Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It looked like wrecked junkyard car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Humphreys posted:

Hahah, actually buying pallets! Not getting into the Loscam/Chep stuff, I have unlimited access to pallets and so do most of my friends from legit free sources. We burn most of them!

No you see, this is a listing for sailboat fuel :dadjoke:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Heffer posted:

That link says if they're marked MB then they are methyl bromide treated, which is no bueno

Which hasn't been used since 2005. I've never seen an MB-marked pallet. It's still worth checking the stamps.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

Hahah, actually buying pallets! Not getting into the Loscam/Chep stuff, I have unlimited access to pallets and so do most of my friends from legit free sources. We burn most of them!

No kidding. I have to give away good pallets just to get a junk man to haul off the broken one. He comes by every day with a 16ft trailer.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Cojawfee posted:

It looked like wrecked junkyard car.

yeah who the gently caress would risk jail time over a tweety bird yellow pontiac montezuma's revenge or whatever that bullshit was.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure that's a Ford Escape which is par for the course

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boy impaled by trampoline spring in a freak accident.

Article has a (not gruesome but uncomfortable) picture.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Boy impaled by trampoline spring in a freak accident.

Article has a (not gruesome but uncomfortable) picture.

quote:

Jamie Quinlan, 12, was jumping on a friend’s trampoline on Sunday when the incident occurred. The coil ripped through the boy’s T-shirt and lodged itself roughly two inches deep into his back, just centimeters away from his spine.

Inches and centimeters in the same sentence. What a world.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxupN_AdFDg

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

More safety genius from the FB group for roofers that I stalk.

They're all loving psychos who post a lot about drinking on the job, but even those guys are calling this dude a moron.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Took me a moment to realize that that is the 4 year old kid.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Took me a moment to realize that that is the 4 year old kid.

Yeah, I may have gone too overboard with the anonymizing, but that's his 4-year-old he's got on a roof that he's working on.

His main defenses in the comments are:

1) gently caress you pussies
2) It's a private job not through my business so OSHA can't touch me therefore it's all OK

stevewm
May 10, 2005
All throughout my childhood and into my teenage years my father and his brothers worked for the family excavating business. Thus as a child I used to ride/play on or in backhoes, bulldozers, dump trucks... All manners of construction equipment. There where no seat belts, booster seats, etc.. Many times I rode on the bulldozer while my grandfather was operating it. Sitting on the side right above the tracks.

If that happened today, my parents would probably be arrested.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Glad we're in the universe where you didn't end up getting maimed or killed, I suppose.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I let my 4 year old help me change the oil on my van and then the union sent someone around to break her little scab legs

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

tactlessbastard posted:

I let my 4 year old help me change the oil on my van and then the union sent someone around to break her little scab legs

:shrug:

She should have checked the box and claimed her card.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Based on my experience with my kids, I wouldn’t hire child laborers because they’re lovely employees. No attention to detail, easily distracted, low standard of work.

And that’s not even getting into their wanting too many bathroom breaks, general lack of strength, etc.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mozi posted:

Glad we're in the universe where you didn't end up getting maimed or killed, I suppose.

Growing up around the stuff, I also learned to respect it and not be stupid. I do remember my Dad telling me to never approach any running equipment unless the operator acknowledges you. Common sense yes, but not to a child.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The flip side of this is that kids have no exposure to work at all until they're a fresh college grad working in an office wondering why something feels wrong.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

Kids gotta learn not to scab

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

stevewm posted:

All throughout my childhood and into my teenage years my father and his brothers worked for the family excavating business. Thus as a child I used to ride/play on or in backhoes, bulldozers, dump trucks... All manners of construction equipment. There where no seat belts, booster seats, etc.. Many times I rode on the bulldozer while my grandfather was operating it. Sitting on the side right above the tracks.

If that happened today, my parents would probably be arrested.

loving kids these days amirite

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Kanine posted:

Get off my lawn!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kanine posted:

No that isn't right. That is one of the many things that is the opposite of right. Stop doing that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some good OSHA content.

https://i.imgur.com/G6CwlsH.mp4

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's nuts

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

shovelbum posted:

The flip side of this is that kids have no exposure to work at all until they're a fresh college grad working in an office wondering why something feels wrong.

well that's what happens when you let your society get so hosed over by the rich that you end up with a totally intractable Morlock/Holoi situation. if u bussed kids into the Rich Towns there'd be more social mobility.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

youre missing your hardhat and steel toed boots. get with the loving picture jerry

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kanine posted:

youre missing your hardhat and steel toed boots. get with the loving picture jerry

Dammit, Jerry, what did we tell you about burying your helmet? Every time, you stand here telling us, "NO GUYS I CAN SMELL IT," and you never can. It's getting embarrassing, Jerry. We're embarrassed for you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

More safety genius from the FB group for roofers that I stalk.

They're all loving psychos who post a lot about drinking on the job, but even those guys are calling this dude a moron.

Gotta learn at some point! I used to deliver caskets with my dad when I was like...10 years old.

I just wanted to play video games :smith:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Gotta learn at some point! I used to deliver caskets with my dad when I was like...10 years old.

You need both thumbs to play video games, son.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I was hoping he'd at least have him on a harness safety system but lol @ my naive hope

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kanine posted:

Maybe he's not at the jobsite, maybe he's at one of those yellow vest protests.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Would’ve been kind of ironic to deliver a small casket to roofing dad

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fallom posted:

Would’ve been kind of ironic to deliver a small casket to roofing dad

is there an extra fee if you catch the body as it falls

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
The pallet talk up-thread reminded me of my own OSHA experience at my first ever real job.

Way back in the 80s I was a lowly shitkicker at a local supermarket. My supervisor was a giant loving douche named Wayne. Wayne was the textbook company brown-noser. He would "Yes sir!" every unreasonably deadlined request from management, and work the rest of us like a slave-driver to get it done. Every corner would be cut, and usually safety procedures were the first to go in the name of "efficiency". No one ever got out on time when Wayne was around.

I finally got the shits with the place and left for a better job. Luckily I wasn't around for only one week later Wayne was rushing around doing his usual turbo hasty bullshit and went to lean a pallet on the store room wall. He turned around without checking that he'd properly settled the pallet and it fell over, catching him on the back of one leg as he walked away. An couple of ex-coworkers had to undergo counselling because they were the first to the scene and found him screaming on the floor in a pool of blood with the calf muscle stripped off of the back of his leg almost down to the ankle. Yeowch.

I felt bad for the dude, but I couldn't stop part of me thinking he reaped what he sowed. :colbert:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aaaaaaaaaaaaa

AAAAAAÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now every time i am aware of my calf muscle i am imagining it getting ripped off fuuucckkdkdj

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Too bad it wasn’t a touch higher up, then he could’ve been half-assed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Too bad it wasn’t a touch higher up, then he could’ve been half-assed :v:

But then he would have gotten a little behind in his work.