Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

How do you store that many comics? I've seen lots of folks just have boxes and boxes of comics that get filed into the attic or some storage space somewhere. I actually enjoy reading and re-reading the books I buy and I think if I went the single-issue route I'd be more worried about ruining them and storing them than reading them. That's not meant to be a criticism as I find the hobby fascinating.

Every year I do a cull of stuff I know I won't read again, or didn't particularly enjoy. I try keep my storage manageable. Also having a spare room helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

Doomsday Clock is a big ol' mess. :sweatdrop:

I believe someone here coined the phrase "Cargo Cult Watchmen" to describe it, and it continues to be accurate. if anything, it's even more blatant this issue, and it certainly doesn't help that it looks to be increasingly irrelevant to broader DCU continuity

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Madkal posted:

Every year I do a cull of stuff I know I won't read again, or didn't particularly enjoy. I try keep my storage manageable. Also having a spare room helps.

My dream ever since I was a kid was to have a house with a room full of book shelves of books and comics and a record player/stereo for relaxing in a lazyboy chair with a playboy robe, smoking a pipe, reading a book and/or playing some music. I just got the house this year so I'm on my way to that. I want every readable thing I own within arm's reach because I never know what mood might take me. Basically I want a big ol' adult play room where I can slowly become a well read and slow moving vegetable.

Edit: Batman Eternal: I have volumes 1-3 which I think is the complete story. I see there is now a Batman Eternal Omnibus. Does that book contain anything I don't have in volumes 1-3 of Eternal? I checked Amazon but since it only tells me which single issue runs are included, I can't tell how that translates with the collected TPBs I have.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 4, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When my now wife moved and my roommate moved out of my old place I had dreams of turning his room into a comic book den. I had prints I had bought from cons over the years, some figurines, and a hockey goal light. Over the months though my comic book room just became general storage.
Now in my new place I have a comic book crawl space. Maybe I will post pictures of it when I get home.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

chaosapiant posted:

My dream ever since I was a kid was to have a house with a room full of book shelves of books and comics and a record player/stereo for relaxing in a lazyboy chair with a playboy robe, smoking a pipe, reading a book and/or playing some music. I just got the house this year so I'm on my way to that. I want every readable thing I own within arm's reach because I never know what mood might take me. Basically I want a big ol' adult play room where I can slowly become a well read and slow moving vegetable.

Like this?

https://youtu.be/fRRVHKbbCsI

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JL is a lot of fun right now. It's going fuckin bonkers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Beautiful! I love it! In my mind's eye I had a darker room with older style lamps and wood panelling. Girlfriend hates wood panel so that won't fly though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

I believe someone here coined the phrase "Cargo Cult Watchmen" to describe it, and it continues to be accurate. if anything, it's even more blatant this issue, and it certainly doesn't help that it looks to be increasingly irrelevant to broader DCU continuity
I don't know if I was the first person to use it, but I have said (and maintain) that a huge amount of Doomsday Clock is exactly that, from the borderline meaningless 'back matter' to having some dumbass Nathaniel Dusk movie be a parallel story to all of the textual/visual 'It's amazing how Marionette and I finish each other's---" 'Sandwiches! I'm Rorschach Jr. and I fuckin' love sandwiches!" page transitions.

It's like someone looking at the Godfather and deciding to remake it, knowing the most important things about it are a lot of people get shot, someone needs to talk funny, have oranges in every single scene, and people close doors on each other a lot. Also maybe Fredo's kid is secretly Venom?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I do really enjoy the juxtaposition of a Geoff Johns comic with fuckin' James Joyce quotes at the end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

DCeased as a tie in one shot today lmao. They couldn't wait for the series to be over. Well it was entertaining like the series has been overall.

It seems like it's more tying into something one to two issues off since there's a big fat "To be continued" at the end.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not lit like a goddamned office, though.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I thought Dclock might have late rewrites because of Heroes In Crisis but it turns out it was Bendis and Snyder, lol.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Recapping everything in endless expository dialogue didn't help
Did the second to last issue of Watchmen have Ozy explaining everything for almost an entire issue? He probably felt he had to mirror that.

Lol at the gradual blood drip over the clock in the back covers of the series being revealed to be Superman's cape.

edit: I bet he had to dust his Saturn Girl (also from King's Batman) because of Bendis, and that wasn't the original plan.

Watchmen #11 was heavily focused on Ozy but that's because the book hadn't spent much time on his perspective at that point (for obvious reasons). It was his chapter in the same way that Watchmaker was Manhattan's. While there is a lot of exposition it also reveals his true character, and the most famous bit of the entire comic is a comment on how exposition is used in the medium.

Doomsday Clock #11 is a messy, boring recap that saps all of the momentum from the series right before the finale.

