Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

this is why we were discussing nuclear, you clod
just for people like you with the attention span of a goldfish who can't follow a narrative from one page to another I laid out the specific conversational context in the first post of the page you replied on. And yet somehow you've already gotten confused.

quote:

Speaking of, it seems the Canadian government is showing interest in nuclear again, specifically small modular nuclear: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nuclear-power-small-modular-reactor-1.5188048
So in response to the "put up or shut up" for alternatives to supporting the 16 trillion dollar plan by a leading political candidate in a very near term election... you came up with... some press release article about a company who could maybe make a thing... no party or candidate or even investors... just some loving article.

quote:

Terrestrial Energy is designing a small modular reactor that it hopes will be operational in 2029.

thank you for perfectly encapsulating how trivial, inane, and totally disconnected from reality your understanding of the situation at hand is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Bernie having a theoretical better energy plan than other candidates is really a primary issue, not a "what should we do about energy" issue. He's wrong about that even if the other thing is true.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
given the time constraints they are the same issue

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The problem I have with the candidates that say they’re pro‐nuclear is that I don’t believe they will follow through on that in any significant way.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

silence_kit posted:

It doesn't make sense to me how posters in this thread can vaguely blame government regulations for all of the failures of nuclear electricity in recent years, and then in the same breath call for and think that a giant government program to build a lot of nuclear power plants is the way to go.

The majority opinion posters in this thread have consistently been wrong about the progress and prospects of renewable electricity generation. They've definitely changed their tune on renewable energy once it became apparent that it would really catch on. I don't know what the future of electricity generation will be but given the track record of the majority opinion posters of this thread, I suspect that the future might be the opposite of whatever they think.

Is there a dark enlightenment movement equivalent for liberalism cause god drat.

Platystemon posted:

The problem I have with the candidates that say they’re pro‐nuclear is that I don’t believe they will follow through on that in any significant way.

I don't think any other candidate is focused on energy in any way. While Bernie's plan is lacking in Nuclear, he has the most aggressive plan overall.

There are more than 100 reactors being built or planned at the moment worldwide. https://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/current-and-future-generation/plans-for-new-reactors-worldwide.aspx

They can and are being built. There's no reason not to include them in the overall plan to decarbonize. It would make Bernie's plan even better than it currently is.

Separately, one thing I haven't heard any discussion of with regards to renewables is the issue of overcapacity and diminishing returns.

SInce you have to build more renewables to cover for the intermittent nature of the power, each new unit installed yields less of a return due to it being used less overall. At a certain market penetration the rate of return essentially drops to zero. How do you overcome that economic barrier to reach 100% renewable? Now if we are talking 60% renewable 40 % nuclear it makes sense to me. otherwise it just seems to ignore some fundamental economics of the situation.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's no reason not to include them in the overall plan to decarbonize. It would make Bernie's plan even better than it currently is.
That's how you and I feel, but that's not what the primary voting electorate thinks. As Nocturtle very clearly pointed out with very simple graphs last page.

That is a real world constraint. We have to deal with that reality. We don't have time to wish it away anymore.

quote:

Separately, one thing I haven't heard any discussion of with regards to renewables is the issue of overcapacity and diminishing returns.

SInce you have to build more renewables to cover for the intermittent nature of the power, each new unit installed yields less of a return due to it being used less overall. At a certain market penetration the rate of return essentially drops to zero. How do you overcome that economic barrier to reach 100% renewable?
hmmm, maybe someone has thought of this before hmmmmm

quote:

Now if we are talking 60% renewable 40 % nuclear it makes sense to me. otherwise it just seems to ignore some fundamental economics of the situation.
fundamental indeed

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Is there a dark enlightenment movement equivalent for liberalism cause god drat.

marxpill

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 29, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

It doesn't make sense to me how posters in this thread can vaguely blame government regulations for all of the failures of nuclear electricity in recent years, and then in the same breath call for and think that a giant government program to build a lot of nuclear power plants is the way to go.

