Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

eat some vegetables jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, let’s just ask The Valley Stared.

Statistically speaking, you had overweight sailors on the Fitz, and they had to have been part of saving the ship- what role would you say physical fitness played in the saving of the ship? Were there issues? Were any overweight sailors a limfac or straight up impediment to saving the ship? If you have the time or inclination could you speak to how you feel physical fitness is or isn’t important for DDG sailors?

I’d be very interested to hear your take, if you feel like joining the discussion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My friend is 6'7" and a very large fellow. He was an HT when he was in. His bigass could still get through a scuttle on the frank cable with a full firefighting ensemble to include SCBA. Being overweight will affect your ability to, for example, stay in an engine space as a hoseman for a main space fire. However, DDGs and other modern ships do not really have the risk of main space fires that older ones do, and it's not even a general quarters type thing.

There is a limit to how big someone can be and be useful still, but it's pretty high. Although I never went through a casualty like TVS, I've spent years on DDGs and the chunky sailors did just as much as the fit ones in all damage control training situations. They might be at a slightly higher risk of becoming a heat casualty, but you have to be absolutely massive to become useless.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Statistically speaking, you had overweight sailors on the Fitz, and they had to have been part of saving the ship- what role would you say physical fitness played in the saving of the ship? Were there issues? Were any overweight sailors a limfac or straight up impediment to saving the ship? If you have the time or inclination could you speak to how you feel physical fitness is or isn’t important for DDG sailors?

I’d be very interested to hear your take, if you feel like joining the discussion.

We had plenty of people who were too out of shape to have been of any use moving an injured sailor out of a smoke filled compartment, especially if it would have been necessary to Don EABs as part of the process. The Navy fitness scheme sucks both at recognizing the physical needs for casualty response and at making time available to cultivate those requirements.

There were so many fat as poo poo submarine chiefs at A and Power school in the nuke pipeline it was kind of jarring.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I was told to stop exercising before watch and while in Port on duty days because of the perception it gave coners of fully qualified nuke watchstanders.

gently caress the Navy and especially senior enlisted.

Yeah I was told I wasn't allowed to be working out during duty days. We were on three section duty plus a 6 day 14 hour workweek. FTN

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Naval Construction Force has a LOT of obese personnel. They are useless on a job site, they bring down the morale of younger personnel (a fair number of Seabees are special program drops) and it feeds the culture of "why bother?" that is rapidly eroding the force. The Navy is culturally hosed, it starts with the senior enlisted but God knows what it will take for a fleet wide change there.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

The Naval Construction Force has a LOT of obese personnel. They are useless on a job site, they bring down the morale of younger personnel (a fair number of Seabees are special program drops) and it feeds the culture of "why bother?" that is rapidly eroding the force. The Navy is culturally hosed, it starts with the senior enlisted but God knows what it will take for a fleet wide change there.

How can they be useless when they just watch contractors build stuff?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You're going to find this hard to believe but outside of the shore commands they're assigned to, the Seabee Battalions do a lot of construction. Not well, but it happens.

We are currently asking for contracting for a couple things we don't have the knowledge or equipment to do (i.e. watch them then do that) and are being told no make it work. It's all screwy and wonderous nobody has gotten hurt.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 5, 2019

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Honestly, I don't think any of the overweight sailors were an impediment to the DC efforts. Overheating wasn't as much of an issue for us (the flood water was around 70 degree from what I've heard) and adrenaline kicking in made factors like muscle fatigue and exhaustion less of an issue early on. Even when we had the bucket brigade going, we had all hands working that, so if people did get too tired, they just switched out. My DC shop and my flying squad were in pretty darn good shape though, so moving the dewatering equipment wasn't that much of an issue at least. Our DC1 was a 6'7'' giant who could lift a P-100 by himself no issues.

Sailors subsisting off of loving Monster and Rock Star tend to be bigger reasons for why people overheat anyway.

