Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The secret forum with two goons talking was 100% real and I remember one of them going "I think they will find us soon" before people started dropping in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

The secret forum with two goons talking was 100% real and I remember one of them going "I think they will find us soon" before people started dropping in.

basically someone in a GBS thread found out about a delisted but still active forum, and a few people went "oh, that's neat" and posted a couple of threads in it. Then they got bored and forgot about it. Call now and Kheldragar, however, continued posting in there for ages and ages. It may have been literal months, I don't remember. Eventually someone remembered the delisted forum(or possibly just looked at one of their post histories for unrelated reasons) and revealed it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone have a link to the saga of the terrible dog lady in Australia?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does anyone have a link to the saga of the terrible dog lady in Australia?

value-brand cereal posted:

Fishy fishy: I wanna get a maremma Sheep dog
Pet Island: Do not do the thing
fishy fishy: I also have an autistic preteen + his cat and a preemie baby and I'm getting a maremma sheep dog
Pet Island: this is the worst idea and here's why. I'm an experienced sheep dog owner of XX years trust me.
fishy fishy: ugh why aren't any of you being helpful
Pet Island: this dog will eat your cat, preemie baby, and autistic 12 yo child in that order
fishy fishy: says nothing because she's abandoned the thread
Pet Island: hey this person popped up on other sites saying the maremma sheep dog she just got is displaying dangerous behavior to her autistic 12 yo.......... huh.

Edit: the follow up: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/forums/showthread.php?293116-How-to-find-a-farm

"He is a maremma sheep dog! He is so beautiful and cuddley but he has started guarding me! :shocked face: When my children are around, he used to love them, now he is starting to see them as threats! :shocked face:"

Edit 2: " Our Dog. Kirby. Kirby is a Maremma sheepdog and is HUGE! We had a problem with him for a while with the kids but we got that all sorted out. He is always roaming our yard making sure everything is AOK before coming inside. When he is inside he just lays still and DD is usually all over him. DS has dubbed him "sit, sit, sit." Whenever DS says it, Kirby walks up and lays down in front of DS. " from here, posted a few months later. She still has the dog and no one is dead. Pet Island success story?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
hahaha what the gently caress, it never occurred to me she might actually keep the dog and even learn to handle him? if he's bonded with those kids they are never going to be bullied in their lives

Bluh
Dec 28, 2012

ArfJason posted:

the kheldragar-call now epic lovedump :333333 X33333

Never post again

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It was a “how dare you make me read this with my own eyes” type joke.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
well it was a perfect summation of what went down in the Lovedump

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's nothing that turns a community into a living nightmare faster than enforced positivity.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bluh posted:

Never post again

That was rude.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GBS has a PhotoShop thread going on right now to make SA propaganda. I bring this up because many of the submissions reference people and events we've talked about there and it's an excellent thread, and also just because I need a place in PYF to post this stupid stupid thing I made.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

GBS has a PhotoShop thread going on right now to make SA propaganda. I bring this up because many of the submissions reference people and events we've talked about there and it's an excellent thread, and also just because I need a place in PYF to post this stupid stupid thing I made.

first of all I am deeply and personally offended to learn that a PYF mod reads GBS

secondly I would pay irl money for that shirt if I was tipsy when it got announced

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I actually don't typically, GRIND just occasionally links me photoshop threads he thinks I might like :)

also lmao can you imagine trying to explain that shirt to someone irl?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I would wear an entire wardrobe if oldpainless puns, and never explain them to anyone

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You see like five years ago, on this forum where I post, this person named oldpainless was like "I am getting pretty bored of all these 'more like' lazy jokes" and then someone quoted him and did THAT EXACT THING and also the subforum of the forum is kinda known for lacking discussion but being full of lists and while it's still kinda dumb we don't do lists now so like

Yeah like an internet forum, a message board

Hey come back

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

ugh

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RFC2324 posted:

I would wear an entire wardrobe if oldpainless puns, and never explain them to anyone

more like old explainless

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I thought you might like that :angel:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

also lmao can you imagine trying to explain that shirt to someone irl?

