Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
alright so I'm having a weird problem

for some reason my MAPINFO for map01 is working, but not for map02

this is the entirety of my MAPINFO file:

code:
map MAP01 "BLACK NO 1"
{
   next = "MAP02"
   secretnext = "MAP02"
   sky1 = "RSKY1", 0
   cluster = 1
   par = 150
   sucktime = 1
   music = "music/aroma_of_spite.it"
}

map MAP02 "IMPOSSIBLE SPIRES"
{
   next = "MAP03"
   secretnext = "MAP03"
   sky1 = "RSKY1", 0
   cluster = 1
   par = 210
   sucktime = 1
   music = "music/KommSusserTod.mp3"
}
is there something I need to add or remove for GZDoom to use my level name and music for map02?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

alright so I'm having a weird problem

for some reason my MAPINFO for map01 is working, but not for map02

this is the entirety of my MAPINFO file:

code:
map MAP01 "BLACK NO 1"
{
   next = "MAP02"
   secretnext = "MAP02"
   sky1 = "RSKY1", 0
   cluster = 1
   par = 150
   sucktime = 1
   music = "music/aroma_of_spite.it"
}

map MAP02 "IMPOSSIBLE SPIRES"
{
   next = "MAP03"
   secretnext = "MAP03"
   sky1 = "RSKY1", 0
   cluster = 1
   par = 210
   sucktime = 1
}
is there something I need to add or remove for GZDoom to use my level name and music for map02?
Is there any specific error message that pops up? Because I don't see anything wrong at a glance.

Personally, I like to keep all my music filenames to within ye olde MS-DOS 8-character limit so I don't have to be as specific with the file path.
code:
map NULL02 "Ambient Morality"
{
	music = "mi-embas"
	sky1 = "SKYDUSKB"
	next = "NULL03"
}

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:hmmyes:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Is there any specific error message that pops up? Because I don't see anything wrong at a glance.

I'm not getting any error at all, GZDoom just shows "Underhalls" for the level name and uses the default music. I can upload the .pk3 if that would help, maybe? I'm not really good at this, a lot of why I'm making this WAD is to play around with poo poo I don't really fully understand. :saddowns:

It's the N64 version, too. :getin:

(Is there any way to set different music depending on difficulty? It'd be funny to have relatively normal music on ITYTD-HNTR, and then on UV have the Mario 64 soundfont version of Komm Susser Tod. Y'all will... see why if I upload it. I got almost comically loving mean with this map on UV.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 5, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

This took way too loving long to achieve. gently caress Informants and their idiotic lack of self-preservation. And gently caress those stupid Plasma Alien spawning "Generator" tiles. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(Is there any way to set different music depending on difficulty? It'd be funny to have relatively normal music on ITYTD-HNTR, and then on UV have the Mario 64 soundfont version of Komm Susser Tod. Y'all will... see why if I upload it. I got almost comically loving mean with this map on UV.)
I didn't test it, but this ACS script aught to do the trick.

code:
#include "zcommon.acs"

script "AlternateMusic" OPEN
{
	if (GameSkill > 2) // if the skill setting is greater than HMP
	{
		SetMusic("music/KommSusserTod.mp3", 0);
	}
}

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Kins posted:

I didn't test it, but this ACS script aught to do the trick.

code:
#include "zcommon.acs"

script "AlternateMusic" OPEN
{
	if (GameSkill > 2) // if the skill setting is greater than HMP
	{
		SetMusic("music/KommSusserTod.mp3", 0);
	}
}

Would that work after save/load? I mean I see the OPEN trigger and that's supposed to be a total failsafe option for when the map initially loads, but it's been so long since I used ACS for music changing that I can't remember if it checks again after loading a savegame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean it's a film that invents its own crazy reason for why Bale's character and others like him don't get riddled with bullets despite standing in the middle of a bunch of people all with guns trained on them, so yeah you're not supposed to focus on anything realistic especially the gunplay. It's awesome.