That said, I do think physical fitness is really important, even on small boys. Working out helps alleviate stress, it helps you focus, and yeah, it really does help you to have some drat stamina if you've got to run for some reason.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I was slightly overweight by Navy standards, mostly due to how they measure BMI. Those huge fat folks with necks the size of tree trunks had less BMI than I did by their measurements.(Not sure if this is still how they 'measure' BMI) Always passed the PFAs though. Anyway, I got adsepped for it. It was an honorable discharge, and they had to cut me a check as well. The funny thing is that I was adsepped in April of 2012 and my EAOS was May of 2012. I had an LCPO at the time that I did not get along with, and I imagine that is why I was separated vice just being allowed to leave the service at my EAOS. But jokes on them; I kept all my benefits, got a check, and started a job making 100k+ even quicker. Only bad part of this is that if you have more than 60 days of leave you can only sell back 60, so I lost about 15. Oh well, good trade in my opinion.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
We won two world wars with fat sailors, if you can fit through a hatch with an SCBA on you're good, I have a useless piece of poo poo ACFL who cant carry 4 laptops at once from radio. but the 90 lb POS can do pushups all day.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Kawasaki Nun posted:

gently caress the Navy and especially senior enlisted.

So much this right now. I thought poo poo would get better as an E6....... nope

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I was slightly overweight by Navy standards, mostly due to how they measure BMI. Those huge fat folks with necks the size of tree trunks had less BMI than I did by their measurements.(Not sure if this is still how they 'measure' BMI) Always passed the PFAs though. Anyway, I got adsepped for it. It was an honorable discharge, and they had to cut me a check as well. The funny thing is that I was adsepped in April of 2012 and my EAOS was May of 2012. I had an LCPO at the time that I did not get along with, and I imagine that is why I was separated vice just being allowed to leave the service at my EAOS. But jokes on them; I kept all my benefits, got a check, and started a job making 100k+ even quicker. Only bad part of this is that if you have more than 60 days of leave you can only sell back 60, so I lost about 15. Oh well, good trade in my opinion.

This is what drives my concern during the Navy's Q-1R Get Concerned About Fitness. You were probably also a way for the command to say they were taking action with the minimal impact to her ability to function.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Man if you can get fat on an aircraft carrier deployment, attaboy to you. I spent most of my out-to-sea time maximizing the number of actual good calories I can put in my body and minimizing my time spent in line. A lot of specific timing and a lot of hard boiled eggs. gently caress standing in line for 3 hours a day.

e: I exaggerated, its probably 30-45 minutes per so 1.5-2.25.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Oh yeah I completely forgot about EAB air. (EAB - Emergency Air, Breathing)

So on submarines, there are these air manifolds every dozen feet or so. Part of your initial training is to be able to find them all. In our case this involved moving between them blindfolded while in an EAB, so you could potentially suffocate yourself if you didn't move to the next one and plug in in time.

While I don't think its ever happened at the start of a casualty you have the EAB air in the tanks. Thats one source for the entire crew, and fat out of shape fucks suck down air in EABs and SCBAs like its going out of style. You have only a handful of dudes in SCBA's fighting the fire and everyone else is trying to just handle the rest in EABs and when EAB air runs out its OUT until you play your final fail safe and cross connect it with one of the other emergency air systems (which haven't had the same filtration as EAB air had). And hope you've gotten to the surface safely and established external ventilation by that point.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

The Valley Stared posted:

That said, I do think physical fitness is really important, even on small boys. Working out helps alleviate stress, it helps you focus, and yeah, it really does help you to have some drat stamina if you've got to run for some reason.

This right here. Also, I'm tired of being the only one that can hump a hose from a DC locker on the main deck up to the bridge in full turnouts. And getting stuck plugging tubes in the steam drum cause everyone else is too fat to loving fit. Getting the Hudson ready for activation I was doing over 10 miles and 70 storys in the course of an 18 hour day as 1st running around the ship.

Going over the fire on the Horn in 2004, it took them an extended period pulling the 1sts body out of the engine room. Moving a 200lb weight up ladders and through hatches is an absolute nightmare so any edge you can get is huge. If you go down in the engine room, getting you to a safe place can take a long time, especially if there's no air or a fire is in progress. The fire teams on the Horn had to change tanks several times to recover the bodies.

I dont know what you and FV are talking about shovelbum, I can work a 12 in the Red Sea and head to the gym right after. Once you get in the habit it's not bad.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 6, 2019

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
So do we want a wellness test (what we have) or a functional/combat fitness test (which covers a lot of needs for the Navy)?