I would wear that shirt.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

WHAT I POST
isn't good or relevant
i will NOT quit making lists
IM A pyf POSTER
i will never log off

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

goatsestretchgoals posted:

• WHAT I POST
  • isn't good or relevant
  • i will NOT quit making lists
  • IM A pyf POSTER
  • i will never log off

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

This is missing the follow up here that looks like it's from after she posted on that other forum: https://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/165357-my-maremma-puppy/

quote:

I have a 17 week old male maremma. He is the most well trained and beautiful pup. There is nothing wrong with him when he is around us inside or out walking but he has a thing.

He is a LGD and as such is funny in our yard when either myself or my son is not at home. He has started to guard a tree!!! He races and barks at birds that go near it and has ripped up all the shrubs around it.

I was thinking of getting him a rabbit friend for our yard so he can guard something that is alive when he is alone. I was actually thinking of 2 Flemish Giants. Would this fix the problem? :wave:

I have searched the internet and could find nothing on this.

quote:

The thing is he is not a strong guarder. He would be no good on a farm that is why we have him. He is on his own for maybe 20 minutes a day on average. He is just so funny about this one tree. It is sort of funny to watch but i know that it is a bad habit that needs to be broken. He just goes funny when my son and i arn't there. It used to be just crying all the time now it is a love fest with a tree.

quote:

I am not fussed about the barking. It is the ripping up any plants that are near the tree. Grass is included. He smooches the tree like a cat and has a general love fest with it. Also i didn't make it clear but my puppy is hopeless at guarding. He is scared of everything!!!!!!!! Loud noises, little dogs, cats. He finds me and runs and hides behind me when he is scared and shakes. Or he will try to hide under my sons bed. We go for a walk and he runs up to anyone and rolls on his back for tummy rubs. I think he loves the tree because it is non threatening.

edit- also good lord how has this spread across so many forums now :psyduck:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
So, the puppy went insane and embraces the tree like a lover?

IIRC she did give him away, because duh, but I can't remember where I heard it and I'm at non-goonbrarian work.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

It's a working breed, a herding dog, but she kept it tied up in her yard so it imprinted on a tree instead of kids or sheep. It's not just a bad habit and it can't be unlearned. That's just one of many ways she ruined that poor dog for life.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Syd Midnight posted:

It's a working breed, a herding dog, but she kept it tied up in her yard so it imprinted on a tree instead of kids or sheep. It's not just a bad habit and it can't be unlearned. That's just one of many ways she ruined that poor dog for life.

Wow, who could have predicted such an outcome?!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is missing the follow up here that looks like it's from after she posted on that other forum: https://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/165357-my-maremma-puppy/

edit- also good lord how has this spread across so many forums now :psyduck:

Because eventually she reveals enough to get run off a forum/they heckle and shame her. So she goes to the next telling a new version of the story, and the cycle repeats itself because even if she can hide her past gently caress ups, it's pretty easy to see she's making the worst possible choices for her dog and children

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

We should hook her up with Careful Drums. Maybe they can form a polyamorous, sludge-based group marriage with Blue Story and Zgura.

Don't worry about the kids; they won't.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

How long have those puns been going on for? I know it’s been years but I can’t remember how many.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How long have those puns been going on for? I know it’s been years but I can’t remember how many.

more like oldtimeless

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Syd Midnight posted:

Maremmas are a Livestock Guardian dogs, which don't actually herd animals. They imprint on sheep or goats like that and spend their lives guarding herds from predators. Like one of those mall security robots except it actually works and doesn't get bullied by children or commits ritual suicide in fountains.

If this sounds like a terrible dog to try to keep in a pet home well now we have documented proof why that is.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nuns with Guns posted:

Maremmas are a Livestock Guardian dogs, which don't actually herd animals. They imprint on sheep or goats like that and spend their lives guarding herds from predators. Like one of those mall security robots except it actually works and doesn't get bullied by children or commits ritual suicide in fountains.