The majority opinion posters in this thread have consistently been wrong about the progress and prospects of renewable electricity generation. They've definitely changed their tune on renewable energy once it became apparent that it would really catch on. I don't know what the future of electricity generation will be but given the track record of the majority opinion posters of this thread, I suspect that the future might be the opposite of whatever they think.

Holy historical revisionism batman, did you suffer from a psychotic break or is your memory just poo poo?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
There have been a number of reports for this thread. I think primary chat is relevant to the discussion as it is now, and it isn’t specifically banned from this thread, but please behave and do not make me probe you at work, thanks.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

SInce you have to build more renewables to cover for the intermittent nature of the power, each new unit installed yields less of a return due to it being used less overall. At a certain market penetration the rate of return essentially drops to zero. How do you overcome that economic barrier to reach 100% renewable? Now if we are talking 60% renewable 40 % nuclear it makes sense to me. otherwise it just seems to ignore some fundamental economics of the situation.

To solve this you need a system that utilizes the a-priori needed overcapacity to overcome intermittence. For example (to tie this with a previous discussion), when your grid outputs a lot more than you need, you can power an energy-to-ammonia production base to store and use energy at night/when production is low, while at the same time solving both the fertilizer and marine propulsion problems.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Morbus posted:

Given:

1. The current cost and cost trajectories of wind & solar

2. The spectacular failure over the last 15 years of anyone to build nuclear reactors even remotely on time or on budget--due almost entirely to unforced fuckups and not ~*~regulation~*~

3. The extreme time pressures we are under to decarbonize

we are hosed

but we could be less hosed for less generations if we, say, go to 3.5°C warming instead of 6°C warming.

quote:

What is the logical basis for being so gung-ho about nuclear these days? Are these people who just formed their opinions around 2008 and haven't kept up, or is there something more to it? Unless you have some realistic plan to build thousands of reactors in 5-10 years (noting that most Gen IV designs are taking 10+ years to construct even one at a time), and an existing design with which to do it, isn't it more sensible to just throw trillions of dollars at solar/wind + storage?
China is building regular reactors in numbers that aren't a complete joke. Rumours of the demise of the Chinese nuclear expansion have been greatly exaggerated, they just waited until at least one unit of all the GenIII reactor types in build got finished before deciding on which ones to expand further.

None of the reactors currently being built in large numbers are GenIV, you're talking about GenIII which in the west got caught up in post Cold War neoliberalism hell. GenIV is stuff like sodium cooled breeder reactors etc which can help with nuclear waste management in the long term but don't matter for short term decarbonisation too much except as something to point to as an argument against nuclear waste being an eternal problem.

More important is the push towards SMRs which often aren't GenIV but are explicitly designed to address the constraints of capitalism.

quote:

Honestly, the time to be all in on nuclear was 20, 30 years ago. That ship has sailed. Time's up. The technology development that needed to happen didn't happen in time. The industrial expertise to build reactors isn't there. The promises of the Gen IV designs never materialized. What loving plausible trajectory is there to go from where we are now, to carbon free energy in 10, even 15 years, based mostly (or even significantly) on nuclear expansion? Versus just making GBS threads out photovoltaics like our lives depend on it?

In any case, it should be absolutely, 100% clear that the most critical priority is to commit to decarbonization.

Honestly, the time to be all in on just about anything was 20, 30 years ago. That ship has sailed. Time's up. It wasn't a problem of technology development (Gen II reactors and early Gen IIIs are perfectly usable and exist), but of political will and short term profits.

