Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Odin seems like he is more Malkavian-style than anything else. He's probably not consciously aware of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

During a reread I noticed Odin actually knows about this on some level. But he's entirely forgotten about it by the time Durkon gets Flame Striked back to the afterlife and mentions it in front of him and Thor.

This probably isn't a shocking insight or anything. But apparently whatever god-sight Odin has does reach inside the rifts.

"Yarn winding yarn" is an interesting phrasing for him to use as well. I wonder if the Snarl made its world out of bits of itself, or bits of the OotS world?

Yeah, I've been wondering about the world inside the Snarl. My guess is that all the souls that the Snarl has 'eaten' are on that world.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

On the other hand, there's a world inside the gates.
... has anyone ever theorized we might be looking outside through the rifts?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

... has anyone ever theorized we might be looking outside through the rifts?

That would be inconsistent with the information we have from Thor, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. Not even the gods know everything about what's going on with the Snarl.

Of course, when dealing with cosmological planes of existence, the ideas of "inside" and "outside" may not mean anything at all. The material plane could be a prison, or a wall, or a bunker, and there be no meaningful difference between them.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Tenebrais posted:

Of course, when dealing with cosmological planes of existence, the ideas of "inside" and "outside" may not mean anything at all. The material plane could be a prison, or a wall, or a bunker, and there be no meaningful difference between them.

So what you're saying is, the Snarl is Wonko the Sane and is just frustrated about the gods all being squabbling jerks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

https://youtu.be/n7h6wDYzTj4

Imagine the baboon shouting the exarch's speech at the door

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It occurs to me that the Dwarven Council only being a single vote away from ending the world could be a nasty post-twist to the end of the primary conflict. Loki's made it clear that the only reason he's backing Thor now is because of the game changing nature of the Dark One. If that plan goes south, or even appears to be going south, I could easily see him pulling some last minute trickery to make Hel's plan a thing again. We've already seen a pretty decent theological argument made for why condemning the Dwarven race to Hel might actually be the right decision. If the Snarl breaks loose it's entirely possible that nobody's souls will be going anywhere, which would be an even worse possible outcome for everybody, not just the dwarves.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing to keep in mind is it's place in the narrative and how much "stuff" can be reasonably written within the approximate number of strips Rich has planned.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I could see Loki rigging it so the Council rests in perpetuity on the option of ending the world, forever hung on a technicality. Leaving Durkon trapped as a stone statue.

They free Durkon by Belkar either offering to swap places, or breaking some law in a manner that gets Durkon free, but imprisons himself.

Belkar remains petrified there, forever, in a meeting that never ends and is one vote away from ending the world. His last breath drawn.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sky Shadowing posted:

I could see Loki rigging it so the Council rests in perpetuity on the option of ending the world, forever hung on a technicality. Leaving Durkon trapped as a stone statue.

They free Durkon by Belkar either offering to swap places, or breaking some law in a manner that gets Durkon free, but imprisons himself.

Belkar remains petrified there, forever, in a meeting that never ends and is one vote away from ending the world. His last breath drawn.

that's clever

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is there a definitive answer for how much longer Belkar has? He might still have a week or two left.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

Belkar sacrificing himself for Durkon would complete his character arc...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who What Now posted:

Is there a definitive answer for how much longer Belkar has? He might still have a week or two left.

Nope.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nope there's no definitive amount of time left, or nope he doesnt have a week left?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
We only know that its less than six weeks according to Roy a little over a week ago in comic time

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who What Now posted:

Nope there's no definitive amount of time left, or nope he doesnt have a week left?

the former, sorry.

I can't see any upside for rich being specific, so I'm not surprised.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I mean, if the world is destroyed, then Belkar would have taken his last breath.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:ducksiren: #1178: Rock Opera

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I swear to Banjo if we don't eventually get a "Freebird" joke where Elan uses the Song of Freedom on Blackwing, I'm gonna be so disappointed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYAc7gB-0A

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This is a really flat chapter break.

The climax was really good and the denouement was pretty fun, but every other chapter in the story closed on a pretty strong note.

Compare this to Miko coming to get them, or durkon praying to hel, or sapphire city falling under the cloister spell

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

ikanreed posted:

This is a really flat chapter break.

The climax was really good and the denouement was pretty fun, but every other chapter in the story closed on a pretty strong note.

Compare this to Miko coming to get them, or durkon praying to hel, or sapphire city falling under the cloister spell

this is the denouement though. we’ve still got some last plot bits to wrap up (durkon telling the party about purple quiddity being the big one) and I’ll be damned if we don’t end on a snarl/gate cliffhanger

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Soup du Jour posted:

this is the denouement though. we’ve still got some last plot bits to wrap up (durkon telling the party about purple quiddity being the big one) and I’ll be damned if we don’t end on a snarl/gate cliffhanger

This, it's the first page of the book's last chapter.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
We definitely need another Xykon check-in before we're done.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This, it's the first page of the book's last chapter.

Oh. There's more than one chapter per book

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What are the odds the world ends before the book does?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Schwarzwald posted:

What are the odds the world ends before the book does?

Climate change isn't quite that fast

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I love that we've never seen bards be this useful by being bards and it's not only in Durkon's homeland but it's his family's fault. Have we even seen this many bards before?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

By Odin's missing eye, that song's twenty nine years old! When did I get old? :argh:

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Huh. Figured it was a country song reference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tinyn posted:

Huh. Figured it was a country song reference.

I dunno that was just the first thing that came to mind.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

One thing to keep in mind is it's place in the narrative and how much "stuff" can be reasonably written within the approximate number of strips Rich has planned.

"Okay guys, that's it for Order of the Stick. Thanks for reading, and please come back next year for the start of my new, follow-up comic: Order of the Twig. Join Kudzu Firehelm, Ramona Greenhilt, Santa Helena, Lena & Nela Starshine, and a random kobold as they strive to put right what once went wrong..."

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno that was just the first thing that came to mind.

Whereas I thought in a different way

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They're wearing headbands and are in front of a crowd waving protest signs. The art supposed to invoke 1960s folk singers.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Elan's use of the ability previously was supposed to invoke country music, but this is clearly something else.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
They look like Woodstock-era rockers.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I read it as they were protest singers, with the signs behind them all the protesters.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's really weird to think that, since he's level 16 or so, Elan is certifiably a bardic genius at this point. To all these dwarfs, he's close to the pinnacle of their craft, and more skilled than any other bard they've ever seen. Since the OOTS world is generally pretty low-level as far as NPCs go, he's probably one of the most powerful bards in history.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Phenotype posted:

It's really weird to think that, since he's level 16 or so, Elan is certifiably a bardic genius at this point. To all these dwarfs, he's close to the pinnacle of their craft, and more skilled than any other bard they've ever seen. Since the OOTS world is generally pretty low-level as far as NPCs go, he's probably one of the most powerful bards in history.

A chilling thought, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Song of Freedom is a 12th level ability. The two dwarf bards whose names I forgot are pretty darn powerful in their own right.