As for Saturn Girl's dusting it seemed fine to me but I'm not reading the other books. It would have been better if Johns had given the audience a reason to care about her or know who she was though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Didn't Doomsday Clock #1 come out well before Bendis was even signed to DC? Like he was still writing Iron Man and the Miles Morales Spider-Man book?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm sure Bendis had a lot of prep time before his comics started coming out, but I'm guessing his idea to start the Legion fresh happened after King had his and Johns' version of Saturn Girl pop up in Batman a few years ago.
Clock wishes her (and in turn the N52 Legion, I guess) away functionally enough, I suppose.

E: If you're doing some meta exploration of continuities coming and going, might as well involve a LOSHer.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 5, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm saying I thought Doomsday Clock started before Bendis had even talked with anyone at DC about writing for them. I mean there was that loving "The Button" crossover with Batman and Flash even earlier.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Doomsday Clock #1 come out well before Bendis was even signed to DC? Like he was still writing Iron Man and the Miles Morales Spider-Man book?

it came out within a few weeks of his DC exclusive being announced, iirc, though well before his first DC book shipped

I vaguely recall rumors that Hickman was offered Legion but only on the condition that he had to wait until after Doomsday Clock was over, a condition which obviously didn't stick for Bendis, but those are probably from Bleeding Cool so huge grain of salt

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I feel like Bendis would have had to have been working on a lot of this first year of stuff before he was announced, especially with how he got seriously ill right away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I feel like Bendis would have had to have been working on a lot of this first year of stuff before he was announced, especially with how he got seriously ill right away.

I'm pretty sure there was a point in time that Bendis had between 5 and 7 books coming out every single month for multiple years (and those include some of his best writing ever). There's a lot of criticism to through at him, but spending too much time planning a book before he gives a script to an artist is not one of them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Barry Convex posted:

it came out within a few weeks of his DC exclusive being announced, iirc, though well before his first DC book shipped

I vaguely recall rumors that Hickman was offered Legion but only on the condition that he had to wait until after Doomsday Clock was over, a condition which obviously didn't stick for Bendis, but those are probably from Bleeding Cool so huge grain of salt

Imagine blowing up the DCU and losing Hickman for bendis events and aging up jon lmao

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My shop finally got the Mister Miracle hardcover in last week. I already bought the trade because I thought I missed my chance to get this, but I couldn’t resist.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

My shop finally got the Mister Miracle hardcover in last week. I already bought the trade because I thought I missed my chance to get this, but I couldn’t resist.

I almost did the same thing the other day, not gonna lie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Not lit like a goddamned office, though.

The PO finished the basement with an insane number of lights. It looked bad with just the sink bulbs on when I filmed it the first time so I just flipped on everything for that. Back half of the room almost never gets lit up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I am so confused as to what the point of Doomsday Clock is. I mean I know what it is, it's to make Superman fight Doc Manhattan and eventually to rake in those sweet sweet bucks cranking out Batman/Rorschach teamup minis or whatever the gently caress, but I don't get what the gently caress this story itself is aiming for or why it needed to be 12 issues. Seems like they could've easily gotten to the Supes/Manhattan throwdown in 8 or less.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

TwoPair posted:

I am so confused as to what the point of Doomsday Clock is. I mean I know what it is, it's to make Superman fight Doc Manhattan and eventually to rake in those sweet sweet bucks cranking out Batman/Rorschach teamup minis or whatever the gently caress, but I don't get what the gently caress this story itself is aiming for or why it needed to be 12 issues. Seems like they could've easily gotten to the Supes/Manhattan throwdown in 8 or less.

To undo Flashpoint, at least with regard to the JSA, Wally West, and Legion.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Part of me wants to posit that Johns is making some kind of point about the nature of continuity itself, how all of DC's various reboots and relaunches ultimately end up blending together into one vaguely messy timeline because writers keep on going back to the same wells; no matter how many times Superman gets relaunched he still ends up with Lois Lane, still ends up working for Perry White at the Daily Planet, still ends up battling Lex Luthor. The JSA is still the supergroup of the 1940s even if everyone pretends they never existed for a little while; they always return. Every relaunch ends up coming back to the same comforting stories and themes (remember the New 52 starting up and saying 'no actually Lois is dating this other guy'? They had to bring in a whole different continuity patch job just to undo it!). No matter what fresh coats of paint you apply, the general shape of the DCU is unchanged.

But the story has been so meandering and up its own rear end that I'm hesitant to give him that kind of credit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sometime, when everyone involved doesn't have to worry about getting fired, I want there to be an oral history of what the gently caress was going on with New 52.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

I do really enjoy the juxtaposition of a Geoff Johns comic with fuckin' James Joyce quotes at the end.

