faces

goomsnarr posted:

Hope is the pathway to disappointment.

The quote is "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

:goonsay:
:40ksay:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:laffo:

UK rapidly approaching tinpot dictatorship status here

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

painted into a coroner posted:

The Lib Dems care more about their own electoral prospects than they do about Brexit.
This is true of every single politician holding any position in any country where-ever - because the problem isn't that power corrupts, it's that power attracts the corruptible who then work to stay in power so they can become more corrupt.

:laffo:
They really want to gently caress everything forever, don't they.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lords is difficult because the review chamber basically is supposed to be full of "good" people, but of course that's also the theoretical desire of the lower house as well so the question becomes if you can make the upper chamber magically good then why not the lower?

So you're instead end up with it just being different. Unelectedness is a desirable counterpoint to the problems of electoral politics but it offers minimal guarantee of quality, especially when, as noted, it's stuffed full of all the old nonce PM's mates.

I dunno that there really is a good solution though there are options for other things you could try to get the chamber representative of.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just grab a random sampling of say 20 people from each region every few years and make 'em do it like jury duty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That also works as possibly a better option for running local government than either elections or letting the territorials do it.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Necrothatcher posted:

The Opposition has full confidence in the abilities of the current PM, and wish him the best of luck with his current and future difficulties

Putting things in the delicate hands of the TA. Let a hundred Mark Francoises bloom, I'm looking forward to getting beaten with rubber truncheons for putting the recycling in the wrong bin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So I guess the government plan here is to cave on this bill to meet Corybn's requirement, and get another GE vote before progation? Then if he still refuses an election before Oct 31st they can keep filling the papers with their chicken-themed propaganda.