Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1169538310835965953

at least one of you has a sub right

e: 88 is the hitler number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

coffeetable posted:

who's the particle physicist with the shiny new grant again

https://twitter.com/ResFortnight/status/1169210391961985024

Hello there :eng99:

In the current round, the UK has underwritten the grants:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/horizon-2020-funding-after-brexit

However, if turbobrexit kicks off, I think it more likely that many awardees will take their grant elsewhere because nobody knows what the UK will offer for follow-on grants in future.

It's an extremely precarious situation, not just because the grant awardees will not know what is going on, but because these grants employ PhD students, Postdocs, engineers, technicians etc. Many of whom are EU and we have no idea if those people will automatically be able to stay in the UK either.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lord Howard posted:

This bill is against the good chap theory of government

The Lords is wild

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

coffeetable posted:

who's the particle physicist with the shiny new grant again

...Shaft?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the whole "let him stew in his own juices" crowd are all the political geniuses who have hosed everything up constantly so far so I wouldn't trust their instincts at all

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Feel like we need a UKMT roll-call of people working in and around academia, there are more of us than I first thought.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Vlex posted:

Feel like we need a UKMT roll-call of people working in and around academia, there are more of us than I first thought.

On the outermost edges, picking up an hour or two of HPT work when I can get it, and being endlessly rejected for real jobs, lol

Same as many, of course

EDIT in general I don't want to talk about it though because it's depressing as gently caress and I made a terrible mistake

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1169575063152144384

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vlex posted:

My wife has a recent PhD from Loughborough :shobon: she's not currently in academia though

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

On the outermost edges, picking up an hour or two of HPT work when I can get it, and being endlessly rejected for real jobs, lol

Same as many, of course

EDIT in general I don't want to talk about it though because it's depressing as gently caress and I made a terrible mistake

:sigh::hf::sigh:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Vlex posted:

I'm not so surprised. Shitposting and massive arguments on subjects as mundane and inconsequential as monster munch flavors are basically faculty.txt

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Never seen a domestic intelligence agency that didn't like the fash, though.

FBI and CIA have had ...let's call it rocky relationships with Trump. He publicly shits all over them all the time

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1169571664394444801?s=21

lol

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Hentai Jihadist posted:

every day i think back with regret...

if only we had chosen owen j....

owen smith....?

The most hilarious thing about that tweet is that it implies the Tory strategy is going really well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1169560579280912385

poliitical editor of the sun has apparently never heard of tories before

Oh No! Bojo bro JoJo go!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Extreme Oxford Brain to claim that the defining philosophy of leftist thought is "every man for himself"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1169577165681254402

hell yeah

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A very senior member of a very well known UK charity just told me the head of the charity commission is "a lying two-faced piece of poo poo" for publicy celebrating yesterday's promise of extra money into the commission. After the increase they will still be approximately six million pounds shy of what their rolling budget was in 2008/2009. People working directly for charities themselves seem less than impressed.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Vlex posted:

hello, i am a university postdoc, and mostly this means doing my own incredibly specific tech support

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Extreme Oxford Brain to claim that the defining philosophy of leftist thought is "every man for himself"

To these geniuses, the only basis for unity between humans is Blood & Soil.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

FBI and CIA have had ...let's call it rocky relationships with Trump. He publicly shits all over them all the time

If he didn't they'd be well in for him

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Johnson posted:

Only lefties can think like that ... they see people as discrete agents devoid of ties to society or to each other

Gove posted:

For example, it enshrines a vision of human rights which privileges contending minorities at the expense of the democratic majority. It supplants the notion of independent citizens with one of competing client groups.

So do the left see people as atomized individuals with no greater ties to each other or as identity groups devoid of individuality?

:umberto:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I just woke up with a hangover and no way am I reading 600 posts to catch up, someone fill me in on the choice bits?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

:newdanger: but with Boris

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

I just woke up with a hangover and no way am I reading 600 posts to catch up, someone fill me in on the choice bits?
Tories bad.

Also

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Oh No! Bojo bro JoJo go!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Yeah, but here's their reason:

quote:

MPs to be asked again on Monday to vote for early election, Rees-Mogg says

Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the Commons, has just told MPs that on Monday the government will hold a second vote on having an early general election.