John Byrne did this in his atrocious Next Men, too. Several issues open and/or close with quotes from Ulysses. It seems to be the province of comic book writers writing very bad, "thinky" stories to stick quotes from very good writers in as bookends in an attempt to legitimise their work.

Barry Convex posted:

Hi! That was me. I honestly can't think of any apter way to describe the book.

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't know if I was the first person to use it, but I have said (and maintain) that a huge amount of Doomsday Clock is exactly that, from the borderline meaningless 'back matter' to having some dumbass Nathaniel Dusk movie be a parallel story to all of the textual/visual 'It's amazing how Marionette and I finish each other's---" 'Sandwiches! I'm Rorschach Jr. and I fuckin' love sandwiches!" page transitions.

It's like someone looking at the Godfather and deciding to remake it, knowing the most important things about it are a lot of people get shot, someone needs to talk funny, have oranges in every single scene, and people close doors on each other a lot. Also maybe Fredo's kid is secretly Venom?

Yes, totally. All the signifiers, none of the substance, bundled in with the shallowest, tackiest storytelling habits of mainstream superhero comics.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, the whole Rorschach II plotline is completely irrelevant to everything in the story. He doesn't make sense as an individual, he isn't important to the plot, he's tied to the original story by the thinnest possible thread - his entire existence, and his shaky backstory, are just a prolonged justification for having someone who acts and looks like Rorschach in the book, because everyone knows you need Rorschach for it to be Watchmen.

Same deal with Jon arbitrarily resurrecting the Comedian. I'm still not entirely sure why he did that in plot terms, but in actual terms it was so that the story could have the Comedian in it. Remember him? From Watchmen!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Frank Miller question: I've heard mostly negative stuff regarding the sequel to DKR: Dark Knight Strikes Again. For the sake of completion I'm interested in purchasing both this and Master Race. How does Master Race hold up? Is it a "return to form" or is it more super grim dark nihilistic portrayals of Bats? And what were the major issues with Dark Knight Strikes Again?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DSA is a very ugly looking comic with some rather blatant homophobic moments.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The art is cool and weird and not great. It’s been a while but I’m confident saying the story is probably worse than the art.

I liked DK3. It had some interesting moments, and again I just kinda love frank’s weirder art in the backups.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I sat down and thought about it and I realise the only issues of Doomsday Clock I've liked have been the three that focused on Watchmen universe characters.

Android Blues posted:

Same deal with Jon arbitrarily resurrecting the Comedian. I'm still not entirely sure why he did that in plot terms, but in actual terms it was so that the story could have the Comedian in it. Remember him? From Watchmen!

The Comedian turned up again in this issue (and was namechecked as well) and all it did was remind me of how pointless his return was.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Roth posted:

DSA is a very ugly looking comic with some rather blatant homophobic moments.

I'm still baffled by how the scene depicting Hawk and Dove as an incestuous gay couple got published. Did Miller and/or his editor not realize they were brothers, or did he just have that much of a creative blank check on the project?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Also re: Doomsday Clock, I'm sorry, I feel compelled to have to point out, at one point Johns has the Amazons go "Saving the rest of the world from itself is not our mission" and I just to be like, nope! Incorrect! That is in fact literally the Amazons' mission! It's one thing to be like "The mission is not important anymore, we failed, we have to move on," but it's another to pretend like that wasn't actually, one-hundred percent, the reason the Amazons were made.

It's not the worst, or second worst, or even third worst take on Amazons, but still.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

The art is cool and weird and not great. It’s been a while but I’m confident saying the story is probably worse than the art.

I liked DK3. It had some interesting moments, and again I just kinda love frank’s weirder art in the backups.

The line work itself is fine imo, it's just that the coloring DSA is a bunch of gradient filters.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So, does the timing remotely make sense for the Mine and the Marionette's kid here? I mean, he was born, at the latest, a few months after the Keene act. Wouldn't that make him a teenager by the earliest time that panel could possibly happen?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah so I completely, flagrantly didn't get any of that Mime and Marionette stuff. What exactly is so important about them again that we had to spend half the book in their presence?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

What exactly is so important about them again that we had to spend half the book in their presence?
We were red-herring'ed into thinking that Joker was their kid and that Jon/Ozy had some weird Bioshock Infinite plan that moved them to the DCU for REASONS.

And instead no, Jon just wanted to make sure Nite Owl and Sally Jupiter got to adopt the right kid and be parents before they were snuffed out in atomic fire

Wait but how did Mime get superpo-:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah so I completely, flagrantly didn't get any of that Mime and Marionette stuff. What exactly is so important about them again that we had to spend half the book in their presence?

It's dumb but frankly I kind of like them more than any appearance of Joker and/or Harley Quinn that I've seen in years so gently caress it, if comics have to have crazy murder clowns, I say it's time for a new era.