Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Oodles posted:

So, alkahistory I've unlocked the top section. But it feels like I'm missing something.

I'd imagine the one i'm missing generates me time, as i've got nothing that's increasing my time. And also, i'm finding the rabbithole at the top is tracking my time, but it's decreasing. Not sure what else is demanding time, as I'd thought I've switched all consumers off. And I cant see a laser going anywhere.

Help.

I don't play the game, but I believe based on someone's comment earlier in the thread, the rabbithole does something with Offline Time, necessitating closing the game for some time or something like that in order to get it running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Klungar posted:

I don't play the game, but I believe based on someone's comment earlier in the thread, the rabbithole does something with Offline Time, necessitating closing the game for some time or something like that in order to get it running.

aha, you're right. If I change tabs the number accrues.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oodles posted:

aha, you're right. If I change tabs the number accrues.

also the space stuff: check your secondary recipes on some of them, you're probably eating a something you need to generate the next thing

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just realized that the first time I played Alkahistorian I began straight with Part III

That might be one of the reasons it made such an impression on me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can generate time usually from keeping the game closed, but the 3rd recipe from the 3'o clock node (Measurer of Timelines) also generates it.

I'm a little farther into the game and things are nuts. I can barely tell where to focus my attention on. I love it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I just realized that the first time I played Alkahistorian I began straight with Part III

That might be one of the reasons it made such an impression on me.

I delved straight into part 3 also.

And also currently needing to generate loads of space so I can make air seeds.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Part 1 is babby's first incremental. It has a core concept and a quick ending. Part 2 expanded on it while remaining simple and maybe wasn't as good.

Holy crap part 3 is awesome. I stayed up way too late fiddling with everything and it's a brilliant incremental in that you actually have to know what things do and understand your complex machine instead of just punching more buildings that go up in cost.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Good choice, Air is the easiest of the four followed by Water. Earth appears easy to start but it requires a semi-active approach to balance out until maximized and Fire is fully active to start and requires a bunch of babying through to the middle.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I somehow managed to get Earth first, and I’ve unlocked water and identified Fire. I need space to get Air.

It’s just a shame it’s Earth then Air for reducing the Alka requirement on the Mixer.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh wow I started on Part 3 without realizing there were two others before it. I bounced off Pt3 the first time but have gotten into it enough this time to 'get' it and how the fiddling of knobs works to enable processes and how to run down the list of what something needs to figure out what to have off and on and I'm on the 3rd ring of stuff (where you get Time and Space and the Mixer and such) and, more than anything, I'm just enjoying leaving Gold production on and watching the light show in the middle two rings. It really is a visually beautiful game.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

NGU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
thats the sex number

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Magres posted:

It really is a visually beautiful game.

If the person behind it ever just wants to make a visualizer-style version with everything going, it'd be great.

I wish I wasn't too dumb to understand the game though. :saddowns:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oodles posted:

I somehow managed to get Earth first, and I’ve unlocked water and identified Fire. I need space to get Air.

It’s just a shame it’s Earth then Air for reducing the Alka requirement on the Mixer.

I have Earth and water sort of going down in the garden area but I think I need to divert to plastic or gently caress around with space? Or maybe look at my recipes and see if I can get the mixer upgraded

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Alkahistorian sounds like the new hip thing so I started it. Chapter 1 is fun with an interesting story, took me 318 clicks to finish according to the ending.

I've started Chapter 2 and opened the Earth portal, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to enable the Liquefier ton convert it into Water. :confused: There's 400+ earth in it, but it doesn't do anything. The FAQ screen mentions turning off the primary element vale thing and turning on the secondary one, but still no go.
What's the correct setup supposed to look like?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In the upper-left of your screenshot you have an unpurchased upgrade to unlock water.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You need Water from its respective rift. In Chapter 2 and 3 you first need to passively generate an income from the 4 basic elements before engaging in the machines and other mechanics.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Cheers, I thought I'd alread purchased that. :downs:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Skip stage 2 IMO, its nowhere near as interesting as the other two. Once you have all 4 elements and max rotation speed on the machine you need to accrue 1 million of air/fire while you make like 50 per second.

To try to answer your question, i see that you can afford an upgrade as the "Open Water Rift" button is green, it should be pretty self explainatory what this does ;)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I didn't even realize there were two previous alkahistorian maps, I just jumped into the deep end

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think I stopped somewhere in Alkahistorian because I got stuck at one of the resource loops involving Cryo-ice or something and might've skipped ahead or missed something to make the loop smoother.

Edit: It was actually building up Fire Essence and Blast that's blocking me I think

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 5, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Xelkelvos posted:

I think I stopped somewhere in Alkahistorian because I got stuck at one of the resource loops involving Cryo-ice or something and might've skipped ahead or missed something to make the loop smoother.

Edit: It was actually building up Fire Essence and Blast that's blocking me I think

lol that's exactly what I'm working on now

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I must be in a similar state, though it is really hard to see what my progress is. I'm working on the garden, since getting Pure Essence Earth is the key to upgrading the Mixer and I think that'll open the floodgates. I keep unlocking more nodes which needs more things I can barely make. Focusing on the garden is keeping my head straight at least.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So the part I got stuck on in alkahistorian is that when you are making coolant and getting to superconducting coolant, put the input slider all the way left. Otherwise it waits until you have more energy than you can ever produce to activate, so you never get enough to unlock the next thing.

