Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Managed to get a Titanicus game in to try out the new Acastus Knights. Their weapons are pretty scary, although strongly mitigated by having to both keep the banner out of sight of any quake cannons while ensuring they have their own line of sight, as unlike most titans they can't see over the scattered buildings.

First time using a Corsair Maniple too. It was pretty flexible, although I really missed the Axiom benefit as I managed to fail a lot of command checks. My single best roll of the game occurred after losing a Reaver and rolling Wild Fire on catastrophic damage. It fired everything into the nearest friendly Reaver, and I managed to roll five 6's on 5D6 to hit my own titan! Could have used that luck when I was missing nearly every melta cannon shot...

Think my next game will be trying out all four Acastus in a couple of Knight lances, along with supporting Warhounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Floppychop posted:

Get a single box of Graveguard or skeleton warriors then.

JcDent posted:

Or, you know, use Shadespire skellies as proxies for those.

no

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xtothez posted:

Managed to get a Titanicus game in to try out the new Acastus Knights. Their weapons are pretty scary, although strongly mitigated by having to both keep the banner out of sight of any quake cannons while ensuring they have their own line of sight, as unlike most titans they can't see over the scattered buildings.

First time using a Corsair Maniple too. It was pretty flexible, although I really missed the Axiom benefit as I managed to fail a lot of command checks. My single best roll of the game occurred after losing a Reaver and rolling Wild Fire on catastrophic damage. It fired everything into the nearest friendly Reaver, and I managed to roll five 6's on 5D6 to hit my own titan! Could have used that luck when I was missing nearly every melta cannon shot...

Think my next game will be trying out all four Acastus in a couple of Knight lances, along with supporting Warhounds.

Man, what a good looking game

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Necromunda is an Imperial Fists fief world right? Would it be a faux pas for the Ultramarines to be sticking they noses into the under hive?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Schadenboner posted:

Necromunda is an Imperial Fists fief world right? Would it be a faux pas for the Ultramarines to be sticking they noses into the under hive?

Questioning the Legiones Astartes and the Sons of Guilliman? That sounds dangerously like heresy citizen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Indolent Bastard posted:

Questioning the Legiones Astartes and the Sons of Guilliman? That sounds dangerously like heresy citizen.

I mean, it's the Fists who would be getting pissy here. They'd probably just lock themselves in their pain cubes and cry though.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Floppychop posted:

Get a single box of Graveguard or skeleton warriors then.

the skeleton warriors kit sucks

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Played a second 4 player warcry game today (teams this time). Wasn't really feeling it this time. I think war cry might be better suited to 1v1.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Booyah- posted:

the skeleton warriors kit sucks

Wrong o

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Schadenboner posted:

I could have sworn there's a case where some Ultramarines do just that (maybe not the Underhive, but something on Necromunda) in one of the lore bits from the Necromunda rulebook. I guess it'd depend what they were doing.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
If I bought the Palanite Enforcer Patrol just because they look rad, should I build them with the same loadouts that they have on the box, or is there anything I should stay away from in case I do actually play the game later?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Dragonshirt posted:

If I bought the Palanite Enforcer Patrol just because they look rad, should I build them with the same loadouts that they have on the box, or is there anything I should stay away from in case I do actually play the game later?

Take a look at the recommendations here: https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-your-move-creep-initial-impressions-of-the-palanite-enforcers/

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
That's perfect! Thanks, Booley!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Someone please talk me into/out of getting Aeronautica Imperialis, I like shooty planes and I’m bad with money.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I like shooty planes and I’m bad with money.
I think this is all you need, my friend. Welcome to the air war!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Should probably post the AI review here too. https://www.goonhammer.com/aeronautica-imperialis-review-tiny-planes-big-possibilities/

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm starting a Book of Judgement Law and Misrule campaign soon, with six gangs. Does anyone have any advice regarding the campaign, or problems they've run into with it?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Xenomrph posted:

Someone please talk me into/out of getting Aeronautica Imperialis, I like shooty planes and I’m bad with money.

Wait for cooler looking factions.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

mango sentinel posted:

Mods?!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Also worth mentioning that the first post-launch expansion (Ork 'Eavy Bomma) is in the Rynn's World book and is loving hilarious because one of the versions you can make uses guided bombs to literally bomb other planes mid-flight.

the guidance system is literally a grot strapped to the top of the bomb :allears:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

mango sentinel posted:

This. Or at least an avenger or something, geez. They picked the two least interesting imperial planes for this imo.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Reynold posted:

This. Or at least an avenger or something, geez. They picked the two least interesting imperial planes for this imo.

The thunderbolt and marauder are both awesome though?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Booley posted:

The thunderbolt and marauder are both awesome though?

I can understand people who are into the big flying brick aesthetic, but it's super not for me. Give me some croissants or sleek jets.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Thunderbolt is a beautiful hot rod

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Strobe posted:

The Thunderbolt is a beautiful hot rod

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kaza42 posted:

I'm starting a Book of Judgement Law and Misrule campaign soon, with six gangs. Does anyone have any advice regarding the campaign, or problems they've run into with it?