Even if you write a 16 trillion dollar check today renewables won't be fast enough to catch up and there will be enough fossil fuel fired backup that we won't meaningfully decarbonise in the mid term, at which point any nuclear construction beginning today would start becoming useful. Note by the way that natural gas literally has ad campaigns pointing out how you need more gas for renewables and things like the Ohio nuclear and coal bailout were major disappointments for fossil fuel companies despite the coal bailout part because they otherwise would've gotten to replace the reactors with gas.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

suck my woke dick posted:

China is building regular reactors in numbers that aren't a complete joke. Rumours of the demise of the Chinese nuclear expansion have been greatly exaggerated, they just waited until at least one unit of all the GenIII reactor types in build got finished before deciding on which ones to expand further.

WRT China, you can view this process as the same approach they had with high-speed rail. Start by shopping around, then move to ToT deals, improve the design while removing intellectual property right-limited components at the same time, test it thoroughly, bring it to market and THEN use it to furiously expand.

Right now, they are at the phase of completing their GenIII merged design, and are waiting for this.

If the design proves successful, they are going into overdrive with them (both in China and as exports).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

That's how you and I feel, but that's not what the primary voting electorate thinks. As Nocturtle very clearly pointed out with very simple graphs last page.

That doesn't mean we just give up and go with bernies plan, it means we support bernie and continue to try to educate him and the rest of his supporters.

You seem like you have an agenda that you are trying to mask as just the most practical thing in some "objective" way.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 29, 2019

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it is objectively the most practical thing

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"The most objectively practical thing just happens to be the thing that is the least amount of work for me personally."

If you say so but I'm gonna keep trying to help other people not be idiots and achieve actual decarbonization.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no you're not. you're sandbagging the one viable option with concern trolling and making perfect the enemy of good.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

no you're not. you're sandbagging the one viable option with concern trolling and making perfect the enemy of good.

No and you are a loving idiot. Wanting bernie to improve is not sandbagging him gently caress off you dumb shithead

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

StabbinHobo posted:

I think that you are misunderstanding something. Critisizing Sanders for some of his policy ideas does not mean that he is magically cancelled because of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dante80 posted:

WRT China, you can view this process as the same approach they had with high-speed rail. Start by shopping around, then move to ToT deals, improve the design while removing intellectual property right-limited components at the same time, test it thoroughly, bring it to market and THEN use it to furiously expand.

Right now, they are at the phase of completing their GenIII merged design, and are waiting for this.

If the design proves successful, they are going into overdrive with them (both in China and as exports).

China also has a LFTR on the horizon IIRC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fluoride_thorium_reactor#Chinese_thorium_MSR_project

Initial test model (10MW) should go online in 2025.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dante80 posted:

I think that you are misunderstanding something. Critisizing Sanders for some of his policy ideas does not mean that he is magically cancelled because of them.

It is impossible to converse on forums when people continually forget the context every 5+ posts and act like these comments are stand alone full statement policy positions.

The climate change thread, and several *pages* of this thread were being shitted up by people saying that Bernie's plan was poo poo, it'll never work, people who aren't pro nuke are stupid/evil, etc. My argument has only ever been against them, not against anyone trying to constructively criticize and/or work with the campaign to improve (can you point to one example of that though?)

The only two posters who managed to read, comprehend, and *then* post are Morbus and Nocturtle.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

StabbinHobo posted:

It is impossible to converse on forums when people continually forget the context every 5+ posts and act like these comments are stand alone full statement policy positions.

The climate change thread, and several *pages* of this thread were being shitted up by people saying that Bernie's plan was poo poo, it'll never work, people who aren't pro nuke are stupid/evil, etc. My argument has only ever been against them, not against anyone trying to constructively criticize and/or work with the campaign to improve (can you point to one example of that though?)

