Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My parents are Presbyterian and my father, at 73, is towards the younger end of their church's membership. They're all dying(churches and members) and none of them want to bit the bullet and start merging because TRADITION
Yip. See also my Texan grandmother's Southern Baptist church that died out because the ethnic composition of the area changed and nobody wanted "Mexicans" in their church. Evangelicals made out like bandits, because they actually did proselytize Hispanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So... What's happening now? I feel like we're still in calvinball land, and anything can happen. Bojo says no to an extension, but what can force him?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Harik posted:

it's astounding just how fast bojo managed to completely gently caress this up. some kind of record?

he sits shrieking, a prisoner of downing street. "election! election you cowards!"

but they will not release him

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm still holding out on Boris or Farage invading the rest of Ireland with support from Trump

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1169681044573962240?s=19

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
He looks so wretched and tired, like a fat scarecrow given life by the curse of a wizard

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yip. See also my Texan grandmother's Southern Baptist church that died out because the ethnic composition of the area changed and nobody wanted "Mexicans" in their church. Evangelicals made out like bandits, because they actually did proselytize Hispanics.

???the southern baptists are an evangelical denomination tho?????????

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

twoday posted:

He looks so wretched and tired, like a fat scarecrow given life by the curse of a wizard
The wizard certainly didn't grant him a brain.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

AnoHito posted:

Aren't the people in the RoI pretty heavily in favor of reunification?

Recently it's always hovered around 49-51% in polls so nobody actually knows. The only part of the island where support for a united Ireland is growing is in NI (thanks Brexit!)

RoI has really only found its standing as an independent country in the last couple of decades and right now it has a tech boom economy fuelled by corporate tax breaks that is working well for now, but it's questionable how long it can be sustained. Brexit already threatens a huge blow to it, although the Irish government has been prepping hard since long before the referendum took place.

Reunification would increase the population of RoI by nearly 40% (4.8 million currently plus 1.8 million from NI) and NI is a pretty deprived area with a huge reliance on public sector employment that would disappear in the event of reunification and need a huge investment by the RoI, which they simply can't afford right now.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

All these twatwaffles in the replies going on about brexiters being "true democrats", using that same phrase like they're all mind-controlled (probably by the Sun) :vomarine:

e: I do like this reply.

gschmidl has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Sep 5, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Norton the First posted:

Are you saying DC Comics has been lying to me all these years?

well I mean they were half right so

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Come kiss me, Satan."

*bookmarks thread for later*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gschmidl posted:

All these twatwaffles in the replies going on about brexiters being "true democrats", using that same phrase like they're all mind-controlled (probably by the Sun) :vomarine:

mass media, and social media, are pervasive diseases. people just don't have the mental antibodies (to mix metaphors) to deal with them

mind you a lot of the Reply Guys are probably not entirely genuine. but some, of course, are

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

twoday posted:

Fuckin' lol.

A scruffy street urchin from a Dickens novel looking into a cursed mirror and being shown how he'll look in 50 years if he doesn't give up his grifting ways.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BMX Ninja posted:

Fuckin' lol.

A scruffy street urchin from a Dickens novel looking into a cursed mirror and being shown how he'll look in 50 years if he doesn't give up his grifting ways.

somewhere there's a painting of Boris getting more and more handsome with every passing day

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jose posted:

This is labours brexit plan put to a vote Vs remain if they get in

:yeshaha:

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Boris Johnson looks like a canary that's just been pulled out of a Etonian's anus after an elaborate hazing ritual.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

BMX Ninja posted:

Recently it's always hovered around 49-51% in polls so nobody actually knows. The only part of the island where support for a united Ireland is growing is in NI (thanks Brexit!)

RoI has really only found its standing as an independent country in the last couple of decades and right now it has a tech boom economy fuelled by corporate tax breaks that is working well for now, but it's questionable how long it can be sustained. Brexit already threatens a huge blow to it, although the Irish government has been prepping hard since long before the referendum took place.

Reunification would increase the population of RoI by nearly 40% (4.8 million currently plus 1.8 million from NI) and NI is a pretty deprived area with a huge reliance on public sector employment that would disappear in the event of reunification and need a huge investment by the RoI, which they simply can't afford right now.

my suspicion is that attitudes in ROI vis a vis Norn Iron are kind of analogous to attitudes in South Korea about the North-- a lot of older people all fired up on nationalism and memory who want to see the reunification project through, and a lot of younger people who didn't grow up in the shadow of the conflict wondering why their country wants to absorb a small, poor fixer-upper that they'll then have to pay for.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

more convincing evidence for the "nothing matters" crew

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm still super confused as to why the queen got dragged into this and supposedly approved the decision to suspend parliament. Did that just never really get written about or we are just pretending it never happened or what was the deal there?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SkyeCitySeries/status/1169591560075403264

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

redleader posted:

more convincing evidence for the "nothing matters" crew

Everything is imaginary: money, governments, countries, borders, taxes, laws, Britain, the EU, Brexit, pretty much everything. They only work if we believe in them. Now everyone is huffing paint and the very foundations of civilisation are melting like we're on a collective acid trip.

