Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi friends. What are some cool fat modpacks that are more recent than 1.7.10? I'm playing the appropriately named "The 1.7.10 Pack" that I found on the Technic website, but eh it feels kinda old. Some of the tech mods on there like IC2 and AE2 are pretty inaccessible and its a bit tiring to have minecraft wikis open constantly when playing.

Whats a cool modpack that is equally wide in scope, newer, and potentially less tech/full automation centric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ATM 3 is lit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks Turtle. Know any servers/private services with minimal mod disabling/pruning? I'd like to not play alone, but I'd like the pack as untrimmed as possible (though I get why certain things like chunkloaders or physical mob farms would be disabled).

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Theres a few 1.12 modded minecraft servers in PGS. I don't think any of them are running ATM3 but some like Progress have pretty beefy modpacks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FTB Academy is pretty good in the beginning but eventually you run out of reasons to keep progressing down the various tech trees, and you're burned out enough by then that the magic mods just sound like more work. I wish the pack had a particular goal to work towards other than "make the next thing", or had a sense of pacing so it could mete out the magic and tech parts a little at a time.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpossibleShyCutworm-mobile.mp4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm trying to use Thaumcraft and Tinker's on 1.12, but I have a query.

Does 1.12 have the recipe book integrated, like 1.14? I can't seem to get it and I'm wondering if it's because Thaumcraft modifies the UI.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

more sevtech fuckery: any way to set up pumping infinite water into a garden cloche? extremely early age 4, trying to set up an always-on biodiesel system

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Patware posted:

more sevtech fuckery: any way to set up pumping infinite water into a garden cloche? extremely early age 4, trying to set up an always-on biodiesel system

A well (Age1 or 2, iirc) with two source blocks around it will generate infinite water and can be pumped out with a liquid hopper.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rynoto posted:

A well (Age1 or 2, iirc) with two source blocks around it will generate infinite water and can be pumped out with a liquid hopper.

jeez i didn't even see that thing. thanks

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I obviously don't understand the swapping here beyond condensing these items to a single slot, but how is this more convenient than just using an inventory normally?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I obviously don't understand the swapping here beyond condensing these items to a single slot, but how is this more convenient than just using an inventory normally?

This is dank/storage which is a new mod made because dank/null wasn’t going to be updated (mod drama now happening).

Just consider it a super backpack because if you look at the bottom left you’ll notice the # of items being held. You can’t hold 10000 of any item in your regular inventory. dank/null when fully upgraded was max integer storage for each of its slots.

The main benefit for something like this is that you can also have it void excess items, so you put a piece of dirt or cobblestone in it and it will void any extra you get that go beyond its ability to store without cluttering your inventory.

If you play a pack like dungeons, dragons, and space shuttles this is super useful because there are 12 million different versions of stone. Though dank/null was removed due to an item deletion bug and I don’t know if the mod pack dev will add either this or dank/null back in.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

I'm trying to use Thaumcraft and Tinker's on 1.12, but I have a query.

Does 1.12 have the recipe book integrated, like 1.14? I can't seem to get it and I'm wondering if it's because Thaumcraft modifies the UI.

It does, and there should be a little book icon by the crafting grid in your inventory. I know thaumcraft doesn't remove this because I keep clicking it accidentally (and hate it), but I also don't know if it includes modded items. You could just use JEI?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's not there at all, weird. I think it's Baubles that might be doing it which is integrated with Thaumcraft and claimed to be a dependency.

I might install a recipe mod, I just really like the vanilla reicpe book honestly. Also having a real hard time generally giving up all the gorgeous QoL stuff from 1.14 like water and trapdoors/fences/stairs being able to cohabit and stuff like the signal fires.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
In volcano block the abstract barrel will dupe stackable items. Accidentally came across it while playing around with it trying to figure out why anyone would actually use it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Am I seriously expected to dig my way upwards all the way to 255 in Stoneblock 2? Is there anything that makes it less tedious and awful?

EDIT: Doesn't matter, I deleted my world out of frustration. This was completely unfun.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 6, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Am I seriously expected to dig my way upwards all the way to 255 in Stoneblock 2? Is there anything that makes it less tedious and awful?