The only two posters who managed to read, comprehend, and *then* post are Morbus and Nocturtle.
You are explicitly coming in here to address climate thread drama. You are not addressing challenges facing either going 100% renewable or restarting the US nuclear program. You are presenting your opinions as facts (in an ironic way too, "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" is rather rich from someone who demands 100% renewable generation within 10 years). Your entire effort in this thread seems centered around defending a political policy from a candidate rather than an honest examination and discussion of present and future possibilities in energy generation. You're the worst poster in this thread by a country mile and should probably go to the Dem Primary thread, where your full-throated screaming in favor of Bernie, regardless of how sound his policy may be in some areas, will fit in nicely.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pander posted:

You are presenting your opinions as facts
which of these facts do you think are my opinion

- if we exceed 2C there will likely be a 10M - 100M bodycount from drought/famine/war (IPCC if you read through the obvious dry language)
- in order to not exceed 2C we need to decarbonize by 2050 (IPCC, very conservative, assumes very large scale NET)
- in order to decarbonize by 2050 we need to start by 2020 (outdated and very conservative IPCC estimate)
- the grid will be one of the easier things to decarbonize and as such should be front-loaded in the timetable (bernies plan is "by 2030")
- the free market has thus far totally failed to address this transition in the time and scale necessary (do you disagree?)

therefore the only way to achieve the goal of minimizing the body count is for large scale public policy and govt works (do you disagree?)

- the only state or global actors capable of such scale are the U.N., the US, China, and possibly things like the EU, World Bank, WTO, etc.
- none of them are in a position to tell the U.S. what to do by 2020 (or for long thereafter)
- china is already doing its thing, we have no say in it anyway
- for a variety of reasons both pragmatic (wealth) and in the vague category of 'justice' the U.S. needs to lead decarbonization and "go first"

therefore the only way to achieve the necessary change in the necessary time frame is via the upcoming 2020 american presidential election

- the republican options will not achieve these goals (decarbonize by 2050, save 10 - 100m) or anything even remotely close to them

therefore to solve this problem we must "go through" the 2020 democratic presidential primary electorate

- support for nuclear is very low in this demographic, it has been for a very long time, we cannot educate and change these opinions in time for the upcoming election(s) (and everything downballot)
- even though other candidates pay lip service to nuclear its in the form of r&d or wishful thinking, not command-economy plans. their "support" of nuclear is nominal and inconsequential.

therefore nuclear is off the table in the short term (this election)

- warrens plan comes in around 2T and is totally inadequate to the scope of the challenge at hand
- joe biden's plan is even less
- at 16T bernie's plan is not just the largest by an order of magnitude, it is a fundamental transformation of the relationship between the state and the private energy sector
- such a transformed relationship is a necessary pre-requisite of any hope for a future large scale nuclear build out that overcomes the failures of the private nuke industry

therefore, if your goal is the lowest possible bodycount, you have to support the bernie plan (for now).

that does not mean it can't be criticized, that does not mean it cant be improved. all of my angry replies have been to people who have dismissed or rejected it outright with no plausible alternative.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 29, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

StabbinHobo posted:

which of these facts do you think are my opinion

- if we exceed 2C there will likely be a 10M - 100M bodycount from drought/famine/war (IPCC if you read through the obvious dry language)
- in order to not exceed 2C we need to decarbonize by 2050 (IPCC, very conservative, assumes very large scale NET)
- the grid will be one of the easier things to decarbonize and as such should be front-loaded in the timetable (bernies plan is "by 2030")
- in order to decarbonize we need to start by 2020 (outdated and very conservative IPCC estimate)
- the free market has thus far totally failed to address this transition in the time and scale necessary (do you disagree?)

therefore the only way to achieve the goal of minimizing the body count is for large scale public policy and govt works (do you disagree?)

