Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Not a bike but definitely my ride. The Adventure Odyssey is functionally done, and came out better than I'd hoped. I still need to put the air springs in the rear and a motorcycle rack on the back, but it can be glamped out of as it sits. There was a lot of engineering and work to get to this point.

Extremely sturdy platform made of 80/20 with a hinged rear and speed holesventilation holes throughout. Moisture is a big concern, and I'll have dehumidifier packs underneath.

The mattress is a 10 inch thick Full XL Memory Foam that is probably more comfortable than my Casper.

I cut 4 inches off the side to make it fit, and intend to put blocks of that in pillow cases to fill in by the sliding doors.

This thing is amazingly roomy for two people, and 80 inch length is bliss for a tall person like me. The scoops to the sides, as well as the wider window portions, give even more room to overhang your knees or whatever.

I cannot wait to go camping out of this thing. It's everything I ever wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Martytoof posted:

Lol that’s so bad... ok, well I guess I’ll just live with it. Next bike I definitely want quieter.

Could always sell the akrapovic and put a stock pipe back on your ninja 250, from the factory they're one of the quietest bikes going.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m going to see if I can just source an OEM pipe. I hate the look but this farting is stupid. At any rate, just riding it now, money investments later :)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Yerok posted:

Got my intake adapter made, eBay FCR cleaned and mounted, and then took a heat gun to my tank until it all fit. Pilot circuit is perfect, easiest bike I've ever kickstarted. Gotta check the AP squirt timing tomorrow.

Nice, what year?
Still have the stock carb, is the aftermarket a big upgrade?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Literally every time I roll off the throttle it’s like there’s a 21 cannon salute to my deceleration.

This owns and I cannot fathom why you’d want it any other way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you really gotta post a video of what it sounds like because

1) nearly every carbureted motorcycle pops and burbles at least somewhat
2) new riders often think their bike is way loud when it's actually normal; consider that you're sitting right on top of the engine
3) crackling and popping on a closed throttle is usually totally safe even if it sounds like an ammo dump exploding, because the engine is not under load
4) but it is still possible that it's running excessively lean, and you don't want to do that for too long.

prop your phone up against a rock on the curb, start recording a video, ride to the end of the street, come back around at high RPM and close the throttle as you pass the phone and post it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Time to remind everyone that Aprilia "fixed" over-run popping on the Shiver and Dorsoduro with an ECU update and had to rush out an update to fix the fix because everyone loving hated it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This owns and I cannot fathom why you’d want it any other way

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

My maroon garbage Vetter fairing got rehabbed today. And by rehabbed I mean I drilled a hole to hook the headlight up directly to the bike, rattlecanned it, and made my own windshield for $40 out of Lexan. Cold weather mode is basically ready to go. Removal is four bolts and a plug 🤷🏼‍♂️

Strongly considering throwing a couple USB space heaters into it. I have the power sources.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wired a 5v USB charger next to my dash but I must have misread the wiring diagram because the charger is only active after I turn the key to run but cuts out as soon as I push the starter. Will have to investigate next week.

Mounted my ram x-mount and it’s pretty much everything I was hoping for.

Also my sugru dried and it looks like I can mount my GoPro on the bucket so I’ll try to get some video of my can farting. I probably AM making it out to be worse than it is, and honestly I stopped even thinking about it after yesterday’s ride :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone who was curious about my bike's F A R T S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlmPKcLP-s

I bumped my gopro so angle is poo poo, but this is me going down a slight incline. Farts for days.

It's much louder when I'm on the bike, I think my lovely action cam is reducing road noise or something. Trust me it's noticeable :lol:

To keep on thread:

I ordered a separate fuse box and relay to run a new 12v ignition-operated wiring harness for my 5v USB adapter and possibly the grip warmers down the road. Going to wire everything in so the ignition trips the relay and starts the new circuit. Want this to be neat so I didn't tap into any existing wiring to pull actual power for the devices except relay.