EDIT: Doesn't matter, I deleted my world out of frustration. This was completely unfun.

i don't know which bugged me more, the dig upwards or constantly blundering back down. that climb should've been a quarter of what it was, it would be a million times more convenient to have to dig downward to accommodate anything that needed height

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Patware posted:

i don't know which bugged me more, the dig upwards or constantly blundering back down. that climb should've been a quarter of what it was, it would be a million times more convenient to have to dig downward to accommodate anything that needed height

Yeah that was loving stupid. Also there’s a lot of stupid grinding with the whole sifting thing, and the questbook guide doesn’t guide you towards automating any of it. I really don’t understand what progress is supposed to look like in that pack, it is not very well designed. There’s a lot of points where I’m called to do something I expect to have RF for and yet it never came.

Might give it another chance if I can figure out a way around those pain points.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"welcome to our liquid page! imagine - all of these liquids can be yours"

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh I already have one barely-started pack ADHD is keeping me from working on, now I want to make a skyblock style pack set in space on a space station.

Why hasn't anyone (except Astroblock which doesn't count because you're only supposed to be there on the ship until you can get to earth) ever done this before? I had a lot of hopes for the Galactic Science packs but they never were finished.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 8, 2019

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Ugh I already have one barely-started pack ADHD is keeping me from working on, now I want to make a skyblock style pack set in space on a space station.

Why hasn't anyone (except Astroblock which doesn't count because you're only supposed to be there on the ship until you can get to earth) ever done this before? I had a lot of hopes for the Galactic Science packs but they never were finished.

I remember one relatively obscure one that was on technic. Paradox or parallax something or other. Started out with minechem and some sort of possibly custom antimatter mod, a three day countdown that was supposed to like delete the world or something if you didn't complete the questbook in time.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

I remember one relatively obscure one that was on technic. Paradox or parallax something or other. Started out with minechem and some sort of possibly custom antimatter mod, a three day countdown that was supposed to like delete the world or something if you didn't complete the questbook in time.

Mindfold Paradox.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

Aftermath was a pretty good pack for this, though it is a few years old by now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Aftermath was a pretty good pack for this, though it is a few years old by now.

I loved Aftermath, which I also guess fits what I'm talking about, in an odd way.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Ok i think that Development of mods is going to die soon,

Sponge has declared 1.12.2 is LTS API 7.

Forge has declared as soon as there is a Stable Build of 1.14 then 1.12.2 will be no longer supported and even their discord will refuse to assist developers who are not on the latest build.

This is stupid and is playing up to what Microsoft/Mojang are trying to do - break the will of the Mod Devs so they can shutter the java version going forward.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that sounds extremely hyperbolic

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TheresaJayne posted:

This is stupid and is playing up to what Microsoft/Mojang are trying to do - break the will of the Mod Devs so they can shutter the java version going forward.
1.12 will keep working like 1.7.10 does now. 1.14 Forge has massive improvements for mod devs.

If modding dies it's because people lost interest in modding. Forge used to break stuff once or twice per year before. It has been relatively stable for many years, and they're breaking stuff with 1.14 for the hopeful good of modkind.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Do the forge people give assistance to people wanting to make mods for 1.7.10 currently?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

TheresaJayne posted:

Ok i think that Development of mods is going to die soon,

Sponge has declared 1.12.2 is LTS API 7.

Forge has declared as soon as there is a Stable Build of 1.14 then 1.12.2 will be no longer supported and even their discord will refuse to assist developers who are not on the latest build.

This is due largely to the changes between 1.12 and 1.13. I doubt that it has anything to do with a nefarious plot by Microsoft to force everyone onto the Bedrock Edition.

Modded Minecraft is a niche market as it is. Legacy versions of Modded MC are a niche of a niche. You seem to have a really good grasp on running servers for packs for 1.5.2, 1.6.4, and 1.7.10, so I am continually surprised at how indignant you are about this every time it comes up. The majority of players want to play the latest version, and the API devs want to work with the latest version, so they are taking measures to do that. It's their prerogative.