Oh and with the gardens it's a scaling production, so balance how many seeds you have with the amount of soil. They all have positive feedback loops that are slightly different, but Earth is easy to kill your production with overharvesting.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Can you go into a little detail on how scaling works? Does it have something to do with the production pie chart? I still don't know how to read that either.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I'm banging my head on the second Alkahistorian game. At some point you're supposed to make golems again by overflowing Orbs, but the interface is so obtuse it's impossible to find the correct setting to get it to work.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Can you go into a little detail on how scaling works? Does it have something to do with the production pie chart? I still don't know how to read that either.

Basically it's an indicator of how much output you get from the inputs. Scaling means it will use all available ingredients (subject to ratio, if there's not enough of input A to match with input B it will be limited by input A and input B's excess will remain) above the input limits to produce the output, fixed means it will use that amount of input to produce that amount of output.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merijn posted:

Alkahistorian sounds like the new hip thing so I started it.

It's actually pretty old for a finished game. I suppose it got new content or people just happened to try it out again since someone started talking about it?
Full disclaimer: I mostly skim this thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GrossMurpel posted:

It's actually pretty old for a finished game. I suppose it got new content or people just happened to try it out again since someone started talking about it?
Full disclaimer: I mostly skim this thread

I mentioned it and a couple other people happened to be playing it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's the key to getting a lot of space? The only recipe of it that generates the amount I need for air seeds is comparatively slow. Just a waiting game?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

SettingSun posted:

What's the key to getting a lot of space? The only recipe of it that generates the amount I need for air seeds is comparatively slow. Just a waiting game?

So space is a triple feedback loop. Spatial makes space, temporal makes spatial, and parallel + space makes temporal. So you get parallel to cap and then the three resources just gradually climb up the exponents. 1e7 is the most you'll need for any worthwhile upgrade.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Evolve

I picked this up a couple of days ago. Does it ever get less needy? It feels like there's a whole lot of knobs to twist that really make each step work, which is a big realtime sink.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So space is a triple feedback loop. Spatial makes space, temporal makes spatial, and parallel + space makes temporal. So you get parallel to cap and then the three resources just gradually climb up the exponents. 1e7 is the most you'll need for any worthwhile upgrade.

This almost makes sense to me. I can't seem to generate Parallel in any meaningful amount. It's at its low cap (from Triple Compressed Space) but the second recipe barely generates any at all. I feel like I'm missing something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Toshimo posted:

Evolve

I picked this up a couple of days ago. Does it ever get less needy? It feels like there's a whole lot of knobs to twist that really make each step work, which is a big realtime sink.

Not really from what I've been told, and this is why I ended up dropping it. It seems like there's things that make it easier to manage later on like the ability to set up queues from the start of a run but you are always going to be twisting those knobs to make poo poo happen.

Edit: For the record, I think I'd be more okay with this if it just had a way to let me skip or expedite the poo poo out of the early game once I get to the next stage. This feels to me like if every rebirth in NGU I had to work my way through the adventure zones from the beginning in order to get to the zone I'm actually at. Which I guess you kind of do but it takes a second to get there.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 5, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

SettingSun posted:

This almost makes sense to me. I can't seem to generate Parallel in any meaningful amount. It's at its low cap (from Triple Compressed Space) but the second recipe barely generates any at all. I feel like I'm missing something.

Same rule as everything else in the game: Hunt down whatever is using the resource and shut it off. A lot of stuff comes from feedback loops that can't get off the ground if you're just turning things on all the time. Once you have a sufficient amount you'll out-produce your consumption via the feedback loop but it can't get there until then.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Toshimo posted:

Evolve

It's always gonna be kittens game, the early is the worst culprit. Especially the first few runs. Once you're farther in the queue does A TON to make it more idle but if you didn't find catte to be compelling this will be a tough one

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Doubleposting to ask uh what am I supposed to do to get the t3 reset? I've build a mass ejector and it doesn't appear to DO anything and I'm out of research and multipart buildings to buy

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

If anyone is looking for a throwback, the official Cookie Clicker app is in Beta on Android.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.dashnet.cookieclicker

Post from Orteil: https://orteil42.tumblr.com/post/186866394810/cookie-clicker-for-android-is-now-officially-in

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

GB_Sign posted:

If anyone is looking for a throwback, the official Cookie Clicker app is in Beta on Android.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.dashnet.cookieclicker

Post from Orteil: https://orteil42.tumblr.com/post/186866394810/cookie-clicker-for-android-is-now-officially-in

He's doing it! Making the dream happen on mobile! It only took him a decade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Eldercain posted:

Doubleposting to ask uh what am I supposed to do to get the t3 reset? I've build a mass ejector and it doesn't appear to DO anything and I'm out of research and multipart buildings to buy

So there's two types of matter, normal and exotic. Both makes the black hole bigger (and increasing the power gained from it) but only exotic will eventually allow you to Big Bang and/or burn all of the exotic collected to multiply the size for greater gains later. The two materials that are Exotic enough for the ejector are Elerium and Infernite and you'll need 0.025. Starting from 1/1 and building to about 4/3 I was able to move on in ~3 days

It does need a bit more to do while you're waiting around, though.