Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

They're going to "forget" to provide tellers again, aren't they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Noxville posted:

Bear in mind this is mostly from polls before Johnson spent a week revealing how comically incompetent he actually is as Prime Minister.

I remember that brief period where people hadn't realised what a poo poo Theresa May was and she was hailed as the most popular prime minister in decades or whatever

would be nice if the upcoming election turns out the same way hers did. would say i hope for it, depending on what the current thread consensus is on hope being a lie or not currently. it seems to swing back and forth with the tides

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
sadly there's a lot less horny propaganda news covers about borris

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

The most powerful self own if this actually works for a VONC.

Angepain posted:

I remember that brief period where people hadn't realised what a poo poo Theresa May was and she was hailed as the most popular prime minister in decades or whatever

would be nice if the upcoming election turns out the same way hers did. would say i hope for it, depending on what the current thread consensus is on hope being a lie or not currently. it seems to swing back and forth with the tides

After last time I can believe in anything happening during the election period so there's always hope!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ms Fuchi posted:

It's a reference to opening up trade with the US without EU food standards, allowing the US to send us chlorinated chicken

But isn't that something that Johnson would be in favor of (re: signing a UK-US trade deal post-Brexit)?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Fargle posted:

Snap elections have a minimum required campaigning time of six weeks right? So if Corbyn holds out another two before an election is called, ie: the allotted time under the FTPA for the Opposition to try and gain the confidence of the House in a VONC, then by default the election happens after the Oct 31 deadline.

Not even that. If Corbyn holds out until next Thursday Parliament has to be prorogued, meaning an election can't be called until it returns about five weeks later.

Boris has basically hosed himself with the proroguing stunt.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mozi posted:

But isn't that something that Johnson would be in favor of (re: signing a UK-US trade deal post-Brexit)?

Yes, Boris used his own weakness as a jibe against someone else, no it doesn't work but people are going to pretend

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Boris Johnson goes through one of those nightmares where you're naked and speaking in public and everyone is laughing at you except it's in real life and broadcast all over public television, BUT... BUT bear with me here, bear with me, he called Corbyn a CHICKEN, a CHICKEN loving OWNED for doing exactly what he said he was going to do all along the loving COWARD

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gasmask posted:

i wonder what it is about female mp jess phillips that makes people so cross

I wonder what it is that makes someone like Angela Rayner a lot more relatable when talking about the experiences that formed her politically than her colleague Jess Phillips

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Not sure why this is at all surprising? The no dealer gammons will abandon the Tories should BoJo break his solemn promise. This is why it's vital that the election is delayed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

and if you're still wanting more punishment after he calls you a chicken, he'll call you the worst insult he can think of ... a big girl's blouse. this works because jeremy corbyn is from the 1970s and that is the last time anyone actually called anyone that

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Chinese Gordon posted:

Not sure why this is at all surprising? The no dealer gammons will abandon the Tories should BoJo break his solemn promise. This is why it's vital that the election is delayed.

Yeah, seems pretty straightforward to me. Boris promised that Brexit would mean Brexit on Halloween and no later.

If we still don't know what the gently caress Brexit means after halloween then he appears as trustworthy as he actually is.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Mebh posted:

Hey Medical goons, my wife and I currently live in the NL and we're seriously looking at moving to the UK. (yeah, great timing I know)

Medical question for the UK. The wife is on Lorazepam mandated by a psychiatrist here as a necessity for severe anxiety during sleeping that causes self destructive tendencies (she gets non stop intrusive thoughts without it and massive Insomnia)

Does anyone know if that'll be allowed in the UK since she has a medical history a mile long from Europe. Or will they be like "nope, we don't do that here"

From a few pages ago, but there's nothing in particular that would prevent a UK GP from prescribing regular Lorazepam unless they don't want to.

Lots of them might not want to though. because being on regular benzos isn't a good way to manage any psychiatric condition because tolerance and addiction develop so quickly. So they might recommend or even insist she try something else. All depends on what kind of doctor you get.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

jabby posted:

Not even that. If Corbyn holds out until next Thursday Parliament has to be prorogued, meaning an election can't be called until it returns about five weeks later.

