Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's not the size of the worm that matters, it's the motion of the sand-ocean.

Remember to pound away arythmically as not to attract more worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Fremen girls do it without rhythm

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

exmachina posted:

Fremen girls do it without rhythm

*are done

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's absolutely no reason a Stillsuit doesn't go with a cowboy hat

And who could really judge a Fremen warrior if he wore his Maula 'cowboy style' in a holster on the hip?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
so we can agree that fremen are basically islamic cowboy samurai

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Remember to pound away arythmically as not to attract more worms

It's kind of like how if a bunch of people gently caress to the same pace on a bridge they can topple it due to shared collective rhythm. So as long as you gently caress sandy fremen women in 3/8 and they back the rear end up in 4/4 shai hulud will never find you!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 1, 2019

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's kind of like how if a bunch of people gently caress to the same pace on a bridge they can topple it due to shared collective rhythm. So as long as you gently caress sandy fremen women in 3/8 and they back the rear end up in 4/4 shai hulud will never find you!

I remember, they told us this when i was in the army.
We made sure to cross the bridges first, after that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hello fellow sandpeople, please do not create resonance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZNjbWy6c7c

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Here's an image I took in 2004 atop one of the larger dunes in an area south of Florence, OR. These are the places where Herbert got his original idea for the novel, based on anti-desertification projects that were taking place near coastal Oregon towns with the seeding of certain flora that hemmed in shifting sands.

I had just read the book for the first time about 2 years earlier.

That's an awesome picture, given the location and timing of it.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Absolutely

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Leto II get off that bridge!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kiimo posted:

No Leto II get off that bridge!

Royal Rascal nooooooo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's an awesome picture, given the location and timing of it.

Thanks yo

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Hey Dune thread, read this:

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So I just got time to sit down and listen to the new Tool album, and the third track is called litanie contre la peur or (you guessed it) Litany against Fear

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

beer is the wine killer

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

beer is the wine killer

beer is the mind chiller

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

beer is the little gut that brings total humiliation

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass into me and through me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is doing what Heinlein did in The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, which can be paraphrased as "filing off the serial numbers and presenting an old story as new", appropriation?
Because that seems to me to be what Herbert did, by borrowing concepts which he thought expressive and interesting, and using them in a context set so remotely from its sources that the people in the books don't even remember them.
In a similar vein, I don't think of Minnesota Vikings are appropriating anything from my country, despite the fact that people from :denmark:, ie. men, women and children and not just Vikings which was an occupation, did actually settle in Great Vinland at one point, a long time before Christopher Columbus falsely laid claim to everything.

Having said, Herbert was never shy about admitting that he took inspiration from all manner of sources, up to and including his own previous books which have story-beats that are almost scene-for-scene recreations.

Also, some of the points seem particularly to reach a bit far - for example, the colors mentioned in the articles seem to forget that the hawk is explicitly red on the Atreides crest, which as someone in this thread (I'm sorry, I forgot who it was that said it) rightly observed make the color scheme closer to that of the pan-African.

The piece seems to end with a call for getting more people to read the book, and while I certainly will stand behind anyone who wants to get more people to read books, I don't think the best way to go about it is to spend what feels like an inordinate amount of an article saying "this author stole all of these things about his books from this author", because given sufficient time anyone can do that until we run out of books and have to refer to now-forgotten oral histories.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is doing what Heinlein did in The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, which can be paraphrased as "filing off the serial numbers and presenting an old story as new", appropriation?
The piece seems to end with a call for getting more people to read the book, and while I certainly will stand behind anyone who wants to get more people to read books, I don't think the best way to go about it is to spend what feels like an inordinate amount of an article saying "this author stole all of these things about his books from this author", because given sufficient time anyone can do that until we run out of books and have to refer to now-forgotten oral histories.
Except this explicitly stated paragraph:

quote:

Why is Blanch’s influence on Dune worth recognizing? Celebrating Blanch is not a means to discredit Herbert, whose imaginative novel transcends the sum of its influences. But Dune remains massively popular while The Sabres of Paradise languishes in relative obscurity, and renewed public interest in Blanch’s forgotten history would be a welcome development.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Except this explicitly stated paragraph:
That part comes after 8 rather long paragraphs explaining all the things that the articles author seems to suggest that Frank Herbert stole, since they end their first paragraph with an accusation of appropriation.

The article could've easily been written starting out with describing the The Sabres of Paradise historical and thematic strengths, and ending on a note along the lines of "And isn't it cool that this, this other thing, as well as this third thing and even this forth thing are things, which we can demonstrate by mentioning this, that, and some other thing, inspired Frank Herbert in writing his Dune series?"