Given that I am seeing modders talking about porting big mods to 1.14.4 as well as plenty of mods already being updated, no, modding isn't dead. Support for your niche is dying, but that's an unfortunate reality of software. Legacy versions are discontinued all the time.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

TheresaJayne posted:

To this specific point: I don't think that MS/Mojang has done really anything to the modding community lately other than release updates. For better or worse, they mostly ignore the modding community entirely, but the fact that they've continued to support Java for five years since the acquisition means that it's a hilariously slow burn sinister plan, if there is one. I think Microsoft bought and killed the entire mobile division of Nokia quicker than that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Related to modding, apparently Microsoft also released or is going to release deobfuscation maps for the Minecraft client, which cuts out quite a bit of the busywork that makes mod APIs like Forge possible.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
There is an entirely new API in development entirely separate from Forge. So, no, modding is not dead. Making the switch from Java 8 to 11 also took massive effort.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Related to modding, apparently Microsoft also released or is going to release deobfuscation maps for the Minecraft client, which cuts out quite a bit of the busywork that makes mod APIs like Forge possible.

Why are they obfuscating it in the first place? To save a few kilobytes of space? It’s not like JavaScript, where unobfuscated code can cause a noticeable impact on your bandwidth costs.

I bet modders just came up with way better names for basically everything, and they’re embarrassed to show their hodgepodge of conflicting code styles added to whatever ungodly mess Notch made.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be surprised if there's even a speck of notch code left.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Double Punctuation posted:

Why are they obfuscating it in the first place? To save a few kilobytes of space? It’s not like JavaScript, where unobfuscated code can cause a noticeable impact on your bandwidth costs.

I bet modders just came up with way better names for basically everything, and they’re embarrassed to show their hodgepodge of conflicting code styles added to whatever ungodly mess Notch made.

It's an anti-piracy measure, typically. Looking back, it seems silly -- Minecraft's one of the most successful computer games out there, so it's obvious that piracy wasn't a huge issue. However, think of it in terms of being a nobody indie dev -- it's worth your time to do it and it's not difficult, so why not?

As for the reason it persisted for so long? Inertia. Software typically goes through a build process, and if something is working, there's little incentive to change it. This is especially true when you inherit a project you didn't build yourself (as was the case when Microsoft bought Minecraft) -- making an essentially cosmetic change to the build process could have unintended side effects, so why bother?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
How do you complete the mana challenge in Volcano Block?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Which is to say, it'll make poo poo a LOT easier going forward?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay yeah I can't goddamn take it anymore. Stoneblock is a huge crafting rabbit hole and there's only so many times I can stare at a laundry list of stuff to make and do so I can make a single component of some godforsaken machine before I begin to question why I'm playing this in the first place. This is so loving boring.

I can't do it. I don't understand how other people do it. It's like tedium incarnate. I feel stupid playing this.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 11, 2019

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pollyanna posted:

Okay yeah I can't goddamn take it anymore. Stoneblock is a huge crafting rabbit hole and there's only so many times I can stare at a laundry list of stuff to make and do so I can make a single component of some godforsaken machine before I begin to question why I'm playing this in the first place. This is so loving boring.

I can't do it. I don't understand how other people do it. It's like tedium incarnate. I feel stupid playing this.
90% of my stoneblock 2 experience was spent holding the fast-forward wand on a chicken breeder.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Pollyanna posted:

That sounds like entirely too many minecraft modpacks lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've seen people complain about it and sometimes modpack authors will slide in with a smug-rear end "You need to automate it" but it's like they don't even understand their own design.

Why on earth would I sink the resources into automating, say, thermex coils, in a pack where the endgame is EnderIO and you haven't changed the recipes? Why would I devote so much of my resource income to something that I'm ultimately going to need -maybe- 10 of? Not only do minecraft modpacks not have many shared components, even in a skyblock where the resource income is renewable and automated, the resource cost is almost way too prohibitive to actually automate anything. It often costs a lot of metal to actually make the tubes/conveyors/whatever, but the sheer resource drain of making a chest full of something is going to leave you with none of those materials for an amount of time. Nobody is going to automate anything with that much of a cost to them, so players end up either hand-crafting everything or rushing to AE2/RS as fast as possible to get around crafting chains altogether. And that's without things like GregTech levels of complexity which just makes the whole mess go from tedious to unfun.

I'd like to see a pack focused on automation designed like Factorio, but I don't think Minecraft as a game is at all built for the massive resource draw necessary for something like that. Maybe you'd be able to get away with it on a skyblock but then it wouldn't be much different than any other skyblock, you just wouldn't need to make literally everything from every tech mod in the pack for no reason.