Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

gently caress off Jess Phillips, go be a loving Libdem already.

And lose people talking about her? Never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Why wouldn't you turn those potatoes into mash? Mince 'n spuds are fine, but no buttery mash?

Those are clearly waxy potatoes not floury ones you heathen ye don't mash those! You clearly have never been privy to a discussion on the progeny of the potato at the dinner table

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jess phillips does suck, primarily because she affects a working class air and she's actually less working class than me and i'm very middle class. also everything she says is about herself.

buuuuut it seems silly to complain about people bitching about corbyn when he did the same to blair. i dont really begrudge the melts because i'd be doing the same if things were swapped, just on the side of good and justice.

i do worry they're gonna gently caress us by splitting though... actually thinking about it Jess Phillips might be an asset there. people who would swap to libdems might stay if melts like her can stay and get behind the party in a GE

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i do worry they're gonna gently caress us by splitting though... actually thinking about it Jess Phillips might be an asset there. people who would swap to libdems might stay if melts like her can stay and get behind the party in a GE

I mean they already tried this and uh it really didn't go very well

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Pochoclo posted:

I wager we can design The Ultimate Carb Challenge which has all those things plus polenta, pozole, quinoa, fainá (debatable), and what else

Humita? Casabe (manioc bread), yam, sweet potato...

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pochoclo posted:

I wager we can design The Ultimate Carb Challenge which has all those things plus polenta, pozole, quinoa, fainá (debatable), and what else

Diabetes

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Jose posted:

gently caress off

dont purge me jose

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Cous cous

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

kustomkarkommando posted:

Those are clearly waxy potatoes not floury ones you heathen ye don't mash those! You clearly have never been privy to a discussion on the progeny of the potato at the dinner table

I knew that different types of potato was a thing before I moved here, but actually seeing such a thing as potato variety in the flesh was a massive culture shock to me.

Back in Argentina you could either get washed and brushed potato, or slightly cheaper same type of potato except all crusted in dirt, also different grades of quality but it was all the same goddamn type of potato

I mean yes technically there was "white potato" and "black potato" and they were slightly different cultivars but they were basically identical in texture and taste

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 5, 2019

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

jess phillips does suck, primarily because she affects a working class air and she's actually less working class than me and i'm very middle class. also everything she says is about herself.

So she is the labour mogg?

I worry that if labour got a result in a GE all the melts would gently caress off to the Lib Dems and not call a GE.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mince and tatties is amazing, reminds me of dinner at my grandma’s. If made properly it’s super tasty.

SpaceDrake posted:

jesus who on his staff let him get in front of a camera looking like that. fix your drat hair, boris

I have it on good authority from two separate friends in politics that he tousles it up right before he goes on camera. No doubt it’s part of his image or something.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

grr yes i too hate the fl*pping melts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

I knew that different types of potato was a thing before I moved here, but actually seeing such a thing as potato variety in the flesh was a massive culture shock to me.

Back in Argentina you could either get washed and brushed potato, or slightly cheaper same type of potato except all crusted in dirt, also different grades of quality but it was all the same goddamn type of potato
South Americans don't get nice potatoes because they were dicks to Sir Walter Raleigh when he invented the potato in 1703.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

No one would give a toss about Jess Phillips if she wasn't trying to sabotage the left wing of the party at every turn

The self promotion, the self obsession, the twee stories of claiming she was working class when she would need a serious accident to stop being middle class as gently caress, it'd all be mockworthy but only that

It's the eagerness to brief against and leak against and be a general shitlord to the front bench and against her own party members, she's definitely the face of the PLP

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

Even in America they come in red and white, but multiple named types is kind of an us thing yeah. I like Rooster

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

South Americans don't get nice potatoes because they were dicks to Sir Walter Raleigh when he invented the potato in 1703.