- the only state or global actors capable of such scale are the U.N., the US, China, and possibly things like the EU, World Bank, WTO, etc.
- none of them are in a position to tell the U.S. what to do by 2020 (or for long thereafter)
- china is already doing its thing, we have no say in it anyway
- for a variety of reasons both pragmatic (wealth) and in the vague category of 'justice' the U.S. needs to lead decarbonization and "go first"

therefore the only way to achieve the necessary change in the necessary time frame is via the upcoming 2020 american presidential election

- the republican options will not achieve these goals (decarbonize by 2050, save 10 - 100m) or anything even remotely close to them

therefore to solve this problem we must "go through" the 2020 democratic presidential primary electorate

- support for nuclear is very low in this demographic, it has been for a very long time, we cannot educate and change these opinions in time for the upcoming election(s)
- even though other candidates pay lip service to nuclear its in the form of r&d or wishful thinking, not command-economy plans. their "support" of nuclear is nominal and inconsequential.

therefore nuclear is off the table in the short term (this election)

- warrens plan comes in around 2T and is totally inadequate to the scope of the challenge at hand
- joe biden's plan is even less
- at 16T bernie's plan is not just the largest by an order of magnitude, it is a fundamental transformation of the relationship between the state and the private energy sector
- such a transformed relationship is a necessary pre-requisite of any hope for a future large scale nuclear build out that overcomes the failures of the private nuke industry

therefore, if your goal is the lowest possible bodycount, you have to support the bernie plan (for now).

that does not mean it can't be criticized, that does not mean it cant be improved. all of my angry replies have been to people who have dismissed or rejected it outright with no plausible alternative.

Here's a plausible alternative.

Do what bernie is proposing, but add nuclear. It's not like people that support bernie are going to stay home because there are nuclear reactors in his climate plan.

Tell me why i'm wrong.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Do what bernie is proposing, but add nuclear. It's not like people that support bernie are going to stay home because there are nuclear reactors in his climate plan.

Tell me why i'm wrong.
Says you (and me for the record!). The polls and candidate in question say otherwise. Unless you have a plan for mind controlling bernie to change his mind, I don't see how you've articulated a plausible alternative. You've just said "I wish it weren't so". Me too buddy. On a lot of things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Tell me why i'm wrong.

This is a very acceptable alternative. Like I said, I suspect if he was approached by scientists with it as a proposal, he'd fully consider it.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think its absurd to think that bernie in particular, a candidate who's entire appeal is how he's been holding all his opinions as an outlier for two full generations in the wilderness just hasn't had the right chat with "scientists".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

StabbinHobo posted:

I think its absurd to think that bernie in particular, a candidate who's entire appeal is how he's been holding all his opinions as an outlier for two full generations in the wilderness just hasn't had the right chat with "scientists".

He has to appeal to his base, however.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

StabbinHobo posted:

Agreed, he's entirely ineffective as a climate advocate because he doesn't listen to evidence.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fishmech posted:

Agreed, he's entirely ineffective as a climate advocate because he doesn't listen to evidence.

Sooooo, the same as every other politician?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Using Body Count as a primary metric seems ironic considering one of these things has a historical significance and the other continues to be something that should have happened at least a dozen times during my own still short lifetime.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I do not think you guys are constructively engaging here and it is probably time to move on.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of construction:
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2019/09/04/longi-brings-forward-manufacturing-capacity-plans-by-a-year/

quote:

Longi revealed its plan to reach a mono wafer production capacity of 65 GW by the end of 2021 will now be achieved next year. Longi had previously stated it would be able to churn out ‘only’ 50 GW of wafers by that stage, after notching 36 GW this year.

if you dig back to just to 2017 and 2018 they were in the 4 - 8 GW range. thats straight up 10x growth in <4 years. and they're only the fifth largest manufacturer of solar-pv. that means we're already in the 100's of GW/year, and in probably 5ish years we'll be producing terrawatts of solar panels a year.

the question is rapidly going to flip from "can we build enough solar" to "what do we do with all this solar".

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

speaking of construction:
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2019/09/04/longi-brings-forward-manufacturing-capacity-plans-by-a-year/

if you dig back to just to 2017 and 2018 they were in the 4 - 8 GW range. thats straight up 10x growth in <4 years. and they're only the fifth largest manufacturer of solar-pv. that means we're already in the 100's of GW/year, and in probably 5ish years we'll be producing terrawatts of solar panels a year.

the question is rapidly going to flip from "can we build enough solar" to "what do we do with all this solar".