Boris has basically hosed himself with the proroguing stunt.

It lasts for five weeks? What the actual gently caress. :psyduck:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It lasts for five weeks? What the actual gently caress. :psyduck:

it was boris' masterplan to stop parliament passing any no-deal preventing legislation by removing as much time between now and brexit as possible. It worked perfectly

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Okay but why do they think if they vote for Bojo before then he won’t have to ask for an extension? Isn’t it at this point set in stone that he’ll have to?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Yep. It's the longest proroguing in Parliament history, right?

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 5, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Blasmeister posted:

removing as much time between now and brexit as possible

Too bad Corbyn has Requiem

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

it was boris' masterplan to stop parliament passing any no-deal preventing legislation by removing as much time between now and brexit as possible. It worked perfectly

of course it would work, specific deadlines in the very near future are a well known famous tactic for discouraging people from getting serious about working towards their goals

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Okay but why do they think if they vote for Bojo before then he won’t have to ask for an extension? Isn’t it at this point set in stone that he’ll have to?

If there's an election on Oct 15 and the Tories win a majority then they can repeal the bill before the EU summit on the 17th. If they are allowed to campaign on repealing the bill and no deal then they will hoover up BXP votes, unite the gammons and win a majority with 35% of the vote thanks to our amazing electoral system. This is why the election must be delayed.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

If you have ultra brainspiders and believe in the ~Good Deal~ which only happens on the 31st Oct if Boris plays chicken with the economy then you would vote for Boris

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Doccykins posted:

Evening Standard

Crossposting from the politoons thread because of how amazingly well this has aged.

Chinese Gordon posted:

If there's an election on Oct 15 and the Tories win a majority then they can repeal the bill before the EU summit on the 17th. If they are allowed to campaign on repealing the bill and no deal then they will hoover up BXP votes, unite the gammons and win a majority with 35% of the vote thanks to our amazing electoral system. This is why the election must be delayed.

Yup. If the election is after the 17th the Tory platform has to be 'let us run down the clock yet again until the end of January and we'll go through all this again only hopefully it won't get blocked this time'. Which is not nearly as compelling.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Rees-Mogg apologizes to Dr Nichol.
Still thinks we're brexiting on 31st October.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...x-a9093871.html

Meanwhile, if you want a giggle, check out #sharpiegate

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I just keep going back to the first thing my father said when he heard Brexit passed the vote, "they'll just keep delaying that forever" and well... I got nothing...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1169744934443868161

That switch from Labour to LibDem suggests tactical voting to me.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1169749837295886337

Not so good.

Did anyone watch QT? Am seeing comments that our Em didn't do us proud.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 6, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

plus the whole oct 31 #brexitday #surrenderbill #BattleOfBrexit bs is a perfect backdrop for a GE as far as Bojo is concerned - it's ideal for rallying voters who feel like we're in the final stretch, and that there's one last fight to be won. That's why he's so desperate to get it, quickly

get an extension and it just deflates the whole campaign, and acts as more attrition - Leave voters just check out of the whole process, or fall in behind Farage instead since the tories are obviously useless

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

lol its gonna really suck if we get miliband'd and projected labour vote is much lower than expected but instead of lefties angry at the Racist Mug its centrists angry at antisemitism

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1169744934443868161

That switch from Labour to LibDem suggests tactical voting to me.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1169749837295886337

Not so good.

Did anyone watch QT? Am seeing comments that our Em didn't do us proud.

Were these council or parliamentary elections?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Captain Fargle posted:

Were these council or parliamentary elections?

Council as far as I know, so would need to see turnout to get a better idea.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Council as far as I know, so would need to see turnout to get a better idea.

I figured it must be, since I presume the thread would be making a lot more fuss if it was Parliament.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Have a thing to ask the thread: How do you all deal with feeling uncomfortable/dealing with conflict.

I don't know how to deal with feeling uncomfortable other than to run away or to, quite literally, shove my fingers in my ears and try and pretend I am not there. I don't like doing this and would like to not. Any ideas?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

Have a thing to ask the thread: How do you all deal with feeling uncomfortable/dealing with conflict.

