Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Did he also give state secrets to his anime avatar

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfpHZBb0Heo

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The Falklands must never be theirs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bay of Pigs Invasion

quote:

Havana gleefully noted the wealth of the captured invaders: 100 plantation owners, 67 landlords of apartment houses, 35 factory owners, 112 businessmen, 179 lived off unearned income, and 194 ex-soldiers of Batista.

Props to those wealthy shitheads for actually being willing to put their own lives on the line to kill and enslave poors, unlike our quivering WASP aristocrats here in the good old USA

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

The Bay of Pigs Invasion

Props to those wealthy shitheads for actually being willing to put their own lives on the line to kill and enslave poors, unlike our quivering WASP aristocrats here in the good old USA

lol just remembered that my high school history teacher told us that Kennedy had no idea about the CIA planning the invasion and only learned about it at the last moment, at which point he denied air cover, rather than him being involved in the planning and signing off on everything.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Thump! posted:

Donald trump got elected with 3 million less votes than his opponent

Hillary's 3 million vote lead was in a single state, and she campaigned harder in that state than necessary.

(actually she won California by 4.3 million)

also this image

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

Next week Rudy Giuliani will finally be able to legally gently caress the abstract idea of 9/11

New York's age of consent is 17 and he's been loving it as long or longer

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The electoral college actually worked as intended in 2016. You can't just win populous states with landslide results, you need the whole country behind you.

Also lol that Colin Powell stole like 3 of Hillary's electoral college votes.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

The electoral college actually worked as intended in 2016. You can't just win populous states with landslide results, you need the whole country behind you.

Also lol that Colin Powell stole like 3 of Hillary's electoral college votes.

Counterpoint: gently caress the Electoral College. She did have the majority of the country behind her, but stupid 16th century rules screwed her because of states that have more cows than people.

DiggityDoink has issued a correction as of 09:22 on Sep 5, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DiggityDoink posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress the Electoral College

Agreed. It's a racist institution that exists solely so the rich can pull in as many people as possible to exploit in urban areas, then turn around and use their hoarded gold to prop up right wing fashy shitheads in states where some bumblefuck jackass' vote counts 4 times as much as someone who has to live in the city.

quote:

She did have the majority of the country behind her,

Well that's a loving lie.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Azathoth posted:

lol just remembered that my high school history teacher told us that Kennedy had no idea about the CIA planning the invasion and only learned about it at the last moment, at which point he denied air cover, rather than him being involved in the planning and signing off on everything.

Oh that was the whole point. The CUA knew he didnt want to go through with any invasion of Cuba so they decided to present the Bay of Pigs as a fait accompli and force kennedy to give the air cover. Then kennedy just told them to gently caress off. Whoopsie!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Remember when they tried to kill Castro by poisoning his ice cream?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Modest Mao posted:

Hillary's 3 million vote lead was in a single state, and she campaigned harder in that state than necessary.

also this image

The DNC after the election working out how much money they were flushing down the toilet on absolutely useless consultants (see: the payroll bit above)

Also the Hillary campaign literally turning away volunteers in Wisconsin and Michigan

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DiggityDoink posted:

stupid 16th century rules

I thought the electoral college was an American invention. where did they borrow it from?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I need to become a consultant

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The EC is a check on democracy, an explicit "we need a way for the aristocracy to prevent the rabble from getting their most radical choices"

Subjunctive posted:

I thought the electoral college was an American invention. where did they borrow it from?

holy roman empire lol

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

rand paul getting water-boy tackled by a 60 year old retired doctor over an ongoing "yard dispute" causing six broken ribs, lung damage, and two occurrences of pneumonia

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The EC is a bad institution but it's also not to blame for HRC's defeat. She, like every other person who has ever had presidential ambitions, knew fully well the rules and goals of the game. If presidential elections were decided by popular vote then campaign strategy and the ways people vote would also be different. Considering how poorly Clinton campaigned it's a fair bet that she would have hosed up in that scenario too.

It's very revealing that no centrists are campaigning for electoral reform. The EC is convenient for them because it gives them another excuse for when they fail.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

They also don't care about losing. They just want to live out West Wing fantasies of Making Tough Choices over other people's lives and Compromising Like An Adult with monsters and they can do that perfectly well from the minority.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So very little of the American system is democratic idk why the electoral college gets harped on

we have only two parties and an imperial presidency our democracy is long dead

edit: to be honest America never had democracy if you consider that as being each person having equal share of political determination. It's a master/slave society at its heart

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Azathoth posted:

I will never understand boomers obsession with sanctifying JFK

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

JFK is the Firefly of presidents

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Smirking_Serpent posted:

JFK is the Firefly of presidents

Goddamn

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ikanreed posted:

Lol remember that time Margaret thatcher bombed Argentina over some islands literally no Brit had heard of before

yeah those argies got fuckin owned lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Modest Mao posted:

also this image

lol forever at all those goddamn consultants

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
We begin bombing in five minutes

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jerry Falwell made a big stink about Tinky Winky, the purple Teletubby, being gay and therefore an immoral role model for Christian children

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Remember when they tried to kill Castro by poisoning his ice cream?

I prefer the time they tried to kill Castro with an exploding cigar

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they also had a plan to make his beard hair fall out, thereby undermining his authority

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the best CIA mission was when they tried to use the cat to spy on the communists. they made a $20 million spy cat, released it to go on a spy mission, and it immediately got hit by a car. 60s CIA was some inspector clouseau poo poo

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Roosevelt posted:

the best CIA mission was when they tried to use the cat to spy on the communists. they made a $20 million spy cat, released it to go on a spy mission, and it immediately got hit by a car. 60s CIA was some inspector clouseau poo poo

If you have practically limitless budget, can operate above the law and use all kind of drugs, wouldn't you come up with all kinds of crazy poo poo too?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tulip posted:

They also don't care about losing. They just want to live out West Wing fantasies of Making Tough Choices over other people's lives and Compromising Like An Adult with monsters and they can do that perfectly well from the minority.

Reminder that in his ultimate liberal fantasy, the only lasting thing that Aaron Sorkin has his fictional president do is cut social security

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cool dance moves posted:

Oh that was the whole point. The CUA knew he didnt want to go through with any invasion of Cuba so they decided to present the Bay of Pigs as a fait accompli and force kennedy to give the air cover. Then kennedy just told them to gently caress off. Whoopsie!

Which is they had him killed.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MikeCrotch posted:

Reminder that in his ultimate liberal fantasy, the only lasting thing that Aaron Sorkin has his fictional president do is cut social security

And this would have been the only lasting legacy of the Obama presidency if the Republicans had been willing to go along

lol

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Roosevelt posted:

The best CIA mission was making spooky ghost noises to try and win the Vietnam war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d9H_1ygEv8

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MikeCrotch posted:

The Bartlett administration was to the right of the Bush administration l o fuckin l

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Roosevelt posted:

my favorite part is that the only part of the story the CIA disputes is that the cat got hit by a car. they officially maintain that the equipment was removed and the cat lived out its days in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The CIA being such dumbfucks with Castro is part of why I'm pretty sure that the CIA funding Pollack etc was more the result of some guys slushing government funds to stuff they liked than founded in actual strategic thinking