The part I love is that the director and choreographer had two different ideas of what gun-kata is supposed to look like.

So in some scenes Christian Bale is standing perfectly still, with his arms whipping around shooting everything perfectly.

But in other scenes he's dancing around and jumping and moving like he's practicing martial arts.

Somehow both of these are "gun-kata"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Play the Hall of Mirrors mod for Max Payne 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuep8LNQYw

WHOA

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Would that work after save/load? I mean I see the OPEN trigger and that's supposed to be a total failsafe option for when the map initially loads, but it's been so long since I used ACS for music changing that I can't remember if it checks again after loading a savegame.
The current music is saved into the savegame.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm playing Ion Fury and it's really fun.

I didn't buy it, and it sucked that the devs were such shitlords.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

Yeah I can't refund it so have been playing through and, as fun as it is, I just have a nagging feeling that makes me feel guilty about it. Like somehow I'm validating those opinions by playing it even though I find them abhorrent. It's loving annoying :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Arivia posted:

Uh, I'm fairly sure that Filez is strictly against forum rules.

Also, I'd like to think that we should know better than to use the logic of "I don't like that person, so stealing from them is OK, mostly because I really want to."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nah, gently caress em

also youre dismissal of why theyre bad in this case is extremely side-eye worthy

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Yea, gently caress those guys. I'm also fairly certain at one point, between meltdowns, they told everyone to go ahead and pirate it because it's only 93mb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

Uh, I'm fairly sure that Filez is strictly against forum rules.

Also, I'd like to think that we should know better than to use the logic of "I don't like that person, so stealing from them is OK, mostly because I really want to."

Sharing :filez: or where to get them is against the rules. Acknowledging that you've pirated is kinda different? (But probably best not to chance it)

Its not theft, its copyright infringement. So not really the same. Its still wrong but if you otherwise wouldn't have bought the game, it really doesn't hurt anybody. Oh boy, can of worms here we go.

(I paid for Ion Fury and can't refund, so I'm playing it off and on. I'm definitely bummed about all the poo poo though and would otherwise be sharing a ton of Ion Fury fan-art but as-is I can't get too excited. And like someone just said there's probably some decent people at the company, they're not all TerminX. But if I was a good person there, I'd be looking for a new job. Course that's not always easy for everybody... yadda yadda )

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 6, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

No no not this poo poo again let's talk about why Wolf3D's Mutants are a lovely unfun enemy .

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh boy, is it time to remind people that the entire Dev team doesn't deserve to suffer just because of the actions of a couple bad people again? Cool, can't wait to do this with the same 5 posters every single time the game comes up itt

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Oh boy, is it time to remind people that the entire Dev team doesn't deserve to suffer just because of the actions of a couple bad people again? Cool, can't wait to do this with the same 5 posters every single time the game comes up itt

enough chuds spite-bought the game that a handful of people pirating it because they don't want the devs to get money isn't going to hurt the bottom line

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not what I was talking about. Pirating is a victimless crime unless it's the absolute smallest of independent publishers. What I'm talking about are the people who still believes that voidpoint "deserves" it, as if pirating the game is an act of Retribution against them. Nobody around here gives a poo poo if you pirate in the game and the only reason to mention it is if you want us to give you brownie points for some reason

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Not what I was talking about. Pirating is a victimless crime unless it's the absolute smallest of independent publishers. What I'm talking about are the people who still believes that voidpoint "deserves" it, as if pirating the game is an act of Retribution against them. Nobody around here gives a poo poo if you pirate in the game and the only reason to mention it is if you want us to give you brownie points for some reason

I'm assuming you'd state that you pirated the game on this forum because you're afraid of the backlash, not to earn brownie points?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Actually I was gonna ask if anyone knows some way I can toss $5 to the HDoom guy, they deserve it for their work.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
alright i am extremely changing the subject here's what i have so far of that WAD

download me

if someone wants to poke it and see what's causing my MAPINFO problems on map02 i'd appreciate it

e: ITYTD is braindead, HNTR should be easyish, HMP should be a reasonable challenge, UV is just hilarious

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from talking about the game here either. I liked what I have played of it. Unfortunately, I feel so gross playing it at this point that I don't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Not what I was talking about. Pirating is a victimless crime unless it's the absolute smallest of independent publishers. What I'm talking about are the people who still believes that voidpoint "deserves" it, as if pirating the game is an act of Retribution against them.