I don't mean to keep spamming Goonhammer links in here, but this might help: https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-whats-new-about-the-law-and-misrule-campaign/

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Strobe posted:

Also worth mentioning that the first post-launch expansion (Ork 'Eavy Bomma) is in the Rynn's World book and is loving hilarious because one of the versions you can make uses guided bombs to literally bomb other planes mid-flight.

the guidance system is literally a grot strapped to the top of the bomb :allears:

I'm sold already. Love me some Ork crazyness.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Xenomrph posted:

The great thing I've found about Titanicus (and I bet is true of AI as well) - You can put loads of effort into painting them to make them look fantastic or you can paint them and give them a dry brush and they still look really good.

To me the appeal of the game itself is no terrain and hex based movement (eliminating a lot of the judgement calls we have to make playing AT/War Cry/Kill Team) + choosing maneuvers simultaneously with your opponent making the game feel different.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I just got the AI starter for my birthday. Anyone got suggestions for how to outfit my initial tiny planes?

I'm going to grab the Rynn's World book (I nabbed a set of Marauder Destroyers because I was expecting to get it).

Now to find some colour/camouflage schemes for my planes...

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I just got the AI starter for my birthday. Anyone got suggestions for how to outfit my initial tiny planes?

I'm going to grab the Rynn's World book (I nabbed a set of Marauder Destroyers because I was expecting to get it).

Do the Thunderbolts as Furys with at least one set of AA missiles.
Marauders give them bombs.
Dakkajets give them a set of rokkits each (maybe 2).
Fighta bommers decide if you want to go fighter (extra set of guns + at least one set of rokkits) or bomber (3 sets of wing bombs).

I did mine in 50 point blocks but that was for running demos.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I got my AI starter yesterday. The map is a poster* and the rules only have one scenario** but the tokens aren't cereal card or anything and the rule book feels like it will hold together better than the blood bowl one.

I put the two thunderbolts together. They are really cool models and were fairly easy to put together (but there are a couple of pieces you really, really do not want to drop on the floor).

*I absolutely understand why they did it this way - keep the box as cheap as possible to encourage people picking it up. It worked on me.
**But there is such a thing as too cheap.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm honestly holding off on putting the little wing mounts until I have a better feel for the game. I may even paint them on sprue to avoid that misery waiting to happen.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Yvonmukluk posted:

I haven't played yet but I agree with Thundercloud. Look at what the plane does, how much it costs, and then decide on the role you want it to fulfil.

For me Furies are straight fighters with great mid-range firepower, so I added air to air missiles to beef out their long range for an early game punch, and it puts them at 25 points each. With two of those I have a 50 point force to learn the game with vs 3 Dakkajets.

Normal Thunderbolts are cheaper and more flexible, so I'll probably give them air to air, and air to ground missiles to let them perform a strike role.
Meanwhile Marauder Destroyers are incredible ground attack machines so I'll load those entirely with air to ground missiles, and their more mundane cousin purely with wing bombs as a vanilla Marauder probably doesn't want to be strafing.

Strobe posted:

I'm honestly holding off on putting the little wing mounts until I have a better feel for the game. I may even paint them on sprue to avoid that misery waiting to happen.

Honestly, WYSIWYG isn't all that important. I don't think it's even mentioned in the book. If you're using the cards the upgrades will be there, as opposed to peering under wings.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 13, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Honestly, WYSIWYG isn't all that important. I don't think it's even mentioned in the book. If you're using the cards the upgrades will be there, as opposed to peering under wings.

I built my thunderbolts 1 and 1 and just used cool looking load outs on them (and you best believe all the dakkajet models are getting built fully loaded). I figure the model count is low enough that I can paint each thunderbolt distinct enough to have loadouts based on stripes/decals.

Strobe posted:

If you're talking about the plastic flight stand - the instructions say not to glue them to the model in any case but yeah i'm not using them while painting. Can't imagine painting them via sprue - theres a lot of fiddly bits.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I mean the missiles and bombs that can be attached under the wings. I'll be painting those on the sprue because the contact point to the plane is also where the sprue connects to the piece and trying to paint the tops of those while they're on the wings sounds like a nightmare

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

I mean the missiles and bombs that can be attached under the wings. I'll be painting those on the sprue because the contact point to the plane is also where the sprue connects to the piece and trying to paint the tops of those while they're on the wings sounds like a nightmare

Ah that makes sense. I've only ever painted in sub assemblies on my warlord, it just doesn't occur to me to do it on small models (partly because things like that just don't bother me enough to get everything right - if it looks good on the table its good enough for me)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My planes need to look like I took the shrink machine from ‘Honey I Shrunk the Kids’ and miniaturized an actual airplane. I’ll also be sculpting custom, fully-detailed cockpit interiors, which you then won’t be able to see once I seal the cockpit back up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

My planes need to look like I took the shrink machine from ‘Honey I Shrunk the Kids’ and miniaturized an actual airplane. I’ll also be sculpting custom, fully-detailed cockpit interiors, which you then won’t be able to see once I seal the cockpit back up.

Soviet Robins Egg Blue, I hope?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I was watching a painting video and the guy mentioned the box of dakkajets having 12 flight stands - I only got the starter set so I have ten but I'm planning on getting some more planes, so if they are coming with double the flight stands (and I see how they could, being paired and all) I can use a few to make painting easier.

Can anyone confirm?

Also, apparently you can pop the base out. That's going to make painting the thing much less stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Flight stands used to be two to a sprue - one long, one short, and you would get one set of 2 per model. I don't think that's probably changed.