I don't know how to deal with feeling uncomfortable other than to run away or to, quite literally, shove my fingers in my ears and try and pretend I am not there. I don't like doing this and would like to not. Any ideas?

Need more info.
If its something that will affect you, or cause blowback in future on you, it may be best to sort it out now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

happyhippy posted:

Need more info.
If its something that will affect you, or cause blowback in future on you, it may be best to sort it out now.

Essentially I am realising a lot of my behaviours are lovely and need to change and I am trying to find out how to do it. Like today at work our boss was telling us how they've changed certain rules related to seating. We are all in a fairly open plan space, but don;t have much time to discuss it as it is more an announcement as we need to do opening up. The problem is that I know it's going to be contentious and I just want it to be over since nothing is going to get resolved in under 20 mins. So I realised I had, quite literally just looked down at my notes, covered my ears and hummed my way through it.

I know what happened and what was going to happen, but even being present in the same room as people getting mad at each other made me essentially try and check right the gently caress out. This isn't normal and I need to change that. Also yeah the seating rules are not all that important, but a lot of people get very cross about it because we are all cross about the organisation in general and want every opportunity to complain. I think that's good, but it doesn't change anything.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 6, 2019

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Sounds like me when a smoke alarm goes off. I can never understand why other people don't seem to react to them like me. The noise makes me feel like I have shooting pains in head and I almost go into a panic.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Josef bugman posted:

Practice

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Josef bugman posted:

even being present in the same room as people getting mad at each other made me essentially try and check right the gently caress out. This isn't normal and I need to change that.

Yell

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It’s going to be hilarious in a week when Johnson continues his “why won’t Labour support an election?!” line and the answer will be “because you perogued Parliament and we can’t vote on one”.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

Essentially I am realising a lot of my behaviours are lovely and need to change and I am trying to find out how to do it. Like today at work our boss was telling us how they've changed certain rules related to seating. We are all in a fairly open plan space, but don;t have much time to discuss it as it is more an announcement as we need to do opening up. The problem is that I know it's going to be contentious and I just want it to be over since nothing is going to get resolved in under 20 mins. So I realised I had, quite literally just looked down at my notes, covered my ears and hummed my way through it.

I know what happened and what was going to happen, but even being present in the same room as people getting mad at each other made me essentially try and check right the gently caress out. This isn't normal and I need to change that. Also yeah the seating rules are not all that important, but a lot of people get very cross about it because we are all cross about the organisation in general and want every opportunity to complain. I think that's good, but it doesn't change anything.

Eh, I don't think that's too unusual. Like I'm the kind of person who tries to resolve stuff, in the "yeah it sucks but we need to make the best of it" kind of way, trying to smooth things over instead of letting people talk past each other or get into misunderstandings that just ends up in upset. And if you can do that (or have a go) then great, but if there's nothing you can do then why get dragged into it emotionally? You can't always fix everything or make people see sense, sometimes you gotta check out

I mean it's probably better if you can be present and zen about the whole thing, but honestly you don't owe them that if they're fighting in front of you and making you uncomfortable. And you didn't cause the problem either, so don't feel responsible

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

If it's a government motion then they'd be providing tellers for Aye. If they don't do that then the VONC would fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

I think this is quite normal.
A lot of people hate conflict and will either do their best to ignore it or try to walk away from its source if they can.

People belittling their partners or having a snidey ''argument' in front of me makes me feel very embarrassed and just want to escape.

The situation you describe about office seating - if you really don't mind where you end up sitting, try to ignore the arguments around you, if you are allowed to either get some headphones and listen to music while you're working or a pair of ear defenders to block it out. If anyone asks you to side with them or your opinion, just say you don't really mind where you end up and say you're not getting involved.

If you do have a preferred place, just state it simply and clearly and then leave it to work itself out if you don't want to argue about it.

I even feel uncomfortable about some scenes on tv dramas (arguments and such like) and mute the tv til the scenes are over.