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 3, 2019

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
This is a better read:
http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Some of those comments are rough lmao

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tertius Oculum posted:

Some of those comments are rough lmao

There's only 12 comments when I looked at it, and they all seemed pretty normal and fine except for this specimen:

quote:

Also I always thought of the Harkonnens as being like Russians with nothing else to go on other than the name of Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. Recently my suspicion was confirmed when reading a story about the Dune™ franchise board game in which the player who is the Harkonnen has the advantage of using turncoats as spies against their opponents (sort of like Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn and just just about anyone else who took an oath of loyalty to protect President Trump). Now with this source based on mid-19th century accounts of the Crimean War we see the players consisting of Russian-backed Cossack Christians and indigenous fanatic Islamic tribes of the Caucasus region. Nowhere in "Dune" do we find Jews but I think the palace on the planet Arrakis that is occupied by the House of Atreides represents a Judahite royal palace, circa late 8th to early 7th century B. C. E. In the book "Dune" this palace has palm trees growing within the perimeter and though there is no evidence of royal gardens on the precincts of Judah's royal palaces (like the Neo-Assyrian royal palaces of the same period), the building's architecture had representations of palmettes on the capitols of the pillars that flanked the entrance.

The bolded part is some particularly galaxy-brain level thinking (clearly Herbert had access to the melange giving him foreknowledge of the 2016 election).

Also a part about Jews because of course there's a part about Jews.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Dune board game rules, and it has nothing to do with maga chuds. gently caress that piece of poo poo.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
"With their palm trees, it reminds me of the gardens of Judea, except they didn't have palm trees. Their non-Jewish contemporaries did though, so my point still stands."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

quote:

Frank Herbert's 1963 Dune is to science fiction what The Lord of The Rings is to fantasy: the most popular, most influential and most critically-acclaimed novel in the genre. Herbert's novel was a revelation: before Dune, even the most well-written science fiction had been mostly "wonderful gadget" stories, or political commentary expressed through exaggeration. It had never occurred to anyone that science fiction could offer the literary depth of Dostoevsky, the intricate "wheels within wheels" intrigues of Shakespeare or so deeply fulfill the heroic epic form behind Gilgamesh, The Odyssey, Le Morte D'Arthur, The Mahabharata, and Beowulf.

:laffo:

I love Dune, it was definitely a formative novel for me, but come onnnnnnn. Both More Than Human and The Stars My Destination came out more than a decade before Dune and neither were "wonderful gadget" stories, and while I enjoy and acknowledge the scope of Dune's vision its prose doesn't come close to what the 50s authors were doing with the Science Fantasy of their decade. More Than Human is loving literature

Plus, Sturgeon invented Killdozer, which goons should appreciate.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
or Asimov's Foundation series...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Poor doggo.

:(

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201..._medium=Twitter

"It sucks water vapor out of air, even in the desert, and then releases it as liquid water."

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Eastbound Spider posted:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201..._medium=Twitter

"It sucks water vapor out of air, even in the desert, and then releases it as liquid water."

Ha I used to service those back at Tosche Station. Between those things and power converters I never had a free moment.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Wrong desert scifi

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
holy poo poo if that tech kicks off you can basically have free water and free fuel, as long as you have electricity and time. It can literally pull CO2 out of the air and form it into methanol fuel. You literally do not need water supply at all and just need to deal with sewage.

There is also research in thermal batteries, as in your air conditioner stores the summer heat and releases it in winter

not to pull politics into gbs, but berns said medicare for all and free school. He also had a thing i just saw today where uncle sam will give you a favorable loan for enough solar panels to run all your poo poo. You pay back this loan over a few years but it is never more than what your electric bill already is, and the panels could last 20 years past that

loving incredible. We might really be able to get out of this climate change thing. If you had enough land and a big enough chunk of cash to start with you could essentially never have to work except for food and any taxes or insurance, and maintenance. On a personal basis you would be carbon neutral. Probably the fuel output is low as hell and no normal car would run off of it, but still. Unreal.

Too bad almost nobody will have enough money to buy in.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Nowhere in "Dune" do we find Jews

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's only 12 comments when I looked at it, and they all seemed pretty normal and fine except for this specimen:

The bolded part is some particularly galaxy-brain level thinking (clearly Herbert had access to the melange giving him foreknowledge of the 2016 election).

Also a part about Jews because of course there's a part about Jews.

This guy is just fantastically, hilariously, mega wrong. An almost perfect specimen of the stupidest possible human has crossbred with an anti-prescient to create MAGAman.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

phasmid posted:

Nowhere in "Dune" do we find Jews

Yeah I saw that, started to write a reply and then asked myself what the gently caress I was doing

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

This guy is just fantastically, hilariously, mega wrong. An almost perfect specimen of the stupidest possible human has crossbred with an anti-prescient to create MAGAman.

It is just the first step on the Golden Shower Path.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The great scattering is the next step on the golden shower path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

its cool the casting for the movie seems to be going for mostly an African persuasion thing.

gonna be weird to have the white kid dominating them tho.