Or leave the latter up to the judgement of leadership in individual communities/rates?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

This right here. Also, I'm tired of being the only one that can hump a hose from a DC locker on the main deck up to the bridge in full turnouts. And getting stuck plugging tubes in the steam drum cause everyone else is too fat to loving fit. Getting the Hudson ready for activation I was doing over 10 miles and 70 storys in the course of an 18 hour day as 1st running around the ship.

I think a lot of time it's the deck guys who can't hump, even fat engineers gotta haul themselves up and down the ladders all day everyday vs. walking back and forth slowly with a needlegun. A big problem on the civilian side of things is that a lot of dudes are like 70 and just not in their prime anymore but that's obviously a protected class.

I'm a pretty fat engineer and I just make it work somehow I guess, idk. I need to drop some of the weight I've put on as a scumbag second if I want to sail first more and not hate my life. You do a good job of it and so do a few other guys but I feel like I can count em all on one hand who aren't just 25 and full of innate vigor.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Geizkragen posted:

So do we want a wellness test (what we have) or a functional/combat fitness test (which covers a lot of needs for the Navy)?

Or leave the latter up to the judgement of leadership in individual communities/rates?

Functional fitness tests could be very beneficial if tailored to unit needs. The examples given of hoisting firefighting equipment and personnel into and out of spaces are hard to directly correlate to our current PRT.

One thing that absolutely needs to change is service-wide pressures and lack of accountability on high-level authorities. Too many lists of “all ships must” and “all units shall” without enough time, personnel, and training leads to cutting corners even if unintentionally. Telling COs it’s on them to enforce command PT or ensure folks PT on their own, but oh by the way you have workups, INSURV, then deployment all in compressed cycles, isn’t a recipe for fitness. Basically too much to do, too little time means you have to literally figure out what cannot be done; what has the least impact to the mission if it’s not done.

And yes, there are plenty of ways folks need to make better lifestyle choices, but we largely don’t have a culture that supports people both taking care of the mission and themselves. One thing I always liked from Quantico was the saying “mission first, Marines always” in that you only accomplish the mission when you take care of your people, including their physical health.

Kalessin ofSelidor fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 7, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Run the rescue drills with the heaviest guy or a 250 lb dummy instead of the smallest person present or a boilersuit full of rags, that will sort out a whole lot of stuff real fast.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

shovelbum posted:

Run the rescue drills with the heaviest guy or a 250 lb dummy instead of the smallest person present or a boilersuit full of rags, that will sort out a whole lot of stuff real fast.

Unfortunately time restraints make this logical argument void in the interest of completing a drill just to fulfill a checklist instead of seeking actual value. Tbf things like “we’re going to ignore blatant arms smugglers in the gulf and pretend like they are fishermen in order to run our drill for a checklist” have contributed to my lack of confidence in the Navy.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone done the jko online tgps sans the classroom? Tips/tricks/how did you do it and get tgps signed off appreciated!

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
You can complete the individual component class if you get 100% on the pre-test. You can also add and drop the class as many times as you want. So just keep printing out the completed pre-test until you figure out the correct answers and drop/add the classes as needed. I finished all of them in an afternoon.

E: worked in 2016.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I just finished them last Monday. It just eats up time, I had to run through all the blocks for all of them. Some videos stop if you're out of the window so just open up multiple browsers, multi-task and eat up work hours.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

maffew buildings posted:

I just finished them last Monday. It just eats up time, I had to run through all the blocks for all of them. Some videos stop if you're out of the window so just open up multiple browsers, multi-task and eat up work hours.

Did you have to complete any of the stuff? Or just get the cert for watching?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Every now and then you have a knowledge check, and true to how much the DOD gives a gently caress about us going out the door, you can get everything wrong every time and still get to the conclusion and collect your cert

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

You're retiring right? If so you can just go to T-GPS days 1 and 5 (skip the DOL workshop in the middle) and meet the VOW compliancy requirements that way. Unless you can't get to a class for some reason? JKO sucks. And if you go to the class you can at least take home the nice 2019 VA booklet.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

DustyNuts posted:

You're retiring right? If so you can just go to T-GPS days 1 and 5 (skip the DOL workshop in the middle) and meet the VOW compliancy requirements that way. Unless you can't get to a class for some reason? JKO sucks. And if you go to the class you can at least take home the nice 2019 VA booklet.

