Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Nocturtle posted:

Has anything substantial been done to improve the conditions at the border camps? There were those high-profile congressional representative visits, did anything come of those? I ask because I saw this article about a mumps outbreak in the camps and it sounds just as bad as ever:

Denying legal aid because the unnecessarily detained refugees had to be quarantined after contracting a dangerous illness due to poor living conditions inside govt operated concentration camps is evil on several levels.

Not that I know of. I'm not sure what really became of the congressional visits, or if anything could have come from them aside from making the conditions within the camps more visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dammerung posted:

Not that I know of. I'm not sure what really became of the congressional visits, or if anything could have come from them aside from making the conditions within the camps more visible.

oh they tamped down on those, because apparently congress was being too mean to the camp guards, so now we just don't get to see what's going on. You know, like we never saw where they were keeping the young girls and all. Oh well!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dammerung posted:

there are spot efforts on a state-by-state and facility-by-facility basis (especially on vaccination stuff, because even red states have mixed feelings about a potential mumps outbreak) but it's an uphill battle even in the places that are making an effort for lots of very obvious reasons

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't that when he almost threw his roommate out a window

who among us has not wanted to throw their roommate out a window at some point

(i hadn't heard about it before)

quote:

Finding Levine’s bed unmade while on inspection duty, Trump — who was “insanely neat,” according to Levine — threw the sheets on the floor. Levine in turn “grabbed everything that was grabbable” and began throwing things at Trump, hitting him with a broomstick, he recalled.

In response, the future president pushed Levine toward a second-floor window, he said, and tried to push him out — but two fellow cadets intervened.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 6, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The Louisiana Department of Health is already trying to solve the MMR issue because the northern triangle had an outbreak, but of course no one knows what ICE plans on doing if anything. We can get shots and people to give them but without anyone letting us in and agreeing to let people be trackable there's fuckall we can do at the moment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

I mean that's the whole point of the russia madness. Sure there's partially general sour grapes/not wanting to admit you got owned by a big senile freak like Trump but a lot of it is just 'well no...there has to be a plan here right?' Like, he can't just be a randomly spiteful racist, right? He's gotta be trying on purpose to make things bad, for Russia, that's why he weirdly thinks Baltimore is hell on earth and cares more about Alabama's hypothetical grazing by the hurricane than the Carolinas currently getting hit by it. It's Russia, they want him to do it and he's getting marching orders from Putin, that's the only explanation that makes sense to them for why he's like this because admitting 'oh, yea, the presidency isn't magic, it doesn't actually 'change you', it just is unchecked power and someone who's a petty tyrant just gets to become a real one' is real hard.

i think it does change people(for better or worse) the issue is trump has so little character or personality besides narssism/being a prick/bigot, there isnt much to change. as for russia. my belief has always been putin just views trump as a useful idiot and helped him somewhat but outside that their isn't some deep plan between the two. trump respects putin because putin is what trump desperately wants to be and putin probably head patted him at times.

Random Stranger posted:

President Trump is about as close to actual Lovecraftian horror as you can experience. You thought you lived in a sane, rational universe? Jokes on you, there's a mad, gibbering god at the center of everything who brings about wholesale destruction through a combination of petty indifference and outright spite.

that too.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1169782689257447424

Just lol that trump is going to watch shucks eye slide off her face while eating breakfast.

Amazing Zimmo fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 6, 2019

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1169816655213420544

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1169782689257447424

Just lol that trump is going to watch shucks eye slide of her face while eating breakfast.

please, he has his first morning cheeseburger at 6am, this'll be second breakfast

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

please, he has his first morning cheeseburger at 6am, this'll be second breakfast

Trump has hobbitesque feeding habits, and we see what happens when you feed a Trump after midnight...

see, i'm combining pop culture like you, the common people

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there are spot efforts on a state-by-state and facility-by-facility basis (especially on vaccination stuff, because even red states have mixed feelings about a potential mumps outbreak) but it's an uphill battle even in the places that are making an effort for lots of very obvious reasons

That's something, at least.

sexpig by night posted:

oh they tamped down on those, because apparently congress was being too mean to the camp guards, so now we just don't get to see what's going on. You know, like we never saw where they were keeping the young girls and all. Oh well!

