Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jamesman posted:

Remember how in the first Spider-Man movie, they felt the need to explain how Peter could stick to things by showing these weird gross barbed hairs growing from his fingers, but that just raised even more questions?

What questions? Spider-Bite caused mutations. Made him a sticky boy

That’s all you ever needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

In the comics the explanation is technically that he has static cling on his extremities, because that's the closest to something that makes any sense the marvel handbook people could come up with. Even though that has nothing to do with spiders.

It can't have anything to do with how spiders climb and still make sense at a human scale, like the barbed hairs. Super static cling is as good an explanation as any other. It's Spider-Man's version of tactile telekinesis.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I mean, super-static cling is basically how spiders actually climb walls.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They also needed a way to explain how it works over his clothes.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Unstable molecules.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, super-static cling is basically how spiders actually climb walls.

But Spider-Man has it in a "just because" way. His body is not physiologically any different than the next person's when it comes to scaling walls except for this cling effect he produces out of nothing. It's like how he can see and detect danger from all around him, not because of bigger/more eyes or because of vibrations felt on webs or hairs, but just because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Barb's don't stick to walls, they vibrate against each other to create static cling.

Please send my no prize to Pleasant Hill Missouri

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Spider-Man uses tiny hairs all over his body to cling to walls, and Superman uses tiny wings all over his body to fly, deal with it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soul Glo posted:

Spider-Man uses tiny hairs all over his body to cling to walls, and Superman uses tiny wings all over his body to fly, deal with it

No the Superman equivalent is that he doesn't fly he unknowingly uses telekinesis to envelop himself in an invisible field and propel himself through the air. It's a John Byrne special!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

X-O posted:

No the Superman equivalent is that he doesn't fly he unknowingly uses telekinesis to envelop himself in an invisible field and propel himself through the air. It's a John Byrne special!

I think that was the joke since people talked about the static cling.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'll still go to bat for the webs just being part of his superpowers.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The spider didn't bite him and give him spider powers. It injected him with radiated venom that mutated him, and he paid tribute to the spider to create his superhero persona.

You plebs. You absolute dolts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jamesman posted:

The spider didn't bite him and give him spider powers. It injected him with radiated venom that mutated him, and he paid tribute to the spider to create his superhero persona.

You plebs. You absolute dolts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

:wrong:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

X-O posted:

He actually moves the universe around him.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I've never heard a good reason against it that did not begin and end with "That's not how it was in the 60's." Webs are a spider's most defining trait. I've never in life looked at a spider and thought "Wow, look at their incredible ability to predict danger."

It would be like if he got bit by a radioactive fish and couldn't breathe underwater.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of his other powers are really things spiders do, why should the webs be any different?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

The first Spider-man thing I saw were the Raimi films so the idea that he needed some gadget to shoot web has always seemed bafflingly stupid to me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Peter Parker is a genius inventor who once worked for a think tank reverse engineering his superhero gear into consumer products. For example, he had to fight a person with sonic powers that required him to build a suit that muffled out all sound so he made noise cancelling headphones with the tech.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The first Spider-man thing I saw were the Raimi films so the idea that he needed some gadget to shoot web has always seemed bafflingly stupid to me.

"I got bitten by a radioactive spider, so then I built these gadgets so I could do spider things!"
"Did... did the bite have anything to do with that?"
"No, it just got me thinking about spiders!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yep, and still is. It’s never once come up as any kind of dramatic plot point in the Holland films and it did show up a bit in the Garfield ones but they were bad and I hate them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Yep, and still is. It’s never once come up as any kind of dramatic plot point in the Holland films and it did show up a bit in the Garfield ones but they were bad and I hate them.

The webshooters come up a lot in the Holland films because they give him different webs. He also runs out in Far From Home.

Webshooters are great and it's better when Peter creates them and the webbing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I propose that Spiderman does have webshooters but he refills them with his butt

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fangz posted:

I propose that Spiderman does have webshooters but he refills them with his butt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrP1_5XuKLI

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

I've never heard a good reason against it that did not begin and end with "That's not how it was in the 60's."

Then you ain't been listening right. Spider-man is as much of a scientist as he is a teenager and a photographer, so it makes perfect sense to have a major part of his arsenal be a gadget he whipped up. It gives him a bit of a low-rent Batman aspect, and primes you to believe he can figure out complicated science problems the villains cook up. Plus, the webs being mechanical means he can run out to create dramatic tension, worry about the web fluid production cutting into his meager budget, create variants to take on supervillains with specific power-sets, have the webshooters get crushed off his wrists by a particularly strong villain... it creates a texture to the power as something separate from his natural abilities that he basically has to work at.

