Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

I mean I think they're ugly, but I can see owning one of your favorite character or something but.. poo poo at least amiibo or beanie babies look different

its like thx 1138

they just haven't graduated to the "throw it away" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They're more like the disney mickey figurines

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
thing is about funko pops is that they're specifically set to be as cheap as possible to make and to buy, the smallest necessary variations on a literal mould, and the RRP is below most people's threshold for not even thinking about each individual purchase. (Sure, some are fancier than others, but they're loss leaders) So you can grab any one that looks neat and/or completes your set without thinking about it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

thing is about funko pops is that they're specifically set to be as cheap as possible to make and to buy, the smallest necessary variations on a literal mould, and the RRP is below most people's threshold for not even thinking about each individual purchase. (Sure, some are fancier than others, but they're loss leaders) So you can grab any one that looks neat and/or completes your set without thinking about it

Oh it is a well calculated insidious addiction, that is for sure. Evil Genius is still evil and I don't have to hand it to them

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
my brother recently sent me a picture of his work cubicle where he has dozens of funko pops on display. he just turned 30, and I am very concerned about his health

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

I wonder if this was something that took over the space over time, replacing other mass produced nerd tat, or if the old nerd tat was moved temporarily so that the photographer could create a shrine to their poor purchasing decisions. I'm leaning towards the latter if only because there are a few dozen pet toys in the bins to the right of the shelves that aren't currently scattered around the room.

Is there some sort of home organization, hoarders show where they go into these nerd houses and help people deal with their obsessive need to buy and display toys?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

One year my family figured since I'm into nerd poo poo that they would get me Funko pops. Thanks to them I have three in my place, sitting there doing nothing but stare at me with their lifeless, beady eyes. I don't get what the appeal is either but since they were gifts it's polite to make sure they're seen if family visits. At least they got the characters/franchises I'm into right. I have no desire to get any more on my own but do I avoid giving them food after midnight and keep them from getting wet? I don't understand how people get mega collections like that.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
If you pointed to a random one of Funkodad's collection, and ask him who that is, I'd bet he couldn't name half of them.

This applies to the family photo on the bottom shelf as well

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Has anyone said Funko Poops yet???

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stevie Lee posted:

my brother recently sent me a picture of his work cubicle where he has dozens of funko pops on display. he just turned 30, and I am very concerned about his health

Intervention.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

it's called the HEconomy and it's just for the fellas

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm the family picture that's been relegated to the bottom shelf.

I was going to be that but I got distracted by work and forgot to post it :argh:

I guess I'll just settle for being the can of mountain dew just barely peeking up from the bottom of the picture, because of course.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Bury me with my funko pops so they may serve me in the afterlife

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Fucko Plops

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brain Curry posted:

They'll be just as useful there, I can guarantee that

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

I was going to be that but I got distracted by work and forgot to post it :argh:

I guess I'll just settle for being the can of mountain dew just barely peeking up from the bottom of the picture, because of course.

I'm also posting at work, but unlike you I have my priorities straight!!!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brain Curry posted:

Funkopic Urns

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

At least they’re easy to resell if you get them as a gift but I doubt most people would make the effort for a few bucks

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

“Daddy can I play with your toys?”

“Son, if you touch my funko pops I will end you”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Nastier Nate posted:

“Daddy can I play with your toys?”

“Who are you and what are you doing in my house?”

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I am the abandoned candyland board game the only activity I ever do with my kid beyond handing them and ipad and telling them I'm busy.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

I'm the picture of the little girl from Stranger Things seemingly taped to the side of the shelving because????

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irradiation posted:

I'm the picture of the little girl from Stranger Things seemingly taped to the side of the shelving because????

I didn't realise Drake was so into Funko Pops

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im the baker's dozen of pennywise the dancing clowns AND the pair of georgie's

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm the 13 different Pennywise figures

e: gently caress

ok in that case I'm the two full shelves on the right where I can't recognize a single character because they all look exactly the same

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm the wasting of human potential and finite petroleum resources being squandered.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm the reduction of a potentially recognizable and even interesting character to a simple dead-eyed ovoid thing designed solely to be a disposable consumer item communicating "I Have Consumed, Because I Like/Remember Thing."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

obvious plant is good

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm the reduction of a potentially recognizable and even interesting character to a simple dead-eyed ovoid thing designed solely to be a disposable consumer item communicating "I Have Consumed, Because I Like/Remember Thing."

The Brand Requires

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

obvious plant is good

Huh. I figured it might be some fake thing, but drat, that's neat

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

When aliens find the remains of our civilization far in the future they're gonna find this room and think we worshipped these little figurines, and they won't be wrong

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Huh. I figured it might be some fake thing, but drat, that's neat

yeah he does a ton of really high quality fake products

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

norwegian foodora cyclists (deliveroo knockoff basically) are on strike. it owns.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tunicate posted:

yeah he does a ton of really high quality fake products

And always includes, very clearly, the words "Obvious Plant"

... and people still fall for it, like very single time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even if the product is fake I could easily see it being real. It would not be out of place in a Spirit Halloween shop.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

V. Illych L. posted:

norwegian foodora cyclists (deliveroo knockoff basically) are on strike. it owns.

they’re voting on unionization here soon, I think

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Chomp8645 posted:

Even if the product is fake I could easily see it being real. It would not be out of place in a Spirit Halloween shop.

thanks, dressing up as an emergency room bill for Halloween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ok what is Spirit Halloween? I've seen it a bunch like just this year. Is it a new American thing?