I know, tell me about it, the goddamn ancestral homeland of the potato and you don't get all the fancy various types in the supermarket, mainly because people never gave much of a poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pochoclo posted:

I mean yes technically there was "white potato" and "black potato" and they were slightly different cultivars but they were basically identical in texture and taste

And yet there are several thousand species of potato - most of them in the Andes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Purging MPs isn't inherently good or bad. They're not the homeless guy outside Sainsbury's, they're the 650 most powerful people in the country, and they have no particular entitlement to the benefits of belonging to the various clubs within that body. All that matters is if kicking someone out will be helpful or unhelpful to your agenda. Boris getting out the chainsaw wasn't bad because it was evil (except in the sense that he was doing it in pursuit of an evil goal), it was bad because it was loving stupid. He simply did not have enough supporters in his corner to be able to afford losing and antagonising so many.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Failed Imagineer posted:

And yet there are several thousand species of potato - most of them in the Andes

The Andy's do love their chips.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Hentai Jihadist posted:

buuuuut it seems silly to complain about people bitching about corbyn when he did the same to blair. i dont really begrudge the melts because i'd be doing the same if things were swapped, just on the side of good and justice.

Something of a difference in levels and quality of media access, though? afaik Corbyn wasn't exactly a frequently-visible voice of the party to the same extent, apart from maybe as part of the Iraq war protests. It'd be fine if melts kept melting it up in Progress Magazine or whatever, but that side of the party has been much more mainstream-visible since 2015 than Corbyn ever was back in the day, I think. Could be wrong though, I wasn't paying much attention back then

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jess Phillips doesn't know what year it is. Attacking the Labour front bench while the Tories are imploding is very 2016.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

i wonder what it is about female mp jess phillips that makes people so cross

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
SUCH

C U R R I D G E

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gasmask posted:

lmao yes yes hook this to my veins.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gasmask posted:

It's the fact that she's poo poo, op

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gasmask posted:

you could try a little harder

don't worry people will take the bait anyway

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Gasmask posted:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

I just saw the Northern Bank's £5 note has (had?) the Space Shuttle on it.

Why can't I get a Space Shuttle on my US Dollars? :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hentai Jihadist posted:

No. There's huge differences between Corbyn & Philips. Yes, he voted against the whip many times, but Jeremy Corbyn was never barging his way into every media studio she could find to talk about how Tony Blair is a disaster & I hate him. The difference is significant.

Gasmask posted:

This is the good poo poo though. This is golden.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Pess Jillips

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

you could try a little harder

don't worry people will take the bait anyway

It's a rich UKMT tradition to be the easiest trolled thread on this entire forum.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

My sister was married to an American and get mother in law was so disgusted by the Darwin £10 note, it was very creepy.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Phillips, Harman and Kendall will usher in such courageous ideas as pro feminist capitalism.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

UKMT has a mace which represents Pissflaps, without it no post is official.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Gasmask posted:

Well it has to be something she doesn't have in common with Diane Abbott and Emily Thornberry since people ITT seem quite fond of them.

I think it's wrecking, OP.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vlex posted:

This was five different carbs though. Manioc, bread, rice, potato, pasta, and if you really want to make it six, fried plantain. Anyone can pile up the potatoes, but finding that type of variety to go with a scrap of chicken takes commitment.

Manioc is v good as long as you're not poor enough to eat the harvest leavings and die of cyanide.

I may not be marketing it perfectly.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

No. There's huge differences between Corbyn & Philips... Jeremy Corbyn was never barging his way into every media studio she could find to talk about how Tony Blair is a disaster & I hate him. The difference is significant.

What is the difference here? That she's somehow better at getting her point across? That he just got on with being a backbencher for his constituents or that it doesn't really matter about the mp themselves so much, rather how they're deployed by a media with pre existing incentives to get a certain message out there? Or other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My sister was married to an American and get mother in law was so disgusted by the Darwin £10 note, it was very creepy.
He was a bit racist. :v:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is the difference here? That she's somehow better at getting her point across? That he just got on with being a backbencher for his constituents or that it doesn't really matter about the mp themselves so much, rather how they're deployed by a media with pre existing incentives to get a certain message out there? Or other.
The difference is that the media is responsive to one kind of wrecking over the other.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gasmask posted:

It's because she's black OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Manioc is v good as long as you're not poor enough to eat the harvest leavings and die of cyanide.

I may not be marketing it perfectly.

Bitter manioc domestication is actually fascinating. It was selected to be more toxic than its wild ancestral stock because the pesticidal benefits and gains in nutrition outweigh the effort that goes into making it safe. The 'sweet', non-toxic varietals are likely a much later consequence of selection from an already-domesticated stock.

Thanks for coming to my TEDx talk on starchy tubers.