They both do and don't deserve it, which is what makes it a mess.

Like, if you called up some random employee and gave them poo poo that wouldn't be great. Just like if you yell at the cashier at chic-fil-a, that's not really right. But if you hope for chic-fil-a's demise I can't fault you.

You can't give the company money without giving all the company money.

The big thing here for me is like, voidpoint sure seems to stand behind terminx. If the rest of the company told him he was a shithead and banned from commenting publicly on twitter anymore, I'd feel a lot better. (better yet fire him)
Again, there's probably some decent people there, but either they're looking the other way (and so not quite so decent) or they have no power. They're the minority at Voidpoint, not the majority. Or else things would have come out different.

CJacobs posted:

Nobody around here gives a poo poo if you pirate in the game and the only reason to mention it is if you want us to give you brownie points for some reason

CJacobs I like you a lot and I think you're a cool dude. I think this is going a little too far though. I see where you're coming from but this is kinda rude and assumes bad intent which isn't really fair.

The main point of that post was that they're playing the game and enjoying it. The latter part, the way I read it, was more of a disclaimer to prevent this very argument, rather than trying to "show off for brownie points".

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm assuming you'd state that you pirated the game on this forum because you're afraid of the backlash, not to earn brownie points?

Bingo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
-I mention the Filez thing because I was probe'd back in 2008 for mentioning that I played a warez copy of something. I suspect things might be tolerant nowadays but doso at your own risk. Also we've all grown up and can probably afford our drat video games.
-I am not dismissing why they are bad. They said some bigoted things and didn't recant? I'm not following all the links posted here but I think we all agree that they're fuckers.
-Yes, piracy as theft vs unauthorized copying is a huge can of worms and this might not be the place for it. But my point is that we can all agree that its morally/principally on the wrong side of things. The point I was trying to make is that just because someone's a bastard, isn't carte blanche for you to be one too. This isn't about the morality of stealing bread to feed your starving family, this is about not wanting to patronize a bad persons business (good!), by then pirating their product (eh?), which by the way is a loving retro niche video game that would have cost you nothing to simply not play it. It's not in a persons principles to support a bigot, but said same principles are perfectly fine with pirating it??

I'll stop there before the derail gets too huge, sorry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Happy Hedonist posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

CJacobs I like you a lot and I think you're a cool dude. I think this is going a little too far though. I see where you're coming from but this is kinda rude and assumes bad intent which isn't really fair.

The main point of that post was that they're playing the game and enjoying it. The latter part, the way I read it, was more of a disclaimer to prevent this very argument, rather than trying to "show off for brownie points".

Fair enough, but it really annoys me to see that people feel they must now preface their posts with "of course I pirated it instead of paying for it" because those who do that are playing into the hands of the crappy chud people. That's literally what they told you to do. You're playing their game by spouting that it should be pirated whether your intent is to avoid implying you're supporting the bad people or not.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i really dont feel like relitigating this tonight, so ill just say that concerns about other employees would be valid if they hadnt put out a second statement as a company reversing course on their apology and declaring that they in fact are going to be fuckers and directly target gamergators as their core constituency

so no, i see no moral problems with it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Fair enough, but it really annoys me to see that people feel they must now preface their posts with "of course I pirated it instead of paying for it" because those who do that are playing into the hands of the crappy chud people. That's literally what they told you to do. You're playing their game by spouting that it should be pirated whether your intent is to avoid implying you're supporting the bad people or not.