If this sounds like a terrible dog to try to keep in a pet home well now we have documented proof why that is.

Sounds like a great dog to have as a pet if you have a kid. You just have to actually take care of the dog and train it to know it's job

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

RFC2324 posted:

Sounds like a great dog to have as a pet if you have a kid. You just have to actually take care of the dog and train it to know it's job

Good luck disciplining the kid without the dog freaking out

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hot Diggity! posted:

She's also going to have a lot of trouble getting in on that sweet treelaw money train if the dog keeps the neighbours from cutting it down.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hot Diggity! posted:

I've only worked with pyrs, who you can teach that yes, you are part of the herd and yes you should be disciplining the kid.

Are maremmas not that smart?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

I've only worked with pyrs, who you can teach that yes, you are part of the herd and yes you should be disciplining the kid.

It's going to have more to do with the owner of the dog than the dog not being that smart.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inceltown posted:

It's going to have more to do with the owner of the dog than the dog not being that smart.

so yeah. it sounds great to me, as long as you are willing to put in the time with the dog

tying the dog to a tree is not putting in the time

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You could also just get a dog that's naturally good with families and leave working dogs to, you know, work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Who What Now posted:

You could also just get a dog that's naturally good with families and leave working dogs to, you know, work.

Guardian breeds generally ARE good with families tho. They are bred to be easy to work with, and are normally intelligent enough that you can trust them to have good judgement with kids.

They just need to be trained properly to get along in their life, just like literally every dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RFC2324 posted:

Pyrs are more common and many of their lines have had the crazy protect drive diluted down enough for pet homes. They get brought up as a point of comparison in the original thread as a milder version of a maremma:

quote:

A livestock guardian breed is nothing like a herding breed or a staffy, I can tell you that right now. I mean, do what you want, but these dogs are pretty serious and intense. Whoever said this will not be a fluffy "dog park pal" type of dog is spot on. My Great Pyrenees is a rescue, but as far as I can tell his issues are fairly typical in the breed when raised by an average owner - that's what his previous owners were. They didn't abuse, neglect or mistreat him, they just didn't have the time or knowledge to handle a very large, very independent, very dominant dog. He is male dog aggressive, barks at everything under the sun (the rescue got him debarked - he's a prototypical livestock guardian temperament but has awful hips and back so can't be an effective working dog), doesn't really "play" like a normal dog (his playing involves mouthing, smacking with his paws and tackling - not exactly good for a young kid), and must be slowly and painstakingly introduced to visitors to the house and then acts like a giant demanding jackass to them even after they've been here awhile.

He will demand attention from visitors to the point of being pushy (pawing insistently and mouthing), body block them when they try to go anywhere in the house that we haven't "approved" of them being, growl when one gets too close to one of us, and he even arbitrarily decided that the area beside the couch was off-limits to guests, and lunges at people who put things there and then reach down for them later.

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a LGD attacking your own family, as the dog will likely bond with and become protective of them, but what are you going to do when your kids inevitably have friends coming in and out of the house all the time? This isn't really a breed for that sort of lifestyle. So I guess if you are asking how they do in that environment, an urban, busy environment with a lot of activity - my answer is "poorly." We have a small-ish duplex with a medium sized yard, in a small community that I wouldn't describe as "urban" and we rarely have visitors here. Sam is still a little much to take sometimes. And Pyrs generally make better pets than Maremmas.

quote:

LGDs =! Staffies. I have had both. The former was a Pyr, which is a softer breed than a Maremma. I would have never in a million years had him in an urban setting, with two very young children. Maremmas are not "rare," and they suck poo poo as protection breeds for families because they take it TOO SERIOUSLY and will seriously hurt someone. They are nothing like staffies or herders, not in the remotest sense.

quote:

My Pyr was raised around semi feral barn cats and he played with several to death before his first birthday.