Let it go to waste as we don't have any way to store it .

Overcapacity only helps to a certain extent. The more overcapacity you have the less economic it is to install another panel.

Until we have grid storage that is worth a drat it doesn't help much.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Let it go to waste as we don't have any way to store it .

Overcapacity only helps to a certain extent. The more overcapacity you have the less economic it is to install another panel.

Until we have grid storage that is worth a drat it doesn't help much.

Or a grid that's worth a drat.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
argh that is so loving dumb i'm gonna get banned if i engage

why does d&d even exist if freshman year poo poo takes are the bar, why not just move this thread to gbs

edit: vvv lol as if to prove the point, yes, "lets start over", good plan

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 5, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Or a grid that's worth a drat.

Let's start over with one grid instead of three and maybe we can start talking about making it not awful

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

argh that is so loving dumb i'm gonna get banned if i engage

why does d&d even exist if freshman year poo poo takes are the bar, why not just move this thread to gbs

edit: vvv lol as if to prove the point, yes, "lets start over", good plan

Please, engage.

Do you find our current grid to be sufficient? It's not like I was making a serious prescription on how to fix the issue. It's hard to imagine fixing the current shitshow of a grid without something drastic.

Is grid unification even on anyone's radar?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Please, engage.

Do you find our current grid to be sufficient? It's not like I was making a serious prescription on how to fix the issue. It's hard to imagine fixing the current shitshow of a grid without something drastic.

Is grid unification even on anyone's radar?

Synchronizing the grids in the US will probably not happen anytime soon. They already have some asynchronous connections to transfer power as needed. There is always the possibility of some more AC-DC-AC ties get built, but the amount of lines needed for full synchronization is probably not going to get much of a return on investment.

Texas very specifically made their own interconnection to avoid having to follow some of the national rules and regulations. Since ERCOT is completely within the state’s borders, it avoids some of the interstate stuff. So this probably wouldn’t take too much money, just a change in policy in a state well known for wanting their own rules and regulations.

Synchronizing the Eastern and Western interconnections have to deal with the Rocky Mountains. The expense of building and maintaining lines through the mountains is immense. Add in the fact that most of the mountains are sparsely populated with low potential for load growth makes any large scale transmission projects drat near pointless in relation to their cost.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Western Interconnection already requires vast power connections across the Rockies - it stops for the most part a couple hundred miles to the east of the range. Hell it serves all of Manitoba's grid tied areas too.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Crops under solar panels can be a win-win

quote:

As for the crops, there were some significant differences. As the chiltepin peppers are shade-adapted, they were considerably happier with some solar panels overhead. Growth was calculated in terms of CO2 uptake, and this was 33% higher in the combined plot. The water-use efficiency of the plants didn’t change, so they also used more soil moisture as they grew. The mass of peppers they produced, however, tripled under the solar panels.

The jalapeños, on the other hand, took up 11% less CO2 under the panels, showing that they missed the extra sunlight. Even so, their water efficiency increased in a big way, and they used 65% less water. The amount of peppers produced dropped slightly, but not beyond the error bars.

Finally, the cherry tomatoes saw a 65% increase in CO2 uptake and a 65% increase in water-use efficiency. They produced twice as much fruit while using the same amount of water.

Based on the temperature-efficiency curves of these solar panels, the researchers calculated that the cooler temperatures should increase electricity generation by about 3% over the summer months, averaging out to a 1% gain for the whole year.

Neat, 'agrivoltaics'. Definitely changes the calculus of the land footprint of solar PV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Interesting.

I suspect that the vast increase in chile production is related to a quirk of the plant.

They’re from the tropics and they evolved to expect twelve‐hour days year‐round. They get confused in the summer at high latitudes and don’t put out blossoms (and therefore new fruit) while the days are long.