Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

folk just listin books now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Bridge of Birds, and Murderbot

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Bridge of Birds, and Murderbot

I would've bought Murderbot yesterday but it's still 9$+ goddamned dollars for 150 pages and Tor? gently caress you. Sell novellas properly.

(note: I don't do ebooks, I have been looking at used copies, etc etc)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
There will be a novel one day, and an omnibus, although I wouldn't put it past the publisher to insist on two two-novella volumes.

Worth the wait.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Cry Pilot of Lot 49

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Kestral posted:

I've been tearing through Kameron Hurley's Light Brigade and enjoying it a great deal - how does the rest of her work stack up?

Hurley in general is very good imho.

I did bounce off of God's War (the first Bel Dame novel) pretty hard - found it too dark, couldn't stand the protagonist. I don't think this means it was bad though, it just had a somewhat unique goal which it pursued successfully.

All of her work is dark, but Bel Dame is the most upfront about it, the most confrontational in its use of body and psychological horror tropes.

Reading posts Hurley wrote from around the time God's War was published, I gathered that her thesis at the time was, more or less, that the male gaze still predominated in genre literature even with the increased diversity of creators and narratives over the previous decade or so. A lot more books about female characters, PoC characters or queer characters, but most of em still calibrated to be paleteable to predominantly straight white cismale audiences. The implication being that there were still types of role that people weren't comfortable filling with female or queer characters because this would be threatening in some way, one of these roles being the brutal antihero.

(When I say antihero, I don't mean someone like Han Solo, who imo is just a byronic hero. I mean someone who is flat out a bad person, like Conan or the guy from Yojimbo)

One way we could think of this is that these characters carry a sort of burden of sympathy - they are expected to be likable to a broad audience, whereas someone like Conan or Achilles or whoever need not be likable so long as they are interesting.

Now, it certainly wasn't Hurley's only motivation for writing the series or her only conceit in crafting it, but it seems like a big impetus for the Bel Dame books was to refute this by writing something with a queer female protagonist who will manipulate, lie, steal and murder with, if not no compunction, then at least very little compunction.

Why was I uncomfortable reading about Nyx, yet remain comfortable reading about someone like Baru, who has done worse* things? I'm not sure, but making people think about that is probably one of the reasons Hurley wrote those books the way she did.

*or at least equally bad things, on a larger scale.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 2, 2019

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tell me about Cry Pilot

there's a bit of generic guy who has a dark secret joins the military and attends bootcamp with the smart one, the hot one, the weird one and the rich one.

there's some post environmental apocalypse mixed with big things attacking ala neon genesis.

there's some psd relating to the secret past.

I liked it but i'm sure i'll forgotten it all by the time the sequel comes out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

branedotorg posted:

there's a bit of generic guy who has a dark secret joins the military and attends bootcamp with the smart one, the hot one, the weird one and the rich one.

there's some post environmental apocalypse mixed with big things attacking ala neon genesis.

there's some psd relating to the secret past.

I liked it but i'm sure i'll forgotten it all by the time the sequel comes out.

Mmm, sounds good but not urgent to pick up, okay.

I really like this trend of old-school mecha anime finding its way into american sci-fi.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

Self plugging a story that's out today at Flash Fiction Online. It's my first pro sale since The Third Martian Dick Temple.

Together We Will Burn Forever

Only 2000 more words to go until I'm eligible for a SFWA membership!

From last page, but this owned. Thanks for linking it.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
To everyone saying they liked my story, thanks so much! I've been following this thread for almost a decade, and knowing I did something you folk like is even better than getting paid for it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BananaNutkins posted:

Self plugging a story that's out today at Flash Fiction Online. It's my first pro sale since The Third Martian Dick Temple.

Together We Will Burn Forever

Only 2000 more words to go until I'm eligible for a SFWA membership!

Excellent. Keep em coming.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't often reread but I felt like picking up A Fire Upon the Deep again and man, it's exactly as good as I remembered.

That's one of the scifi classics that never clicked with me. I like some of the ideas and the galaxy Usenet is awesome but I hate the Tines and couldn't care less about the plot.