There was a vote last night that was passed, but without the two-thirds majority needed for the vote to lead to an early general election (two thirds of all MPs would have to vote for one, not just two thirds of MPs participating in the division).

Under Commons rules the government is not meant to put motions to a vote if they have already been defeated. But government sources say that this would not apply next week because Labour abstained last night on the grounds that the Benn bill, designed to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October, was not yet law. But Monday next week that bill should be law, so the circumstances will have changed, justifying a second vote.

Before MPs debate an early election on Monday, Rees-Mogg said they would also consider the remaining stages of the Benn bill, following its return from the Lords, as well as hold a debate required under the Northern Ireland (executive formation) bill.

They want to push for another GE.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 5, 2019

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

kanonvandekempen posted:

Goddamn every time that university is mentioned here I regret doing my postgrad at Warwick more and more.
At least we in life sciences were the red-headed ignored stepchildren of that university.

Gibbet hill 4 lyf. Kinda glad I didn't end up staying there for my PhD ...

Speaking of:

Vlex posted:

Been postdoc-ing at The Barts Cancer Institute for a year and a half now.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

The guy who draws Drunken Bakers in the Viz is both Correct and an extremely good follow. Case in point:

https://twitter.com/barneyfarmer/status/1169562823451697153?s=20

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

SpaceCommie posted:

Gibbet hill 4 lyf. Kinda glad I didn't end up staying there for my PhD ...

Speaking of:

Been postdoc-ing at The Barts Cancer Institute for a year and a half now.

I feel a theme of precarity and junior academic positions is emerging, which is partially due to the average age of the thread, but also because the fuckers in charge of people like us didn't need 3 lead-author Nature publications on their CV before they got their permanent jobs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

every day i think back with regret...

if only we had chosen owen j....

owen smith....?

Imagine if we had chosen owen JONES tho

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, but here's their reason:

They want to push for another GE.

But if they're waiting for the Benn Bill to complete passage, they won't be able to NDB, so what's the point in calling an early election?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Azza Bamboo posted:

UK politics is the best soap on British TV.

Soap chat.
My mum watched the three big ones (Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale) religiously for decades.
Now she has given these up for........Turkish and Mexican ones.
Netflix has put on a few complete soap series up around the world, and they are really entertaining.
They are bizarre though, they love the dramatic ending cliffhanger every episode but everything is fine the next day.
For example one main character 'dies' on a hospital bed, everything sad. Next episode, opening scene is him walking into the house all healed.
Better than junkie cockneys and sour faced northerners.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Ms Fuchi posted:

But if they're waiting for the Benn Bill to complete passage, they won't be able to NDB, so what's the point in calling an early election?

If they get a majority (lol) they can undo it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ms Fuchi posted:

Possibly they're planning on using that Queen's Consent procedure to request an extension and then simply refuse it if offered.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Fuchi posted:

I honestly don't know what to think ATM. :shrug:
They keep trying to push for one on their terms, and I'm a bit suspcious, rightly or wrongly.

happyhippy posted:

I will not hear such slander against Phil Mitchell wanting crack. :mad:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

StarkingBarfish posted:

Hello there :eng99:

In the current round, the UK has underwritten the grants:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/horizon-2020-funding-after-brexit

However, if turbobrexit kicks off, I think it more likely that many awardees will take their grant elsewhere because nobody knows what the UK will offer for follow-on grants in future.

It's an extremely precarious situation, not just because the grant awardees will not know what is going on, but because these grants employ PhD students, Postdocs, engineers, technicians etc. Many of whom are EU and we have no idea if those people will automatically be able to stay in the UK either.

who needs science when we have are country back

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1169532485237129216

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

happyhippy posted:

Soap chat.
My mum watched the three big ones (Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale) religiously for decades.
Now she has given these up for........Turkish and Mexican ones.
Netflix has put on a few complete soap series up around the world, and they are really entertaining.
They are bizarre though, they love the dramatic ending cliffhanger every episode but everything is fine the next day.
For example one main character 'dies' on a hospital bed, everything sad. Next episode, opening scene is him walking into the house all healed.

Put her onto Jane the Virgin, it's an excellent confluence of the US and Mexican/telenovela soap styles, and being made by a lot of Latinx people , it has some pretty solid lefty politics thrown in from time to time if that's helpful.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1169535873626583040