And also I loved the X-mount yesterday and today I hate it. It's just mashing my volume buttons unless I contort my phone extreme left or extreme right. Maybe a different phone case would help but right now I'd trade this in for a pop socket style attach point.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 4, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I bumped my gopro so angle is poo poo, but this is me going down a slight incline. Farts for days.

It's much louder when I'm on the bike, I think my lovely action cam is reducing road noise or something. Trust me it's noticeable :lol:

To keep on thread:

I ordered a separate fuse box and relay to run a new 12v ignition-operated wiring harness for my 5v USB adapter and possibly the grip warmers down the road. Going to wire everything in so the ignition trips the relay and starts the new circuit. Want this to be neat so I didn't tap into any existing wiring to pull actual power for the devices except relay.

And also I loved the X-mount yesterday and today I hate it. It's just mashing my volume buttons unless I contort my phone extreme left or extreme right. Maybe a different phone case would help but right now I'd trade this in for a pop socket style attach point.

As predicted that is a combination of terrible pipe + wonky pilot circuits.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that's definitely more than normal. Any time you think you have a tuning issue the first step is to return it all to stock. Go to a junkyard and find a stock exhaust pipe and swap that on and then see where you're at.

The good news is that you aren't likely to hurt anything by continuing to ride; it's just annoying.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I too hate the XGrips - but since you already have the RAM mount, take a look at this Tackform mount. Great grip, doesn't mash your volume/power buttons, still works with the RAM mount ball stuff, doesn't cost $100 like the hondo garage poo poo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So just to be clear, that was just going downhill with what I assume is some level of engine braking. During normal riding it’s just when I roll off the throttle. Still annoying but I’ll finish off the season with this and see if I can find a stock pipe this winter. Thanks for putting up with my weird pipe story, I’ll update once I do something about it :q:

Jazzzzz posted:

I too hate the XGrips - but since you already have the RAM mount, take a look at this Tackform mount. Great grip, doesn't mash your volume/power buttons, still works with the RAM mount ball stuff, doesn't cost $100 like the hondo garage poo poo

Ok this is cool, I’ll sleep on it but I really can’t stand seeing my volume superimposed over Waze since my buttons are getting mashed so it may be a no brainer. Thanks!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had to go to the Portlands to pick up something from the fedex depot, and decided it would be a good chance to head out on the expressway, fill up with gas and do a few Italian tune up runs.

And man does Toronto suck rear end for being able to see a lot of street signs at night!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rode it

specifically, grabbed six whoppers, a dozen bottles of water, some beef jerky sticks, clif bars and some clean pairs of socks, and rode around until i had given it all out to rough sleepers panhandling on freeway offramps.

the socks were the biggest hit, one guy started cryin a bit.
i met the cutest pitbull that was VERY protective of his human until that jerky stick came out, then he was a big squishy loverboy

good vibes

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

Nice, what year?
Still have the stock carb, is the aftermarket a big upgrade?

It's a 2000. The OEM carb is totally fine and I know multiple people that never messed with theirs other than jetting. You can find an FCR40MX from a CRF250 between 06 and 08 on ebay for anywhere from $100 to $250. The throttle response is great and worth it to me but requires tank reshaping and fabricating an intake adapter or just buying something from NOSS:

http://nossmachine.com/carburetor-adapters/

I'll have more feedback on the carb once I convince WI to accept my title and issue me a plate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

To keep on thread:

That owns.

Also, I’m the “remove before flight” tag containing a key that when removed stops all flight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, I’m the “remove before flight” tag containing a key that when removed stops all flight.

Effective theft deterrent :cool:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Yerok posted:

It's a 2000. The OEM carb is totally fine and I know multiple people that never messed with theirs other than jetting. You can find an FCR40MX from a CRF250 between 06 and 08 on ebay for anywhere from $100 to $250. The throttle response is great and worth it to me but requires tank reshaping and fabricating an intake adapter or just buying something from NOSS:

http://nossmachine.com/carburetor-adapters/

I'll have more feedback on the carb once I convince WI to accept my title and issue me a plate.

Yeah the OEM does bog down if you snatch the throttle but otherwise not problematic. Probably a little outside my ability to fit a new one.