I've never brought myself to read A Deepness in the Sky, despite no Tines...it's been on my shelf for years. Maybe one day. I do think Vinge is a pretty good writer which is why I haven't gotten rid of it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I liked them both, but couldn't bring myself to finish the third book, which has all the tines that weren't in Deepness.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I felt the same way about the tines/plot of the first one. Vastly preferred A Deepness in the Sky. Could be worth checking out for you.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A Deepness in the Sky is as good as Tineworld 2: Medieval Puppy Boogaloo is bad

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

A Deepness in the Sky is as good as Tineworld 2: Medieval Puppy Boogaloo is bad

Vinge was a professor and Deepness’ main plot foil (the focused) was just an analogy to grad students and other academics/university staff.

Good read but realizing that makes reading about that faction rather amusing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I liked them both, but couldn't bring myself to finish the third book, which has all the tines that weren't in Deepness.

I finished it but might not have if I didn't expect another book. Here we are a decade or so later with no hint of such a thing happening, despite Children of the Sky mostly setting up a finale...

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Neurosis posted:

I finished it but might not have if I didn't expect another book. Here we are a decade or so later with no hint of such a thing happening, despite Children of the Sky mostly setting up a finale...

Vinge's short story "The Blabber" was the real final story in the tines timeline, at least for me.
Tines won the decades delayed Blight invasion, tines expanded into space, then tines got their asses kicked hard, the end.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

lot more anti-spacedog bias itt than id have expected

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Flenser’s like “they’re good dogs Brant...but they could be better”

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Vinge was writing about one novel per five years, but it’s been 8 since Children. I’m curious if he’s retired or decided against continuing that story.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
child me says thanks for teaching me the word "flense" Vernor!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just finished Travel Light by Naomi Mitchison after seeing it discussed in This is How You Lose the Time War. It's a non-LOTR inspired fantasy; it was published before the Hobbit by a couple years. Mitchison was a friend of Tolkien's though, and actually a proofreader for LOTR. So you can see sort of two radically different fantasy journeys coming from the same time and place. Halla is a princess with an evil stepmother, as a result she's raised by bears and dragons before finding her own way in the world. The bork sort of travels from the fairy tale into the real world that sees the waning of old gods and the rise of Christianity and Islam. It's short, <150 pages, but a pretty good read!

I'll probably be checking out some other books by her, if anyone has any recommendations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

General Battuta posted:

The Flenser’s like “they’re good dogs Brant...but they could be better”

Tyrathect is a FANTASTIC character.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Velius posted:

Vinge was writing about one novel per five years, but it’s been 8 since Children. I’m curious if he’s retired or decided against continuing that story.

I saw him at Boskone a few years ago and he didn't look super great. He's 74, so health might be an issue :smith:

e: jesus christ, my dad is 71 and futureshocked to hell and gone, barely able to cope emotionally with this strange world of cardboard guitars and computer samples, let alone a world where recorded history began with the UNIX Epoch. puts some peoples' unwillingness to cope with change into perspective.

just a bit.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 4, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Vinge's short story "The Blabber" was the real final story in the tines timeline, at least for me.
Tines won the decades delayed Blight invasion, tines expanded into space, then tines got their asses kicked hard, the end.
Yeah, I second this, it's a really good cap on Fire and I wasn't expecting it to be so that made me like it more.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I guess if you wanted a new Heinlein novel, your prayers have been answered. :toot:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

XBenedict posted:

I guess if you wanted a new Heinlein novel, your prayers have been answered. :toot:

why is that a kickstarter

just publish it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

XBenedict posted:

hell no

Heinlein is for me the author I read in my younger days and when returning to years later found it to be absolute garbage

I will concede that his juveniles are fun - "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" is great. But trying to reread Stranger in a Strange Land and the Lazarus Long books as an adult was horrifying.

how much incest and self-inserts does this one have? donate to our kickstarter to find out!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

why is that a kickstarter

just publish it

That's how I felt about the Frozen Hell kickstarter too, beyond it being full of KS-bait like collectible prints and poo poo.