This is how I understood it. My only response to people I've talked to wondering why the visit didn't seem to lead to anything or have a point is that it needs to come down to us to push for change using the information they gleaned from their visit. It is upsetting to realize how toothless the checks and balances within our system are without backing from the executive branch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

...He’s right, you know :eng101:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1169407182305157120

Once again, the age of trump.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah I know... a stopped clock drawn by trump can be right every hundred years or so.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1169346661027667968

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nine-gear crow posted:

Can we claim tax breaks now?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I'm not sure what can be gained by posting Donald Trump Junior's posts, as he rarely seems to post/argue in good faith, but I gave the article he linked us to a shot. It seems misleading and more like Smollet's lawyers are dubious about him paying the costs of the investigation.

quote:

“My client from the beginning has maintained his innocence and disputed the city’s allegations,” said William J. Quinlan, of The Quinlan Law Firm, who filed the motion. He noted that “it’s going to be very difficult for the city to prevail in making a case my client should pay for overtime for a case ultimately dismissed by the state’s attorney.

“It’s ridiculous and a stretch to require him to do so.”

But the latest court filing contends even if Smollett did make a false report, there is no way the city can assert he would have known the city would investigate — and investigate it to the extent cops did.

“We contend the city is wrong,” Quinlan said of the city’s assertion that Smollett should have known the police would log nearly 2,000 hours in overtime trying to resolve the case. “ ... The mere fact somebody filed a police report doesn’t presume the investigation will be done and certainly not to the extent of what the city is claiming.”

It came out to something like $130,000 - that's a lot to put somebody on the hook for. Wanting to garner national attention and wanting to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars do not equate to one another.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dammerung posted:

I'm not sure what can be gained by posting Donald Trump Junior's posts, as he rarely seems to post/argue in good faith, but I gave the article he linked us to a shot. It seems misleading and more like Smollet's lawyers are dubious about him paying the costs of the investigation.

It came out to something like $130,000 - that's a lot to put somebody on the hook for. Wanting to garner national attention and wanting to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars do not equate to one another.

This whole thing is so loving ludicrous. There's no loving charges, the victim is not on the hook for investigative costs. If you think he filed a false report, charge or gently caress off.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1169784485166104576

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

This whole thing is so loving ludicrous. There's no loving charges, the victim is not on the hook for investigative costs. If you think he filed a false report, charge or gently caress off.

Absolutely! That tweet presented a very misleading overview of what his lawyers were arguing for and how the case is currently shaping up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Nocturtle posted:

Has anything substantial been done to improve the conditions at the border camps? There were those high-profile congressional representative visits, did anything come of those? I ask because I saw this article about a mumps outbreak in the camps and it sounds just as bad as ever:

Denying legal aid because the unnecessarily detained refugees had to be quarantined after contracting a dangerous illness due to poor living conditions inside govt operated concentration camps is evil on several levels.

Spoilers for the final episode of the TV Series Years and Years

Years and Years is an excellent 6 part mini series from the BBC. It starts in 2019 in Britain and goes through roughly 10 years of society. During the time there is a Trumpian politician that ends up gaining political power, by using similar Trump methods (accusing media of fake news, appealing to racism, working with Russia etc).

In the final episode it's revealed that her plan for the migrant "concentration camps" is to let them all die of disease. But it will be more they will die because the gov't doesn't do anything to stem diseases. It ends up that a number of refugees end up dying in these camps, which is all to her liking. It ends with Viv getting arrested for her crimes against humanity.

Years and Years is really good but holy gently caress it gave me anxiety.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I lol'd. gently caress these morons. You voted for this

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't that when he almost threw his roommate out a window

It's sometime after beating up his music teacher

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Rewatching Demolition Man and boy do I have a much more favorable opinion of San Angeles than I did as a kid.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

They're not going to do anything, because the detainees getting sick would cement the "they're bringing diseases" claim.

The reality that they got sick here due to medical neglect and unsanitary conditions won't get through to Trump voters.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

Rewatching Demolition Man and boy do I have a much more favorable opinion of San Angeles than I did as a kid.