Yep, retiring. All I want is the box ticked. My VA ratings are already done and my wife an I have a successful small business. The class starts this week but the issue is the drat storm pushed some very important medical appointments from last week into the class days. The appointments are across town and some will take a few hours. I don't mind buzzing through some cbts. The main question is do I need to do the ITP, the crosswalk thing, the 12 mo budget, the job hunting papers BS to get this signed off?

Bonus: I was at Publix and the old timer cooking the dish of the day samples (mahi mahi sliders) was a retired chief MM. He said in all sincerity that he wished he would've started at Publix at 18 instead of the Navy. It would've been much more enjoyable and he'd be making a lot more money.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yes, you'll still need to complete the minimum CRS. Skip the DoL Workshop portion of the JKO course. Print/save your certificates for the rest of the course to prove completion.

https://www.dodtap.mil/career_readiness_standards.html

Here's a modified list for you.

Complete Pre-Separation Counseling.
Complete the Veteran Affairs (VA) Benefits Briefings I and II.
Complete the Department of Labor (DOL) Employment Workshop.
Register on eBenefits.
Prepare a criterion-based Financial Plan for military to civilian transition.
Complete a criterion-based Individual Transition Plan (ITP).
Complete Continuum of Military Service Opportunity Counseling (Active Component to Reserve Component only).
Evaluate transferability of military skills to the civilian workforce/ Complete DoD Standardized Gap Analysis.
Document requirements and eligibility for licensure, certification, and apprenticeship.
Complete an assessment tool to identify personal interests and leanings regarding career selection.
Complete a job application package or show received a job offer letter.

I could do your Capstone with you, but that can get touchy depending on your command/Career Counselor, etc.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
PM sent!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DustyNuts posted:

I could do your Capstone with you, but that can get touchy depending on your command/Career Counselor, etc.

"Hey I wanna do my Capstone with some random dude from the internet because, honestly, I trust him (or her maybe?) more than you idiots....

...sir."

I'd let it fly. At that point, the member is at least engaged in the process and not just ticking boxes solely for that sake. Most CCCs/commands are power-mad assholes tho, and want THEIR metrics.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

DustyNuts posted:

Yes, you'll still need to complete the minimum CRS. Skip the DoL Workshop portion of the JKO course. Print/save your certificates for the rest of the course to prove completion.

https://www.dodtap.mil/career_readiness_standards.html

Here's a modified list for you.

Complete Pre-Separation Counseling.
Complete the Veteran Affairs (VA) Benefits Briefings I and II.
Complete the Department of Labor (DOL) Employment Workshop.
Register on eBenefits.
Prepare a criterion-based Financial Plan for military to civilian transition.
Complete a criterion-based Individual Transition Plan (ITP).
Complete Continuum of Military Service Opportunity Counseling (Active Component to Reserve Component only).
Evaluate transferability of military skills to the civilian workforce/ Complete DoD Standardized Gap Analysis.
Document requirements and eligibility for licensure, certification, and apprenticeship.
Complete an assessment tool to identify personal interests and leanings regarding career selection.
Complete a job application package or show received a job offer letter.

Man that was a waste of a week. And I flat out refused to do that financial plan. The only worthwhile been in that whole week was the VA benefits brief.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Only JKO mod for that I paid attention to

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Hey Dusty?

Can we say congratulations to you yet? Can we post :chiefsay:?

Also, question for you all: I'm going to have my cert teach next week, and one of the instructors suggested I kick off my lesson with a Fitz collision sea story. The topic is rapid plotting, and obviously that played a role since we didn't gently caress it up too badly. You all think that would be a solid choice?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Chief DustyNuts!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Valley Stared posted:

Also, question for you all: I'm going to have my cert teach next week, and one of the instructors suggested I kick off my lesson with a Fitz collision sea story. The topic is rapid plotting, and obviously that played a role since we didn't gently caress it up too badly. You all think that would be a solid choice?

It'll probably get their attention, if nothing else.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

King of Bees posted:

Chief DustyNuts!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DustyNuts posted:

Hi I'm at work on a Saturday making a wooden box. Thanks for the grats everyone. I'll be one of the good ones.

Congrats. Hope your box was sweet.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

:chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay:

Thanks everyone! I am alive and well, only minor cuts and bruises, and going to bed soon. Had a lot of "fun".

Box photo

:chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Did you get fat already?