I gotta love this bit from the Heinlein kickstarter though:

quote:

Upon it's (sic) release The Number of the Beast perplexed fans and critics alike. Not only is it different from anything Heinlein had ever written before, it is totally unconventional in its structure, presentation and story-telling. Many readers and critics did not consider it a "good" book in the traditional sense. However, it still has nearly a four star rating on Goodreads (with over 11,000 ratings)

mmmmm that faint praise tastes so good.

edit: seriously how do you even say "nearly a four star rating" about a sci-fi novel from a well-known author and not realize that's really not a great brag? Goodreads ratings practically start at 3 stars, especially for genre novels

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

hell no

Heinlein is for me the author I read in my younger days and when returning to years later found it to be absolute garbage

I will concede that his juveniles are fun - "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" is great. But trying to reread Stranger in a Strange Land and the Lazarus Long books as an adult was horrifying.

how much incest and self-inserts does this one have? donate to our kickstarter to find out!

Yeah, paradoxically I think the Heinlein books with real survivability over the long term will be his juveniles like Citizen of the Galaxy. His later stuff is . .. . yeaaah.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Are any of his non-juveniles still good? I've had The Moon is a Harsh Mistress on my reading list for ages but I've been so leery of him in my adulthood that I've never gotten around to it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

Are any of his non-juveniles still good? I've had The Moon is a Harsh Mistress on my reading list for ages but I've been so leery of him in my adulthood that I've never gotten around to it.

If you're only going to read one Heinlein that's probably the one to read; it's the balance point between his juvies and his crazy poo poo, so you get a sense of both. Avoid anything he wrote after that unless you're writing a paper on Heinlein.

His best overall novel though is probably Citizen of the Galaxy, his last true juvie.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 5, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

sometimes when people are telling me a real hard luck story ("i got evicted without cause and am homeless now", "my workplace forces me to work 70 hour weeks via mandatory overtime", etc) i feel i must remind them of the true meaning of suffering

"i have read robert anson heinlein's The Number of the Beast" i tell them

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 5, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PupsOfWar posted:

sometimes when people are telling me a real hard luck story ("i got evicted without cause and am homeless now", "my workplace forces me to work 70 hour weeks via mandatory overtime", etc) i feel i must remind them of the true meaning of suffering

"i have read robert anson heinlein's The Number of the Beast" i tell them

And their nipples went spung!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Jedit posted:

And their nipples went spung!

I had a hardback version as a youth that had those nipples lovingly drawn in as one of the chapter illustrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

When I was much younger I had a co-worker whose opinion on books was an influence, and she really loved Heinlein. Boy, did I try. I kinda slogged through Stranger in a Strange Land and took it for granted that I wasn't going to get its message, and that I was bored and repulsed by the author's self-insert because I just didn't get it. Moon/Harsh I overall liked, but the smug insular enclaves that Heinlein likes to draw his characters into was starting to wear. With every good intention I bought Time Enough for Love, but first started reading The Number of the Beast, and I was finally confronted with the fact that I not only was being actively repelled by this man's writing, but that it was straight up Not Very Good At All. I think I lost interest right around Lazurus Long's introduction in Beast, I was just done with the guy. True story: I'm going through dozens and dozens of books I will never read again and packing them into cartons to sell off, and the Heinleins went in just a few days ago.

spung!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
You know, I totally did grab a pickup line from Number of the Beast. I can't say it ever worked but it still makes me laugh. Well, I adapted this to a pickup line

quote:

"Well...he's not a member of the Ku Klux Klan -- "
" -- but he's a wizard under a sheet!"

Oh god. It's like repressed memories...

quote:

Today I was most pleased that Mama had required me to wear a bra for
tennis and horseback and such -- no stretch marks, no "Cooper's droop," no
sag,

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 5, 2019

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

edit: seriously how do you even say "nearly a four star rating" about a sci-fi novel from a well-known author and not realize that's really not a great brag? Goodreads ratings practically start at 3 stars, especially for genre novels

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
First three Cradle books are free right now: https://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Foundation-Collected-Book-ebook/dp/B076G8DVN6/