That's not to say things couldn't matter if we actually had some good imaginary rules, but right now, nothing matters lmao.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm still super confused as to why the queen got dragged into this and supposedly approved the decision to suspend parliament. Did that just never really get written about or we are just pretending it never happened or what was the deal there?

The Queen is imaginary.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why is it so difficult for americans to understand the ceremonial role of the monarchy

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

foobardog posted:

I personally think it should be a new series of Blackadder.

the prorogation gambit was a cunning enough plan to have come from the tactical mind of Baldric

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

oliwan posted:

Why is it so difficult for americans to understand the ceremonial role of the monarchy

brexit

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

RobattoJesus posted:

Everything is imaginary: money, governments, countries, borders, taxes, laws, Britain, the EU, Brexit, pretty much everything. They only work if we believe in them. Now everyone is huffing paint and the very foundations of civilisation are melting like we're on a collective acid trip.

That's not to say things couldn't matter if we actually had some good imaginary rules, but right now, nothing matters lmao.

The Queen is imaginary.

"Ideology and Ideological State Apparatuses" - Louis Althusser

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

oliwan posted:

probably because it’s some weird rear end poo poo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wait why's there a lib dem being asked about the labour party

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

i has contacted Mr Pound’s office for comment.

well this is a perfect use of the mace if there ever was one

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

my suspicion is that attitudes in ROI vis a vis Norn Iron are kind of analogous to attitudes in South Korea about the North-- a lot of older people all fired up on nationalism and memory who want to see the reunification project through, and a lot of younger people who didn't grow up in the shadow of the conflict wondering why their country wants to absorb a small, poor fixer-upper that they'll then have to pay for.

I remember a poll a few years back which asked people in the RoI two questions.

"Would you support unification with Northern Ireland and a 32-county Republic?" had a small majority in favour, as was expected.

"Would you support unification with Northern Ireland and a 32-county Republic if it cost [reasonable but very expensive estimate for government spending and accompanying tax rises to pay for bringing NI into the fold, economic redevelopment and security/policing issues]" saw support drop to something like 30 per cent.

So by that your suspicion is probably correct; it's a worthy ideal but not one that many people are actually willing to make happen in the foreseeable, actual future.

Of course how this changes if the UK does a Yugoslavia, splinters internally and fucks its economy to the extent that the North actually wants to join the Republic is anyone's guess!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Grape posted:

did that lady like collapse from pure awkwardness or what the hell lol

They had been standing there for an hour and a half already without water or food or being able to sit down, cause he was an hour and a half late, and he was rambling nonsense and then doesn't even help someone who fainted behind him cause he was too busy complaining

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squizzle posted:

???the southern baptists are an evangelical denomination tho?????????

Sort of, they pretty much explicitly only evangelize to white people. That's why black Baptists have nothing to do with Southern Baptists.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

oliwan posted:

Gosh, what a puzzle.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oliwan posted:

yeah

Americans: she’s just like Congress here

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Guys guys, help me out here, why do people who don't live in the part of the world with a bunch of hollowed out ancien regimes understand them???
It's befuddlin' my mind!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

grape i mean this in the nicest possible way when i say this, but please stop making posts

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
It’s also because American politics are now used to everyone exploiting all of their power and loopholes to the maximum legal extent, gently caress any “norms” or customs. So the idea of someone with hypothetical power that is entirely ceremonial and cannot be used goes against the grain of American politics. If the house of lords were in the US their weird old man filibuster would be used every single time to the maximum extent crippling any legislation, and they’d have to replace the queen every election with a monarch aligned with the political party in power or they just wouldn’t give assent

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

what the gently caress is with his hair, does he not own a comb or hairbrush?

oliwan posted:

can't speak for my fellow countrymen but for years and years i've heard "oh no no no, if the queen ever dared try to actually exert any of the powers she theoretically retains, they'd instantly be taken away from her" and while in the past i've been willing to accept that, lately i'm much less convinced it would necessarily be the case.

you can't deny it would at minimum make for some interesting headlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what the gently caress is with his hair, does he not own a comb or hairbrush?

he does that on purpose