We're just gonna have to accept that each of us has a little different feelings on this one. None of us can argue definitively some philosophical deontological argument that this is morally absolute, so we're just shouting our feelings at each other.

And I can understand how that annoys you, but I can also understand how some of the posters in this thread may be less patient or careful in their wording, or be hyperbolic, or again, even actively cheer their demise. This issue very clearly annoys them. It annoys me!

We're just gonna have to accept that on this one we're all gonna behave a bit different and try best to get along :) (and to be very clear, by "a bit different" I don't mean some of us agree with Terminx. I mean some of us have stronger reactions to voidpoint. I don't think anybody here agrees with terminx thank jesus tittyfucking christ)

So I think a good middle ground is if you don't post a "disclaimer" like that its okay, nobody harasses you and demands to know if you've bought it or not, but also if someone does say something like that, that's also okay.
Its just a really lovely issue. Its hard to even talk about.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Quake 1 grenade ping for everything

I like this, it's such a distinct sound and I might have to switch to it. I've been using the metal gear solid 2 codec sound for years

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 6, 2019

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I still have that Tetris effect where I hear the Quake grenade sound out of nowhere, for no reason. I'd never know when I had a notification.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I think I'd run for cover if I heard BOUNCE.WAV out of nowhere.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im bummed Civvie's video didnt do the kill them both ending which I thought was awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy Hedonist posted:

I still have that Tetris effect where I hear the Quake grenade sound out of nowhere, for no reason. I'd never know when I had a notification.

Normal brain: 1up phone notification sound
Better brain: MGS Alert phone notification sound
Even better brain: Quake grenade 'ping' notification sound
Galaxy brain: your phone asks your opinion, out loud, about piracy of Ion Fury, causing you to throw it in disgust. It makes the Quake ping as it hits the ground.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 6, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

No no not this poo poo again let's talk about why Wolf3D's Mutants are a lovely unfun enemy .

God drat the Wolf 3D mutants scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. Just those red eyes and the knives and the way your health melted the instant you crossed paths with one.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Well they had an annoying rate of fire for one. Also no sounds till they were pelting you with bullets usually from the side or behind you.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You learn something new every day, I only had the shareware as a lad, and I've never gotten to episode 2. Those guys look pretty intense, metal.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

alright i am extremely changing the subject here's what i have so far of that WAD

download me

if someone wants to poke it and see what's causing my MAPINFO problems on map02 i'd appreciate it
Works fine for me in GZDoom v4.2.0. Both levels have their proper names and music as specified.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

God drat the Wolf 3D mutants scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. Just those red eyes and the knives and the way your health melted the instant you crossed paths with one.

Wamdoodle posted:

Well they had an annoying rate of fire for one. Also no sounds till they were pelting you with bullets usually from the side or behind you.
When I first started playing Wolf3D all those decades ago, my old family PC didn't have a soundcard (this was the dark ages after all) so I had to make do with the PC Speaker for a year or so. Believe it or not, it made Mutants worse to cope with. Everything else makes a cartoony bleep-bloop noise to let you know it's on your case but then one of these zombie motherfuckers silently pops up out of nowhere and the screen goes bright red along with a deafening BRRT BRRT sound as the bastard opens fire. Forget Eisenfaust, E2 was Operation: Brown Trousers and I absolutely dreaded trying to make progress.

Heavy Metal posted:

You learn something new every day, I only had the shareware as a lad, and I've never gotten to episode 2. Those guys look pretty intense, metal.
Episode 2 is loaded with them (obviously), and Episode 6 is pretty liberal with their use too. Worst of all though is Spear of Destiny; the back half of that game sprinkles them around like confetti and there's even a secret map which might as well be called Mutant Maze. I loving hate playing that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6Z3A0 this is bitchin

I have an extremely stupid joke image idea regarding the Revenant but I can't find the right reference image to make it.