I'm taking a motorcycle mechanic course at the local college this year so maybe I'll think about changing it up when I'm a little more confident.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That owns.

That's why true pros use the "pull to eject" tags instead :c00l:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Stencil NO HAND HOLD on your phone mount

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Stencil NO HAND HOLD on your phone mount

Yellow triangle on the muffler saying NO STEP.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

*furiously jots down notes*

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

Yeah the OEM does bog down if you snatch the throttle but otherwise not problematic. Probably a little outside my ability to fit a new one.

I'm taking a motorcycle mechanic course at the local college this year so maybe I'll think about changing it up when I'm a little more confident.

If you have your stock tank still I'd recommend practicing with the heat gun on it first. It's really not too difficult and it's probably the biggest bang for your buck upgrade to the big red pig.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 6, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Also came home last night to find a construction crew had helpfully moved my bike to a new location on the street because some time after dinner a cement truck came by to drop some off along with a front end loader.

Like I could have lived it when I got home you jerks.

Sure, they had no way of knowing that so I'm not all ultra mad about it, but even just sticking some cones on the street a day before or a flyer taped to the cover asking me to move it would have been nice.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Picked up the bike from the shop yesterday.
They tuned the carbs and replaced the chain and sprocket.

It runs perfectly now, the 3 mile ride home from the shop was nice and smooth.
I'm not sure I'll actually insure and register it given that I live in Northern Michigan and we probably only have 3 decent days of riding left this year.

At some point it could use more cleaning / detailing. I've done a bit already and gotten most of the little bit of the corrosion off of the chrome (aluminum foil works wonders).

At least the Kawasaki runs fine.
Other than that, both need oil changes and the Suzuki seems to need a new bulb for the brake light.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

The styling on the boxes is ok I guess but I pulled them off. Located a set of Vetter bags. Gonna grab em tomorrow just for the quick disconnect, and also because maaaaaaybe I will not forget to latch them and have the lids shoot 30 feet into the air on the highway 🤷🏼‍♂️

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Underglow? A powerful move

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Underglow? A powerful move

You know obnoxious lighting by now with these, I’m just embracing it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm impressed this forum has aged to the point that we have multiple people with Gold Wings and aren't actively mocking them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

I'm impressed this forum has aged to the point that we have multiple people with Gold Wings and aren't actively mocking them.

I wanted to but after that video of dudes railing berms and hitting doubles with a goldwing I thought maybe I’d better shut the gently caress up until I’m a much better rider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deeters posted:

This is me irl

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've been waiting for someone to dig that pic up what with all the Oldwing posts lately. I never noticed the rider's right foot before - it looks like he's trying so hard to mash the rear brake and get the nose down that he broke the floorboard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You could get older Goldwings with pegs or floorboards. Sometimes depending on the trim level and sometimes depending on your personal preference. The pegs have that little upswept end cap on them I guess to keep your feet in place when pulling sick wheelies

tjones
May 13, 2005
As someone who rides a friend's floorboarded Harley when I'm bored and swapping bikes, gently caress floorboards. They serve no good purpose.

The same goes for dual lever shifters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought a spare gas tank for fifty bucks so I can repair and re-paint the old fairings off my 250 in my spare time and have a full set of easy to swap looks. This one is going to be flat army green so I can just easily re-spray as the pain flecks off or scratches.

No plans to stop riding with the silver now.

Also started building my relay triggered accessory wiring harness for the 5v USB. Running cables on this bike is kind of a pain in the dick and I’m not sure where I’m going to find room to stick my second fuse box. I’ll have to pull some junk out of the trunk, so to speak.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

To keep on thread:

If you're bothering with a relay, wire the control contact into your headlight instead of the ignition circuit so it's not draining while the engine isn't running (or, if your bike doesn't have automatic lights, you have the option of turning it off without adding a switch). Even with nothing plugged in those few watts might just be the difference between starting and not starting, so for the cost of some slightly longer wires and a little bit of fiddling it's worth doing it right IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My lic plate light is 12v and only hot when bike is started so I’m tapping into that for. Definitely want this off when it should be.