It also makes it cool because then you can draw neat diagrams explaining how the web-shooters work and put them in a super-sized annual issue.

I do appreciate that the Sam Raimi films managed to contrive a way for Spider-man to run out of webbing and fall to his near death in mid-air despite them being organic, which is my favorite thing Spider-man does. I distinctly remember leaning over to a friend in the theater and saying "that's his move!".

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That little scene in Homecoming where Peter is trying out new web formulas in class is such a little thing, but I absolutely love it for being able to convey so much information about the character in such a short amount of time.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The way Ben Reilly used to wear bulky webshooters on the outside of the costume was cool as hell don't @ me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I posted that Joker review because I'm fascinated by its existence, and look forward to reading about how it got made because right now it seems like a hot mess of juvenile film making.

Like there's a team at Warner bros right now trying to Weinstein their way into shoving it into the awards circuit, which I find pretty funny.

And Todd Phillips, who has a Neanderthal like grasp of nuance and a particularly scathing Neil Lebute-like disdain for anything not white and male handling it is especially delicious.

excited to see it come out!

e: woops didn't see the mod thing, I can stop talking about it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 5, 2019

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
You know if they had just given the role to LaKeith Stanfield half the arguments against it would have been avoided.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You know if they had just given the role to LaKeith Stanfield half the arguments against it would have been avoided.

It would have just resulted in equally asinine arguments on a different part of the web

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Raffles posted:

It would have just resulted in equally asinine arguments on a different part of the web

Yeah but I don't hang out in that part of the web.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Sure, because I don't think the argument is "don't make movies about the Joker," it's that this particular narrative, about a white man specifically being pushed over the edge, is boring. A sad, minor key version of a popular tune played over slow-motion meandering is boring.

There are lots of ways to spice up the character, and some of them I'd even probably be interested in watching a movie about. I think a black Joker would be one of those, because then the character's fundamental rejection of normalized relations to power looks a lot different. That character loudly saying no in the way that the Joker character typically would definitely signify something other than "Bartleby but fucken twisted" as too many recent Joker takes have done.

On a similar note, and I won't spoil much, but the recent Mariko Tamaki OGN Breaking Glass has a really great take on the Joker, again precisely because she hones in on the elements of the character that have become tired or rote and just gets rid of them. So he's familiar enough to be legible, but novel enough to be exciting, and one really basic change in his backstory lets him play a really fresh role in the story.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It would have actually been interesting yeah

Like seriously we don't get any movies where black people (especially men) in America are allowed to be angry at the unjust society that brought us to this country as literal property

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Then you ain't been listening right. Spider-man is as much of a scientist as he is a teenager and a photographer, so it makes perfect sense to have a major part of his arsenal be a gadget he whipped up. It gives him a bit of a low-rent Batman aspect, and primes you to believe he can figure out complicated science problems the villains cook up. Plus, the webs being mechanical means he can run out to create dramatic tension, worry about the web fluid production cutting into his meager budget, create variants to take on supervillains with specific power-sets, have the webshooters get crushed off his wrists by a particularly strong villain... it creates a texture to the power as something separate from his natural abilities that he basically has to work at.

It also makes it cool because then you can draw neat diagrams explaining how the web-shooters work and put them in a super-sized annual issue.

I do appreciate that the Sam Raimi films managed to contrive a way for Spider-man to run out of webbing and fall to his near death in mid-air despite them being organic, which is my favorite thing Spider-man does. I distinctly remember leaning over to a friend in the theater and saying "that's his move!".

I also hate every inch of the "he's a scientist" argument, no cap. Spider-Man media is supposed to feature so many gadgets. SO many. The tracker spider, the spotlight (lmao), the spy-der bots, whatever. He can tinker and invent and design his own suit. So many opportunities for Spider-Man media to show the kid is a nerd. As you pointed out, Spidey can still run out of webs if they come out of his body. It would make sense for him to have a finite supply that builds over time. Especially if he's aware of how long it takes to refill. Time is a great source of tension.

From all that, I can see mechanic shooters being comparable, but not better.

Aphrodite posted:

None of his other powers are really things spiders do, why should the webs be any different?

I've seen many spiders scurry up walls.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

organic webs are gross

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spider-Man is gross

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
in addition to organic webs, they should give him detachable palps

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the organic webs are his poop

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lakeith Stanfield has cooler things to be doing than a Joker movie.

SonicRulez posted:

I've seen many spiders scurry up walls.

Not with magic static cling you didn't.

Spider-Man gets bitten by a spider and mutates to have some stuff sort of like spiders can do but none of them how spiders actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Aphrodite posted:

Not with magic static cling you didn't.

or... did you

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/spiders-fly-on-the-currents-of-earths-electric-field