Eat rat burgers while shoving three seashells up your rear end

I was fined one credit for saying "rear end"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Eat rat burgers while shoving three seashells up your rear end

I was fined one credit for saying "rear end"

Lmao u don't know how to use the 3 seashells

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's amazing he keeps posting poo poo from the 28th, 29th, and 30th to defend his tweet. he made his tweet on the morning of the 1st. you can go and look at the models from an hour before he made that tweet and the projections had already changed to it moving up the coast. it's to the point some people in this thread think he made the initial tweet when it was still up in the air where the hurricane would go.

CubanMissile posted:

they don't have sex. sounds like hell.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1169922686774063105?s=21

Everyone forgot about him but I guess this counts as news

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/TPM/status/1169941461930000384

quote:

The South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona and Kansas Republican parties are preparing to toss their 2020 primary or caucus processes, a sign of how thoroughly Trump loyalists have pervaded the system.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

bobjr posted:

Oh no, stop, come back...

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

they don't have sex. sounds like hell.
Fluid transfer?!? :barf:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Military Base Loses Funding for New School to Trump’s Border Wall https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/us/trump-border-wall-military-families.html

As a former BRAT, fuuuuuuuuuuuck trump. Clearly supporting the troops does not mean doing anything positive for them, just waiving a flag and having tanks at your rallies.

E: oh drat, this is in McConnell's back yard too

quote:

In normal times, the Fort Campbell middle school project would have a powerful political ally in Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader. In a January op-ed in The Louisville Courier-Journal headlined “Here’s How Kentucky Families Benefit From McConnell’s Clout in D.C.,” Mr. McConnell boasted that he had “secured much-needed assistance for Fort Campbell, Fort Knox and the Blue Grass Army Depot, helping the men and women serving there keep America safe.”

ewiley fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 6, 2019

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Being that his approval rating with republicans is like 90-something percent (and that republican voters are all rich and/or old brain-dead morons that only possess the ability to point at a name with “R” beside it), this doesn’t matter much at all. It’s still kind of hilarious in a “what are you afraid of” sort of way.

Though it is telling that they’re protecting him because he’s basically made white-collar crime legal these last few years and they’re afraid to lose their scapegoat for when it all comes crashing down.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

ewiley posted:

Military Base Loses Funding for New School to Trump’s Border Wall https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/us/trump-border-wall-military-families.html

As a former BRAT, fuuuuuuuuuuuck trump. Clearly supporting the troops does not mean doing anything positive for them, just waiving a flag and having tanks at your rallies.

E: oh drat, this is in McConnell's back yard too

Republicans never cared about the Army beyond a propaganda piece. See: invasion of Grenada, the Purple Bandaids from the 2004 election.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

J.A.B.C. posted:

Republicans never cared about the Army beyond a propaganda piece. See: invasion of Grenada, the Purple Bandaids from the 2004 election.
Wasn't John Kerry one of the few guys who came back from Vietnam into prominence like with every medal that they can give you while you're still alive and he still got treated like a coward just because he had a D right next to his name?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1169948497241677824

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't John Kerry one of the few guys who came back from Vietnam into prominence like with every medal that they can give you while you're still alive and he still got treated like a coward just because he had a D right next to his name?

Yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bobjr posted:

He basically quit months ago but just made it official now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ripoff posted:

Being that his approval rating with republicans is like 90-something percent (and that republican voters are all rich and/or old brain-dead morons that only possess the ability to point at a name with “R” beside it), this doesn’t matter much at all. It’s still kind of hilarious in a “what are you afraid of” sort of way.

Though it is telling that they’re protecting him because he’s basically made white-collar crime legal these last few years and they’re afraid to lose their scapegoat for when it all comes crashing down.

I love the implication that in every other election, they've had multiple people jockeying to be the GOP's great hope, factionalizing the base and having heated debates, arguing salient points, disagreeing on policy matters, negotiating and horse-trading and forming alliances and everything. But now every single Republican agrees, Trump is precisely what they all wanted all along.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

I could see him losing a few percent due to republicans angry at being disenfranchised like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...He realizes someone other than him has to bring a case about it to the Supreme Court, right?

Oh who am I kidding, he probably thinks he has John Roberts on speed dial (he's right)

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 6, 2019